KSP2 Social Posts

Ghostii_Space

1 hour ago, dok_377 said:

Almost half a month until early accsess, can we see the actual game now, please? 

Why would they do that? What's the point of a big reveal if there's nothing to reveal? The point of sneak peeks is to keep the audience hyped up and curious about what's coming, not to ruin the Early Access launch.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

the game is out in couple of days and you are going to see it ANYWAY, IN ITS ACTUAL FORM ON DAY ONE, whether you buy it or not, there will be thousands of pictures within hours after release

Well, everyone likes to speculate and wonder, but yeah, some are reading waaaay too much into the published pictures.

12 minutes ago, CytauriKerbal said:

I hope these will be volumetric and not a png…

'The goal is for each explosion to be its own special snowflake based on how, where, and why the vehicle failed — or, for some of us, how the vehicle succeeded'

See below 

Hi, I’m Aaron Lundquist, the Senior Visual Effects Artist on Kerbal Space Program 2.  As an artist, I look at color, composition, and silhouette, but the little green scientist inside me wants to know the how and why.  With that in mind, let’s jump on in!

On KSP2, a major goal is to expand on diversifying the visual effects to reflect a more scientifically accurate depiction of what space exploration actually looks like.

An example of this is showing the visual differences between an engine’s exhaust in an atmosphere vs the vacuum of space.  Changes in atmospheric pressure directly affect how exhaust plumes look.  Higher pressure compresses the exhaust causing a long and narrow silhouette.  In a vacuum, the exhaust is wider, expanding outward as soon as it exits the bell nozzle.

In addition to pressure, an atmosphere’s chemical composition can affect the look of engine exhaust.  An atmosphere with a lot of water moisture will cause more vapor in the exhaust plume.  This is a result of the high temperature of the exhaust vaporizing the moisture in the air, causing visible cloud-like trails.

Another goal is to craft visual effects that reflect the unique fuel used by each engine.  KSP2 features a variety of fuel types, some with pretty extreme qualities.  To achieve this, we’ve reached out to subject matter experts to help determine how various fuels burn.  “Does this fuel need an oxidizer?,” ”How quickly does it burn?”, “What  temperature is it?,” “What color is it?,” and “Does it create soot?” were just a few of the questions we asked to help shape the effects.

Based on expert answers, we developed color pallets for multiple situations:

For explosions, we consider how it was triggered.  This involves investigating various real world vehicle incidents.  By looking at different types of wreckage, we can piece together key information.  That sets an example for how and when to trigger visual events in-game.

Using game logic, we can query specific conditions during destruction events.  Examples include if a vehicle has fuel, what kind of fuel, whether it hit something, what type of thing it hit, is it in a vacuum, and so forth.  We track quite a few variables in order to make sure that a pressurized vehicle with non-combustible contents reacts differently from a non-pressurized vehicle with combustible contents.

Once we have the relevant game info, our system then looks for all vehicle parts in proximity to each other.  If two or more parts with similar attributes explode at the same time, the system will combine these into one large explosion, as opposed to multiple smaller explosions.

The goal is for each explosion to be its own special snowflake based on how, where, and why the vehicle failed — or, for some of us, how the vehicle succeeded.

I hope you enjoyed a taste of our process.  For me, learning about these details is fascinating and enriching.  It allows me to improve my craft and keep growing as a professional.

We can’t wait to learn even more when the vast knowledge of the KSP community chimes in.

Until the next blog…

Cheers!

Aaron

View the full article

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/200605-developer-insights-2-–-visual-effects/&do=findComment&comment=3931398

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

'The goal is for each explosion to be its own special snowflake based on how, where, and why the vehicle failed — or, for some of us, how the vehicle succeeded'

See below 

Hi, I’m Aaron Lundquist, the Senior Visual Effects Artist on Kerbal Space Program 2.  As an artist, I look at color, composition, and silhouette, but the little green scientist inside me wants to know the how and why.  With that in mind, let’s jump on in!

On KSP2, a major goal is to expand on diversifying the visual effects to reflect a more scientifically accurate depiction of what space exploration actually looks like.

An example of this is showing the visual differences between an engine’s exhaust in an atmosphere vs the vacuum of space.  Changes in atmospheric pressure directly affect how exhaust plumes look.  Higher pressure compresses the exhaust causing a long and narrow silhouette.  In a vacuum, the exhaust is wider, expanding outward as soon as it exits the bell nozzle.

In addition to pressure, an atmosphere’s chemical composition can affect the look of engine exhaust.  An atmosphere with a lot of water moisture will cause more vapor in the exhaust plume.  This is a result of the high temperature of the exhaust vaporizing the moisture in the air, causing visible cloud-like trails.

Another goal is to craft visual effects that reflect the unique fuel used by each engine.  KSP2 features a variety of fuel types, some with pretty extreme qualities.  To achieve this, we’ve reached out to subject matter experts to help determine how various fuels burn.  “Does this fuel need an oxidizer?,” ”How quickly does it burn?”, “What  temperature is it?,” “What color is it?,” and “Does it create soot?” were just a few of the questions we asked to help shape the effects.

Based on expert answers, we developed color pallets for multiple situations:

For explosions, we consider how it was triggered.  This involves investigating various real world vehicle incidents.  By looking at different types of wreckage, we can piece together key information.  That sets an example for how and when to trigger visual events in-game.

Using game logic, we can query specific conditions during destruction events.  Examples include if a vehicle has fuel, what kind of fuel, whether it hit something, what type of thing it hit, is it in a vacuum, and so forth.  We track quite a few variables in order to make sure that a pressurized vehicle with non-combustible contents reacts differently from a non-pressurized vehicle with combustible contents.

Once we have the relevant game info, our system then looks for all vehicle parts in proximity to each other.  If two or more parts with similar attributes explode at the same time, the system will combine these into one large explosion, as opposed to multiple smaller explosions.

The goal is for each explosion to be its own special snowflake based on how, where, and why the vehicle failed — or, for some of us, how the vehicle succeeded.

I hope you enjoyed a taste of our process.  For me, learning about these details is fascinating and enriching.  It allows me to improve my craft and keep growing as a professional.

We can’t wait to learn even more when the vast knowledge of the KSP community chimes in.

Until the next blog…

Cheers!

Aaron

View the full article

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/200605-developer-insights-2-–-visual-effects/&do=findComment&comment=3931398

Thanks, but will it be 3d or volumetric?

19 hours ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

This looks volumetric. 

kerbonoooooo.png

The straight line where the explosion meets the ground says otherwise.

Either way, I couldn't care less. I just don't want explosions to be stupidly anticlimatic animations that play for 0.5 seconds whenever an individual part explodes. I want them to last for as long as an explosion should last and for them to properly mingle, and it looks like that's what's happening here.

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I want them to last for as long as an explosion should last

Yep. Most certainly :)

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

The straight line where the explosion meets the ground says otherwise

Isn't the ground flat? You might be right, but from this angle, I find it hard to tell the difference.

15 minutes ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

You might be right, but from this angle, I find it hard to tell the difference.

Would a volumetric explosion not produce a much smoother transition, and take up space in front and behind itself? Like a 3D object?

16 minutes ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

Isn't the ground flat?

Yes, that's precisely why it's a straight line.

7 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

Two weeks to Launch day seems like a good time though. Nice round number, gives people some opportunities for upgrades as needed...

It's still T-15 in Seattle. But Friday Funday is upon us, so maybe maybe..

29 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

It is. I still don't think a volumetric cloud would make a perfectly straight line on the ground.

At first I thought it was a pretty stark line on the explosion effect, but it looks like it's the sharp edge of the "pit" and the explosion hadn't made its way out if it yet.

1 minute ago, Fluke said:

At first I thought it was a pretty stark line on the explosion effect, but it looks like it's the sharp edge of the "pit" and the explosion hadn't made its way out if it yet.

I'm having trouble seeing how anything other than a flat image could produce the straight line seen here.

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'm having trouble seeing how anything other than a flat image could produce the straight line seen here.

I can see that, but take a look at the left hand side by the water tower where the explosion isn't straight. The angle of that almost matches the angle of the pit. Like it is volumetric and is giving the explosion direction and velocity change. 

Just now, Fluke said:

I can see that, but take a look at the left hand side by the water tower where the explosion isn't straight. The angle of that almost matches the angle of the pit. Like it is volumetric and is giving the explosion direction and velocity change. 

That still looks way too straight and sharp to be volumetric.