What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

8 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

@DDE that owl does not taunt me. And my sweet, kind, loving cat is amused by that owl.

Meanwhile, we had to consider whether we needed to move the middle cat back to town about 40 miles away because he wouldn't let his claws get trimmed...

9 hours ago, Nuke said:

just read on hack a day that they released the source code for descent 3. need to figure out how to compile for steam deck.

Or you could wait for the sale on it... https://store.steampowered.com/app/273590/Descent_3/

As for me, I accidentally made my family and myself cry after watching the newest episode of Bluey that just came out on Disney +. We had a big move, from Florida to Alabama, after living there for 24 years, and all of the kids being born there, so it was pretty rough thinking about the chaos that could happen just before you're getting ready to leave it all behind.

43 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

As for me, I accidentally made my family and myself cry after watching the newest episode of Bluey that just came out on Disney +. We had a big move, from Florida to Alabama, after living there for 24 years, and all of the kids being born there, so it was pretty rough thinking about the chaos that could happen just before you're getting ready to leave it all behind.

We've recently seen the same episode ourselves, and it shared a similar meaning for us as our future is uncertain concerning where we will live next year. 

1 hour ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Or you could wait for the sale on it... https://store.steampowered.com/app/273590/Descent_3/

well i still got my original disc, if i can find a functional cd drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Im growing concerned for the AI in MSFS. Im doing a flight and as yall know i run with live weather and live traffic. Im over Louisiana and hear a call for UAL2157 which is headed to houston intercontinental and its about 45 min out and the ai is calling it demanding it descend. It wont reach TOD (top of descent) for at least 20 min. Then i hear a call to Spirit airlines 310 to climb to FL370… its a flight from LAX to ft lauderdale…  did i mention im over louisiana?

VK Video Space Ambassador

VK Video is reaching intergalactic levels! We are looking for a brand ambassador in outer space who will represent VK Video to extraterrestrial civilizations.

Responsibilities:

• Representing the VK Video brand in space;
  • Negotiating with humanoid and non-humanoid alien races;
  • Making cold calls, hot calls, plasma calls;
  • Creating quality crop circles and circles and on other surfaces;
  • Invoicing and monitoring payments (including in spice).

Requirements:

• Professional level of proficiency in VK Video;
  • Communication skills;
  • Knowledge of nearby stars and star systems (such as Alpha Centauri, Luhman 16, Sirius);
  • Stress resistance, resistance to melting, no allergies to extraterrestrial fruits and vegetables;

No work experience required

Conditions:

• Official employment;
  • Full Mercurian workday.

If this vacancy suits your alien friend (unless they're a reptilian), you can forward this text to them.

And so the smart people get a hunch and look up how long the day is on Mercury...

But hey, it beats other strange Headhunter.ru offers, like Office Administrator/Office Fairy, Waiter/Rock-Paper-Scissors Expert ("Due to our ongoing 'beat the waiter in rock-paper-scissors and recieve a free course' we urgently need a waiter capable of winning at least 70% of the time"), the dozens of thinly veiled drug courier ads, or the Fury Room Administrator at "Break Me Totally".

12 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Im growing concerned for the AI in MSFS. Im doing a flight and as yall know i run with live weather and live traffic. Im over Louisiana and hear a call for UAL2157 which is headed to houston intercontinental and its about 45 min out and the ai is calling it demanding it descend. It wont reach TOD (top of descent) for at least 20 min. Then i hear a call to Spirit airlines 310 to climb to FL370… its a flight from LAX to ft lauderdale…  did i mention im over louisiana?

If you think that's fun, wait until they start putting AI in charge of real planes....

24 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

If you think that's fun, wait until they start putting AI in charge of real planes....

They wont. A real licensed pilot (a pair technically at minimum) is required for safety. One reason is preflight safety checks of brakes, tires, leading and trailing edges, external lights and so on. Another is handling in flight emergencies and figuring out if its legit or not and if so can it be dealt with in flight or is this a get on ground now kinda thing. AI cant do that. Theres more but you get the idea.

25 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

They wont. A real licensed pilot (a pair technically at minimum) is required for safety. One reason is preflight safety checks of brakes, tires, leading and trailing edges, external lights and so on. Another is handling in flight emergencies and figuring out if its legit or not and if so can it be dealt with in flight or is this a get on ground now kinda thing. AI cant do that. Theres more but you get the idea.

AI ATC....

Same thing. In a sim AI is fine as no risk is present. But real world? You need humans watching and directing. AI can glitch. Humans can too but humans can instantly adapt and course correct.

That second one, AI likely would not have caught it. Ive had something similar happen to me in MSFS when i did a flight from O’Hare to JFK. AI atc cleared me for take off, I was on my roll passing V1 (point of no return, im too fast and too far down runway, i cant stop and MUST lift off) when less than 800 feet ahead of me as im JUST starting my rotation an aircraft was turning to cross runway 09R at TWY R. AI said nothing but my TCAS was screaming. Had that been real world it could have been like Tenerife. 

9 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Same thing. In a sim AI is fine as no risk is present. But real world? You need humans watching and directing. AI can glitch. Humans can too but humans can instantly adapt and course correct.

That second one, AI likely would not have caught it. Ive had something similar happen to me in MSFS when i did a flight from O’Hare to JFK. AI atc cleared me for take off, I was on my roll passing V1 (point of no return, im too fast and too far down runway, i cant stop and MUST lift off) when less than 800 feet ahead of me as im JUST starting my rotation an aircraft was turning to cross runway 09R at TWY R. AI said nothing but my TCAS was screaming. Had that been real world it could have been like Tenerife. 

That's my whole point. Not that it's a good idea. That it's a bad idea, and they're going to do it anyway. ATC is a massively high stress job, highly regulated, which leads to chronic shortages in qualified personnel. How long before someone who should know better says, "Hey, lets supplement ATCs with AI!" Which will start the ball rolling.

FAA would likely stop it. Precisely because of how regulated ATC and aviation in general is. As a side note its why the FAA refuses certain airlines permission to operate in US Territorial airspace. But thats a whole kettle of other fish lol.

Posted (edited)

Sunday was the Stones, tonight we’re at Bruce Cockburn.

At both events we are the rare gen Xers in a sea of boomers

Edited by tater

A pair or two of rapid unplanned piloting accidents, and the TikTok-generation passengers will be signing petitions to replace the biopilots with properly working AI.

It's just a question of when the 3d-piloting AI gets ready.
And it has already piloted Buran 40 years ago

Also, it's a new problem in the world.

In XIX, several generations of your family were blacksmiths or carpenters.
In XX you were learning once to have a speciality for your entire life.
In XXI they have to change several occupations per life , doing everything same bad.
Thus, they will have no time to become experienced professionals in anything, including the piloting.
This make the coming AI replacement inevitable.

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

A pair or two of rapid unplanned piloting accidents

Not even that bad. As we see with the aftermath of the Boeing incident, merely giving press coverage to every last little incident can give the impression of a barely contained disaster.

1 minute ago, DDE said:

Not even that bad. As we see with the aftermath of the Boeing incident, merely giving press coverage to every last little incident can give the impression of a barely contained disaster.

Even when the 737 has much less fatal incidents than the whole civil aviation had in the early XX.

14 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

If anyone would go the ai route id expect airbus to. I mean they try to take piloting out of flying

That's true, but things don't tend to fall off of Airbus aircraft :D

At least boeing doesnt do this: 

yes in reality the aircraft is calling out to say throttle down, but boeing aircraft have auto-throttle and let you keep your focus outside the flight deck.