[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 6/28/2024 at 7:23 PM, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

CSM-106 & LM-4

NO7S1PM.png

You may know that LM-4 Snoopy was unique for being mostly covered in black blankets and silver foil unlike the other LMs which notouriously has gold foil. This is what I've attempted to recreate here!

ACqmAvv.png

ulexmym.png

Edit: I JUST realised Snoopy didn’t have RCS deflectors for some reason. I wanna take some better pics so maybe I’ll fix that tomorrow haha

Very nice. Great TUFX profiles! By the way, what method do you use to take screen shots? Yours are very clear.

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Very nice. Great TUFX profiles! By the way, what method do you use to take screen shots? Yours are very clear.

I don't really have a set method, I just use cameratools for some shots, some I don't. Really though, I try to get the thing I'm looking at in frame, in a clear interesting view

On 7/19/2023 at 9:37 PM, Invaderchaos said:

As Cobalt is working on Viking Orbiter (and working his way towards Mariner 8/9) and Zorg is working on Atlas, I've decided to get back to finishing Mariner 6/7! It uses some of the same parts from my Mariner 3/4 part set (the bus, the engine, louvers, etc) along with new parts like its high-gain antenna, canopus tracker, low-gain antenna, and scan platform. Not sure when it's gonna get done but I've been making some decent progress on it.

Capture.png

Capture.PNG

Capture.png

Argh, all the old Discord hosted images are broken, and there isn't an explicit guide on the BDB wiki of how to build any of the Mariners, only a low res image!

On 6/30/2024 at 5:59 AM, Rodger said:

I’m not quite sure what you mean, can you maybe link some pictures of it occurring?

nvm

i have a suggestion add the upper stage boiler plate that was flown on the first 4 saturn 1 launches

SA-1_LO.jpg

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Going to be starting the stream soon, first time in a while. Come hang out, I'll be drinking Dr. Pepper Zero and breaking the Titan parts.

https://www.twitch.tv/cobaltwolfy

200_s.gif

Doh!   I literally checked the fourm 10 minutes before you posted this... and proceeded to do something else!

Swing and a miss on my part!

1 hour ago, harveylates said:

nvm

i have a suggestion add the upper stage boiler plate that was flown on the first 4 saturn 1 launches

SA-1_LO.jpg

Um, it is already in the mod?

As is Pegasus (the Saturn derived impact satellite)

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Doh!   I literally checked the fourm 10 minutes before you posted this... and proceeded to do something else!

Swing and a miss on my part!

Um, it is already in the mod?

As is Pegasus (the Saturn derived impact satellite)

i mean the boiler plates tof the s4 and s5 stages that flew on the first four launches of the saturn 1

Edited by harveylates

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, harveylates said:

i mean the boiler plates tof the s4 and s5 stages that flew on the first four launches of the saturn 1

Yep in the mod

Ehh, not actually the S-4 though!  So partially my bad

Edited by Pappystein

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, harveylates said:

may i see it

The Boilerplate S-V stage was just a Centaur Tank with no insulation or engines, or guidance.   IF you want to directly replicate it just put a centaur tank (engine mouunt as well) and use the fuel switcher to switch to water.

Same with S-IV.  

New parts are not needed when we have the correct parts already in the game (ok technically the Centaur tanks need a NON-Visual change to be S-V)   

Or, you just launch the Pegasus parts without the internals.   If you have to have that "as launched" slab-sided look.

Sorry,  But getting new parts that are of nearly no use is a lot of effort for minimal gain.   I am not a memeber of the team but having been here for many years I can tell you there are much more important things that could be done than one-off not-really usable parts.

Edited by Pappystein

4 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

The Boilerplate S-V stage was just a Centaur Tank with no insulation or engines, or guidance.   IF you want to directly replicate it just put a centaur tank (engine mouunt as well) and use the fuel switcher to switch to water.

Same with S-IV.  

New parts are not needed when we have the correct parts already in the game (ok technically the Centaur tanks need a NON-Visual change to be S-V)   

Or, you just launch the Pegasus parts without the internals.   If you have to have that "as launched" slab-sided look.

Sorry,  But getting new parts that are of nearly no use is a lot of effort for minimal gain.   I am not a memeber of the team but having been here for many years I can tell you there are much more important things that could be done than one-off not-really usable parts.

sorry

51 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I am a merciful god...

The C-8 would say otherwise.

(jk it's your mod you get to decide what to add to it)

12 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Argh, all the old Discord hosted images are broken, and there isn't an explicit guide on the BDB wiki of how to build any of the Mariners, only a low res image!

They're pretty straightforward.   Those images should be sufficient?

12 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Also you can still view old discord images by pasting the link into discord itself. Just make a group chat with yourself, send yourself the link to the broken image, and it’ll show up.

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Oh, @Rodger, are you aware of this error? 

PpusM19.png

The SRB still works, but I thought I'd still point it out. 

No, that's odd. That switch doesn't reference a module.

Speaking of the UA120, something else that's going to be in 1.14 is a slight update of the titan parts: merging similar engines and tanks into single parts with part switches to cut down on part count, as well as changing to a physical interstage part system like more recent BDB parts instead of the stockalike autoshroud system.

For example, all the UA120 solid boosters have already been merged (individual parts have been soft depreciated)

DsIMLXR.png

And the new interstage decoupler part, made up of the vented decoupler and a selection of the autoshrouds

OPORQCr.png

29 minutes ago, Rodger said:

For example, all the UA120 solid boosters have already been merged (individual parts have been soft depreciated)

DsIMLXR.png

But have you added true UA1206s tho? (with 6 segments, not 5.5)

6 hours ago, Pappystein said:

technically the Centaur tanks need a NON-Visual change to be S-V

Can you clarify that? Was there a difference between the proposed S-V and Cenatur-D? What you mean by NON visual?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Alpha512 said:

But have you added true UA1206s tho? (with 6 segments, not 5.5)

It would have to be modeled. Cobalt or Zorg would have to do it. I don't see it happening unless an actual Titan Update is done. 

Rodger is just cleaning up the part list really. Combining many parts into one part then giving that one-part part-switching capabilities to bring the parts in line with the current standard of practice. 

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

It would have to be modeled. Cobalt or Zorg would have to do it. I don't see it happening unless an actual Titan Update is done. 

Rodger is just cleaning up the part list really. Combing many parts into one part then giving that one-part part-switching capabilities to bring the parts in line with the current standard of practice. 

CobaltWolf's Stream yesterday was about Titan update :D *oh and Fixing IUS and X-15 dev* (really just kitbashing existing parts to the current BDB standards.)  Which is what Roger was talking about in the above post.
It is 100% up to @CobaltWolf if he feels it is important to make the Saturn proposed UA1206 with its full 6 segments.    I have always designated this as UA-1206F (F for the full segment, but that is 100% my designation and my headcanon.)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Can you clarify that? Was there a difference between the proposed S-V and Cenatur-D? What you mean by NON visual?

*I need to finish this Centaur article!*

Sure.   As I covered previously on my article on the Saturn C-2 and C-3 Rockets.   The S-V stage is ***NOT*** a Centaur... But it is still a Centaur.     Confusing?   :D   

First off You have to remember Centaur D is the Final production of Centaur (and even the latest Centaur III for Atlas V is just a Centaur D.3)  

Saturn was to fly with Centaur C (NO DO NOT READ WIKIPEDIA OR ASTRONAUTICS...  THEY GET IT WRONG!!!)   The Centaur Series were named Centaur A and B (Test articles not meant for flight)  Centaur C (Saturn S-V)  Centaur D (Atlas and latter upgraded for Titan)  and Centaur E (Saturn S-V but with fixes solved for production Centaur D.)   When the First Centaur D launched on that Atlas and promptly Exploded due to heating... NASA took over the Centaur program from Convair (GD.)    NASA then utilizing their standard nomenclature at the time.   Started with letter test codes.   A Short version of these codes are what Wikipedia et-al are quoting, and not the actual stage names!      The Test flights were  Centaur D Flight A, Centaur D Flight B, Centaur D Flight C and Centaur D Flight D (not all were flown but you can see now where the confusion comes from!)

Centaur C and E:  Von Braun absolutely disliked Bossart and his "over-engineered" concept of the Balloon tank.    Thus Von Braun stipulated (and NASA caved) that any stage to fly on Saturn would be a Monocoque stage.    S-V is what would happen if you tripled the thickness of the skin on the Centaur Tanks.   The S-V stage is thus both a Centaur and Not a Centaur.   The tankage looks the same.  But you can open the hatch on the nose and the whole thing will not collapse under it's own mass.   So it *LOOKS* like a Centaur, Uses the same engines, avionics and interfaces as a Centaur... But isn't a Centaur.

Oh, Because of the stronger skin, the Boiloff issue would be *reduced.* when compared to Centaur D.1.   With it's SOFI covering I think Centaur D.3/III would have better boiloff performance

So the "Centaur Stages"

Centaur C.1 (Saturn prior to the First Centaur flight)    *EDIT*  <-- Would fly with the LR119 AKA the RL10B-3 engine to make up for the extra tank mass

Centaur D.1 (OG Atlas Only Centaur... the one that blew up on it's first two flights)
Centaur D.1A (Flight proven Centaur that replaced D.1 Above)
Centaur D.1T (Modified for Titan variant of Centaur D.1A without external insulation)
Centaur D.1AR (New production Centaur based on Shuttle(1) Centaur Due to D.1A tooling having been partially scrapped.  While tankage and insulation are SIMILAR to the D.1A they are not the same.) Flew on Atlas G
Centaur D.1R  Shuttle (1) Centaur, never built but designed in the 1970s.  Basically CEntaur D.1A without Hydrogen peroxide and different insulation pannels

Centaur D.2 (Known in press as Centaur II)
Centaur D.3 (Known in Press as Centaur III)

Centaur E.1 Final Saturn Centaur S-V, still with the LR119 aka RL10B-3 engines but with all the "Fixes" that the Centaur D.1A had still monocoque structure not balloon.

Shuttle Centaur  G  (Shortie Fat Centaur for Space shuttle)
Shuttle Centaur G' (Longer Fat Centaur for Space Shuttle, actually built but not flown)
Titan Centaur T   Shuttle Centaur G' with adjustments to launch on Titan IV

Centaur V  (Not a Centaur!)   ACES upper stage without all the Gee Wiz-Bang features meant for ACES.

***EDITED*** there are several Centaur stages that are mentioned in various texts that I skipped because they did not actually impact production and often were not actually designated.

EG Growth Centaur and Centaur JR both from the 1960 Atlas F ICBM paper I showed a Build guide for 3 pages back.
Note the 1960 Atlas F paper predates the First Centaur Flight and as such those "Hypothetical" Centaur Stages never went anywhere.
Also yes ULA may call it Centaur V but really it has nothing in common with Centaur except some of the software/avionics from the D.3  and the Engines are a form of RL10   Then again... Atlas V could have the same thing said :D

As I posted this I realized something... the Centaur D series was dead in 1984 prior to Challenger.  The D.1AR is actually made using Centaur G/T tooling! so the D.1R may just be a ghost echo (IE it had nothing directly impact wise to do with the D.1AR, it was a grandfather to not a father of.)

Edited by Pappystein
Forgot Centaur E.1 S-V stage!