What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

8 hours ago, Madishmike said:

Thought I would see how the Titanic would cope with reentry. Not so great lol.

It did still float though so that's a bonus. Video at 20x speed :)

Those small wings are disappointingly heat-sensitive. I shouldn't have to have SSTOs use big wings all the time just for the thermal benefits.

On 1/25/2024 at 12:12 PM, Aevitas said:

I cried internally.

Context: Laythe ascent vehicle won't stop spinning out of control, and when I gave up on that I tried to design something so I could survive re-entry. It of course, continually flipped over. I think I need to make a fat pancake. A super fat pancake. I've done 4 completely different designs, and they all do the same thing. I'm so lost. What's in the video below isn't even the most recent attempt, but it was the most controllable. """controllable"""

Since Laythe has an atmosphere, I think stabilizers would help a great deal. And SAS during the ascent. It's a rocket, but it looks like you are trying to fly it like an airplane.

Dres was the mission. My first true exploration and science collection mission. I arrived in the SOI with a 1 Kerbal vessel with attached lander and set up an orbit.

JlJ8PhQ.png

Then we sailed under the rings waiting for the landing window to complete the secondary mission.

JlJ8LCB.png

JlJ86Tx.png

After landing to complete the mission we hopped around to study different regions.

JlJ8QEP.png

JlJ8bYg.png

JlJ8D3F.png

After a slight mishap where I forgot to add a probe core to the orbiting vessel so had to set up an RV node using the independent thrust, the Kerbal got back into the main vessel for the journey home.

JlJ8mva.png

JlJS9Tv.png

JlJ8pyJ.png

I honestly, truly, cannot believe that worked.

So, I've been throwing my landers at Kapy Rock like darts, trying to get a perfect landing, and I have failed, a hundred times. I always short it, or land too long.

I pulled together a rover and drove all the way there, only to read the fine print on the Mission and see that a 'lander can' is required.

Finally, I decided to come at it from the other direction. See, I'm starting to look at Eve and Laythe, and preparing for Atmo-Flight. I don't have any spaceplane parts, but I'm experimenting with regular jets that I can launch vertically, on top of a booster.

And then I thought... What if I docked a landing can on the back instead?

I'm not famously skilled with aircraft. I've always been better with Rockets. So, of course, my first plane is a ridiculous design to try and drag a one-seat landing can across the planet.

It took me a stupid amount of fiddling to try and balance the thing, but I did it. Once I started flying the 'revised prototype', I started flying it in a very shallow climb, went and made lunch, came back, and it was still going in a straight line.

Now I know what you're thinking. There's no place to land at Kapy Rock. And you're right. So I put eight drogue chutes on the thing. When I got close, I flew as slow as I could directly over the Rock, then I pulled up hard, stalled it deliberately, and popped all the chutes.

It was a rough landing, but on the third try, I managed to keep my landing gear intact... And then I inched her forward until I had officially reached Kapy Rock, with a 'MK1 Landing Can' attached to her tail.

MZlYQf7.jpeg

I've finished the first 'Kerbwide Tour' Mission, and it turns out the second needs a Lander Can too. So at least I've got a working craft that can do the job.

Good work on Kapy Rock. There are other missions that can be cheesed too. You'll find them...

For me, I visited Pol. With a slightly revised vessel and lander. We did have an issue in LKO when after decoupling the nose cone assembly it hit one of the solar panels as it went past and broke it off but it didn't affect the overall mission. So my kerbal flew out to Pol. Set up a low orbit and then landed on the surface again. Pol has what seems like 0 gravity so the lander had a good few hops in it. He scienced all of the regions, and he even put the lander in a polar orbit to try and find the two discoverables. No luck on that front I'm afraid. However, that aside, we came back with a completed mission (3000 science) and almost 10000 science from the surface. I have further tweaked the lauch vessel with increased capacity to collect stranded kerbals, added the orbital report module from the Tier 4 tech tree, I have added a satellite that I can put up and with the Orbital Survey mod I can be discovering the regions whilst the land gets to them. I think I will be going back to Jool to look at Val and hopefully collect some stranded kerbals too.

JlndNPn.png

JlndXtI.png

JlndkcG.png

JlndS94.png

JlndUAl.png

Today, I finally managed to finish my vacation to Laythe.
I started the mission earlier, to send Val and Tim to the beach in a space plane, but given the extreme reentry heating, I wasn't able to actually survive Laythe entry.
Until now :) The last patch really made it easy. I basically built a space plane and a transfer stage, sent it into orbit separately, docked them together and went off to Laythe.
I used gravity assists at Tylo to capture me, and lower my orbit to laythe, and then again to eject me from the Jool system, back to kerbin.

UQPYrAO.jpegrsprLSM.jpeggttg5XF.jpeg0XJ0yIv.jpegvRKx82i.jpeg

16 hours ago, Oak7603 said:

Pol has what seems like 0 gravity.

Love that second pic, BTW.

Haven't been there yet in KSP2, but Today I went to Gilly. According to my Delta-V Map, Pol needs 130 DV to launch, and Gilly only needs 30. As a result, timing your landings to say... land in a large impact Crater, ala Mission Control's requests, is surprisingly difficult to time.

I did, however, get a nice shot of Eve-Rise by... well, jumping.

60WAJyA.jpeg

I might trim the sides off that and add it to my favs.

Edited by stephensmat

This month at I.C.A.R.U.S TM we have seen a number of milestones come and go, including the addition of the Near Kerbin Relay Module to Euripides II-A, an early iteration of the planned science & refuelling station in Low Kerbin Orbit:

8ZbrO0U.jpg

The Decimus-2D-1A mission debrief is also underway, data indicating a nominal launch:

LPnZUKc.jpg

All systems performed well & the crew were able to perform the capture burns more efficiently that anticipated:

APQiOVT.jpg

The source of the anomalous reading was discovered and has created an uneasy feeling among the science team back at Kouston (MINMUS SPOILER WARNING):

Spoiler

myNAoJH.jpg

Whilst the disquiet among the science team following this discovery is concerning, our Kerbal Welfare Team has shown more concern for the crew who have been behaving erratically since coming into contact with the source, fueling fears that the mysterious signal may somehow be interfering with the crew directly (MINMUS SPOILER WARNING):

Spoiler

x7hmEL1.jpg

Investigations are ongoing and reports will be filed as information comes to light...

For Jupiter Exploration it was a more sedentary test of the newly adapted launch vessel - Discovery 1. Complete with the aforementioned cabins, orbital science, and probe satellite for orbital surveys, launch and LKO was succesful. The two Kerbal crew then set up a Minmus insertion, giving them a high polar orbit for the release of the satellite. This was succesful and region scanning has commenced. They then took Discoveryl to a low equatorial orbit to start the orbital surveys and also released the lander for planetary exploration. The lander succesful visited all regions but it wasn't uneventful. Trying to land in a crater led to the loss of a solar panel and a lander leg, but the professional Kerbonaut managed to complete all missions and collected all science from all regions. He then set up a rendezvous with the launch vessel, and then the short trip back to Kerbin. 3000 science collected which completed the tech tree.

Jle3uxp.png

Jle3SzQ.png

Duna lander testing. 
BWxtfo2.png
Jeb sneaked onto the rover seat. 
Else only reminding issue is that lander is unstable if landing on slopes.  Might rebuild it more like my mun landers but with heat protection. 

This week, I finally completed the mission to the mohole...

For this mission I decided to go with 4 kerbals, two will land on Moho and two will stay in the ship for orbital observation.

The result was a large ship with asymmetrical shape, too large for fairing it was a little bit difficult to put it on orbit.

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5443&authkeDE

Departure from Kerbin !

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5442&authke

Arrival at Moho, hopefully the 0.2.1 patch allowed the use of the laboratory.

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5441&authke

I used the cargo bay to transport a double lander, the large one will land close to the mohole and the small one will perform the actual mohole exploration.

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5444&authke

The final step of the mission : Jeb on his way to the mohole.

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5445&authke

That was an interesting mission =) Next step will a Jool 5 mission !

I've been away for a month, then finally decided to spend some time in "For Science" since 0.2.1 came out. I reached tier 2 relatively quickly, but had to fight missing orbit lines to finish a mission to land on and return from Mun. I suddenly wasn't excited for another trip to Mun.

So I went to Mission Control to collect Science! for "Mun or Bust". The following mission asked me to "land on the Mun for the first time" and I rolled my eyes. I get that it's the first mission to ask me to do it, but 2 things bug me here... 1. Why don't I get kudos from mission control when I, myself, took the initiative? As a player I feel like that initiative is devalued and suddenly I'd rather stick to Sandbox. All you gotta do is auto complete that mission and we're all square. 2. I suddenly feel like an "Employee" who's expected to play a particular way.... but I'm the one that started the space agency, so why aren't you taking my lead? I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I feel like mission control ought to follow me just as well as it asks to be followed.

That's just how I feel. I think the writing is great and all, but between returning from Mun without orbit lines (I have footage if anyone wants to see that... I think:confused:) and not getting my Science/advancement for landing from mission control, who was supposedly with me the whole way (I mean c'mon... I got Science for an ground sample, but didn't get recognition for landing- anyone else run into this?) I lost interest in the pacing and the bugs seemed amplified since they took up a larger share of my playtime outside of clicking through mission briefs.

Assuming I play at the pace I'm expected and don't try to overachieve maybe I'll be more satisfied... right? (This statement is what I wonder to myself, and I hate it).

So I go to Sandbox. I made a tiny Island plane. "OneOscar" biplanes suffer from 2 major issues now. 1. Wings seem to be made of paper, so landings need to be more spot on- not really a problem for ace pilots. 2. Landing gear produce phantom forces, so precision landing is nigh impossible. On the plus side, they are very fast now.

Unfortunately I'm still getting crumpled wings too. A reload usually rights this wrong, but I'm tired of seeing it from 0.1.0. I've made it a rule that if a plane loads in this condition, I'm required to try a stunt. Here is that run...

FLY SAFE!

Mission to expand the orbital station suffered calamity today, resulting in a crash landing in the desert region of Kerbin. A major miss calculation of max payload capacity caused a projected orbital flight to rapidly become suborbital!!!! Ooops!! Final result; complete loss of payload to the orbiting station, and complete write off of vehicle.. Good thing the concept of money doesn't exist yet in KSP 2.. :)      

Below is a the latest iteration of a large SSTO docked with an orbital station and the crash site of a heavy lift  XL SSTO that failed to reach orbit. 

q5vR8Ce.jpg

jsqNU3G.jpg

Edited by Antnee

I completed wave runner on eeloo.  I have to say though trying to drive the rover on eeloo is well not fun..  If you miss the landing spot ( 1km away ) its sloped and my rover just rolled and bounced all over the place, had to remove the auto friction which helped a lot...  enough to trigger the mission but oh so bouncy I bounced this far just getting bill back into the cabin..

I used a docking clamp to hold in my rover and landed the part above the hydrogen ball, you can see the heavy landing gear. I then ejected the rover..  The plan to return home was to climb into the wanderer and leave the rover there... except the ejection was  a bit explody and only the rover survived intact..   with all 3 kerbals.. so looks like another rescue mission is in order.

With completion of this mission, just 3 missions left and 100% unlocked all modules in R&D now.

wave-runner.pngcowabunga.png

Whoo! I just did something for the first time!

I've mentioned (several times) that I haven't been really successful with planes, but I got one working, with a landing can balanced on the back, to complete some 'on Kerbin' missions.

Today, I had an idea: How heavy is a MK1 Lander Can? Maybe the same weight as a small fueltank and an engine?

Well, even the small engines were way too heavy, but half a dozen XS thrusters leaves just enough room on a small fuel tank for a stack separator/docking port.

n3ree6L.jpeg

Couldn't get the thing to balance in a proper gravity turn, but by boosting straight up until i was out of the atmosphere, and saving the central Mammoth-II engine for a 'circularizing' burn, I actually got pretty close to what I had left on my regular heavy launches.

Now, I don't have nearly enough Points to unlock a Rapier, or any of the Jumbo Jet parts, but that small fuel tank? Not enough to maneuver, not enough to line up for docking. You know what it can do?

It can push a plane from a stable 200km orbit to a sub-orbital trajectory. You can see the tiny landing booster detaching after being used up.

ffDeWc4.jpeg

Aaand, down we go. I've never tried re-entry in a plane before. Not even in KSP1. I just didn't see the need for it, once I figured out how to refuel in orbit and make regular cash.

My Tier 2 jet engines can't breathe in space, but there's enough magic in the stabilizers to keep her level, all the way through re-entry.

Gl1QIte.jpeg

I was doing 2000 meters per second in this shot, and using the whole plane for drag to slow down, pointing it's nose down straighter in when the temp levels got too high. There were a few moments when I was actually gaining a little altitude from the angle shifts.

But finally, the plasma cooled off, and I turned on my jet engines, and they were at full intake. My one regret is that re-entry brought me to the night side of Kerbin. Harder to get a good shot, but it makes the jet engines easier to see.

OHZMoPM.jpeg

Boom! I have successfully created a plane that can be navigated through Space by a large booster (which I've been using since my Duna missions) and come in for a landing via an atmosphere. Not sure if that means I should go for Laythe next, and unlock a few thousand science points. It'd be a one way trip at the moment, but I've done that before, using the unlocked points for construction of a return craft.

Edited by stephensmat

I attempted, once again, to go to Duna.  To satisfy the Duna monument mission.  After having the dV calculated wrong, and after having the fuel consumption calculated wrong - both by the game - I finally used Lazy Orbit to just put the lander in orbit of Duna.  And during descent, none of the chutes would open.  Staging, manual...nope.  Checked the settings because, you know, Duna has a thinner atmosphere.  Nope, that isn't it.

I cannot play.  This issue with the chutes needs to be fixed.  There is zero reason for this to happen.  Putting this away so I can focus on my orbital station in KSP1.

3 hours ago, Heretic391 said:

Built this big thing below, went to Dres, had the Kerbal walk over 50km to the different biomes and returned. 

Ok good, you’re just killing the Kerbal’s legs now. Not the universe.

12 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I cannot play.  This issue with the chutes needs to be fixed.  There is zero reason for this to happen.  Putting this away so I can focus on my orbital station in KSP1.

If it makes anything better. I have been digging through the game files to find a way to reproduce and (even better yet) fix your (and others) “no parachutes have deployed.”

I have one theory that could potentially fix it but I haven’t had time to test it yet. I will agree this issue is incredibly annoying. It’s caused me to have to scrub multiple of my missions.

Edited by NexusHelium

Found the Mun or burst location. 
gX0fOIJ.png
Wiki has location in decimals for the location while micro engineer uses minutes and seconds. 
Then found the Mun mound but managed to destroy the engine on that lander so first rescue mission. 

And launched my first interplanetary mission, where? Moho as it had an launch window just now, forgot to paint the ship :) 
gMPHjTz.png
Almost an copy of my upcoming Duna ship. Two reusable landers, beefed up over the Ike lander but dropping the heavy Duna lander and carry less methane.  
Something wild with the dV readings, the two long tanks are drop tanks, it listed 7k dV in VAB, plane change cost 1km/s and intercept close to Pe  so it should be more than enough. 
Overbuild the launcher so had 1800 m/s on it in orbit :)  

Just now, Oak7603 said:

Yeah 430+ m/s into the Tylo surface will do it. It took me forever to do that mission.

I sent two separate rescue missions.

My primary mission didn't have enough TWR to safely land so it stayed in orbit.

My first rescue mission used far more fuel than I was expecting to land so stranded him on the surface.

My second rescue mission actually got him back to orbit and then I hand plenty of fuel between the three return crafts that I had now in Tylo orbit to easily get home.