Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

1 hour ago, Mr. Kerbin said:

I’m back for the third time in a row :P, This time, to ask how, when, and why does it seem @Deddly got an upgrade. That said, where is “Forum Administrator” on the moderator scale? Is it like a new CM? Also, when is the “Your Moderators” thread going to get updated for this? 

We moderators are doing some adjustments, since we no longer have community managers to do it for us. Deddly likes the title, I guess. :)

5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

We moderators are doing some adjustments, since we no longer have community managers to do it for us. Deddly likes the title, I guess. :)

I had wondered. Did they go up, down or sideways in their ranking?

10 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I had wondered. Did they go up, down or sideways in their ranking?

It's not a promotion, it's just better admin access. Previously, some of us had the "Moderator Admin" role, which was more restricted. Snark and Vanamonde also have the same access as I, but we set Vanamonde's to show differently so that it's still clear who is the lead moderator.

32 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Is any effort going to be made to remove the KSP2 banner from the forums?  Or maybe just switch back to the original one?

It's been proposed but we moderators are not employees of the owning company, so I don't feel it's within our purview to remove that.  We've shifted things around but adding or removing content is a bigger issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, matthyno said:

Was wondering, how do I reply to this thread (hello and welcome)? It seems like a thread intending for new people but I can't send anything there.

Welcome to the forums.     There’s apparently a permission error for that sub forum that we’re working on.   It should be open soon(ish).  

Feel free to post anything else you’d like in the meantime.     Thanks for letting us know we’ve been slacking :)     

56 minutes ago, matthyno said:

Was wondering, how do I reply to this thread (hello and welcome)? It seems like a thread intending for new people but I can't send anything there.

Thanks for reporting this. We've heard that others had trouble with it too. I've changed a few settings, could you please let us know if it works now?

On 8/16/2024 at 5:34 PM, Deddly said:

Thanks for reporting this. We've heard that others had trouble with it too. I've changed a few settings, could you please let us know if it works now?

Seems to work now! Thanks!

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to build and edit Signatures for this forum?  If not, could someone provide one?  Perhaps you could ask someone with a fairly sophisticated Signature to built the tutorial.

Should I start a thread somewhere else to ask someone to develop and post this tutorial?  If so, where should I post it?  With its own thread, others could chime in with their own questions, and with methods used to achieve other results.

I've figured out how to do some of this stuff, but I've seen some signatures doing some things I wouldn't know how to do.  Here are some of the capabilities I would like to see in this tutorial:

• Add an image to the Signature
  • Add more than one image, left to right, to appear in the order desired
  • Insert an image between others
  • Rearrange the order of images
  • Put text to appear underneath (or above) only one specific image
  • Include a hyperlink with a specific image
  • Include a hyperlink with some of the included text
  • Insert html or other coding to format exactly how I want

Signatures are under your profile tab, under settings.    It’s then an option of that drop down menu.      

It uses the same WYSIWIG editor that the rest of the forum uses.     So the limits of the editor are the limits of the signature.     

If you would really want to, go ahead and create the tutorial yourself if you’d like.   We can post it here in the network section.   And don’t worry, the best way to get the correct answer on the internet is to post the wrong one, so feel free to post away.     If there’s a better way, or you did it plain wrong, somebody will be along to correct you, and then you can just edit the OP to make it look like you had it right all along! 

@adsii1970, in the following post, you talked about creating a single status update page.  I followed your steps yesterday, and somehow I created ONE status update page.  Is it possible to create a second and a third one?  I can't figure out how to create any more status update pages than the one that I now have.

On 8/25/2024 at 1:26 PM, Gargamel said:

If you would really want to, go ahead and create the tutorial yourself if you’d like.   We can post it here in the network section.   And don’t worry, the best way to get the correct answer on the internet is to post the wrong one, so feel free to post away.     If there’s a better way, or you did it plain wrong, somebody will be along to correct you, and then you can just edit the OP to make it look like you had it right all along!

OK, done.  Link is in my signature.

50 minutes ago, Poppa Wheelie said:

OK, done.  Link is in my signature.

Sadly, signatures don’t show on mobile.    Which is a good thing, keeps the bandwidth down.   

I saw the post and it’s very nice.     I’d hate to merge it into the “How to use the forums” thread that’s stickied at the top of the sub, but I’d also hate for it to slide into obscurity.    Why don’t you add a link to stuck thread so we don’t lose it?   

Edited by Gargamel