What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

As you all know I fly 737s in MSFS2020 and carry a pilots license for RC aircraft. To say Im an av is being mild. I watch a lot of aviation videos on youtube. LA Flights, Mentor Pilot and 74Gear to name but a few. I just watched a video by Kelsey (74Gear) that had me in tears from laughing so so hard. In the video below (feel free to watch the whole video) at about 11m30s is where I point. Its BEYOND adorable. No clue if its technically legal (youll see what i mean) but oh my is it adorable. He  (kelsey) “rips” the pilot in good fun, but then gives them and the pilots compliments. Enjoy!

new page!

Edited by AlamoVampire

I visited the Tokyo Skytree yesterday. After accidentally eating some kind of seed I am allergic to in a sandwich, I wound up taking a dump at 350 meters altitude!

I wrote a poem about it, but I don’t how often I can say poop on the forum so I won’t post it.

I decided to come back to the forums after a year. It’s just like I remember.

Edited by Wizard Kerbal
I’m betting no one remembers me but there are 3 of you I consider old friends and my ego will be shattered if none of you reach out to me in a bit

On 8/24/2023 at 8:58 PM, DDE said:

Strong contender for silliest sport ever.

For our school camp, 7 of my mates brought these exact dino costumes for the dance night

Imagine the faces of the teachers when 7 out of control students come running down the hallway making nosies

It was amazing. 

On 8/28/2023 at 2:36 PM, Wizard Kerbal said:

It’s just like I remember.

Well welcome back.

And what is it that you remember?

Bought a box of milk powder from Xinjiang. The richness of the milky flavor of this milk powder went to an extreme: our office recently bought a coffee machine and then used dark-roasted coffee beans. To maximize caffeine intake, we turned the ground coffee up to the finest grind and the largest amount. After pouring powdered milk that can be used in 150ml of water into the nearly 200ml of coffee in my cup, the milky flavor of the drink is still extraordinarily strong.

The last time I had milk like this was yak milk in Tibet.

Edited by steve9728

I've been teaching my Freshmen classes about ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia.  Most recent topic has been comparing religions. 

So afterwards, looking for something to do, I had them create their own religion / pantheon for a fictional country. 

Tonight is 'Meet the Teacher'

Any predictions on whether I'm going to be hearing from concerned parents? 

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Based on my superficial knowledge of the area, would it be hundreds or thousands of years before they became "somewhat controversial"?

Hmm... Of course, if the children's "pantheon" fits perfectly into the real historical timeline.

Spoiler

Hope your class's crusade won't be couple thousand years early:huh:

Edited by steve9728

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I've been teaching my Freshmen classes about ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia.  Most recent topic has been comparing religions. 

So afterwards, looking for something to do, I had them create their own religion / pantheon for a fictional country. 

Tonight is 'Meet the Teacher'

I’m not sure I can say without breaking forum rules!

Also

46 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I know the suspense is killing you. 

Zero. 

Won't lie - I expected something, maybe even only a snide remark... 

don’t sweat it, I haven’t checked the forum for over 24 hours due to being busy preparing to return home.

Considering something I have been considering for my future career is teaching (anthropology), I’m interested to hear more about your endeavors.

14 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

clearly, the parents have already converted. -_-

Well, considering one pantheon is completely built around Football?  Yeah, they're already there. 

BTW - lord of destruction and the underworld is called 'Ref' 

He throws the yellow flag of doom. 

Currently, there's a typhoon directly impacting the place where I live. The gov issued the highest typhoon warning at noon: all employers except all specialized working positions were asked to stop work. The public transport system stops operating at 7 p.m.

And then we got off work 4 hours early today.

OpWrgue.jpg

g8QFoMU.jpg

On exiting the metro station, I saw that the station exit had already begun assembling anti-flooding baffles and preparing sandbags.

Mr. Saola, why did you decide to come here at the freaking weekend?

Edited by steve9728

On 8/30/2023 at 10:55 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

Considering something I have been considering for my future career is teaching (anthropology), I’m interested to hear more about your endeavors

I have thought about teaching at nearly every career change I've had over the last 30 some odd years.  Never pulled that particular trigger (until now).  For a while I thought my path would take me to college or law school where I could Professorize -  it seemed the most obvious choice. 

Oddly, my friends who are Professors talked me out of it. (It would take too long to explain everything - but do talk to some folks currently in the college / university system before deciding) 

I was able to get a full teaching certificate for my state without having to go back and get a (nother) masters degree.   High school students really do need talented people - and having 'real-world' experience is a bonus. 

That said - it ain't as easy as it looks.  Thankfully my background involved a LOT of teaching (some classroom, much impromptu) - so I know how to run a class. 

But your first year is a LOT of work - especially if you don't inherit the prior teacher's materials / plans.  Even when you do, you discover that they cover the material in a way that doesn't jibe with your philosophy.  The cool thing is that you generally have the freedom and flexibility to teach however you want, so long as you are meeting the broad requirements. 

It's also really cool to see kids making connections that never occurred to them - they're terrible poker players... you always know when you are getting through! 

All of which is to say 'after 3 weeks, I still like it!' 

;D

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

On 8/18/2023 at 2:19 AM, SunlitZelkova said:

I’m heading to Japan for the first time since the pandemic in three hours :D

I’ll be visiting JAXA’s Tsukuba Space Center (provided no typhoon delays our sight seeing plans) so I’ll post pictures over in the JAXA thread in the Science & Spaceflight section.

Here's the post! We ended up visiting Chofu Space Center instead!

1 hour ago, steve9728 said:

Go for another business trip. Order a take-out and it was delivered by:

1SHwETY.jpg

8yB7XIW.jpg

One of the restaurants here in town that is on our normal date night rotation just got a robot waiter, looked a lot like that, just had more shelves inside for different dishes. Not surprising, since all of the restaurants in our town are chronically understaffed. It didn't serve us, we just saw it serving other tables.

so cat walked on the keyboard and chrome help came up, rather than removing the cat and undoing the damage, i entered "there is a cat on my keyboard".  finding no useful information, i minimized chrome and hit f1 again to get windows help. and with cortana shoved into an oubliette somewhere, bing came up and greeted me with an article about cats on keyboards. neither source suggested simply removing the cat (of course expect recompencement, cats are big on revenge).

Edited by Nuke