A Taste of Science

Nate Simpson

8 minutes ago, regex said:

Okay, and? Why should I care? Go play KSP1, have fun with it.

Let me be clear: I'm not trying to call you out specifically. Your post just made my mind think my question. Thats why I didn't quote you. My point is more that its odd to me that there are lots of people who in 2018 would say KSP1 is their favourite game of all time, but now they are like "pfft, KSP1 was some cobbled together pile of crap." There is a reason we are all here on this board and it wasn't because KSP1 was some disaster of a game.

It makes me sad that for such a niche game, people are actively destroying the legacy the game has. If the game was so bad, why would Take Two purchase the IP? If the game was so bad, why aren't people saying "oh hey, play simple rockets/JUNO" but instead they say play KSP1.

Edited by Meecrob

1 minute ago, Meecrob said:

There is a reason we are all here on this board and it wasn't because KSP1 was some disaster of a game.

If KSP 1 wasn't a disaster, there would not be any need for a KSP 2.

1 minute ago, Meecrob said:

My point is more that its odd to me that there are lots of people who in 2018 would say KSP1 is their favourite game of all time, but now they are like "pfft, KSP1 was some cobbled together pile of crap."

KSP 1 had no competition and there were no games like it. If you only have one object in a set, you can't really say it's the worst in its own set until a better thing joins it.

6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

It's an inconsequential feature and the amount of people who regularly enjoy it as more than a novelty is greatly overstated.

Approximately as well as multiplayer with interstellar flights. Many have said that they are not going to pursue a career in multiplayer. And interstellar flights are not much different from flights to Jool. As far as I remember, most players do not fly further than Dune.

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

If KSP 1 wasn't a disaster, there would not be any need for a KSP 2

Are you talking about that game that has sold 5 million copies and has a great steam rating?

1 minute ago, Alexoff said:

Approximately as well as multiplayer with interstellar flights. Many have said that they are not going to pursue a career in multiplayer. And interstellar flights are not much different from flights to Jool. As far as I remember, most players do not fly further than Dune.

Statistically, most players don't leave the Kerbin-Mun-Minmus system. This was evaluated some years ago.

3 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

If KSP 1 wasn't a disaster, there would not be any need for a KSP 2.

Comedy award right here.

1 minute ago, Alexoff said:

Did anyone promise steam achievements? It would be interesting to see what proportion of players reach which planet. Or is it also an unnecessary feature that no one needs?

I don't know if that's a necessary feature, but it would be nifty to see what percaentage of players actually go to other planets.

15 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Thats why I didn't quote you.

Well, maybe next time don't actually quote me.

My point is more that its odd to me that there are lots of people who in 2018 would say KSP1 is their favourite game of all time

I have never said this.

but now they are like "pfft, KSP1 was some cobbled together pile of crap."

I have always criticized Squad for their lack of planning and direction in terms of gameplay. I have always been critical of their lack of a roadmap.

There is a reason we are all here on this board and it wasn't because KSP1 was some disaster of a game.

I have never said KSP1 was a "disaster".

@regexIf I did quote you, I feel stupid. I meant to not quote you, so I apologize that i did. It was my mistake.

The rest of what I said was NOT aimed at you. You don't need to itemize what I said and attack my points. I mean its a free country, so do what you want, but I'm not trying to specifically attack you. I was saying in general that there are some themes that keep being presented and I was questioning those themes, not you.

Edit to ruin my non-existant credibility: Its funny seeing who comes out of the woodwork to to tell me I'm wrong when I wasn't trying to talk to them in the first place. Many people have taken up the point that KSP1 sucks hardcore and we should be glad KSP2 exists. I disagree. I'm happy to discuss this in a format that does not involve personal attacks.

Edit 2: The fact that we are discussing such menial tings means that KSP2 has nothing positive to discuss, or we would be discussing it. I mean that in the best of ways. It feels like being disappointed at your kid at this point...I'm not even mad. I just want the best for this franchise and when I see things that actively erode that, I say things.

Edited by Meecrob

25 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Did anyone promise steam achievements? It would be interesting to see what proportion of players reach which planet. Or is it also an unnecessary feature that no one needs?

Yes but you will need to wait for the full release, here are CMs answer on the discord:

jvqpFYU.png

7Q1A8m2.png

K6VDbxF.png

47 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

@Bej KermanAre you serious? The fact there is a second version of something means the first one was bad?

I feel that you are purposefully missing my point.

For me personally, and I think for quite a few others the cobbled together KSP1, which I enjoyed by the way, was the reason to yearn for a KSP2.

Now I hear quite a lot (due to KSP2) that KSP1 is bug and glitchfree. Which it wasn't and isn't.

With that said, KSP2 had got a long way to go to where it needs to be. We got time, even if people demand it now, they too have time.

10 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

For me personally, and I think for quite a few others the cobbled together KSP1, which I enjoyed by the way, was the reason to yearn for a KSP2.

Now I hear quite a lot (due to KSP2) that KSP1 is bug and glitchfree. Which it wasn't and isn't.

With that said, KSP2 had got a long way to go to where it needs to be. We got time, even if people demand it now, they too have time.

I see what you are getting at, and I'll gladly admit that KSP1 was not some AAA polished experience. What I am getting at is there seems to be this sentiment of you have to be in one camp or the other: KSP1 or KSP2, and I think that is a silly thought. There are obvious differences with the development of both games and to compare them seems to be lacking intellectually. 

Edit: In any case, I have de-railed this thread enough, sorry about that.

Edited by Meecrob

42 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

With that said, KSP2 had got a long way to go to where it needs to be.

Compared to KSP2, KSP1 has almost no bugs. Compared to DSP, there are a lot of bugs. And it seems to take too much time to go through the entire road map, we will most likely see 1.0 after HL3.

3 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Compared to KSP2, KSP1 has almost no bugs. Compared to DSP, there are a lot of bugs. And it seems to take too much time to go through the entire road map, we will most likely see 1.0 after HL3.

Like I said so I dont know why you need to repeat, see below;

3 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

With that said, KSP2 had got a long way to go to where it needs to be.

We've got time.

Edited by LoSBoL

12 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

We've got time.

Who are we? Are you saying that you forgive the developers for all their sins and missed deadlines? Well, it's your business, but you don't have to speak for everyone.

49 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

I see what you are getting at, and I'll gladly admit that KSP1 was not some AAA polished experience. What I am getting at is there seems to be this sentiment of you have to be in one camp or the other: KSP1 or KSP2, and I think that is a silly thought. There are obvious differences with the development of both games and to compare them seems to be lacking intellectually. 

Edit: In any case, I have de-railed this thread enough, sorry about that.

That sentiment is what I'm seeing as well, like KSP1 is Walhalla compared to KSP2.

They are incomparable, one is finished and the second is in Early Access. They will live side by side and won't bite each other  for a long time to come.

Personally I haven't touched KSP for a long time, I am enjoying KSP2, but for who doesn't (yet?), Thank God there is KSP to enjoy.

2 minutes ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

Gentlemen, are you trying to get this thread locked?

Maybe get a separate room thread?

I'd actually prefer that not to happen on official posts. Someone can simply open "Doom and gloom" thread, and vent there.

Edited by cocoscacao

Just now, Alexoff said:

Who are we? Are you saying that you forgive the developers for all their sins and missed deadlines? Well, it's your business, but you don't have to speak for everyone.

We is you and me in this case, and everybody else as well. You've got time for KSP2 to be developed further, even if you personally assess current development as sins and missed deadlines. It's not like you need it to survive, I'm certain I can speak for you on that matter.

7 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

That sentiment is what I'm seeing as well, like KSP1 is Walhalla compared to KSP2.

They are incomparable, one is finished and the second is in Early Access. They will live side by side and won't bite each other  for a long time to come.

Personally I haven't touched KSP for a long time, I am enjoying KSP2, but for who doesn't (yet?), Thank God there is KSP to enjoy.

It boggles my mind...like nobody said GTA: San Andreas was a pile of crap when they released a new GTA....I know, I know..IV is divided, but nobody would dare say San Andreas sucks because GTA V exists.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

You've got time for KSP2 to be developed further

I strongly doubt that in 5 years I will have the time and desire to play KSP2.

It's not like you need it to survive, I'm certain I can speak for you on that matter.

Of course, otherwise the conversation would have been of a completely different nature.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

9 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

I strongly doubt that in 5 years I will have the time and desire to play KSP2.

Erm... how is that relevant exactly :P? Imagine asking some production studio to finish last season of your favourite series one year earlier, because you might not live long enough to see it :D

Edited by cocoscacao

2 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Erm... how is that relevant exactly :P? Imagine asking some production studio to finish last season of your favourite series one year earlier, because you might not live long enough to see it :D

Imagine telling fans that a game announced for 2020 will be ready in 2028 and they're not happy! One year, 10 years - what's the difference? A hundred years, whatever! You were told to wait - so wait! It feels like I'm talking to bureaucrats.

9 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

You were told to wait

You're totally free to walk away, and never think about it. Your life doesn't depend on it. Be happy.

Edit:

Check Mount and Blade Bannerlord development. I totally forgot about that game, and bought it in a finished state, 7 years later.

Edited by cocoscacao