Kerbal Space Program 2 (Version 0.3.0 and Version 1.0.0) Hype Train!

AtomicTech

9 hours ago, Datau03 said:

I'm not sure if this might be too complicated for the game, but I'd absolutely love such a system with different science categories unlocking tech from different categories. For example having atmospheric science instruments unlock aerodynamic parts, just like the example you gave

This idea has come up before and I don't really like it. When the game is finished there's going to be a lot of systems to work with, in particular resources. Complicating any of the individual ones risks turning the whole into a chore. It would also be hard to balance so it's at the same time fun and doesn't funnel the player into doing the same things in the same order.

It also messes with my suspension of disbelief because it's not a good abstraction of the relationship between science and engineering. Taking measurements on Mercury doesn't actually help you design better heatshields and doing an atmospheric composition study of Venus doesn't help you design better spaceplanes. It's just a cutesy coupling of aesthetically similar things to make the system more complicated. This isn't like in 4X games where you explicitly invest in, say, physics research to get better engines, or biology research to get better agricultural productivity, there it makes sense. 

I prefer the single science currency – great scientific results gets kerbalkind to invest in engineering that gets more great scientific results! 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bought the game with FS! and am having much fun. I really like the missions and the monuments. I never had big motivation to go to Jool in KSP1. The discoverable Objects really add something to the game for me at least.

I hope there will be some incentive to build a giant transportation vehicle to carry dozens of kerbals to a newly built colony. F.e. in order to accelerate the population growth or resources mining speeds or something like that. I hope we will have a reason to carry a hundred kerbals to Debdeb once interstellar comes around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 7:08 PM, Bamian said:

I hope there will be some incentive to build a giant transportation vehicle to carry dozens of kerbals to a newly built colony. F.e. in order to accelerate the population growth or resources mining speeds or something like that. I hope we will have a reason to carry a hundred kerbals to Debdeb once interstellar comes around.

I think that in the show and tell videos and the feature videos, they told us that there is a reason for hauling such a large amount of kerbals.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:22 AM, Brody.mack said:

Ahhh! I'm so impatient when are we gonna see teasers for 0.3.0! 

I'm hoping we still get a snazzy Feature Video for Colonies. The production quality is so good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 7:14 PM, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Oh yeah, a sneak peek would be pretty cool and fitting for the 24 February. Fingers crossed there will be something interesting to read in all the impatient I have right now.

Well, there's this.

And of course, this...

image.png.2c4e46b6313ea00d3ea9d00bea4286

So, what do we think from this image? Assuming the moving sections aren't 'integral' to the Ring, then it means we get large scale rotating parts. Also large radiators. The left Ring looks like it could be sectional. If the large symmetrical part between the Radiator Array and the rightmost Ring is also moving, then it means we get to decide what form the 'gravity' living sections takes. Do we make two sections that balance each other, or a full Ring?

Also, in the large Truss structure on the right? I don't see any docking ports, so that thing was made in one piece. Maybe built in an Orbital VAB?

Edited by stephensmat

I have many interrogations about colonies :

-Will they be parts in the same technological tree or will there a different one with something different to do ? I imagine it will be in the same tree, but it could be a different game mechanic (just like in civ where there are culture and science trees).

-Will there be a different VAB ? The space colony on the last picture can be built like any ship, but what about surface colonies ? How do we work with the topography ?

-How do we build these things ? I imagine that there will be a central root part to build everything, but will we have to bring materials ? Some parts perhaps ?

-Will it be possible to change colonies in time ?

-Will we have limitations in the construction possibilities of new ships and rockets in colonies ?

-Will it be possible to set space lines for automatic transfer of materials ? Or perhaps this will be in the exploration update with ressource gathering...

I'm really curious about this future update, I really hope it will be more than a new set of parts to have many kerbals in space.

37 minutes ago, Urus28 said:

Will they be parts in the same technological tree or will there a different one with something different to do ? I imagine it will be in the same tree, but it could be a different game mechanic (just like in civ where there are culture and science trees).

Why something different? It's just parts.

As for the rest, head there 

That should cover the answers to all the questions, at least what we've learned so far. Mind you, this is all pre-release info.

Edited by The Aziz

2 hours ago, Urus28 said:

-Will we have limitations in the construction possibilities of new ships and rockets in colonies ?

My personal guess:

Until we get resources fully implemented, we’ll probably get something like “specialized parts” that we have to bring to the colony in order to expand it or build ships from it.
This adds a simple gameplay limit that works just like currency outside of Kerbin and can be expanded upon once the resources update arrives.

16 hours ago, Urus28 said:

-Will there be a different VAB ? The space colony on the last picture can be built like any ship, but what about surface colonies ? How do we work with the topography ?

-How do we build these things ? I imagine that there will be a central root part to build everything, but will we have to bring materials ? Some parts perhaps ?

-Will it be possible to change colonies in time ?

There will be an extra colony editor, called the BAE (Build Assembly Editor), similar to the VAB but for building colonies on site, so you'll also be able to change them over time.