Kerbal Space Program 2 (Version 0.3.0 and Version 1.0.0) Hype Train!

AtomicTech

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Beyond the tweet saying "We're still hard at work"...source?

Ima just let NexusHopium be happy for a little bit before I start thinking about the reality of it all :D

Edited by NexusHelium

Ok, to try putting a new spin on this:

Say KSP2 goes to another studio for development.  Doesn't matter which one, so just play along for a second.  What happens to the copies of KSP2 we all already have?  Will the new studio continue coding from where IG left off, and then continue to upload to Steam/Epic/wherever so we get updates through the copies we already own?  Or will the new studio start from scratch?

If the new studio starts from scratch, we aren't going to have to purchase the next version again, are we?

26 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

If the new studio starts from scratch, we aren't going to have to purchase the next version again, are we?

I certainly hope not.

I am very guilty of overreacting but I'm hoping that y'all will heed my advice and let cooler heads prevail. Let's bring the temperature down and consider the possibilities that SZ offers.

Few points

- KSP 2's outlook isn't looking as good as it can be

- KSP 1's on life support, its codebase is too crap for modders' ambitions and there's only so many times you can do Jool 5 before boredom sets in

I wonder where the franchise would go from here if this were the beginning of the end for KSP 2.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

its codebase is too crap for modders' ambitions

Where are you getting this from?

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

and there's only so many times you can do Jool 5 before boredom sets in

Definitely! Though I haven't even gotten to one of those ;p

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

I wonder where the franchise would go from here if this were the beginning of the end for KSP 2.

Not really much of anywhere?

Also

Intercept Games is dead; long live Private Division!

Just now, AtomicTech said:
3 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

its codebase is too crap for modders' ambitions

Where are you getting this from?

Personal experience, mainly, but also that was the point of KSP 2 besides being newer. Figuring out a stable configuration of mods is like trying to play Jenga on an architectural scale and figuring out what you can do in the game before bringing it to its knees is like trying to move through London during rush hour; KSP 2 was meant to fix that and properly support near/far future gameplay loops, but of course. And KSP 1 doesn't look that much more appetizing given its foibles and the fact it's already keeled over.

3 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:
5 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

and there's only so many times you can do Jool 5 before boredom sets in

Definitely! Though I haven't even gotten to one of those ;p

Good luck :)

3 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:
6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Not really much of anywhere?

Figured.

4 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Intercept Games is dead; long live Private Division!

Maybe after these layoffs PD can afford bureaucrats with a slice of empathy for the workers ;)

23 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Yeah man! @NexusHelium thanks for staying calm when a good chunk of us were losing it (myself included) :grin:

25 minutes ago, Icegrx said:

@NexusHelium fist bump on remaining positive my guy!

Aw come on. You guys are gonna make me blush lol :grin:

1 hour ago, AtomicTech said:

I certainly hope not.

Same.  But I wonder if the game, assuming it continues to get developed, gets reworked as a new title.  That is concerning.

I hope if it is stopped they sell off the title or open source it so development will continue.

24 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Same.  But I wonder if the game, assuming it continues to get developed, gets reworked as a new title.  That is concerning.

I sincerely doubt that they'd gut the IP.

Posted (edited)

If memory serves, this kinda chaos with the parent company has happened before. We all thought KSP2 was going to be cancelled then too.

It's a truly despicable process to have people lose their jobs and find out about it from the internet. So far we're hearing from people who *have* been laid off. I'm content to wait and hear from the people who *haven't* been before arranging the funeral.

We live in hope.

But I will say this: I'm hoping there'll be a Dev Update PDQ.

Edited by stephensmat

2 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

I sincerely doubt that they'd gut the IP.

Well, we all hoped that we wouldn't be where we are either.  It just is what it is, and I'm just concerned is all.

Being specifically PD, not IG means that the publisher has now more direct control over the production. While the "dev" team probably stayed the same or similar, there were some changes in management part of the team.

Hopefully that is going to mean something for the benefit of the game.

T2 has a financial report conference in two weeks, let's see what it shows.

5 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Being specifically PD, not IG means that the publisher has now more direct control over the production. While the "dev" team probably stayed the same or similar, there were some changes in management part of the team.

I’m honestly excited if this happens 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

The really sad thing about this is that my desire to play KSP1 at this point has been sapped.  Like, I'm waiting to get over being sad from this to even play the original.

This, a million time, and we definitely are not exception.

KSP2 really heavily damaged the KSP franchise to the point that it manages to reduce the joy to play KSP1. It's such an achievement.

I'm a very long time player of KSP, countless hours, from the 0.18.2 or even slightly before, I founded a whole association about it to organize Real Life events, Orbital Mechanics in school, I've mastered the Stock Game, I wrote so many lines to help out other people, to invite the new players to properly discover the game and its richness, etc etc.

I said back un 2013 that KSP would need a proper pro-dev KSP2 so that it would enjoy new tech, new game engine, a good professionnal and well managed from-scratch development to get the best of it, to allow for more mod flexibility, etc. When it was announced, I was so happy, I let KSP1 down for quite a long time, multiple years, only contributing through my association, something like 500 hours InGame at most during 5-6 years. Because I really needed KSP2 as a fresh start and real hope.

Now, well, I don't want to even play KSP1 knowing that there were such a real potential in KSP2, completely ruined. This is what is affecting me the most after so much time and pleasure involved, so much activities, a real part of my life, I dare to say.

Edited by Dakitess

1 hour ago, Dakitess said:

KSP2 really heavily damaged the KSP franchise to the point that it manages to reduce the joy to play KSP1. It's such an achievement.

That sounds similar to what happened with Cities Skylines 2.

CS1 had tons upon tons of features after eight years of mods and DLCs, but its engine was fundamentally outdated. Eventually, the maps felt too small to put in everything you'd want to have in a city, the road tools were rather wonky, the graphics weren't up to the standards anymore, the performance wasn't that great, etc. So CS2 was announced to great hype and fanfare.

And then CS2 turned out to be a bug-ridden mess, the promised mod support was nowhere to be seen, and players ran out of stuff to do in the game rather too quickly. But thing is ... CS2 did bring some genuine improvements. Huge maps, smooth new road tools, better graphics ... although it wasn't as fun to play, it still had aspects that markedly improved upon CS1. It made CS1 look even more clunky and outdated by comparison. But again, it didn't offer players the experience they had hoped for.

What happened to a lot of players was that they got stuck in a sort of limbo. They weren't too keen on playing CS2, but going back to CS1 didn't feel right anymore either. The result was that a lot of fans simply stopped playing both games.

The latest word from the studio is that the DLC previously announced for Q4 2023, and later pushed to 2024, may now be expected in Q1 2025. Partial mod support is out, but still without custom graphical assets, which are kind of important to a city-building game. Fans seem to have taken the position of fence-sitting, waiting for CS2 to become a better game before they go back to playing it. Or migrating to other city-building games entirely. That probably isn't a happy situation for the studio.

I can imagine something similar being the case for KSP. I personally had a lot of fun with KSP1, but decided to wait to buy KSP2 until it got out of that awkward early access phase. I'd buy it once it got more to offer than KSP1. But in the mean time ... I didn't continue playing KSP1 either. KSP looked a lot better, had a lot of features I'd miss, and I didn't want to get bogged down in another KSP1 playthrough where I lost motivation at some point after reaching Duna. I'd wait for the sequel. Scale that up to enough players, and you get a studio stuck with a game they can't finish, and revenue that won't appear until they finish the game.

Moral of the story, I guess: Don't do early access, and don't overpromise. But try getting that into the heads of the suit-and-tie goblins who call the shots ...

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dakitess said:

Now, well, I don't want to even play KSP1 knowing that there were such a real potential in KSP2, completely ruined. This is what is affecting me the most after so much time and pleasure involved, so much activities, a real part of my life, I dare to say.

I had a life before KSP2, and I will still have a life after it.

I had a life before KSP¹, but I'm afraid I'm going to be found after passing away trying to push yet another release fixing something, or perhaps debugging some other nasty bug I found bitting my cheeks. :sticktongue:

You will survive. We will survive. And, believe me, there are good chances that both of us will play KSP again - perhaps even KSP¹ (a certainty in my case).

I understand your grievance, because I'm also somewhat fed up about this. But not due the Game (any one of them), but by the increasing vitriol, back stabbing and rug pushing that this Community is victim since KSP2 was announced (not saying there weren't any before, just that these ones are the ones that managed to hit me badly).

We lost our ethics. We lost our respect to ourselves. This is what's making me incredibly sad.

However... There's always something good about being sad - it's one of the advanced Stages of healing.

Don't take it too hard, it's just a Stage. You will be fine.

Me too.

Spoiler

KeepWalking.jpg

Edited by Lisias
Entertaining grammars made slightely less entertaining...

It's well said. Of course it's just a game. But it actually shaped some part of my actual life, activities, achievements.

I left my KSP association when my little girl was born, 3 years ago and I guess I want her to be able to play a kind of KSP in a few years or so. KSP2 was for me the sign that at the very least, we would have another decade of enjoyment with an up to date game to play with. I am not sure I would introduce her to a wonky looking KSP1, be it able to operate on Windows12 with quantics graphic cards haha.