Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

22 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

I just bombed the absolute hell out of my calc bc practice test.... if i do that badly on exam day it's joever for me

Same here!

On 5/3/2024 at 10:47 AM, Deddly said:

I am seriously impressed that a level-headed and respectful discussion of politics has occurred on the Internet. I truly applaud that, well done! 

Since discussing politics is, however, not allowed on this forum, we had to remove it. I actually think most of you guys already know this :blink:

It's nice to finally have a level headed conversations about politics.

1 hour ago, LHACK4142 said:

I just bombed the absolute hell out of my calc bc practice test.... if i do that badly on exam day it's joever for me

Ya... Not the calc test but my grammar final :wacko:

Just heard weapons fired in anger for the first time in my life. AA missiles, specifically.

8 hours ago, DDE said:

Just heard weapons fired in anger for the first time in my life. AA missiles, specifically.

Not something to "Like" but we only have one reaction.  I hope you're as safe as can be.

3 hours ago, Jacke said:

Not something to "Like" but we only have one reaction.  I hope you're as safe as can be.

One year and there's only been one casualty due to broken glass. Might get worse with the new Cessna clone kamikazes carrying FABs, but until now these things have largely been an annoyance. There's not even an air raid notification system in place.

Frankly I'm more worried about the first stages of the Pantsir missile than I am about their targets.

cajilnz7ud4kjpin34tljt7w4mo1a75r.jpg

1 hour ago, AstroWolfie said:

Where?

Moscow's southern outskirts.

That damaged shop was in Belgorod, but earlier examples have been seen all over the place in several theatres.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

You live in Russia?

Yes, and because of a mutual acquaintance, I constantly have Rogozin in my recommendeds on VK.

Edited by DDE

Posted (edited)

Playing elite dangerous and a ctd may have just cost me over an hours work…

015105122024 015205122024

thankfully it did not. Loaded back in on my sample.

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 4/25/2024 at 7:33 PM, TheSaint said:

"Yeah, it's time for all this to go."

I moved thirteen years ago and yesterday I threw out some stuff that was still in the moving boxes, unopened all this time.

I hate how I'm always being tracked.  Reddit is the least subtle about it, but I'm sure all the big tech companies are very enthusiastically tracking me and sharing data between them.  I was talking to my cuber friend, and I went on Reddit afterwards and would you look at that, it's suggesting all these random cubing posts that it never does.  It also suggested a dance subreddit- I don't dance, but one of my relatives does, and I hate how Reddit knows that and exploits it specifically to get me addicted.  Modern advertising is freaking creepy and is always listening to me, trying to get inside my brain (and succeeding so much more than I'd like). 

I feel like these days there's no practical other choice, either.  If you don't want this I feel like you'd probably need to like delete every single account of yours and your family's and your friends's, force them all to use some UNIX-based OS (on which nothing works without an hour of debugging) and never touch any social media ever again, make a million user data deletion requests, and innumerable other practically impossible things.

6 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

Modern advertising is freaking creepy and is always listening to me

Probably quite literally. We've long suspected that the content of our family discussions seems to be instantaneously reflected in contextual advertising, in the most unlikely of ways.

I never let Reddit recommend me anything back when I was there, I frustrate Yandex with the use of InPrivate even though it retaliates by making me do Captchas every five minutes, and VK's contextual advertisement... is reassuringly generic. Facebook spams me in hopes of bringing me back, heh.

The most irritating thing as of late is Microsoft. They've clearly taken the tactic of "we know what's best for you better than you do". The new Outlook just won't stay disabled. Access verification via mobile Outlook gets activated on its own. What's next, presumption of consent to a kidney "donation"?

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

One of my mobile games just made an APPALLING request. It asked me to allow it to TRACK me for a “better ad experience.” Wow subtlety is out the window….

Hey, points for honesty at least!

On 5/11/2024 at 10:51 PM, AlamoVampire said:

Playing elite dangerous and a ctd may have just cost me over an hours work…

015105122024 015205122024

thankfully it did not. Loaded back in on my sample.

my first day playing i spent several hours mining. but then when i went to cash in i accidently jettisoned cargo rather than extending the landing gear. i lost the cargo and got a fine for my trouble. it was two years before i played the game again. for 2 hours, when i got my quest 2.

i play games to escape reality but that was too realistic for me.

Edited by Nuke

Elite Dangerous is designed to be as real as possible. It may be set in 3310, but time in game is 1:1 real time and the galaxy in game is 1:1 to our real galaxy. I love the realism honestly. Yea it takes liberties but, its a great game, just confuses me when things happen in ways that dont make sense. 

2 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Elite Dangerous is designed to be as real as possible. It may be set in 3310, but time in game is 1:1 real time and the galaxy in game is 1:1 to our real galaxy. I love the realism honestly. Yea it takes liberties but, its a great game, just confuses me when things happen in ways that dont make sense. 

im fine with realism but does it have to extend to traffic violations.

@Nuke when entering stations yes. The mail slot or inside the bay (area with the landing pads) only has so much space and you need to either land in a reasonable time or get out in a reasonable time. If you linger the station will get irritated and fine you. Delay too long and it will kill you. I own one of the 3 largest ships, the Anaconda and it BARELY fits the mail slot (station entry point) and anything in my way can physically get me stuck and killed.