[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

17 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Shuttle/Agena study. Volume 2, part 1: Program requirements, conclusions, recommendations - NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS)

Shuttle/Agena study. Volume 2, part 2: Agena tug configurations, Shuttle/Agena interface, performance, safety, cost - NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS)

19720013176.pdf (nasa.gov)

19720013177.pdf (nasa.gov)

Shuttle Agena. Surprised it's not in game. It uses a new model of the 8XXX engine called the 8247. There are also various models including a short and fat Agena. Solar panels would be attached to a tug version. Lots of stuff. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

lB5i088.png

dR1PEo9.png

Erts5xY.png

1WCYvXs.png

Many parts to make Shuttle Agena are IN BDB right now.   But yes it isn't a perfect fit.

The BDB team has a composite of those reports I made a few years ago (2 3, or 4 I don't remember ATM)  That has all the drawings.    The Biggest additions for Shuttle Agena is the twin dish antenna for Agena and the SOT tanks.

On 8/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, Invaderchaos said:

TACSAT/TACOMSAT is cooking...

Capture.PNG'

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

image.png

4s01801.jpg

Hughes Spinner bus incomming! :D   Whoo! :D

8 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Many parts to make Shuttle Agena are IN BDB right now.   But yes it isn't a perfect fit.

The BDB team has a composite of those reports I made a few years ago (2 3, or 4 I don't remember ATM)  That has all the drawings.    The Biggest additions for Shuttle Agena is the twin dish antenna for Agena and the SOT tanks.

Like I said, I'm more interested in the other stuff, like short fat agena, space tug agena and shuttle agena solar panels. 

20 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

The biggest surprise was the parachute bridle trough between the hatches. I was surprised by the rough edges that you can see here. Closer inspection showed it to be a ceramic material. I believe this was used because it could protect the riser lines from the heat of reentry. When the crew pressed the button to go to the two point suspension, two metal bridle legs broke through the ceramic cover and deployed with the parachute risers. The two bridle legs were still barely visible folded up inside the trough. 

I really wanted to make the bridle function like real life for the BDB Gemini, but it was too complex for the limited possibilities presented by the KSP parachute module. (for one thing, parachutes can only be suspended through/rotate about a single point).

22 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Probably on the "too early" train, but thought I'd ask about the very low Viking TWR ...

20 hours ago, zw_45 said:

Viking orbiter uses a single RS-2101 engine derived from minuteman postboost vehicle thruster. The max thrust is 1.39kN in reality. So the TWR should be that low.

Correct - it's actually currently using the real thrust, not even reduced.

39 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well, this will be interesting! Not sure what the minimal capture burn would be at the optimal transfer window, but with the current TWR at Mars, a 400m/s maneuver is a 20 minute burn. And we don't have lander mass yet, or the scaled down thrust ...

24 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Well, this will be interesting! Not sure what the minimal capture burn would be at the optimal transfer window, but with the current TWR at Mars, a 400m/s maneuver is a 20 minute burn. And we don't have lander mass yet, or the scaled down thrust ...

That's pretty accurate, the real burn lasted nearly an hour

52 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I think the mass should be reduced as well. The gross mass of Viking orbiter/lander is around 3.4T. Using 25% scale, it should be less than 1T, but now it’s much heavier if we consider the lander.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Can someone make a BDB Extras patch to make the TWR like 0.15 to 0.20, Something that makes the burn to take like 5-10 minutes with 4x timewarp? 

@Friznit can you add an kepler section for the BDB wiki pls 

@CobaltWolf any updates on Viking landers? just curious? 

Dear BDB developers,

I just want to say that this mod is one of the BEST ksp 1 mods ever i seriously love using this mod for doing crazy alt timelines and other cool stuff i appreciate all of the effort that you guys put into making this the BEST mod that it could possibly be. its crazy to think how much the quality and amount of cool parts that are available to make rokets and spacecraf using this mod i really do appreciate your efforts in making this mod. It has inspired me to try to eventually learn to make part mods to complement you roket and spacecraft. My ksp installs would not be the same without this mod i REALLY really appreaciate the efforts that you guys put into this mod while also working 

Love your work 

Kspbutitscused AKA KBIC or ATS33

11 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

10 hours ago, Beccab said:

That's pretty accurate, the real burn lasted nearly an hour

Also, the orbiter never went into a circular. It remained in a highly elliptical orbit. Had an AP of like ~56,000 KM and a PG of ~320 KM. 

12 hours ago, zw_45 said:

I think the mass should be reduced as well. The gross mass of Viking orbiter/lander is around 3.4T. Using 25% scale, it should be less than 1T, but now it’s much heavier if we consider the lander.

We dont scale payload weight using the 25% rule. As a baseline we take the IRL mass (excluding prop mass) and then adjust as needed for performance.

13 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

We will take a close look at this sort of thing once the lander is available. But its not unknown for us to use IRL thrust or even overscaled thrust where necessary ( I think the peacekeeper Post boost vehicle has overscaled thrust, and I dont remember exactly but the LMAE and LMDE are I think somewhere between IRL and 25%).

Anyway rest assured we will work to find a good balance between having an impression of the real thing and usability.

Gotten back into the game recently and have been doing a "visit every planet, land if possible but orbit (for scansat) absolutely" run. Additional rule is no replica payloads and that has made it quite fun indeed! The orbiter program is SUNBEAM and the lander program is FRESNEL.

SUNBEAM 1

WL64tvk.png

FRESNEL 2 (1 went to minmus)

zsKZHkQ.jpg

LdpbWY5.png

VyXENxm.png

SUNBEAM 2

jr3M0JB.png

rKBhNpI.png
Tomorrow will add on my Eve/Duna orbiters (SUNBEAM Block 2/2+), my Dres orbiter (SUNBEAM Block 3) and later on my eve/duna landers (FRESNEL Block 2)

Edited by DeltaDizzy

1 hour ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Gotten back into the game recently and have been doing a "visit every planet, land if possible but orbit (for scansat) absolutely" run. Additional rule is no replica payloads and that has made it quite fun indeed! The orbiter program is SUNBEAM and the lander program is FRESNEL.

Heh, sounds like my usual playthroughs, with the added end game objective of "at least one viable colony on another planet that isn't Duna/Mars," which almost invariably breaks me because of transfer windows and life support requirement.  It's quite a challenge not doing replicas with BDB though!

10 hours ago, kspbutitscursed said:

@Friznit can you add an kepler section for the BDB wiki pls 

It's on my To Do list!  Just getting around to it whilst playing through a regular career game (also BG3 just came out...I know, there are other games apart from KSP, who knew!)

18 minutes ago, Friznit said:

Heh, sounds like my usual playthroughs, with the added end game objective of "at least one viable colony on another planet that isn't Duna/Mars," which almost invariably breaks me because of transfer windows and life support requirement.  It's quite a challenge not doing replicas with BDB though!

To be fair I never said anything about the rockets! :P Before this the farthest id gone was a Duna orbiter and Eve lander and wanted to try and fully commit. I did give myself a bit of an out in that I technically only have to orbit each body (and in the case of Jool there is probably some assist wizardry that can be done to recycle orbiters). So far it hasn't been too hard on the lander side but I haven't gone to vacuum planets yet...Dres will be fun (and its orbiter is probably my favorite yet)...

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

Heh, sounds like my usual playthroughs, with the added end game objective of "at least one viable colony on another planet that isn't Duna/Mars," which almost invariably breaks me because of transfer windows and life support requirement.  It's quite a challenge not doing replicas with BDB

Apollo block 6 has entered  the chat and saranus 8 with Kane lander

I was looking at doing a career playthrough that used BDB as the main parts mod, what combo of life support/tech tree mods would you use?  I'd also like to add in the Nertea and Planetside Exploration Mods.    I really like the science mechanics of Kerbalism but I am not sure that  is all that friendly anymore with the current state of BDB and the the other two parts packs.  

Any suggestions? 

1 minute ago, Galland1998 said:

I was looking at doing a career playthrough that used BDB as the main parts mod, what combo of life support/tech tree mods would you use?  I'd also like to add in the Nertea and Planetside Exploration Mods.    I really like the science mechanics of Kerbalism but I am not sure that  is all that friendly anymore with the current state of BDB and the the other two parts packs.  

Any suggestions? 

I'm doing Skyhawk + Skyhawk Kerbalism and it's going well but I haven't gotten very far.

Note there's a bug in skyhawk related to tanks that are originally configured for LqdHydrogen + Oxidizer; I wrote a fix here: https://github.com/CessnaSkyhawk/SkyhawkScienceSystem/pull/82

TACSAT/TACOMSAT is coming along well!!

Capture.png
Capture.png
While the mesh is complete, textures are still very WIP. No smudging or edge wear yet, along with other missing details. 

Capture.png

This bus is *big* spin-stabilized 1.75m in (KSP-scale) diameter, and with the antenna attached it is almost two stories tall. In fact, it’s one of the biggest Hughes satellites. Comes with roll thrusters and aft facing thrusters, and its own supply of monopropellant. The bottom attach point is 0.9375m in diameter. While TACSAT didn’t have an apogee kick motor, there is a spot on the bottom where you can attach one for your own custom missions. Top endcap is 0.3125m. 

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

The relay antenna is a separate, home world tracking antenna. The antenna also can fold up to fit in a 1.875m fairing. The bottom base is also toggleable. The combined payload can be launched to geostationary orbit on a Titan IIIC or to Molniya orbit on a Titan IIIB (for JUMPSEAT adjacent missions).

JUMPSEAT, one of Titan IIIB’s payloads is a SIGINT reconnaissance satellite. While it is still classified, it is known that its bus was built by Hughes and was allegedly based off of TACSAT’s bus. While it probably wasn’t exactly the same, at some point I might consider making a special antenna (based off of an early Hughes TDRSS proposal) as a stand in for JUMPSEAT to be used with TACSAT’s bus, but no promises.

On 8/16/2023 at 10:51 PM, Pappystein said:

Yup! It’ll be our second Hughes barrel sat (after the Syncom 1-3 part I just made). Ironically, while the Hughes satellites of BDB’s era were almost overwhelmingly spin-stabilized barrel sats, currently half of the Hughes satellites BDB features (after TACSAT) are Hughes’ rare non-barrel type sats (Surveyor and Surveyor orbiter).

On 8/17/2023 at 7:35 AM, GoldForest said:

Like I said, I'm more interested in the other stuff, like short fat agena, space tug agena and shuttle agena solar panels. 

At some point in the hopefully near future I will finally get around to making SERT 2’s solar panels and KH-8’s solar panels. In terms of Agena misc proposals, I found that the Vega tanks are a great analogue for a wide-body Agena kitbash.

Edited by Invaderchaos

6 hours ago, Galland1998 said:

Any suggestions? 

The typical recommendation right now is SkyhawkScienceSystem, which supports almost all the mods that mesh well with BDB.  I've had too many problems with Kerbalism so reverted to good old Tac LS, though Snacks works well too if you wanted a lighter touch (or add the Snacks optionals with stress for a heavier touch, indeed!)

On 8/17/2023 at 12:41 PM, CobaltWolf said:

I really wanted to make the bridle function like real life for the BDB Gemini, but it was too complex for the limited possibilities presented by the KSP parachute module. (for one thing, parachutes can only be suspended through/rotate about a single point).

Hey, no problem on that. I was only pointing it out for general information purposes. The ceramic material surprised me. I am sure the process of modeling it in KSP is quite complex. 

7 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I have no excuse other than wanting to see this part.

(snip)

I bet that thing can get from the Mun to Kerbin orbit. 

Would make one hell of a rescue mission. 

Heh, have a MOOSE waiting for the Kerbal around Kerbin.