My wife and I have been playing Ark: Survival Evolved. Coming there from Valheim has been rough; building is VERY constrained and you can't jump up on a rock more than about a foot tall. But it's a nice change and we pretty much did everything possible in Valheim.

I tried Juno: New Origins but it's just not as fun as I want a space game to be. I can't exactly place WHY, but it just feels like KSP sanitized.

I bought Darkest Dungeon 2 on the Steam Sale, but haven't played it yet. Why? Because I'm playing Darkest Dungeon 1 and want to finish the playthrough before I start. For no reason whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 1:11 PM, Superfluous J said:

I tried Juno: New Origins but it's just not as fun as I want a space game to be. I can't exactly place WHY, but it just feels like KSP sanitized.

Agreed, it seems like it *should* be great?  Just feels sterile, and the missions (at least the early ones) are tediously boring; like drive up a generic slope for an hour or two.

I apologize for double posting, but I've been working on this for around a month now: behold, Dunsfield, NJ! Disclaimer: not a real city.

azTMmjT.jpg

Named after Lord Sir Dun of England, it was settled in 1713 as an attempt to set up a port in the New Jersey colony. It kinda failed to do so though… as did most of New Jersey. However, the city did continue to grow anyways. Located in Atlantic County, its easy access to goods from Philadelphia made sure the city didn't completely fail. During the American Revolution, the city served as an important lifeline during the several battles for New York City. In the 1800s, the city continued to grow and eventually a port was set up. During the civil war, Dunsfield was an important powerhouse for the north. After World War 2, the city began to gain traction. Rapid growth ensued, and Dunsfield quickly became the biggest city in the entire state of New Jersey. In the 80's, the first skyscrapers were built in the city. To this day, the city continues to be a powerhouse of the United States, and a very poular tourist destination. It even has a space center!

wsUBzH8.jpg

Main part of center city

60WevFo.jpg

Lord Dun square

vKBPdyZ.jpg

Dunsfield International Airport

qLyWyXb.jpg

Dunsfield Space Center, a.k.a. Boca Chirpa.

YMctzHb.jpg

Full skyline

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Typos

2 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

That taxiway is killing me haha :confused:

I've owned Airports for all of five minutes. The difficulty in plotting out the taxiways and airstrips made me file a refund.

It was, however, nowhere as bad as this.

I'm actually quite pumped for Cities Skylines 2.  

@Superfluous J - I had a ton of fun with Darkest.  It was so unlike anything else, it was great.  Did not pull the trigger on 2 during the sale, and wish I had.

However, I did pick up Anno 1800... and that game is DENSE.  So many things to keep track of.  Might be a bit too fiddly, in some ways - but intriguing, nonetheless.

I got mad at Cities b/c it would not let me treat my separate small towns (Industries DLC) as separate towns.  I started a small farming/forestry village and another mining and oil village a ways away, thinking I could ship the primary goods via rail to a massive industrial park next to my 'city' and have everything work nicely.  Nope.  I was exporting and importing the stuff I needed... unless my trucks decided to drive there the long way.  The minute anything hit the cargo terminal near the villages, it was an export.  The factories pulling from the cargo terminal near them got imports.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm actually quite pumped for Cities Skylines 2.

I got mad at Cities b/c it would not let me treat my separate small towns (Industries DLC) as separate towns.  I started a small farming/forestry village and another mining and oil village a ways away, thinking I could ship the primary goods via rail to a massive industrial park next to my 'city' and have everything work nicely.  Nope.  I was exporting and importing the stuff I needed... unless my trucks decided to drive there the long way.  The minute anything hit the cargo terminal near the villages, it was an export.  The factories pulling from the cargo terminal near them got imports.

Me too! I’ll need a good computer though, and wait to see if the game is worth playing. I saw what happened with the sequel of my other favorite game.

But yeah, I agree, it is kind of annoying that you can’t have other areas be their own municipalities. If you want a fast way to get to your main city though, you might want to build a faster road into it,  and maybe even make it a priority road.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus

20 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

you might want to build a faster road into it,  and maybe even make it a priority road

I thought about creating a highway with no exits... but that kind of defeated the look I wanted; rail and industry working together seamlessly.

The 'game' aspect really messed with my aesthetic!

9 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I got mad at Cities b/c it would not let me treat my separate small towns (Industries DLC) as separate towns.  I started a small farming/forestry village and another mining and oil village a ways away, thinking I could ship the primary goods via rail to a massive industrial park next to my 'city' and have everything work nicely. 

Oh, bummer. I never got that far.

After some complaints about the airport, I literally rebuilt it from the ground up for 3 straight hours yesterday. Here's the result:

RiRsD8o.jpg

It's now much more realistic. The whole airport is kind of inspired by LAX, with the double runway and such, but I definitely added some of my own creative touches.

8 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

After some complaints about the airport, I literally rebuilt it from the ground up for 3 straight hours yesterday. Here's the result:

RiRsD8o.jpg

It's now much more realistic. The whole airport is kind of inspired by LAX, with the double runway and such, but I definitely added some of my own creative touches.

I've used airport taxiways...  the other one was more realistic.  LOL

9 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Can you guys go two seconds without being jerks about it?

I will only point out that 1) I liked your original design better and did not criticize it, and  2) accoding to the timestamp, at least 5 minutes has elapsed on this response.

The joke was intended to be, the silliness of your original design was fun.  ...and if you have ever been on a real taxiway (which often times, makes you wonder "who the hell designed this?" then your silly design (ironically) is probably a better reflection of reality in the sense that that is what "real" taxiways often make you think. 

Edited by XLjedi

1 hour ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Can you guys go two seconds without being jerks about it?

1 hour ago, XLjedi said:

.  ...and if you have ever been on a real taxiway (which often times, makes you wonder "who the hell designed this?" then your silly design (ironically) is probably a better reflection of reality in the sense that that is what "real" taxiways often make you think. 

Um, yeah, @Kerbalsaurusyou overreacted on that one.

(plus, I too liked the silly taxiway) 

2 hours ago, XLjedi said:

I will only point out that 1) I liked your original design better and did not criticize it, and  2) accoding to the timestamp, at least 5 minutes has elapsed on this response.

The joke was intended to be, the silliness of your original design was fun.  ...and if you have ever been on a real taxiway (which often times, makes you wonder "who the hell designed this?" then your silly design (ironically) is probably a better reflection of reality in the sense that that is what "real" taxiways often make you think. 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Um, yeah, @Kerbalsaurusyou overreacted on that one.

(plus, I too liked the silly taxiway) 

Sorry, I've been facing other issues recently. I shouldn't have taken it out on you guys. I'd like the the mods to remove all the stuff said except the first comment said by @XLjedi.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus