[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

The BDSEP-JMK "Kadley" Observation Telescope has the description of the  BDSEP-SWC Solar Wind Composition Experiment.

Is this due to an error, an accident, a simple placeholder that's still holding it's place? Or could this have happen after that time Jeb got locked in the records office? He did go through a lot of sharpies. Did he screw with a paper somewhere?

13 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Nice work as always. I have never seen a good representation of what the OV’s looked like. The whole program was an interesting early way of orbiting what were essentially microsats. Looking forward to flying them. 

6 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

Wow, I am surprised I've NEVER seen these satellites till now. They look like toys instead of real spacecraft. The models are looking great so far.

There's a ton of pics on the San Diego Air and Space Museum's Atlas negatives flickr archive.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=OV1+atlas

https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=date-taken-desc&safe_search=1&tags=ov1&user_id=49487266%40N07&view_all=1

Atlas  Details: Manufacturing OV-1 15 Gallon Tank; Plant 19  Date: 09/15/1965

Atlas Negative Collection Image Atlas  Details: Drawing of Advanced Autopilot Servo.  Date: 03/30/1966 Atlas Negative Collection Image

Atlas  Details: OV-1 (10) Airbrushed; Showing Just Pod  Date: 01/23/1968 Convair/General Dynamics Plant and Personnel Atlas  Details: Satat OV-1 Prepared; in Coffin; Wire Inspection  Date: 02/18/1965

Edited by Zorg

Delta Double Barrel delivering Orbital Surveyor to the Mun polar orbit. Also, there's apparently two DB-Deltas. One with a "Stretched" upper storable stage (They say stretched, but it's also widened. It basically looks like a Delta K to me, just bigger, so I used Vega in place of a "Stretched" Delta K.) and a cryo version. Basically tanking the Delta III DCSS and putting it on top. I went with the storable version. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

txSo64l.png

SwPM6ue.png

iZ4XouJ.png

78A6vAe.png

SUtTPF0.png

XV2SGtJ.png

23 hours ago, GoldForest said:

She flew fine. I think the titan tanks are supposed to be smaller than the titan I tanks, that's why she lasted until after SRB sep, if you are right.

As I understand it, the tankage is 2x TItan III Upper stage tanks (broke in half)  total of 2 oxidizer tanks and 2 "fuel" tanks all feeding a central LR87.   And I do not see mention of it being jettisoned (but agree it makes sense.)   Since we really do not know how the Vandenberg special boosters would have looked due to Challenger.....   Maybe they had a clearance path for jettesoning... Or maybe just the engine itself, the heaviest part after fuel depletion is jettesoned.   "Heavier" payloads out of Vandenburg, where the shuttle has to make a Dog-leg turn to clear populated areas en-route to a sun-synchronous orbit.

Also I am going to try to build Titan Shuttle.    LDC with 5 LR87s, Quad UA-1207s with a 4.25m KSP scale tank for the Shuttle :D    MAYBE :D

I have a couple builds I want to try today before I have to do my daily chores.

2 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

@PappysteinWhat exactly is your Titan hypergolic patch?

TL:DR version:    Makes Hypergolic rockets have a Hypergolic fuel solution... even if it isn't the EXACT hypergolic solution as IRL.  This was done to make any Hypergolic engine work with Any Hypergolic tank.

LONG VERSION

So I have, with extensive help with a former BDB team member, built a set of patches that give any Hypergolic engine (eg the AJ10 on almost every flight it was on) has an actual Hypergolic Fuel type.  specficially Aerozine-50 (also known as 50/50 to most non aerojet Rocket scientists) and NTO (or Nitrogen Tetra Oxide.)      Note this may not be the EXACT fuel for every Hypergolic engine/tank setup... but having ONE hypergolic fuel is a lot better for the average player than unique fuel mixtures for each and every part (no interoperablity results.)    If you want "Historically perfectly accurate" you need to play RP-1/RO and ignore my patch :D 

So,   If the engine, IRL used a Hypergolic fuel.   With my patch it now has... a Hypergolic fuel.    This give s the rocket stage a better density ratio.  Making some rockets perform better.  Others, where the performance was on the edge to begin with may end up with too much fuel   Titan Stages being the prime example.  Titan Rocket stages carried about 17% less fuel per "dimensional volume" than just about any other rocket.   In BDB those tanks had to be made "fuller" to match the real world performance of Titan with LFO engines.   You only need 80% fuel load to match the performance with Hypergolic fuels due to the    Fun trick, if you bump the lower half of a Titan Stick to 90% fuel, you get almost exactly the correct fuel load as  Real Titan (KSP didn't allow us to make it more accurate than this due to game limitations.)

PS AZ-50/NTO was chosen for 2 reasons. 
1) the patch was initially developed with the major Titan Update that brought us the current parts that are being "refreshed" as I type this.
2) AZ-50/NTO have the exact same burn ratio as LF/O in KSP.   However LF/O in KSP is NOT AZ-50/NTO   Because of the huge difference in density per unit.

So I decided to build THIS today:
1MovKyc.jpg

Per the now defunct Space Launch Reports by Ed Kyle, This is the Titan III SRM-1 which consists of a Centaur T, Titan III (I used the IV tank since I was actually using the AJ-11A engine from the extras patch) and a UA-1205SRM (I used the UA-1206F Full 6 segment SRM (Thanks CobaltWolf and Rodger for getting this in game quickly after it was brought up!) 
Since I can't ping today I hope they, and GoldForest see the post! :D
u4potWU.jpg

Unfortunately even with the larger engines, 500 ore resulted in a FAilure to Orbit.    But it was a fun flight!

11 hours ago, shakuvendell said:

The BDSEP-JMK "Kadley" Observation Telescope has the description of the  BDSEP-SWC Solar Wind Composition Experiment.

Is this due to an error, an accident, a simple placeholder that's still holding it's place? Or could this have happen after that time Jeb got locked in the records office? He did go through a lot of sharpies. Did he screw with a paper somewhere?

Definitely a placeholder, I've updated it now on dev for next release.

Today's new dev updates include switchable integrated interstage mount rings for the 1.875m upper stage, to allow for other engines to be used and still have the ring that matches the interstage available, as well as single vernier LR91s in compact mode with the structural vernier mount. (also pictured: a new colour swatch for the hypergolic fuel option)

PYiuNwj.png

And on the subject of LR91s, they have been updated to not have two separate engine modules for the main engine and verniers, and just have one module with high thrust from the main bell and low thrust coming from the vernier/s. The AJ9 and Hypergolic patches have been updated too. The Vanguard and Vega GH405s have also been simplified in the same way.

The tanks also now have tech unlocks with custom multi-model icons, since you don't need to buy each part individually now:

TLalPim.png

And a new version of the UA120 nosecone without a built in sep motor.  Allows for custom sep motor placement while keeping the raceways aligned. Unfortunately this is a new part, not a variant, due to there being an engine in the default part.

iEMAU7B.png

This is basically everything that was planned for the mini Titan update done. Some other parts may still get some part merges too, like the LDC interstage for eg

3 hours ago, Pappystein said:

As I understand it, the tankage is 2x TItan III Upper stage tanks (broke in half)  total of 2 oxidizer tanks and 2 "fuel" tanks all feeding a central LR87.   And I do not see mention of it being jettisoned (but agree it makes sense.)   Since we really do not know how the Vandenberg special boosters would have looked due to Challenger.....   Maybe they had a clearance path for jettesoning... Or maybe just the engine itself, the heaviest part after fuel depletion is jettesoned.   "Heavier" payloads out of Vandenburg, where the shuttle has to make a Dog-leg turn to clear populated areas en-route to a sun-synchronous orbit.

Also I am going to try to build Titan Shuttle.    LDC with 5 LR87s, Quad UA-1207s with a 4.25m KSP scale tank for the Shuttle :D    MAYBE :D

I have a couple builds I want to try today before I have to do my daily chores.

Which upper tank? There's two different ones. :D

39 minutes ago, slyfox023 said:

make "For All Mankind" parts at all?  

There are CADS docking port and saturn 1c, saturn multibody already + AARDVARK and spacelab/apollo stuff

Edited by ra4nd0m

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Which upper tank? There's two different ones. :D

Paperwork says "Titan Upper stage"  Given time-frame I ****ASSUME**** Titan III.   Why?

Titan IV was not even CONSIDERED at the time in question.   MM was looking at Titan 34D7 however (which eventually evolved into Titan IV but it isn't the same thing!)   And Titan I tanks are not hypergolic so... don't count :D

4 hours ago, Rodger said:

Definitely a placeholder, I've updated it now on dev for next release.

Today's new dev updates include switchable integrated interstage mount rings for the 1.875m upper stage, to allow for other engines to be used and still have the ring that matches the interstage available, as well as single vernier LR91s in compact mode with the structural vernier mount. (also pictured: a new colour swatch for the hypergolic fuel option)

And a new version of the UA120 nosecone without a built in sep motor.  Allows for custom sep motor placement while keeping the raceways aligned. Unfortunately this is a new part, not a variant, due to there being an engine in the default part.

iEMAU7B.png

This is basically everything that was planned for the mini Titan update done. Some other parts may still get some part merges too, like the LDC interstage for eg

I think you forgot to mention a key Fix that few people were even aware of.  

Man-rated UA-120x SRMs have their Abort mode re-activated I believe?   At least per the Git Notes.  

Now, you too can safely launch your Kerbalnoughts with a Dorian Station safely and not worry about a SRM failure leading to the aircraft destruction.   Activate the Handy Dandy ABORT function and the SRM turns into a giant speed break in 3,2,1 BAM!

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Not anymore

I meant which Titant III upper tank, regular or stretched (M) lol

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Paperwork says "Titan Upper stage"  Given time-frame I ****ASSUME**** Titan III.   Why?

Titan IV was not even CONSIDERED at the time in question.   MM was looking at Titan 34D7 however (which eventually evolved into Titan IV but it isn't the same thing!)   And Titan I tanks are not hypergolic so... don't count :D

Man-rated UA-120x SRMs have their Abort mode re-activated I believe?   At least per the Git Notes.  

Now, you too can safely launch your Kerbalnoughts with a Dorian Station safely and not worry about a SRM failure leading to the aircraft destruction.   Activate the Handy Dandy ABORT function and the SRM turns into a giant speed break in 3,2,1 BAM!

Which Titan III? Lol, regular or stretched? (Aka Titan 3M)

27 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I meant which Titant III upper tank, regular or stretched (M) lol

Which Titan III? Lol, regular or stretched? (Aka Titan 3M)

2nd stage is the SAME :D   they used 2nd stage tanks

And yes, I said upper stage.   I can easily see "Upper tank" being taken from that.

Edited by Pappystein

3 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

2nd stage is the SAME :D

2 hours ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

Titan 34D-2 | September 4th, 1982

I- Launch

Hide contents

YgwmzXZ.png

Reveal hidden contents

dsQzozA.png

Hmdv1pH.png

1XzcaTl.png

Cool Launch!

I see the USAF was being "Cagey" again with designations.   "All Titan IIIDs have no Transtage.    Titan 34D is not a Titan IIID it CAN have transtage...

I really wish people who set up a nomenclature would... FOLLOW IT!   (sorry just watched a LTT Youtube on JUST this thing!)

3 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

There are CADS docking port and saturn 1c, saturn multibody already + AARDVARK and spacelab/apollo stuff

Well I meant like  the landers and such, like the LSAM latest?cb=20221124043557

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

2nd stage is the SAME :D   they used 2nd stage tanks

And yes, I said upper stage.   I can easily see "Upper tank" being taken from that.

Opss, my bad. Lol. Guess I'm blind.

4 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Ah yeah, they did technically “work” before but the reverse thrust was split up between three thrust directions, two at the top pointing outward, and another at the bottom. Combined with the fact the main engine would keep firing when abort mode activates meant there was nowhere near enough reverse thrust to cancel out the main thrust. So now the abort mode thrust is straight up, for a net-0 total thrust. The abort plumes are still positioned in the same place so they come out at angles that match the panels on the nose cone too.

2 minutes ago, hugoraider said:

I'd love to see the LSAM too, but AFAIK it's not planned.

The problem with LSAM is that it realistically can't hold enough fuel to be used as a reusable taxi. Four engines run through the fuel fast. For All Mankind just used movie magic to make it have infinite fuel of course.

18 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

The problem with LSAM is that it realistically can't hold enough fuel to be used as a reusable taxi. Four engines run through the fuel fast. For All Mankind just used movie magic to make it have infinite fuel of course.

Yeah, the way it hovers on the lunar surface with its engines permanently on is unrealistic, but we still could use it to perform suborbital jumps. Also, I kitbashed one based on BDB's LEM, and it can reach orbit easily, though it can't go back to the surface without refuelling.

2 minutes ago, hugoraider said:

Yeah, the way it hovers on the lunar surface with its engines permanently on is unrealistic, but we still could use it to perform suborbital jumps. Also, I kitbashed one based on BDB's LEM, and it can reach orbit easily, though it can't go back to the surface without refuelling.

Yeah, I made one too and had the same problem. It's a one way trip lol. 

There's only really one solution. It can't be fuel, that adds weight, and to have enough fuel to get to orbit and back, even at least once, would be a lot and weigh the craft down. The lunar landing/accent engines might be able to take the fuel, but it's not worth it. The only way I see making LSAM even feasible is to give the decent/accent engines 1000s in ISP. That way they just sip fuel.