[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 7/27/2023 at 12:35 AM, Blufor878 said:

I might have tried going in the opposite direction (if you want to call it that).
NNzxMdP.png
pyscfgI.png
xW448PZ.png

Sadly regular Atlas didn't have enough power. Atlas V might be a different story.

The sequel to this monstrosity is here. Apollo on an Atlas V.
uJBuqte.png
7ukvnwM.png
bYy0osj.png

5 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Very nice and well done! I suck at flying manually so I use MechJeb. You seem to have done well with it. What kind of orbital parameters did you get? Stock Kerbin or 2.5/2.7x KSRSS or JNSQ?

May I make some suggestions for enhancements? Forgive me if you already know about these. 

1. Conformal Decals - This mod adds a lot of cool text and flag graphics that will let you dress up your Juno I to near-historical accuracy.

2. Modular Launch Pads - You can build some nice launch pads and towers with this. Very historically immersive.

3. Dock Rotate Mod. - In theory this lets you spin up the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stages while still on the launch pad, like they did IRL. I have never been able to get it to work correctly, so I just use a spin motor decoupler to get the 2nd stage to spin on release. Von Braun designed the upper stages to spin in order to keep them stable in case one or more of the solids burned off-nominal. Just make sure you disengage SAS before lighting the spin motor decoupler.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Will install conformal decals and explore Modular Launch pads a bit.

13 hours ago, Zorg said:

Thanks! Just wanted to note though that the previous one was modelled by PickledTripod and textured by Cobalt.

I had forgotten that.  

It is too bad about the old Kosmos mod re the RD170 family.   CardboardBoxProcessor had some unique "alt-history" RD-170 variants (3 bell RD-183 being the most unique among them.)   Fixed bells (no gimbal)  And ALL THE THRUST :D

21 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh god we never fully released Surveyor

BlpvjOn.jpg

Probably should've mentioned this earlier--I use CKAN. I can understand if pushing updates to there isn't 100% a top priority.

Edited by TheKSPBeginner
I've heard it's quite difficult

working on some stuff for BDB extras... here is the full lineup of the XLR81 engines with a more accurate reskin. the only ones altered are the Bell 8081 (Agena B), Bell 8096 (Agena D), and Bell 8096-39 (Agena D w/ High-Density Acid). What's different from normal BDB is that the nozzle interiors are white for these engines, and the agena-D/8096 nozzle is green, like it is irl.

screenshot19.png

screenshot13.pngscreenshot16.png

screenshot18.png

screenshot398.png

screenshot400.png

Also made alternate textures for the Juno tankage with accurate lettering and no lettering:

screenshot20.png

Edited by Invaderchaos

7 minutes ago, bigyihsuan said:

How do you attach the Block III+ and IV orbital modules to the adapter without it "floating" like this? The module is attached to the base on the docking port.

WKA2rfk.png

Offset Tool. Just move the module until the ring is just touching the module itself.

11 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

How do you attach the Block III+ and IV orbital modules to the adapter without it "floating" like this? The module is attached to the base on the docking port.

11 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Offset Tool. Just move the module until the ring is just touching the module itself.

Yeah they require some tweaking, there wasn't a way to make it work automatically with every configuration of docking port etc that players might use.

Edited by CobaltWolf

9 minutes ago, YourAgony said:

Hello @CobaltWolf,  am I doing something wrong or could it be that the ramp is too short? would it be possible for you to make a foldable ramp out of it?

Looks like you placed the ramp too high up on the side of the descent stage. The triangular struts that mount it to the stage shouldn't be sticking up like that. With that said, you could probably decouple the rover and it will be fine... I hope... quicksave first..

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Looks like you placed the ramp too high up on the side of the descent stage. The triangular struts that mount it to the stage shouldn't be sticking up like that. With that said, you could probably decouple the rover and it will be fine... I hope... quicksave first..

Thanks a lot  :) 

@CobaltWolf

Tried again - Ramp position lowered so the vehicle does not touch the top of the descent stage when the ramp is retracted... when the ramp is extended the ramp hits the ground at an angle of 58 degrees...  but 58 degrees is pretty steep... Don't you think so too? maybe a foldable ramp? ;)

1 hour ago, YourAgony said:

Tried again - Ramp position lowered so the vehicle does not touch the top of the descent stage when the ramp is retracted... when the ramp is extended the ramp hits the ground at an angle of 58 degrees...  but 58 degrees is pretty steep... Don't you think so too? maybe a foldable ramp? ;)

That's how it was on the real thing. Though it does seem like there's a way to shift the rover forward on it? You could try using the extender thingy from the LRV

u8UmC16.png

13 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah they require some tweaking, there wasn't a way to make it work automatically with every configuration of docking port etc that players might use.

There's quite a bit of space between the ring and (usually) the instrument unit underneath. Would a hidden node in the Block III+/IV part work for this?

16 hours ago, chaos113 said:

Where did the rl20 x3 design come from

The in game designation PL20-X3 is based on the RL-20 P3 design. It was Pratt & Whitney's early concept of a staged combustion cycle engine in the J2 thrust class. P&W were investigating the staged combustion cycle at a time when Rocketdyne was mostly interested in J2 nozzle improvements and aerospikes. Not much came of the RL20 design although it was seen in a handful of Saturn MLV documents as a future J2 replacement. Pratt & Whitney's staged combustion efforts evolved into the XLR-129 (which is also modelled in game) which went into component testing as it was developed for the ISINGLASS spyplane. Later the 129 was the basis for their SSME proposal and was the presumed leader throughout most of the competition until the thrust requirement went up and Rocketdyne won with their proposal. Thats a long story in and of itself.

Anyway for the RL20, both sea level and vacuum optimised versions were looked at.

J2_vs_RL20P-3.png

rl20p3_1.jpg?width=407&height=835

RL20_2Position.png?width=957&height=669

Edited by Zorg