So 1.4 is upon us....

Gargamel

1.4 is coming out very shortly, but yet...

I always fall into the "wait for the mods to update" group.  I'm currently playing 1.2.1......   I grabbed 1.3.1 when it dropped, but wanted to wait for the mods to come around before I got into it.    And while I waited,  I got deep into a career game, which after almost 6 years of playing, I never really did before.  Just don't want to give up on it.   So seeing as 1.4 is around the corner, I figured I'd finally get my game in order.  Get all the mods while they are applicable for1.3.1. Sigh.... I have Ckan downloading almost a gig of mods right now.  Which for most wouldn't be a problem, but I'm on a metered and throttled satellite connection, so big downloads suck.

I always seem to do this.  I missed most of the .9x versions as I was stuck on .23.  

So I'll have to wait for the 1.4 mods to catchup.  And again, they'll probably push out 1.4.1 to fix the normal bugs that arise, so I'll have to wait again.  

Anybody else fall into this trap?

Edited by Gargamel

I waited a bit for 1.3.1 for my core set of mods to catch up, which didn't take long as most of the 1.3 versions already worked.

Since I started with 1.3, I haven't seen any major version changes.

I'll probably wait until my "necessary" mods are updated before switching to 1.4.

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Which for most wouldn't be a problem, but I'm on a metered and throttled satellite connection, so big downloads suck.

Oh, I remember those days.  512MB daily cap.  Freakishly slow.  But, it wasn't metered between like 3 and 6 am.  Any chance yours has a "free period?"

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

Any chance yours has a "free period?

Yes, but most apps these days don't have scheduling settings.  So I'm usually unconscious or at work from 0200-0800.    I do like that Steam has it though, so all the game updates happen then.  Except I still haven't transferred KSP over to steam. 

I didn't look too hard in Ckan to see if it can schedule, as this is the first time I've used it.  But I'll take a closer look. 

16 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

1.4 is coming shortly? I must have missed the announcement.

1.4 is a prerequisite for Making History, so we can expect it either same day or slightly before.

Don't think there's been a huge announcement about the 1.4 release date, but it's been confirmed: 

I've thought about it. It's the main reason I've made sure the few mods I use

• won't cause my save to disintegrate if they're not present.
  • are mods I can play without for as long as necessary.

This doesn't mean I will rush into 1.4 either. 1.3 baked into my save, variables that 1.3.1 could do nothing about. I had to remove them myself -which I did. With that experience still fresh and with no intention to let history repeat itself, I'll let Steam update KSP to 1.4, so that I can test it. In the meantime, I'll keep playing on the external 1.3.1 copy.

I tend to start a new stock career when a new version drops, and then add mods as they update. I tend to not need a mod until it's updated so it's cool, and have plenty of other games Into The Breach to play if I am stuck wanting to - for example - go interplanetary before Transfer Window Planner is updated.

I've even been known to - gasp - do without a mod for a while.

57 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I tend to start a new stock career when a new version drops, and then add mods as they update. I tend to not need a mod until it's updated so it's cool, and have plenty of other games Into The Breach to play if I am stuck wanting to - for example - go interplanetary before Transfer Window Planner is updated.

I've even been known to - gasp - do without a mod for a while.

Ditto. Except in my case rather than Into the Breach, I'm still having fun beating my head against the wall with FTL. Plus ASTRONEER just dropped a major update last week that added a whole new base-building mechanic. 

So, when 1.4 drops, I'll do what I've done for every update since I started playing the game 5 years ago with 0.19: I'll start a new Career save (probably a Science career, for reasons ...) and just add the mods as they're come available. And even then, my core mods are pretty basic: MJ to take care of the grind of launching payloads into LKO over and over, KAC and/or TWP for the obvious reason, plus some beautification mods (hey, I got a decent GPU, might as well get to use it).  I'll just cross my fingers and hope @NavyFish is available and interested in updating his amazing DPAI. 

But in any case, life will go on. People will be ecstatic. People will whine. It is as it ever was.

31 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I didn't realize there were times of day that aren't metered

My plan is 10Gb per month anytime, and 50Gb per month 0200-0800.   I usually can pull 3-10 mbps within those limits.  Once I go over, it get's throttled to about .1 mbps.  But they (Hughesnet) recently made some changes so that video streaming is throttled, or they changed the compression, or something.  Previously Netflix was unwatchable once I was throttled, but now I have to let it buffer and wait a minute or so, but I can usually watch a movie no prob.  Oddly, Amazon video can't handle the latency, and throws errors all the time.   I rarely break the night allowances, so I restrict all my schedulable downloads to those times.   This was sadly the best option to have usable internet at my house.  Landline ISP was only .02 mbps all the time.  Yet they put a repeater a 1/4 mile south of me, but didn't run the line back upstream.   People downstream of me can get 5 mbps.   Grrr....

5 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

It is as it ever was

And now that's stuck in my head.... thanks. 

I'll be buying the new releases the day they comes out, but will most likely just have a fairly quick look at it, then return to my 1.3.1 build and wait for mods to catch up.

I could start a career game day one, and play through to complete the tech tree, something I've done for all previous versions. However I still like my pretties (Scatterer etc.) while scratching for a buck or two, so probably 1.3.1 for me for a little while at least.

Just started a new career with SVE, KER, AA, and KAS/KIS. No way I'm abandoning that because of 1.4 until the main mods catchup!

Mad props to the people putting so much work into making and maintaining them. I know people mostly just complain when something doesn't work. So... thank you.

11 hours ago, SpacedCowboy said:

1.4 I'll take. As far as the DLC goes, being less than two months short of getting the freebie, I'll wait until the bad taste in my mouth subsides.

Sorry, but I think the eligibility for the DLC should have been pro-rated.

They set a date.  It's not their fault you bought it after that date.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

They set a date.  It's not their fault you bought it after that date.

I don't know about you, but when I bought into the game (full price directly from their store, nothing 'on sale') there was a notice stating that all future game updates would be free. I bought in after their years later 'set date', so I'm in that outside group as well. Now if I'm wrong please do correct me, but I'm getting the idea that all my free future game updates aren't ... because all free future game updates will be bundled with some manner of DLC.

That being the case, if you ask me, this kinda sucks.

13 hours ago, LameLefty said:

But in any case, life will go on. People will be ecstatic. People will whine. It is as it ever was.

Yea, I've noticed that.

10 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Now if I'm wrong please do correct me, but I'm getting the idea that all my free future game updates aren't ... because all free future game updates will be bundled with some manner of DLC.

I don't know, but to me "Updates" isn't the same as "All new content". There is an update being shipped, 1.4, and you will get that for free. The DLC will feature a new mode of play and historical parts. Tho, if you ask me, the line separating what should be "DLC" and what should be "update" is more than a bit fuzzy, and I wouldn't mind seeing those new parts on the stock game, myself.

I do use mods, but they've grown fewer and fewer, and I don't think I need them anymore... well, Alarm Clock is the one I really rely on, but it updates fairly quickly. I can do without KER, and the only mod that blows my ships ifI uninstall is RPM because of the cameras, but I haven't used them in so long I can just remove them from the ships that have it. So, I guess i'll be trying 1.4 as soon as it comes out :)

24 minutes ago, Pit_2 said:

Is there a way to force the game to not update?  When 1.3 dropped it broke all of my 1.2 mods and it wasn't fun.  Now I'm playing with 1.3 mods and I don't want those to break when 1.4 drops.

If you play with Steam, then no, I don't think there is... but you can outsmart it.  :)

KSP doesn't have any DRM on it.  You can easily copy it from one location on your hard drive to another.  So, all you have to do is, copy the KSP installation folder to some other folder on your hard drive, and that will be a completely "safe" version of KSP that will never update unless you update it, because Steam doesn't know about it.  Steam will just update the folder it knows about.

16 hours ago, Gargamel said:

So I'll have to wait for the 1.4 mods to catchup.

Bear in mind that the jury's still out on just how much mod breakage there will be.  Depending on what sort of internal changes there are, it's possible that many mods will be unaffected.  For example, my own mods have generally worked fine without code changes necessary over the last few KSP updates.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.