A week in... 10% still playing

JoeSchmuckatelli

29 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Missed it - what, did she have the attitude 'everything is great, tell your friends to buy KSP2!!!'? 

Because the more they keep that crap up, the more they're liquiding off their core fans 

Exactly that.  She literally stated they were proud of the product they put out there.

48 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Like if (so far) two 200+ point patch notes weren't reflecting just that.

I'm glad that that's apparently sufficient communication for you.  But for me (and apparently others) it just isn't.  Yeah knowing what was fixed is really good, but I would at least like to know what things are prioritized for the next patch, and more comprehensive known-issues.  Look at how long it took to even publicly acknowledge the existence of the orbit decay bug, a game-breaking core-system bug that's been in since launch at the very least.  Things like that do not inspire confidence in me, personally.

And know, I don't know what kind of things they can add to alleviate this, because I'm not a public communications expert.  But, like some comedian once said about a helicopter upside down in a tree, you don't have to be an expert to point out maybe things could be a bit better.  And frankly I don't know what they could say at this point to give me more confidence in this game to begin with.

I know for myself at least them saying "hey these specific things are broken, we're working on it but it might take a while to fix" or "hey this patch messed with something with joints and wing connections are weaker now, be careful" I'd be a lot more forgiving.  But when I see my vessels falling out of orbit within minutes, when I see pre-patch 1 planes that were flying great suddenly just explode, and I see no acknowledgement that things were changed or that they're working on it, that really doesn't inspire confidence in me that they're actually working to fix these issues.

34 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Missed it - what, did she have the attitude 'everything is great, tell your friends to buy KSP2!!!'? 

Because the more they keep that crap up, the more they're liquiding off their core fans 

To give additional context, the question and the (transcribed) answer:

Is the team at IG/PD happy with the current state of the game? (Sunny54Games, Discord

Yes. We got something we're proud of out into the community. We get to have VERY clear conversations with the community, like we're having right now. For a massive sandbox like Kerbal, it can be hard for our team to hit all of the points players want - so having the community to help us along the way has been incredibly helpful. We've learned a lot and we're realigning on features, and we're in it for the long-haul to make sure that each release is fun, meaningful, and cohesive for our players.

I was only digging for the question initially to answer Aziz but now that I read the transcribed answer back it does read as a thought spared for the road still to go, regarding features and performance/stability. So I'm happy with that.

2 minutes ago, Lyneira said:

. We've learned a lot and we're realigning on features, and we're in it for the long-haul to make sure that each release is fun, meaningful, and cohesive for our players

They should be leading with that, and finish with the hopeful and positive. 

Their comm strategy has been dreadful since Feb 24.

Friday, 21.04: Hey, letting you know we're working on an update

Monday, 24.04: hey, letting you know we're still working on an update

Tuesday, 25.04: hey, just letting you know we're still working on an update

Wednesday, 26.04 hey, in case you forgot, we're working on an update.

Thursday, 27.04 hey, today we've changed a bool in 48294724th line of code from true to false. Also a hundred other things.

And so on? 

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

The have to be bloody positive otherwise the motivation to work on the project is gone and that leads to what the doomsayers "predict".

Do you think Hello Games was patting themselves on the back and talking about how proud they were a couple months after No Man's Sky released, or were they thinking "we've got to fix this mess, we can do better"?  False positivity isn't motivational as if you don't think you've done anything wrong then you have nothing to correct.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

So... What's the alternative? Releasing 800+ bugs in two months (working 24/7 and dying from exhaustion), ooor not releasing the game (impossible because most likely someone on a higher position in T2 ordered a release before FY ended)

And there was alternative just not coding so many bugs in the game. Moreover, most of the fixes are insignificant. None of us can give a recipe for treating a disease called "inflammation of KSP2", since the patient-developer says that he feels great and does not say anything else.

4 minutes ago, Rosten said:

Do you think Hello Games was patting themselves on the back and talking about how proud they were a couple months after No Man's Sky released

No clue. They went radio silent for months.

And everybody doom-and-gloomed them as well.

More proof you literally can't satisfy everybody so it's best to just ignore people.

I've heard that for better performance, you need to be positively motivated for good work, and negatively motivated in response to bad work. Is it necessary to positively motivate developers here?

3 minutes ago, Rosten said:

Would they have gone radio silent if they were proud?

Again, I don't know or pretend to.

Would you prefer the KSP team to just shut up for months and not tell you anything?

You can simulate that quite well by stopping reading anything.

Edited by Superfluous J

11 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

And there was alternative just not coding so many bugs in the game

I've coded... I don't know how many forms for user input by now. This is some basic stuff, usually delegated to junior devs. It never, ever worked correctly on the first try. Human brain isn't very good with basic logic.

Hello Games during its radio silence were busy collecting all of the issues and expectations people had, and worked in silence until their first patches started rolling out and slowly, bit by bit, improved stability and delivered on the missing features. Opinions eventually turned around on the game, based entirely on delivering results.

My impression is that KSP2 has a different kind of fanbase, with a larger fraction of people who are familiar with game design and development that can share useful insights. That would be a missed opportunity if they went radio silent.

One difference here is that Hello Games  was more independent in decisions than Intercept may be allowed to be by T2 but that's just a speculation.

The key difference is HG didn't think  it and didn't go all out with announcements of how proud they are with what they delivered and what their favorite cereal is and how they called it a day and went into holiday (of course everyone deserves rest but maybe keep it to yourself after such a launch and with no features added since launch?), as others pointed out they were instead all silent (must admit it's scary to pull this one off like that), and then turned it around eventually by giving a lot of free DLCs after the initially promised roadmap was delivered, which I'm pretty sure we as early adopters, won't get any freebies.

21 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Would you prefer the KSP team to just shut up for months and not tell you anything?

I know I would if it meant it's all hands on deck and they recognize how it looks and decide to turn it around. But if they call this a release they can be proud of, and pat themselves after 2 patches, I'm speechless.

Edited by GGG-GoodGuyGreg

The history of HelloGames is completely unique, how many more games have been able to rise from the ashes? And before that, such examples are somehow not enough. The history of KSP2 is also unique - this is the first game in early access from one of the largest gaming publishers, at almost full price, and in terrible technical condition after three years of delays. So far, there is no evidence that the development team is creating miracles behind closed doors. Therefore, I have little hope that KSP2 will become twice unique.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Exactly that.  She literally stated they were proud of the product they put out there.

And this stockholm syndrome expectation of us kinda stuff is exactly why I'm looking up mods for the first game. I dunno how you can be handed an IP with such a die-hard fan base and manage to lodge splinters up our butts. I would rather have nothing than whatever this joke of a game is. This is like if I dated someone 10 years ago and met them recently, only they are now on meth and constantly tell me how they are so amazing while they have already wet their pants in public right in front of me.

You guys don't get it. You have to face the public when you screw the pooch. you cannot hide when you ask for money...like our hard earned money that you guys are keen to take, but not keen to deliver on.

Edited by Meecrob

21 minutes ago, Lyneira said:

Opinions eventually turned around on the game, based entirely on delivering results

That is my hope for the team.  And us. 

I think they can do it.  I hope they're given the opportunity by the IP owner/publisher. 

Time, will of course, telk

9 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That is my hope for the team.  And us. 

I think they can do it.  I hope they're given the opportunity by the IP owner/publisher. 

Time, will of course, telk

I want to believe. Its tough though.

A "we get we disappointed you, but please be patient, we are trying our best" would maybe help, or are apologies lame for the kids these days?

Edited by Meecrob

32 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

A "we get we disappointed you, but please be patient, we are trying our best" would maybe help, or are apologies lame for the kids these days?

Apparently the developers and T2 see no reason to apologize to the likes of us. A major publisher these days only cares about share price and shareholder opinion. Since February 24, T2 shares have grown by 13%, so everything is fine. Nate happily left for the holidays. It does not seem that our resentment excites anyone other than ourselves.

3 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Apparently the developers and T2 see no reason to apologize to the likes of us. A major publisher these days only cares about share price and shareholder opinion. Since February 24, T2 shares have grown by 13%, so everything is fine. Nate happily left for the holidays. It does not seem that our resentment excites anyone other than ourselves.

Kinda confusing the big picture with the small picture there. Their shares went up, sure, but not because of KSP2, and they know that so well they fired some members of the team after release.

Nate going on vacation when the game is like this and part of his people (or people above him, or the people from marketing as news said) got fired... yeah, not the best look.

I'm finding it's the 'little' things that sap my enthusiasm most.  Like...

Vessel naming not working, the VAB save method being somewhat unintuitive and glitchy, or suddenly deciding I have 0 Dv when it can see and shows I have a full tank.

'Bigger' things like orbits decaying, landed vessels falling through the surface etc. Are equally frustrating, but I can accept they are more complex and  may not be as easy to get right.  Though I do feel they should have got them sorted before release.

55 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

I want to believe. Its tough though.

That needed to have been done Feb 25-28.  An open, frank discussion or explanation combined with the type of comms typical of Open Beta would have done wonders. 

Now? 

I think they're committed to the totally dysfunctional 'Ghostii selling stuff and hyping Colonies', 'PD_Dakota pushing funny builds and pretending this is normal' and 'Nate coming in occasionally to talk about the patch'. 

Shrug.  I'm just a customer. 

Spoiler

Annoyed and warning people away - but hoping they fix it, so I can recommend it to my friends.