Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Posted (edited)

@Vanamonde ive not seen much in the way of bad gateways in the last 2 or so days but the blue box ? avatars keep popping up on mobile but ive no idea why they happen but besides making it hard to know on the fly who has posted w/out looking closely its mostly just visually inconvenient.

new page

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 7/1/2024 at 8:45 PM, AlamoVampire said:

do any of the mods miss the time and seeming stability of the vbulletin days? I kinda do myself as I honestly <the great purge not withstanding> do not recall seeing nearly as many connection issues with the forums back in those days with like the 502 bad gateway issues or the odd blue box ? forum avatars that I see now more often than not. Is it just me that misses those days?

As someone who's been around since pre-wipe days (I actually got wiped during the purge actually) the 502s have pretty much always been a problem. I remember a lot of those early updates had the forum down more often than up.

@Frybert i predate you by 4-ish months, i joined 08-07-2013 with my first ever post being titled Greetings! I survived the purge myself actually. But today to be more relevant ive seen a dozen 502s. @Vanamonde for me what ever stability was found was lost today for me. All of which has happened in the last 5 hours give or take.

As the poll has had a strong result for a while now, is there any chance of getting the layout back to pre KSP2 days soon?

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

As the poll has had a strong result for a while now, is there any chance of getting the layout back to pre KSP2 days soon?

The first time we shifted a while back it was weeks in planning.    This time it was thrown together with no discussion or prep by somebody who is no longer with us.     When we’re ready, we’ll get around to it.    For now, it’s works.   

25 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@Vanamonde idk about anyone else but the forums been extremely unstable for 2 hours hitting bad gateways like every 2 minutes

They come and they go.  We all see them.    Don’t know what’s causing them.    Could be a squirrel in a bad wire outside Utica.     Could be snarks gnawing on a trans-Atlantic wire.      If we ever figure out the root cause, we’ll fix em. 

2 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Why do you have to leave a comment on a thread to unfollow it? If you don't and just flick the switch at the bottom it doesn't stick.

Works fine for me.    If the bug persists for you, (try other browsers) then you can always goto “Manage Followed Content” under “Account” from the drop menu on the top right of the forums.  

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Could be a squirrel in a bad wire outside Utica.     Could be snarks gnawing on a trans-Atlantic wire.

It's Kraken.

When it had home, it was living there. Now the homeless Kraken is trying to find its place in the world.

I think it is an Internet-wide issue. I have been having similar problems with other websites today. An article that appeared in my newsfeed in April explains why there's more difficulty with webpage loading times. It seems the whole Internet is experiencing "bot traffic."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bots-now-nearly-half-internet-070000068.html

30 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Could be snarks gnawing on a trans-Atlantic wire.

@Snark, did you get hungry during the middle of the night again?

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:
35 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Could be snarks gnawing on a trans-Atlantic wire.

@Snark, did you get hungry during the middle of the night again?

It was a quote, btw.

I vote for Kraken.

21 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Ill say this, the kraken seems angry because its giving 502’s like corndogs at the fair!

At the community college where I still teach (unfortunately), we had a meeting about this. Since May 18, 2024, there has been a 370% increase in spambot attacks on social media, public works, financial, and educational websites. He said that while some of the bot attacks are to overwhelm servers with traffic to cripple them (he called this the most common reason some servers are having errors), some are more malicious and are looking for vulnerabilities within the site itself.

We are not the only site experiencing these kinds of attacks. The community college is also experiencing them and unfortunately, the course I am teaching this summer is affected as it's an online course.

17 hours ago, Gargamel said:
17 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

They come and they go.  We all see them.    Don’t know what’s causing them.    Could be a squirrel in a bad wire outside Utica.     Could be snarks gnawing on a trans-Atlantic wire.      If we ever figure out the root cause, we’ll fix em. 

I like the whole blaming this on @Snark thing. Lets go with that.

11 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

We are not the only site experiencing these kinds of attacks. The community college is also experiencing them and unfortunately, the course I am teaching this summer is affected as it's an online course

I did a shallow dive into the phenomenom and I have a theory.

If as I understand it, the company that hosts the KSP servers is used by over 40% of the web sites world wide and if I am right from stuff I have read that Chat GPT has access to the server. It may be that Chat GPT is inadvertently causing the problems by accessing the servers , looking for data, at a rate far greater than humans alone would be doing. And these high speed and numerous calls to the servers are overwelming them. When they were first established they would not have been thinking of the servers being accessed as fast as these AI programs do.