Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

3 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Just had read this.

The microcalypse was caused by the conflict between the CrowdStrike and the M$ Azure update.

As the M$ updates are sanctionally blocked for Russia, even the licensed M$ instances were not affected...

The same story as the youtube ads. No youtube ads in Russia.

Politics aside there is a real upside to going indigenous and making it policy to move away from reliance on foreign systems.

China is the only country I’m aware of doing this on a mass scale, although India is also aiming for it (in theory, at least).

I say I am aware of. This is simply because I’m not super familiar with the domestic policies of other nations besides the US, China, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Japan. Not because I’ve read and claim to state that no other country is doing this.

14 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

Someone should make a news outlet with stories representative of the real world, stories like "Study Shows Literally Nobody Is Out to Get You", "SHOCKING FACT: Most People Found to Be Decent", etc

BREAKING NEWS: Lots of People Agree With You.

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

As the M$ updates are sanctionally blocked for Russia, even the licensed M$ instances were not affected...

Strange O.S..

The only winning move is not to update.

How about a nice boot on Linux?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmGXeAtWUw

Edited by Lisias
This time was the autocomplete, I swear!!

5 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Politics aside there is a real upside to going indigenous and making it policy to move away from reliance on foreign systems.

I've been thinking about this a lot for my own purposes. Without government intervention it may be difficult. Software, like most typical American exports, is something that scales extremely well (and, outside the domain of AVs, is subject to Lancaster's network effects), which heavily encourages monopolies.

You're gonna need those politics.

Spoiler

And I do mean most exports. Do you really think the US domesgic market could ever pay for the Rock's paycheck of 50 mln/movie?

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

I think Boeing would reach success on clothing industry... Selling underwear.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jul/18/boeing-fresh-safety-questions-engine-fire-flight-scotland

(Really... terrible times to own Boeing stocks...)

Lockheed Martin has a streetwear brand in South Korea…

My father-in-law passed away last night. My wife took the day off of work yesterday and drove out to California to see him. She got to spend about three hours with him.

I'm really kinda ready for this summer to be over at this point. :(

6 minutes ago, DDE said:

First Russian victims of the update found: SCADA systems of L'Oreal and Procter and Gamble.

On 7/19/2024 at 1:20 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

It’s taken out emergency services, airports, railroads, businesses, banks, and the giant ball in Los Angeles.

So, the part of the superserious servers, powered with Linux, has appeared to be much smaller than the Linux enthusiasts were telling.

I'm desperately debugging a problem that doesn't exists since Monday, due a borked deploy on the QAS servers.

Apparently, an important client was using QAS on some critical task, and things escalated pretty quickly, pressuring me to quickly fix the problem at any costs - what I did, and with costs.

That costs screwed other clients, that so escalated things again pretty quickly, pressuring me to quickly fix the problem at any costs - what I denied. This time I will diagnose the problem properly, and the clients will have to wait. This is the freaking QAS, it's the reason we have it, to detect nasty problems before they reach Production.

After another 3 painstaking hours of diagnosing, the root cause was (not unsurprisingly) the half baked fix for the borked deploy on Monday, followed by a unexpected http 30x that one partner thought it would be a good idea to issue instead of a http 404 or plain http 405 on a URL - as automated processes would be interested in reading their help page.

Dude...

The fix for this second borked fix? Redeploying the code that was deployed on Monday!!!!!

I'm code reviewing everything, rerunning unit tests, you name it, and nothing wrong was detected. Rerun the integration tests on the DEV servers, everything is working as expected.

So the problem was environmental.

TL;DR: we should not had moved the code from DEV to Public QAS without probing it first on our internal QAS (yeah, I use an Internal QAS before shipping code to Public QAS), but since that project was being developed by a 3rd party without access to our internal QAS servers, the P.O. decided to push the code to Public QAS.

And this, my friends, is the reason we do staging deployment and should not deviate from due development process.

CrowdStrike is hiring? :/

--- -- - POST EDIT - -- ---

Now I will spend the rest of the day debugging server's configuration.

This failing (and it will probably will), I will spend the rest of the week monitoring the requests and responses from our partners and clients to understand what in hell happened at Monday, what I still don't understand.

Edited by Lisias
Better phrasing.

That V-22 Osprey crash in November was caused by a failure in the aircraft’s gearbox and human error. 
I talked with one of the crew members who was onboard that Osprey in a Reddit AMA about the V-22. Username was u/UR_WRONG_ABOUT_V22, he would always defend the V-22 when an incident happened. 

Youtube is getting worse with its abominable ads. Lately ive run into ads that have “Skip in” and the timer. It counts down and never lets you skip. It FORCES you to watch. Worse yet are the longer videos that are 30+ minutes long that claim “fewer ad breaks for this long video” but refuse to let you skip for 30-50 seconds if at all. Also you get forced into the same number of ads regardless how they time them. And no. I will not pay for premium or support google in general with my monies.

42 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Youtube is getting worse with its abominable ads. Lately ive run into ads that have “Skip in” and the timer. It counts down and never lets you skip. It FORCES you to watch. Worse yet are the longer videos that are 30+ minutes long that claim “fewer ad breaks for this long video” but refuse to let you skip for 30-50 seconds if at all. Also you get forced into the same number of ads regardless how they time them. And no. I will not pay for premium or support google in general with my monies.

Same here. I dont understand how Google can make YouTube even worse. They have to be making these decisions on purpose!

Adblockers work well for me, but the moment I notice that they aren’t working I have to uninstall the blocker, clear my cache, and reinstall the same or a different blocker. It’s quite a pain but better than sitting through ads every single video

On 7/19/2024 at 9:06 AM, BA-Forums said:

BREAKING NEWS: Lots of People Agree With You.

Purchased a domain to make a site for heartwarming stories, user submitted.

Like post secret but happy excrements.

My level of technical experience is abyssmal and i jave a lenchant for procrastinating, so I'll probably get it off the ground sometime next year.

1 hour ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

Adblockers work well for me, but the moment I notice that they aren’t working I have to uninstall the blocker, clear my cache, and reinstall the same or a different blocker. It’s quite a pain but better than sitting through ads every single video

Works well on a computer but not on my mobile or my ps5 :(