What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Been working on improving the look of the Falcon.

0307iCr.png

Now we're talking!

And obligatory:

"You came in *that* thing? You're braver than I thought..."

:D

7 hours ago, Akagi said:

Oh crap.

oeUT2t3.png

Ah yes, Lightspeed Kerman, notorious known for consistently losing contact and 'disappearing' from all radar screens as soon as he punches the throttle.

No worries, they'll just as mysteriously show up again, as soon as he decides to slow down.

So, an update on the B A L L ring station core: It didn't get to orbit. Drag keeps screwing (and flipping) the rocket over, and the one time it did get somewhat close to an actual ascent, the payload disconnected from the lifter, so I either need to build an entirely new rocket to achieve orbit, boil off Kerbin's atmosphere, or wait until I get to a very high (50-65 kilometers) altitude before turning for any form of circularization, which I'm confident the rocket has enough delta V for (since it has lifted almost everything else I've put on it to the point where I'm not sure the maximum payload capacity can even be reached in normal gameplay,) but I'm not confident that I can pull it off. I guess an 80-meter diameter spherical fusion pellet tank with a pole through the middle isn't what I should be using for the core, huh?

I'll have to try something more conventional, unfortunately, since even the SpaceY fairings don't get large enough. Maybe something 10 to 20 meters in diameter, if it can fit in the fairing? While it may be more practical to launch an orbital construction dockyard and construct the ring habitat in, well, orbit, and assemble it there, that spoils the fun a little. No pics because I don't have access to my computer right now, and there wasn't really anything new to show anyway.

If more issues like this keep coming up, which I'm expecting from the ring segments, I'll just make a space elevator on Minmus instead and repurpose what's left as a refueling station, deorbit it, or launch it at the sun at relativistic speeds.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

21 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

I either need to build an entirely new rocket to achieve orbit, boil off Kerbin's atmosphere, or wait until I get to a very high (50-65 kilometers) altitude before turning for any form of circularization

You could use MechJeb's Ascent Guidance feature.  Just set the inclination and circularization altitude, make sure you turn Autostaging on, and let the computer do the job.

13 hours ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

Sometimes the kraken requires Kerbal sacrifices... May they rest in peace.

During reentry, the engines exploded, the craft flipped, the fairing exploded, but everything else survived. Note to self: do NOT deploy parachutes in warp.

53 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

You could use MechJeb's Ascent Guidance feature.  Just set the inclination and circularization altitude, make sure you turn Autostaging on, and let the computer do the job.

I could've been sitting back and relaxing as Mechjeb literally does all the work for me?

I'm gonna get at least 200 tons of extra payload capacity on that rocket just from that better ascent, aren't I? I mean, it doesn't stop the atmosphere from sending the rocket to Spain without the A, but it's still more capacity.

On a side note, I've discovered that scaling up a SpaceY Emu engine with the 2.5m mount to the 15m of the first stage tank not only provides a better TWR and DV than the clipped monstrosity of 80 Emu engines formerly bolted to said tank, it gives off Sea Dragon vibes and is very cool. I wonder if I can abuse utilize this to reach 4,000 tons of payload capacity? Y'know, for funny.

Continuing from last episode...

I screwed up. A lot.

I forgot that standard docking ports are higher that Juniors, so I couldn't dock most of payload for Mun mission.

So I took just one rover, left engine section in low orbit...

xDSssdd.png

Successfully landed and deployed rover...

exX2im5.png

And found out that all deployable science experiments felt out of boxes somewhere on the way...

i1TRRBU.png

At least elevator works fine.

I finished the 1950s in the Historical Space Race challenge (shameless plug).  The last flight was Luna III, which is the first gravity assist of the Moon; the satellite launched North and then came up and around the Moon from South to North, taking shots of the far side of the Moon as it was lit up by the Sun.

Of course, I had to get a lot closer to Mun than historically, primarily because the Mun's SOI is far less than the actual Moon's.  Also, had I not gotten that close, I would have risked being ejected into solar orbit.

Launched, or rather, tried to launch, a small colony ship in one launch from a new rocket. Unfortunately for me, I apparently did a frame-perfect click while the craft was loading on the launchpad and the game closed. Below is a screenshot from before I reverted since I forgot the kerbals.

88EA6FE9D71CCB98056B154DD061DB7732E64A63

EDIT: Decided to put some info on this new rocket here (because I don't have anything new from last night to post other than Mechjeb screwing up autostaging and somehow blowing the entire thing apart.) All propulsion (apart from the booster seperator motors) is provided by SpaceY Emu engines of varying sizes. The first stage consists of one 22.5m and ten 11.5m Emus with the 2.5m mount subtype, the second stage consists of three 7.5m and three 3.75m Emus, and the third consists of three 5m Emus. I don't know how much thrust it produces, but the TWR with the ~1,000 ton ship in the fairing is 1.43 on the third stage and without payload is around 1.48. Considering the third stage has the lowest TWR of all the stages, and estimating the fairing mass to be around... I want to say around 200 tons? That puts the total payload at just over 1,200 tons, and assuming a linear change, the maximum payload mass is just over 6,700 tons, assuming the minimum desired TWR is 1.20, and 9,120 tons at a TWR of 1.10. Most likely, the maximum payload is around 3,000-4,000 tons, but it's still enough to make me doubt my math. If it actually has enough DV to get to orbit with 7,000 tons of payload, I'll be shocked. I don't think there are any payloads that massive aside from fully-fueled and crewed interstellar colony ships or interplanetary cargo shipments. Maybe cloud cities for Jool or Eve? I've always wanted to do those, but I haven't yet figured out how to keep them stationary aside from ground anchors, and that won't work on Jool.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

I've spent the weekend getting adjusted to Blender 2.9 and while it is different it is also better. Made decent progress on the engine this afternoon. Still needs extra bits but the basic frame is done.

TLgrmY5.png

I also started a lot of fuss on the surface of Minmus.. not sure what I'm going to do with all this fuel.

8CJ7wnD.jpg

GbRrB3R.jpg

cm8iHJp.jpg

Unfortunately I forgot you needed those resource transfer station thingies for KAS and not just the receptacle ports so I had to daisy-chain some things.

I didn't play much at all, but I tried and failed at getting ksrss to work:

uYdI0fq.png

Any advice, anyone?

I also (while helping my mom with her desktop) spotted an old ksp instance of mine, poked around in the screenshots folder, and found two ancient relics from my first save:

VG4UODY.png

A totally cheaty Duna mission.

ZLE71z2.png

Yup, I cheated a comet into kerbin orbit.

@Space Cowboy@swjr-swis

Well the 3D modeling program was really kicking my bottom today. Everytime I fixed 1 thing it would tear a hole somewhere in the mesh. It really doesn't like long sessions. Still finding little errors here and there. It doesn't show you (as far as I know) which way around a face is pointing, so I usually only find out in KSP if something is backwards. Finally after many hours and iterations, the main hull looks good, a few small graphic glitches but hopefully not enough that people would care.

For the pilot who has a low budget we will sell you this. (Who really needs a cockpit?)

Spoiler

SbjIAs7.png6rv6tCk.pngzNVPU2I.pngWZTKcIn.png

Or if you are going to war you can have a War Hawk. I hope this has enough guns for you to take on the imperial hordes.

Spoiler

N0jzv6t.pngBt8xViE.pnghbUyn6x.pngHB50eTa.png

Edited by ColdJ

Fourteen months after I started it, my first RP-1 game is over. It survived a dead GPU, a somewhat ill-advised KSP update from 1.10 to 1.11 which was (and still is) unsupported by RP-1, and all manner of other distractions- both from KSP and other games.

I’ve spent most of this evening setting up a new RP-1 save in the experimental branches for KSP 1.12.3 and a new JNSQ install with a heavy emphasis on off-world construction and mining operations, both to try out mods I haven’t used before and as a bit of pre-KSP2 colonisation experience (and to see if I get any inspiration for Audacity, which is still going on the back burner). I’ll probably make reports for both in due course.

6 hours ago, Jacke said:

What do you mean by "higher" ?

rFeWy8N.png

Standard ports stick out further so it obstructed bigger cargo using Juniors. So mixing port sizes works only for micro cargo, like that tug drone, or if port is designed to stick out. Which I forgot to do so mission was mostly a failure.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:23 PM, Kerb24 said:

Finished up my Duna mission.

Hide contents

In solar orbit: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Near Kerbin: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Re-entry: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Landed in a random lake: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Mission Complete.

Your probe is really neat!

2 hours ago, PT said:

rFeWy8N.png

Standard ports stick out further so it obstructed bigger cargo using Juniors. So mixing port sizes works only for micro cargo, like that tug drone, or if port is designed to stick out. Which I forgot to do so mission was mostly a failure.

That's a cool design though. I admit I'm confused by the Octopus section in the back but it's unconventional anyway. ;)

Edited by Randazzo

Made some electric propeller aircraft powered by fusion reactors, allowing for effectively infinite airtime, limited only by the life support systems. If possible, I'd like to build a fuelless SSTO, using a fusion reactor to power the engines instead of LF/O to save weight, even though I'll probably end up building something massive enough to easily accomodate enough LF/O to get to orbit with a large payload using conventional engines.

TiKKfFI.png

xkPyVcq.png

On a side note, either I've been cursed by the kraken, or I've absorbed it and melded its power with my own, as this cursed screenshot tells you.

4rpVoPy.png

Seriously, what did I even do here? You don't usually achieve Warp 10 in normal gameplay.

Also, how would I keep a cloud city stationary without a ground anchor? I don't want it moving around or bobbing up and down within Jool's atmosphere.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

12 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Made some electric propeller aircraft powered by fusion reactors, allowing for effectively infinite airtime, limited only by the life support systems. If possible, I'd like to build a fuelless SSTO, using a fusion reactor to power the engines

err.... and how exactly are you planning to achieve orbit with propellers alone?