KSP2 Social Posts

Ghostii_Space

55 minutes ago, xXIndestructibleEVAXx said:

I agree with everything you said, except that the explosion video you linked just looks silly, why is it totally overexposed and blinking like a strobe light lol

Overexposed, I can't say (that may be subjective or a visual mod), but the strobe explosions are from a specific weapon used in the video. You can watch this other video for a more general overview of Just Cause 3 explosions.

I saw that contrails appeared after a certain point in the video. This is cool but, vapor cones, anyone? 

Spoiler

FA-18_going_transonic.JPG

Spoiler

Ares1-X(28OCT2009).jpg

Even in the Kerbal Space Program 2 trailer, thanks to VI3d for the screenshot:

Spoiler

v1q7WHb_d.webp?maxwidth=1200&shape=thumb

This is legitimately in the trailer of the game. You can find it at 1 minute and 6 seconds. Maybe the devs are hiding Sonic fx too? Great job on the video devs, the rocket looks great. Reminds me of Magpie’s visual mod.

Edited by CytauriKerbal

Just would like to point out the small detail of the cockpit and nosecone paintjob. Nice touch that we'll be able to do that and have craft that at least look like they have heat shielding. Or perhaps there will be an option to have that paint act as a real heat shield in exchange for some extra weight or something.

Edited by Yellowburn10

56 minutes ago, Yellowburn10 said:

Just would like to point out the small detail of the cockpit and nosecone paintjob. Nice touch that we'll be able to do that and have craft that at least look like they have heat shielding. Or perhaps there will be an option to have that paint act as a real heat shield in exchange for some extra weight or something.

That black stuff is not just paint, 90% sure that's thermal protection cladding.

Just now, GoldForest said:

Why? It's been confirmed by the devs.

WHat will happen with a kilometer-wide craft? Even if it's not supposed to happen, someone will make one some day.

Spoiler

" BREAKING NEWS: Launch tower found floating over the ocean "

6 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

WHat will happen with a kilometer-wide craft? Even if it's not supposed to happen, someone will make one some day.

Hide contents

Ah, I think Nate mentioned something about that. IIRC, the tower just disappears if the craft is too big. So, I guess that would need testing. 

7 hours ago, CytauriKerbal said:

I saw that contrails appeared after a certain point in the video. This is cool but, vapor cones, anyone? 

Reveal hidden contents

FA-18_going_transonic.JPG

Reveal hidden contents

Ares1-X(28OCT2009).jpg

Even in the Kerbal Space Program 2 trailer, thanks to VI3d for the screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

v1q7WHb_d.webp?maxwidth=1200&shape=thumb

This is legitimately in the trailer of the game. You can find it at 1 minute and 6 seconds. Maybe the devs are hiding Sonic fx too? Great job on the video devs, the rocket looks great. Reminds me of Magpie’s visual mod.

The only reason that comes to mind for them to still not show certain FX and features/elements would be for them to properly showcase them on a Gameplay Trailer.

There is no other reason, apart from them not being ready, which I don't think is the cause.

7 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

The only reason that comes to mind for them to still not show certain FX and features/elements would be for them to properly showcase them on a Gameplay Trailer.

There is no other reason, apart from them not being ready, which I don't think is the cause.

Not entirely true. This community has an awful habit of getting really antsy over the slightest perceived imperfections and leading to a lot of mod cleanups and "stop shouting at each other" kind of mod messages following it. We can be a pretty ungrateful, demanding bunch. That's not really an attitude or environment you want to encourage. Yea, its definitely the case of a vocal minority, but its also the public image of the community regardless of the minority status - If every little bit is nothing but complaints and comparisons, the public perception can start to tilt negative.

We spent months being salty over clouds, in a game about going to space. We spent weeks working ourselves in a tizzy about ground scatter and textures cuz we were seeing things on settings other than 'ultra'. I would not want to see the community reaction for vapor cones. If they're anything short of real time liquid condensation simulations, we're gonna end up with another "Concerned about quality of KSP2" spread of threads on 'em.

That's not to say that we should somehow be more grateful or blindly praise either, just that there is a lot of pessimistic and adversarial attitude being taken to the whole thing, and at a certain point, the only way to realistically deal with it is let the results, IE the game, speak for itself. We've seen how radically the different launch conditions and computer settings can affect how stuff looks. Even if they turned around and offered us a live community gameplay stream, people would demand specs, and when its some 4090 rig the team pulled out to ensure it can handle the game on ultra and the streaming overhead, people would panic. We'd see mass freakout that KSP2 requires a supercomputer just to look ok, and look at all of these compression artifacts they're clearly rendering at 144p internally and AI upscaling, its definitely not normal stream compression!

So all that's left to reasonably do is wait until people get the game for themselves. Anything else is likely to just cause more problems. This isn't unique to the KSP2 community by the way, I've seen other projects suffer from similar. Folks just get really involved, really excited, and really concerned about stuff when they're as passionate as we can be.

3 minutes ago, Profugo Barbatus said:

We spent months being salty over clouds, in a game about going to space. We spent weeks working ourselves in a tizzy about ground scatter and textures cuz we were seeing things on settings other than 'ultra'. I would not want to see the community reaction for vapor cones. If they're anything short of real time liquid condensation simulations, we're gonna end up with another "Concerned about quality of KSP2" spread of threads on 'em.

Very well said and to the point. Sometimes it feels like the MSFS forums sround here. The engineer in me appreciates "real time liquid condensation simulations" haha :D

5 minutes ago, Profugo Barbatus said:

So all that's left to reasonably do is wait until people get the game for themselves. Anything else is likely to just cause more problems.

Couldn't agree more, were so close, just have to wait and see!

18 hours ago, Domonian said:

Looks fantastic. We got a higher quality version in the discord. Sounds are incredible, Mk2 nose cone (my beloved) makes another scene. Cannot wait to get my hands on those shiny parts and the paint tool. VERY EXCITED!

It's me imagining things or at the beginning of this you can hear the sound of the flame in the trench too?

11 hours ago, CytauriKerbal said:

This is legitimately in the trailer of the game. 

That video was 0% in-game footage, fya. Some parts assets were transferred to people who made the video, but it was cgi and not game footage. You can't reference the announce video for proof of anything to be in the completed game.

3 hours ago, Profugo Barbatus said:

Not entirely true. This community has an awful habit of getting really antsy over the slightest perceived imperfections and leading to a lot of mod cleanups and "stop shouting at each other" kind of mod messages following it. (...) We spent months being salty over clouds, in a game about going to space. We spent weeks working ourselves in a tizzy about ground scatter and textures cuz we were seeing things on settings other than 'ultra'. I would not want to see the community reaction for vapor cones. If they're anything short of real time liquid condensation simulations, we're gonna end up with another "Concerned about quality of KSP2" spread of threads on 'em.

3 hours ago, Profugo Barbatus said:

That's not to say that we should somehow be more grateful or blindly praise either, just that there is a lot of pessimistic and adversarial attitude being taken to the whole thing, and at a certain point, the only way to realistically deal with it is let the results, IE the game, speak for itself.

I wish I could give you five stars for this. This, above, is the best advice. Just wait & see, and judge for yourself. And look at the pictures as a way to keep the hype up!

5 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

WHat will happen with a kilometer-wide craft? Even if it's not supposed to happen, someone will make one some day

Not possible afaik, Nate has said that there will be a size limit for the VAB. It was also mentioned that the tower will be optional, but nothing confirmed afaik.

6 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

Hide contents

If you can build it in the VAB, it's meant to happen.

3 hours ago, TLTay said:

That video was 0% in-game footage, fya. Some parts assets were transferred to people who made the video, but it was cgi and not game footage. You can't reference the announce video for proof of anything to be in the completed game.

Yes, but still there was sonic effect in the trailer. The animators did not just put that in, someone told them to most likely.

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Not possible afaik, Nate has said that there will be a size limit for the VAB. It was also mentioned that the tower will be optional, but nothing confirmed afaik.

As long as the save file is plain text — and I really hope it is — anything is possible for those who want it badly enough!

29 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

The animators also put Duna on the side because it looked better for the cinematic.

If accuracy is desired (which is not always the case), always, always double-check what your marketeers come up with (don't blame them, they're not paid to be SME's).

soldering-iron-fail-stock-image-bob-byro

Edited by Kerbart

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

The animators also put Duna on the side because it looked better for the cinematic.

From what I heard, that was a mistake.

8 hours ago, Profugo Barbatus said:

Not entirely true. This community has an awful habit of getting really antsy over the slightest perceived imperfections and leading to a lot of mod cleanups and "stop shouting at each other" kind of mod messages following it. We can be a pretty ungrateful, demanding bunch. That's not really an attitude or environment you want to encourage. Yea, its definitely the case of a vocal minority, but its also the public image of the community regardless of the minority status - If every little bit is nothing but complaints and comparisons, the public perception can start to tilt negative.

That's not to say that we should somehow be more grateful or blindly praise either, just that there is a lot of pessimistic and adversarial attitude being taken to the whole thing, and at a certain point, the only way to realistically deal with it is let the results, IE the game, speak for itself. We've seen how radically the different launch conditions and computer settings can affect how stuff looks. Even if they turned around and offered us a live community gameplay stream, people would demand specs, and when its some 4090 rig the team pulled out to ensure it can handle the game on ultra and the streaming overhead, people would panic. We'd see mass freakout that KSP2 requires a supercomputer just to look ok, and look at all of these compression artifacts they're clearly rendering at 144p internally and AI upscaling, its definitely not normal stream compression!

So all that's left to reasonably do is wait until people get the game for themselves. Anything else is likely to just cause more problems. This isn't unique to the KSP2 community by the way, I've seen other projects suffer from similar. Folks just get really involved, really excited, and really concerned about stuff when they're as passionate as we can be.

I get what you mean.