[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 2/23/2024 at 10:37 AM, Spike88 said:

I went to play KSP the other day after a hiatus and had to update a couple mods.  After updating them I started getting these B9Parts errors on Gemini parts. I tried pruning some mods that I thought could be culprits to no avail and ended up creating a fresh install of KSP with even less mods and I'm still getting them.

SR3iP8z.png

Here is my Log: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/85iohocduoazx7n9bn7ov/KSP.log?rlkey=cparn7b99m5pm3o5jv5s0vz9r&dl=0

And my MM Log: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/k6wp963oci4v0rcho3p44/ModuleManager.log?rlkey=ryvniubez2cex7r84044zizl3&dl=0

I thought the KSP AVC was bugged and caused issues with many "code intensive" mods like B9PArtSwitch...  Yet I see a notice in the upper left corner that AVC is running on your game?    Maybe I am wrong  But that is what I remember...   Because I am using all the latests and have none of these issues... I would guess it is due to a mod that is not Benjee10 nor CobaltWolf nor the dependancies for Benjee or Cobalts mods.  

Welp sorry for not posting.  Between my Parents I have spent the month in the hospital more than I have at home with enough time to post article updates...! (everyone is fine!)

Previous chapter is here:

Spoiler

Chapter 7  Fixing Agena:   Agena D and the final standard Agena… or is it?

With six of ten Thor Agena A failures, two of four Atlas Agena A failures, 7 of 45 Thor Agena B failures, and 5 of 29 Atlas Agena B failures, failure was on the mind of the USAF, not success.   Twenty failures in the original Pied Piper orders…. Agena had problems.   Some were due to re-designing the stage to take the Bell engine vs the Aerojet one.   Some were due to GCU issues.  But most were due to poor quality control.   “Weld broke,” “Valve was stuck,” and “Wires were frayed” are all statements attached to many of the failures listed above.   Each preventable.   Lockheed had some issues in the plant and at the launch site with maintaining the quality of their work.  Or simply to prevent damage during shipping and follow-up quality control.  

Based on several documents, we know Bell was hard at work meeting new needs with their 8000 series of engines.   For an engine initially designed to be used to fly a nuclear warhead just one hundred and fifty miles, this rocket was putting in yeoman work in space.   However, it was not originally designed to run this long.  So, multiple changes happened, even before the first Agena Launch.   Most of Agena's failures at the engine involved welding of the fuel lines or stuck valves.   These were areas that Bell could assist in, and help they did.  

The Guidance And Control section received the most significant changes.   As part of a long-term improvement program to prepare for future CIA/NRO payloads, Lockheed and their computer contractors began improving the GCU.  First, thanks to the transistor, it was possible to shrink many items used in the GCU section.   Secondly, using the transistor to make an electronic clock significantly reduced the size of timing devices in the GCU and would allow multiple commands to be processed at once.   While complete guesswork, I believe that the forward rack was often used to hold extra mechanical clocks, which each governed different functions.   Digital clocks would eliminate the need for that because you could count pulses, and on pulse 32,874, you could run command X.   Remember, there was little or no global communication.   And a basic $25 digital calculator you can purchase anywhere today has more memory than the entire production run of Agena A, B, and D stages combined!

deliveryService?id=NASM-2005-35436&max_w

Agena B with simulated payload showing the aft rack is essentially identical to the Agena A. (Smithsonian Institute Dane Penland Photographer)

Agena’s computer systems in the mainstream D form… compared to today’s computer systems, is like using two tin cans and a string to talk to each other versus a 3G cellphone service (GSM or CDMA!)    That being said, at the time of production, most Agena D’s used their payload’s own IMU/IU/GCS/GCU to control the entire Agena D + the payload.    It was big, it was clunky, and it was obsolete even before it first flew.   Agena D still used multiplexer arrays to do math, and while JFET and FET transistors took over for many vacuum tubes, not all were eliminated.   Further, the Integrated Circuit was in production form by the time Agena D flew.   The Agena D’s GCU did have one central fact going for it.   It worked when the Agena A and Agena B GCUs before it didn’t always.   As can be insinuated by the previous statement,  All Agena D GCUs were identical to each other, meaning the Agena GCU was finally a standardized item.   Including a Guidance and Control override so that the payload could control the Agena stage was probably the most significant improvement in the Agena D GCU.  

Agena D is broadly similar to the Agena B before it, with one exception.  The Forward rack of Agena D is a little shorter and the aft rack was changed from a heavy cylinder to a lighter skeletal structure.  With these changes, yes, the Agena B is SLIGHTLY longer than Agena D.   Unless they were side by side, it would be impossible to tell without a measuring device.

Gemini_and_Agena_D.jpg

Agena D derived Gemini Agena Target Vehicle (NASA via Wikipedia.org)  Clearly visible is the skeletal aft rack with the add on SPS (Booster/ullage) motors.

Agena D would become the most prolific US upper stage to launch into orbit.   It will be a few more years before Centaur could replicate that number.  But for all that, it was an upper stage that was too small to be effective in the long term.  But it was in the right place at the right time to take over the bulk of military and civilian launches.  Agena D would be the second US upper stage to get us to the Moon with the Lunar Orbiter payloads.   Agena B was used to get the Ranger probes to the Moon.

On 2/25/2024 at 7:05 PM, Pappystein said:

I thought the KSP AVC was bugged and caused issues with many "code intensive" mods like B9PArtSwitch...  Yet I see a notice in the upper left corner that AVC is running on your game?    Maybe I am wrong  But that is what I remember...   Because I am using all the latests and have none of these issues... I would guess it is due to a mod that is not Benjee10 nor CobaltWolf nor the dependancies for Benjee or Cobalts mods.  

It is KSP-AVC maintained by LinuxGamerGuru, not sure if that has problems too. Either way I removed it and I'm still getting the issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 hours ago, United Kerbol Alliance said:

So, where is the RO config for the newest BDB and KSP version?

You need to ask the modders currently maintaining RO configs, since BDB doesn't provide RO configs

Edited by AdrianDogmeat

7 hours ago, RitherKerbol said:

i know someone has asked this before (prob) but is there a config for stock scale?

Use SMURFF, or just play in a 2.5x scale, there's not much of a reason not to.

6 hours ago, United Kerbol Alliance said:

So, when is their last time provide RO config?and what wasthe version of KSP?

As @AdrianDogmeatsaid: This is the wrong place to ask because BDB does NOT support RSS/RO natively. It is supported by the RSS/RO guys in their own thread.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:21 PM, kspbutitscursed said:

actually @Emperor of Ilve has made some very nice RO configs for BDB i use them i my RO install and they work admirably 

Link here

Thanks for reminding me I need to update my git page for those

I've been pushing PRs to the RO page for a while and almost forgot about that page

On 2/13/2022 at 10:50 AM, Beccab said:

The Integrated Program Plan (1969)
Manned martian landing, part two
XGZYEfW.png

This second part of the mission shows on the real focus of the Integrated Program Plan manned mars mission, which is arrival, landing and return. Most of the text here is paraphrased from the original presentation of the IPP to Nixon's space task group which can be found here:
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/19690804_manned_mars_landing_presentation_to_the_space_task_group_by_dr._wernher_von_braun.pdf

The mission starts right from where the last post ended, with the acceleration of the twin spacecrafts  by the two side nuclear shuttles to trans-Mars injection velocity. These are then shut down, separated from the planetary vehicle and then retro-fired to place them on a highly elliptic path returning to the original assembly orbit altitude. After a coast of several days, the nuclear shuttles arrive at the original assembly orbit altitude and are retro-fired again to place them into a circular orbit where they rendevouz with their refuelling depot for reuse in geosynchronous or lunar missions.

Zns6fOL.png

Hide contents

1080_1022_03.jpg?w=1024

The ability of man to withstand a zero gravity environment for periods of time exceeding a few weeks was still an unknown at the time. Because of this, the option to provide artificial gravity for the crew during the planetary trip was kept open, and in case early missions indicated the need for artificial gravity the two spaceships could be docked end-to-end and rotated in the plane of the longitudinal axis during extended coast periods.

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_06.jpg?w=1024

During the outbound coast to Mars of approximately nine months, the crew conducts experimental activities such as solar and planetary observations: solar wind measurements, and biological monitoring of the crew, test plants, and animals. At the end of this period, final space vehicle checkout for the Mars orbit insertion maneuver is followed by the retro-fire of the nuclear engine to place the planetary vehicle into an elliptical Mars orbit. The orbit at Mars is elliptical both to reduce fuel requirements for the mission and allow a wider range of planet coverage by optical observations at the cost of requiring a beefier ascent stage on the lander
ETuqahz.png

Reveal hidden contents

MMU inspired from this:
0477_031021_02.jpg

The various Viking landers of IPP provided important clues concerning the existence of life on Mars, but did not fully answer the questions as to the possible pathogenic nature of such life. Hence, on the first manned mission, it was be desirable to obtain surface samples prior to the actual human landing and subsequent contamination of the planet, using 12 sterile sample return probes carried on the transfer spacecrafts.
ROrKk1U.png

9A7uZHF.png

Reveal hidden contents

1979rover2.jpg

Sample gathering and launch:

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_08.jpg?w=1024

Once the analysis has revealed no significant biological hazards, the Mars Excursion Module can then proceed to the surface and the samples could be returned to Earth for more detailed analysis, along with the more selective (but perhaps Earth-contaminated) samples obtained by the crew. It's time for three brave people then board the MEM, undock from the main spacecraft and prepare for reentry
m7S000f.png

Houston, Acidalia base here. The MEM has landed!
0U8HAW8.png

Hide contents

DuNGMu9VsAEAMz7?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Mars surface activity on the first mission is similar in many ways to the one of Apollo 11. Notable, however, is the much longer stay time (30-60 days per MEM), thus allowing more extensive observations, experimentation and execution of mission scientific objectives. Surface operations include experiments to be performed in the MEM laboratory as well as the external operations on Mars' surface.
fBJrR2P.png

A small, life-support augumentation rover also allows trips to interesting surface features beyond the immediate landing area.

Hide contents

1091_1022_02.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35520.0;

After 30 days have passed, the crew returns with 90 pounds of samples inside the ascent stage of the MEM and prepares for liftoff. In case the ascent engine doesn't relight and the crew is stranded the second MEM is launched with only one person on a rescue mission; but luckily, that isn't the case here either

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_10.jpg?w=1024

Docking:

At the completion of the 80-day period at Mars, the ascent stage and remaining MEM are discarded and transfer spaceships will begin the return leg of the journey. The nuclear stage is ignited for this propulsive maneuver, boosting each spaceship out of Mars orbit. With the extensive Mars exploration activities behind them, the crew at this point can begin a more thorough analysis of the data and samples gathered at Mars, and prepare for the next major milestone of the trip - a close encounter with the planet Venus.

cIlodow.png

As the twin spacecrafts gain speed and near the closest approach of the Venus flyby, four entry probes are deployed to study the atmosphere of the planet in what is effectively the last phase of the mission before returning to Earth while the crews conduct radar mapping of the surface
B5hfKEF.png

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_15.jpg?w=1024

Two years have passed since the people on board last saw the Earth, and the time has come for the mission to end: the nuclear stages activate for one last time, bringing the crew into LEO to dock to the space base that is waiting for their arrival.
TM9aXj4.png

The year is now 1983: there are orbiters around mars and venus, massive space stations in lunar orbit and GEO, rovers on Mars and more than 50 people have landed on the Moon. And now, the first people in history have returned after setting foot on Mars, with many more to follow.

This is what the Integrated Program Plan was

Oh, and I almost forgot -  here you go
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uH4D8O1CBUDfKZugCmUAIEy0pl9ta3xS?usp=sharing
There's a lot of required mods - Tantares, BDB, OPT, ConformalDecals, Cormorant, Restock, the SSME variants plugin and X-33/Venturestar are the first that come to my mind, but there may be more

I'll try to get it on kerbalx too if necessary

foaming at the mouth over this 

9 hours ago, tmccreight651 said:

Mariner 9! Awesome! Are you planning on doing any of the newer Mars missions like Mars Reconnaisance Orbiter, MAVEN and Phoenix/InSight?

If we ever did, they would likely not be for KSP1. But we'll see.

Hallo yall!

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

If we ever did, they would likely not be for KSP1. But we'll see.

pls do for ksp 1. I'm waiting till ksp 2 is finished to buy it. Also could you please expand to curseforge?

7 minutes ago, KerbolRacer21 said:

Hallo yall!

pls do for ksp 1. I'm waiting till ksp 2 is finished to buy it. Also could you please expand to curseforge?

Why? CKAN >>>>>> CurseForge for KSP mods.

2 hours ago, Razgriz1 said:

Why? CKAN >>>>>> CurseForge for KSP mods.

Direct Download and install from Github<=>Spacedock.info>>>>>>>  CKAN   >>>>>>>  Curseforge>>>>>>>>>>OG website I have long since forgotten

Edited by Pappystein