Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

That's interesting - by some reason, I'm receiving more and more notifications about T2I news and on this very weekend I received what follows:

1) Don't expect a Red Dead Redemption movie anytime soon: Take-Two boss says the film industry is 'a really hard business' and he's not looking to rush into it

Apparently, T2I is making tons of money on games, to the point that any residual gain from movies, series or whatever doesn't worth their time. Ok, then… but then… 

2) Take-Two Interactive CEO defends next-gen price hike

“We deliver a much, much bigger game for $60 or $70 than we delivered for $60 10 years ago. The opportunity to spend money online is completely optional, and it’s not a free-to-play title. It’s a complete, incredibly robust experience even if you never spend another penny after your initial purchase.”

Somehow, the KSP2 state of affairs came to my mind - something is not boding well.

And finally:

3) Take-Two CEO Says GTA 6 Is 'Completely Protected' From Delays if Voice Actors Strike

Uh, wait… There's a video game actor union strike ongoing?

In fact, this was a very interesting week… 

linux still wont recognize the samba share on my router. i think the router uses an smb version that is deprecated in my distro. it isnt even an old router, think it would be capable of using something higher than smb1. but no.

On 11/3/2023 at 12:14 PM, Kerbalsaurus said:

Today some stuck-up girls in my class told on one of my best friends for something he never did. I heard them scheming in science, and they said something along the lines that he told them to kill themselves, and other stuff that never happened. He's now been suspended. The worst part is I could've actively prevented all of this from happening. I heard they were going to do this, and I was going to tell the teacher they were making this stuff up before they got to him, but I stupidly forgot and now this has happened

He could, if he wanted to take drastic measures, sue the girls and/or the school for emotional distress and/or depending on the state (i think), presenting false evidence (the fact that they were scheming), which is a felony. 

I also am considering filing a suit against someone for similar reasons (emotional distress), because this kid was an 8th grader bullying me in 7th grade, which has increased the levels of anxiety, increased depression risk and stress that I experience every day, but I don't know if this is morally correct. (i got into college earlier this year, and graduated 1 3/4 years ago.)

Replies would be nice!

36 minutes ago, AstroWolfie said:

He could, if he wanted to take drastic measures, sue the girls and/or the school for emotional distress and/or depending on the state (i think), presenting false evidence (the fact that they were scheming), which is a felony. 

I also am considering filing a suit against someone for similar reasons (emotional distress), because this kid was an 8th grader bullying me in 7th grade, which has increased the levels of anxiety, increased depression risk and stress that I experience every day, but I don't know if this is morally correct. (i got into college earlier this year, and graduated 1 3/4 years ago.)

Replies would be nice!

It depends on the extent of the damage he did and if he has truly done something against the law.

Did he derail your life and end up forcing you to go through a painful recovery? Or did he just make things a little gloomier everyday at school?

If the former, then I would say yes. If the latter, I would say no.

On 11/12/2023 at 3:28 PM, Lisias said:

Apparently, T2I is making tons of money on games, to the point that any residual gain from movies, series or whatever doesn't worth their time. Ok, then… but then… 

Movies don't always make money. For every Barbie there's a The Marvels.

11 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Movies don't always make money. For every Barbie there's a The Marvels.

Games are not differently, AFAIK. For every KSP¹ there're at least a couple KSP2 - at best!

There's a good argument on that article, however - a flop on the theatres may reflect on the game and vice-versa, what's a risk. But the inverse is also true, a good movie will reflect positively on the game and vice versa.

Nintendo appears to have found the yellow brick road on this matter.

A Reddit comment of mine got removed due to violating community rules for the first time.

I didn’t even remember what it might have been, so I click on the link they provided to the comment in question and… I can’t see it because it has been deleted.

Why link it then? Lol.

On 11/14/2023 at 9:21 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

A Reddit comment of mine got removed due to violating community rules for the first time.

I didn’t even remember what it might have been, so I click on the link they provided to the comment in question and… I can’t see it because it has been deleted.

Why link it then? Lol.

try your profile's links for past comments:

https://www.reddit.com/user/<yourlogin>/comments/

At least for me, comments removed from a reddit are still available on that link (and, yeah, I have my share too! :) )

Edited by Lisias
tyop! Surprised?

17 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Why link it then? Lol.

this is why i don't use reddit.

18 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Don't worry, Reddit's moderation system has opaqueness down to a science. My first account didn't get banned, it just got irreversibly messed up somehow, and instead of any help I've been getting boilerplate messages from the Anti-Evil Operations Team.

That I was... ejected on the noon of 2018 US elections probably wasn't a coincidence.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Don't worry, Reddit's moderation system has opaqueness down to a science. My first account didn't get banned, it just got irreversibly messed up somehow, and instead of any help I've been getting boilerplate messages from the Evil Anti-Evil Operations Team.

That I was... ejected on the noon of 2018 US elections probably wasn't a coincidence.

fixed.

Well, I basically snapped at some person today who was making me feel uncomfortable. Is that ok? sorry if this is feeling like r/aita, but this person was basically simping and stuff like that. I was casually talking to some classmates about space stuff and their all like "hurr durr im stupid and *insert idiot simp type quote here*", so I raised my voice at them to try and tell them to fluff off (I groom dogs as a side gig and thats what i think the grumpy ones are thinking lol). oh yeah im a bit liquided rn because it happened like 20 mins ago and i want to head to my apartment and play Fallen Order.

Edited by AstroWolfie
e

14 minutes ago, AstroWolfie said:

Is that ok? sorry if this is feeling like r/aita

You're more like to get a sane answer here, though ;)

15 minutes ago, AstroWolfie said:

I was casually talking to some classmates about space stuff and their all like "hurr durr im stupid and *insert idiot simp type quote here*", so I raised my voice at them to try and tell them to fluff off

Sorry, but the answer to the question "AITA" here would be yes. Not everyone is obligated to be interested in stuff you are, and the onus was on you to not be a Sith, and change topics or beat a retreat if the other interlocutors aren't interested. Raising a voice is an escalation of aggressiveness over any amount of obnoxiousness they may have expressed.

Besides, I find your claim of simping suspect because it involves a group of people and not a romantic interest... or have le zoomers learnt the pejorative "simpleton" and decided to shorten it?

Got a small domestic accident here, injured my right arm. (sigh)

Didn't broke anything, but I surely pulled some muscles near the shoulder. So my right arm is essentially useless for now.

It's interesting how things on Real Life© became harder when you can't use your "directing arm" (didn't found the correct term in EN, its the arm you preferentially use for using tools), and I'm kindly abstracting some details of the ordeal. :sticktongue:

Even using a mouse became an exercise of will power, what to say typing something? (Programming? Seriously? :P ).

Let's hope this arm gets better before Monday, I still have a Day Job™ to cope!

On 11/17/2023 at 11:19 AM, AstroWolfie said:

Well, I basically snapped at some person today who was making me feel uncomfortable. Is that ok? sorry if this is feeling like r/aita, but this person was basically simping and stuff like that. I was casually talking to some classmates about space stuff and their all like "hurr durr im stupid and *insert idiot simp type quote here*", so I raised my voice at them to try and tell them to fluff off (I groom dogs as a side gig and thats what i think the grumpy ones are thinking lol). oh yeah im a bit liquided rn because it happened like 20 mins ago and i want to head to my apartment and play Fallen Order.

sometimes its better to let people know what you think of them. its not friendly but it does send a message that you wont be bossed around by monkeys. of course im a bit of a sociopath so ymmv. young people in general seem to think that success is measured by how many shortcuts you can take. education, employment, relationships, responsibilities in general. in time they will be the one taking low paying jobs they hate to pay for child support and alimony not to mention taxes, or being sent to the can for failure to do these things. 

On 11/17/2023 at 11:40 AM, DDE said:

You're more like to get a sane answer here, though ;)

Sorry, but the answer to the question "AITA" here would be yes. Not everyone is obligated to be interested in stuff you are, and the onus was on you to not be a Sith, and change topics or beat a retreat if the other interlocutors aren't interested. Raising a voice is an escalation of aggressiveness over any amount of obnoxiousness they may have expressed.

Besides, I find your claim of simping suspect because it involves a group of people and not a romantic interest... or have le zoomers learnt the pejorative "simpleton" and decided to shorten it?

actually its not new slang. frank burns used it a lot on m*a*s*h, though i think its meaning has shifted slightly.

Edited by Nuke

On 11/17/2023 at 12:40 PM, DDE said:

Not everyone is obligated to be interested in stuff you are,

Well, these folks I was talking to are mutual friends of mine who are in our small ksp club, and I was explaining to them about skyhooks for spaceflight, and this fellow basically is obsessed with that weird toilet trend and has explicitly stated that he thinks space is “nerd stuff”

On 11/17/2023 at 12:40 PM, DDE said:

le zoomers learnt the pejorative "simpleton" and decided to shorten it?

I think it’s like wimp and something else I think idk

8 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

Well, these folks I was talking to are mutual friends of mine who are in our small ksp club, and I was explaining to them about skyhooks for spaceflight, and this fellow basically is obsessed with that weird toilet trend and has explicitly stated that he thinks space is “nerd stuff”

Well, in a way or another, nobody has the duty to like what you are talking - you have the right to say whatever you want, but no one have the duty to listen to you.

That said, annoyed people can just walk from the conversation instead of trying to make you uncomfortable on speaking. If I understood correctly, they drove you mad by mocking you instead of just telling you "I'm not interested, let's talk about something else?".

There're many interpretations for this behaviour, but one possible that came to my mind is they think you are there to entertain them, and so you should talk only what they want to listen. So it's up to you to comply or not.

Since you choose not to comply, IMHO the best line of action is just say "hey, I need to go to bathroom" and walk away from the group and that's it. You may be entitled to be annoyed by their behaviour, but why bother externalising it?

Sincerity is a very expensive gift not be wasted on cheap people!

Edited by Lisias
Entertaining grammar made slightly less entertaining.

8 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

Ah, yes

"I think you're boring so let me talk about a stupid trend that's absorbing the minds of millions of children"

Find better friends if that's how they treat you :D

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Managed to hurt a floating rib at work today by leaning on something the wrong way.

What a drag it is getting old...

Reveal hidden contents

Had a bout of walking pneumonia over the last couple of weeks. I concur.

19 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Managed to hurt a floating rib at work today by leaning on something the wrong way.

What a drag it is getting old...

Reveal hidden contents

i did something to my finger on tuesday, its swollen and hurts when i use it. all i did was pick up a 12 pack. 

also im tired of people telling me not to stuff my bird.  nothing quite as good as in-bird giblet stuffing (our bird didnt come with gibs unfortunately). the same people also make mushy inedible stuffing. i always make my stuffing a little dry to draw out the juices of the bird. this would make the bird dry if not for multiple butter and chicken stock injections. an air gap helps on large birds, ours was only a 10 pounder. cooking low and slow and use the meat thermometer to verify all the usual red spots are at an acceptable tempurature. people trust the little plastic popper too much. that just the indicator to start probing. the end result is some of the best stuffing you can get. side dressing doesn't compare.

Edited by Nuke

4 hours ago, Nuke said:

i did something to my finger on tuesday, its swollen and hurts when i use it. all i did was pick up a 12 pack. 

also im tired of people telling me not to stuff my bird.  nothing quite as good as in-bird giblet stuffing (our bird didnt come with gibs unfortunately). the same people also make mushy inedible stuffing. i always make my stuffing a little dry to draw out the juices of the bird. this would make the bird dry if not for multiple butter and chicken stock injections. an air gap helps on large birds, ours was only a 10 pounder. cooking low and slow and use the meat thermometer to verify all the usual red spots are at an acceptable tempurature. people trust the little plastic popper too much. that just the indicator to start probing. the end result is some of the best stuffing you can get. side dressing doesn't compare.

When I was a kid, my mom used to stuff the bird with French stuffing, mashed potatoes and sausage. I kinda miss that, never really found a flavor like it.

That said, we butterfly our bird, so there is no way to stuff it. But, it cooks evenly in 2 to 2-1/2 hours, so there's that.

Once again, Thanksgiving dinner was divine. And literally the only thing in the entire dinner that wasn't made from scratch was the french-fried onions on top of the green bean casserole.

Tomorrow we go out and cut our Christmas tree, decorate the house, and watch A Christmas Story. It's the start of the season.