[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

8 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I've never really sorted out doing a rendezvous by hand, but it should be easy enough with the gravatic - assuming one is adept with rendezvous by hand.  I am not.  Time to learn

Never done a rendezvous & docking with chem rockets? :o

On 5/7/2022 at 2:41 AM, Angel-125 said:

It's more of a doodling than a working thing right now. My work on Buffalo 2 reminded me of this:

986fe490dbe9fcfdd937585a26fffd20.jpg

... and I realized that in certain configurations, the Buffalo 2 parts kind of look like it...

F5n4m2N.png

z0Vd0L7.png

... so it got me thinking about making a gravitic engine for Buffalo 2 and a small gate for Blueshift that can be placed on the ground or in orbit. Unlike the larger gates, the small gate would have a limited jump range, a small maximum mass limit, and it would pay the Graviolium toll. Absolutely no promises though.

A groundbased mini-stargate? Yeah ! I'd love to see this. Sending Kerbals to a colony on e.g. on laythe using a stargate after installing it... would be fantastic. 

Colonell John Shepard would love it. And yeah, i need to create a Teyla Imagan Kerman... Because I can. :cool:

2 hours ago, Rakete said:

Never done a rendezvous & docking with chem rockets? :o

I've been lazy all along and have relied on Mechjeb to do the the tedious work for me.  The rendezvous autopilot and docking autopilot are great time savers.  Now I'll pay the price for that laziness.  I know the basics of it though.  It'll just take practice.

@Angel-125 Just a question on the Graviolium belt Jool.

The config says SPACEDUST_RESOURCE:NEEDS[!WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers,SpaceDust]

Meaning no Saucers but Spacedust is there, right? Exactly my current setup. But I can't seem to get the Graviolium belts to see. Even If a turn the always identified and always visible in the config on. As far as I can see, there is no scanner that can detect graviolium apart from the stock rotating sensor thingy. What am I doing wrong? Should I delete the first string !WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers? Maybe this causes MM to interpret it wrong?

Update: I teleported a FFT Exoharvester (PK-EXO Bussard particle scoop) to jools Orbit (355km, but the same for a 3,3 Mm Orbit) for testing reasons: I filled a graviolium tank instantanously . The harvester PAW says "inf u/s" for the graviolum ressource. So the belt seams to be there but not working correctly and not being displayed in SpaceDust. Maybe you could investigate whats wrong with the SpaceDust-Patch? Sooo something is not working in the combination FFT/Blueshift/Spacedust.

Maybe also choosing an FFT-Sensor to make Graviolium visible in SpaceDust? at the moment it is not possible to scan for space belts of graviolium. No scanner delivers the cloudy spacedust visualization in the map view. So it is not listed in the detected spacedust ressources. The rotational Stock scanner thingy doesn't seem to find gravi a spacedust ressource.

Ugly testrig vehicle using NF Electrical, Spacedust, FFT and Blueshift.: https://www.filemail.com/d/nzynhfpugrceyyy

Testscenario: Teleport Vehicle to Jool and use the on board scanners to find graviolium. No gravi will be found and displayed in the Spacedust map view. Try different heights.

Activate the exo harvester: It fills the gravi tank instantaneously, which it shouldn't according to your set abundance values. The harvester PAW says "inf u/s". So something looks to be wrong with the Spacedustpatch of Blueshift. Sorry, but for any inconvinience but i seem to find all those little hidden bugs :sticktongue:

Edited by Rakete

@Angel-125 Trivia alert!  I know that you have settled on "flameout" for a sudden stoppage of the warp engine but personally I've always thought that "unstart" was possibly more accurate.  It's a term from the SR-71 and XB-70 programs.  I've had the opportunity to sit in presentations by some SR-71 drivers and this is always a topic they discuss.  Evidently it is quite attention getting when you are driving one of these beasts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unstart

The Schlieren visualizations are pretty dramatic.  In the warp drive context, I would think that the gravitational gradient at the cutoff point would cause a gravity wave flow disruption similar to the airflow disruption of an unstart.  At least it sounds good, I think.

Just some ramblings.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

39 minutes ago, Rakete said:

The config says SPACEDUST_RESOURCE:NEEDS[!WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers,SpaceDust]

Meaning no Saucers but Spacedust is there, right? Exactly my current setup. But I can't seem to get the Graviolium belts to see. Even If a turn the always identified and always visible in the config on. As far as I can see, there is no scanner that can detect graviolium apart from the stock rotating sensor thingy. What am I doing wrong? Should I delete the first string !WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers? Maybe this causes MM to interpret it wrong?

I expect that the key is the order of precedence of the various .cfg files.  I've struggled with that in trying to understand the workings of the WildBlue parts. 

11 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 Trivia alert!  I know that you have settled on "flameout" for a sudden stoppage of the warp engine but personally I've always thought that "unstart" was possibly more accurate.  It's a term from the SR-71 and XB-70 programs.  I've had the opportunity to sit in presentations by some SR-71 drivers and this is always a topic they discuss.  Evidently it is quite attention getting when you are driving one of these beasts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unstart

The Schlieren visualizations are pretty dramatic.  In the warp drive context, I would think that the gravitational gradient at the cutoff point would cause a gravity wave flow disruption similar to the airflow disruption of an unstart.  At least it sounds good, I think.

Just some ramblings.

You’ll need to change the game’s localization files to rename flameout to unstart.

Nice abode too!

Hey @Angel-125Blueshift has quickly become my faveorite FTL mod ever for KSP. I love your design here and the requirements for stucture, etc. However, I have a quick question if I may? I've noticed that when I'm in interstellar space traveling between stars, the speed of the ship sky rockets to 10,000c or much higher and I seem to just fly right past stars I have targeted. Is this supposed to happen?  Or is there a specific velocity curve based on location? 

2 hours ago, RayneCloud said:

Hey @Angel-125Blueshift has quickly become my faveorite FTL mod ever for KSP. I love your design here and the requirements for stucture, etc. However, I have a quick question if I may? I've noticed that when I'm in interstellar space traveling between stars, the speed of the ship sky rockets to 10,000c or much higher and I seem to just fly right past stars I have targeted. Is this supposed to happen?  Or is there a specific velocity curve based on location? 

This is supposed to happen. In interstellar space your speed goes way up to cut the time it takes to travel between stars. You can adjust this in the settings.cfg file. This happens because warping during timewarp is very bad.

23 hours ago, Rakete said:

Update: I teleported a FFT Exoharvester (PK-EXO Bussard particle scoop) to jools Orbit (355km, but the same for a 3,3 Mm Orbit) for testing reasons: I filled a graviolium tank instantanously . The harvester PAW says "inf u/s" for the graviolum ressource. So the belt seams to be there but not working correctly and not being displayed in SpaceDust. Maybe you could investigate whats wrong with the SpaceDust-Patch? Sooo something is not working in the combination FFT/Blueshift/Spacedust.

Maybe also choosing an FFT-Sensor to make Graviolium visible in SpaceDust? at the moment it is not possible to scan for space belts of graviolium. No scanner delivers the cloudy spacedust visualization in the map view. So it is not listed in the detected spacedust ressources. The rotational Stock scanner thingy doesn't seem to find gravi a spacedust ressource.

Ugly testrig vehicle using NF Electrical, Spacedust, FFT and Blueshift.: https://www.filemail.com/d/nzynhfpugrceyyy

Testscenario: Teleport Vehicle to Jool and use the on board scanners to find graviolium. No gravi will be found and displayed in the Spacedust map view. Try different heights.

Activate the exo harvester: It fills the gravi tank instantaneously, which it shouldn't according to your set abundance values. The harvester PAW says "inf u/s". So something looks to be wrong with the Spacedustpatch of Blueshift. Sorry, but for any inconvinience but i seem to find all those little hidden bugs :sticktongue:

@Angel-125 Is it possible, that you might have a look at the Spacedust-Compatibility patch? 

apart from that, thank you sooo nuch for this mod and all your efforts to make it even better. I love your great work!

33 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

This is supposed to happen. In interstellar space your speed goes way up to cut the time it takes to travel between stars. You can adjust this in the settings.cfg file. This happens because warping during timewarp is very bad.

So I've noticed. Thanks Angel :)

2 hours ago, Rakete said:

@Angel-125 Is it possible, that you might have a look at the Spacedust-Compatibility patch? 

apart from that, thank you sooo nuch for this mod and all your efforts to make it even better. I love your great work!

Unfortunately I think I'd need an expert on Space Dust in order to make the patch workable. For now the best thing to do is simply delete it.

@Rakete The infinite units/sec happens because Graviolium is defined as a massless resource. I have a compatibility mod (mainly for galaxies unbound but it will work without) Space Dust Unbound that gives it just a TINY amount of mass (pretty sure less than antimatter's definition) to avoid that bug, adds Graviolium visibility to the tracking station, and gives the FFT gamma spectrometer the ability to discover it (or the negative gravioli detector if you don't have FFT).

You can go into the mod itself and just copy what I did for graviolium to put it wherever you want.

Wow... Thank you @Vexxel and @Grimmas. Mhm... I think, I will try some of the configs and try to fix it for me.

Maybe these fixes (the mass issue config, the spacedust config to make graviolium visible and the adding to make it scanable with one of the FFT scanners) are relevant for @Angel-125 to adapt in Blueshift as well for all the users? Might help all FFT users.

Another thought @Angel-125: Is the abundance of Graviolium variable between different asteroids? Today I started to gather graviolium by hauling a very big asteroid to kerbin and extracting it's graviolium. But it was soon depleted and I ended up with only 15 units of gravi. I mean, to fill a big graviolium tank I would have to repeat ressource extractions 100 times. Have I overlooked something? 

This evening it came to my mind to make graviolium synthesizeable e.g. out of... lets say antimatter - a material, that is already endgame content (and different to handle due to its kaboom potential in FFT when not contained properly) for the FFT users and would drag its ressource transformation chain even further. Somehow I like the idea. It would make the Warp phase of your playthrough less grindy. Maybe chained to a certain techtree unlock for late game. Is that an idea, that might meet your vision of blueshift?

Edited by Rakete

13 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Wow... Thank you @Vexxel and @Grimmas. Mhm... I think, I will try some of the configs and try to fix it for me.

Maybe these fixes (the mass issue config, the spacedust config to make graviolium visible and the adding to make it scanable with one of the FFT scanners) are relevant for @Angel-125 to adapt in Blueshift as well for all the users? Might help all FFT users.

Indeed, and so I already added a PR on Blueshift's Github for these changes, including Vexxel's mass fix. Also made the UI blue and fixed the labels. Didn't add any non-FFT detector though as I don't ever play without FFT lol. 

Edited by Grimmas

I really love how the KSP community works together. One finds a bug, one creates a fix and the next one integrates it in the mod. This is great cooperation. The real life could need more of this cooperstion intensity.

5 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Indeed, and so I already added a PR on Blueshift's Github for these changes, including Vexxel's mass fix. Also made the UI blue and fixed the labels. Didn't add any non-FTT detector though as I don't ever play without FTT lol. 

Tested and works?

Edited by Rakete

I was expecting you to test it :)

But I did test it myself and it works for me (in my 150+ mods game). I had to dive into Jool atmo to identify Graviolium though, which I guess is fair, but not sure you can realistically dive to 500km at Sun/Grannus :) so the balance could use a bit of work (ie I'd both move the belts at the stars further out and increase detector range). 

3 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

I was expecting you to test it :)

Maybe tomorrow. Right now it's after midnight here in central europe and i have to work tomorrow and have to be efficient... Sooo maybe tomorrow evening or... thursday. RL demands, unfortunately.

@Grimmas Tested your changes in your pull request:

What works:

- Harvesting of Graviolium out of Band (not instantaneous anymore, though the Abundances need to be adjusted. Increased it by factor 10 an still nothing happens during a fair amount of time. But KSP shows a delta value of 0.00, so it works technically but would take ages to fill even 1 unit of gravi. Should be adjusted according to how @Angel-125 wants to have his mod to be played - but remember: The Exo-Harvester is already late game content, so don't make it too hard.). I think a increase in the abundancy values by factor 500...2000 would make sense as it would create aroundabout 1 unit of gravi per day, filling one big tank in about 3 Kerbal years, given that the ressource density stays at 0.001 as you wrote in the pull request. Still slow, but....

- Graviolium detection via FFT-Sensor

What does not work:

- Graviolium is displayed in the Spacedust ressources list, but the location is not visualized using the Spacedust particle display around the planet.

You may test it yourself with this ugly testrig:

https://www.filemail.com/d/xerrzishjttvrcv

Needs NF Electrical and Heat control Mod for easy energy supply at Jool. (Test took place at 335km orbit using cheat to take it there)

Edited by Rakete

4 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Random question

B9 says this isn't compatible with this. Something about the Graviolium.

I'll try to get more detailed stuff later.

I also use B9 Part switch e.g. in the FFT/NF Mods... I don't get warnings. So it must be one of your other mods using B9 in an incompatible way.

Edited by Rakete

43 minutes ago, Rakete said:

What does not work:

- Graviolium is displayed in the Spacedust ressources list, but the location is not visualized using the Spacedust particle display around the planet.

I noticed this as well, I originally thought this is because of how the distribution is but there may be another issue with that.