What's your preferred method of playing KSP?

ZooNamedGames

What do you use to play KSP?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What device do you use?

Everyone plays KSP differently, and some of us play it with different controls or devices completely! So tell me, what do you use to play KSP with? Some use a normal keyboard, others use gamepads, like an Xbox Controller or even something else. In the picture below is an example of what most would use, so tell me, what do you use to play KSP? Why is that? Tell us all below!

rpXkw6B.jpg

Option A: Keyboard

Option B: Super Nintendo Entertainment System styled PC remote (This is a thing)

Option C: Xbox Controller

Option D: (Other) Gamepad

Option E: Joystick

Option F (not shown): Anything else! Please tell!

5 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

I have always used keyboard and will keep using it the future. ( Never knew they made PC SNES controllers )

I didn't know either until I googled them, and the second I saw it, I had to have it! Ironically, you CAN play KSP really well with it, even though it only has a D-Pad and 8 buttons (including start/select).

Well, one of my favorite games is DCS A-10C, so I use this thing:

technology_174a_001t.jpg

It does not have a twist axis, so I use flight rudder pedals. Normally rudder pedals are for yaw, but in KSP because of how the navball works, it's actually better for me to do Munar-type (airless body) landings with the rudder pedals bound to the roll axis instead. The whole setup is honestly complete overkill for KSP, but I already have it for DCS so I might as well use it.

rudder-pedals-01.jpg

4 minutes ago, Xavven said:

technology_174a_001t.jpg

It does not have a twist axis, so I use flight rudder pedals. Normally rudder pedals are for yaw, but in KSP because of how the navball works, it's actually better for me to do Munar-type (airless body) landings with the rudder pedals bound to the roll axis instead. The whole setup is honestly complete overkill for KSP, but I already have it for DCS so I might as well use it.

rudder-pedals-01.jpg

Impressive choice. A lot nicer than my LogicTech Extreme 3D Pro.

99% keyboard, 1% Xbox controller (bought because of KSP, since I got mad at jerky controls in atmosphere, specifically for planes). Didn't buy joystick, because don't play flight sims as much these days (looks especially stupid to buy it after selling my good old Saitek X52 :) ). Controller is really convenient for planes and also for docking, especially after after one of last patches broke key bindings for docking mode (which made WASD to act as in regular flight mode), tried fixing it few times, but problem persisted, so just having controller for docking is much more convenient than using IJKL or fighting docking key bindings. 

On 17/04/2016 at 10:37 AM, Xavven said:

technology_174a_001t.jpg

rudder-pedals-01.jpg

Still saving up for that joystick and throttle... But, for now I am stuck with a keyboard.

EDIT:

(Just realized this is my 100th post!!!)

Edited by BT Industries
(Just realized this is my 100th post!!!)

Keyboard and touchpad *gasp* most of the time. I break out the HOTAS now and then if I want to fly, but it gets frustrating when the bindings get lost. Lately I had to hook up a mouse for C:S, so I'm getting used to that again. I also have an old trackball that I use to love using, until my then-2-yo kept throwing the ball out the window into the gutter, so it got put away and stayed there. I may try out one of the XB1 or Wii-U controllers kicking around here.

Truth be told, I haven't seriously played (aside from making screenshots) for awhile now, since I was burning out and decided to wait for 1.1 to drop. But this is still the only forum I frequent.

On 17.4.2016 at 2:37 AM, Xavven said:

Normally rudder pedals are for yaw, but in KSP because of how the navball works, it's actually better for me to do Munar-type (airless body) landings with the rudder pedals bound to the roll axis instead.

You could add another part to control from, a docking port or a pod, pointing horizontally, and control from there when you land. Most of my landers work like that, a top docking port to control from for orbital maneuvers, and the horizontal pod for landing and VTOL flying. I got that little trick from @Cupcake...

I use a dual joystick setup to play KSP, partly because I'm a lefty and I could not find a stick with a throttle lever that is easy to use for me, and partly because it is very nice to have an additional stick just for translation.

On 17. April 2016 at 2:37 AM, Xavven said:

rudder-pedals-01.jpg

I am using the X-55 Rhino, but i am planning to buy the Thrustmaster Warthog as well. I am currently checking, what pedals i will buy. Can you recommend the ones you use?

So far i am tending to buy the Saitek Combat Rudders, as they are partially made out of metal.

Keyboard, mouse, a gallon of unsweetened iced tea at the ready, and a comfy chair. Oh, and about six hours of uninterrupted playing time. :D

You did ask about my preferred method of playing KSP...

Edited by adsii1970

Forgot to say something on topic in my above post, so here we go:

I build craft with mouse and keyboard. I also launch rockets and drive rovers with mouse and keyboard. Whenever the launching craft is somwhat close to a plane, spacplane or glider, i switch to joystick. Also maneuvering during docking procedures is more intuitive to me, when using a joystick.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Keyboard, mouse, 3d mouse. One of these days I'll get a joystick for planes.

I own a SpacPilot Pro for 3D modelling, but i dont like playing Games with it... Tried with KSP and Elite... Its very precise and easy to use, but it just isnt giving the right feeling.

K&M - Mostly because so many other needed functions are one keyboard buttons anyway(maybe some joysticks have enough open buttons to fix that), but knowing that a lot of functions are only on right-click-the-part menus(and me forgetting to action group those) this makes me stick to having a hand on the mouse.

I wish there was soft control button(like capslock puts you in precise controls mode with blue pitch,yaw,roll indicators), but I need one that limits output at 25%...so the indicator won't go past 25% of it's total range. This is because, it is hard to counter space plane oscillations with jerky motions. But all that precise mode does is it lessens the initial jerky motion, the fins still pitch 100% after 2seconds...then you find the perfect frequency to press-depress-press-depress that button for a "smooth" turn

Sometimes I just want controls that are at maximum still under-powered...for when we are going supersonic:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.