KSP2 EA now on sale for 20% off?!....

DrDrizzyT

To be clear. I believe he is telling the truth here. That in fact does not make me any less upset. 

1 minute ago, Jimbodiah said:

Everything about KSP2 smells like a con. Marketing promising features that won't be added for the next 2-3 years, the game itself being unfit for internal release let alone get an Early Access title. STeam doesn't care either, they rake in the money regardless. Corporate greed is the new KSP2 motto. Vote with your wallets, boycot this company.

Yup. Short of drastic changes I will never buy another Intercept Games game again or any Kebral merchandise.

16 hours ago, moeggz said:

I don’t mean this personally but what the sale says to me is 

“yeah so everyone who returned the game waiting for it to be good gets it for cheaper. Those of you stuck with us are not appreciated and have to pay 20% more.”

A sale eventually is fine, I know at some point people would buy the game for less than I did. But this early in the roadmap it seems like I just got taken advantage of. I was going to return it because of the bugs but didn’t want to hurt the funding of my most anticipated game. 

This.

56 minutes ago, Spicat said:

To add an official answer to this conversation:

0BlPZkV.png

If it was planned from day one... Why was this fact not communicated day 1? Or when people were upset in general about the price? Would have been the best to mention this then, rather than to infer that the only 'price drop' we could expect was the fact that we spent 50 on EA instead of 60 on full release

16 minutes ago, Stoup said:

If it was planned from day one... Why was this fact not communicated day 1? Or when people were upset in general about the price? Would have been the best to mention this then, rather than to infer that the only 'price drop' we could expect was the fact that we spent 50 on EA instead of 60 on full release

But it was mentioned.

IMG_4022.png

Happy landings!

2 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

But it was mentioned.

IMG_4022.png

Happy landings!

Yeah because the community must be expected to read every message in the discord and “unless” is not saying “except for the first planned sale for steam summer sales”

42 minutes ago, Stoup said:

I'm not making the rule but it's like that for every sale, you aren't warned for a sale months before, that wouldn't make sense.

Edited by Spicat

35 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

But it was mentioned.

IMG_4022.png

Happy landings!

It's really hard to understand that this happened when:

1. It is buried in a thousand posts in Discord on that very day and is hard to find; AND
  2. It wasn't mentioned here on the forums, but rather on Discord, and some of us don't use Discord due to #1; AND
  3. Dakota continuously mentions here on the forums that the price in EA is the price in EA and will not change except to go up at 1.0.

So this seems more like an error in total communication to the community, which is even worse when you consider that we have been complaining about transparency in communications for months.  I know, you are a mod and may not know what is going on entirely with TT/PD/IG.  So the fact that it's buried in Discord and may not be easy to find isn't your issue or fault.  But it is the fault of the company and CM's for not making sure it was clearly communicated across platforms.

EDIT

So, this sale is only applicable on Steam?  Those of us who use Epic don't get this benefit?  I literally just checked Epic, and the price there is still $49.99?

Edited by Scarecrow71

5 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

:angry: KSP2 is too expensive!

We put it on sale :lol:

:angry: Why would you do that!?

...    :blink:

This entire thread in a nutshell 

20 hours ago, DrDrizzyT said:

So...Is everyone that bought into EA at full price getting a refund for the difference? or what?.....

Because if not I definitely feel like I'm getting scammed with this. I've been a staunch supporter of the EA process so far and have been playing and providing feedback as much as possible. I've been defending the devs hand over foot up until now.  But I'm not sure I can do that anymore if the game hasn't even released yet and they are having sales. What about the people that have been helping development for the past 4 months?...

Paid full price on the EA.  Don’t care that it’s gone on sale.  Don’t feel scammed.  Why should I?

19 hours ago, Buzz313th said:

I wonder if a lawyer that specializes in class action litigation would listen to the community pro bono?

I'm actually pretty disgusted at the results of this patch, then the sale on Steam and the 40% off all merchandise at the KSP store.  Looks to me like it's quitting time for the publisher. 

Hilariously unlikely, but do let everyone know if you find one.  I’d love to attend the initial Zoom calls.  The expressions on their face would be priceless.

I love this thread.  It’s somehow transcended whinge and ascended to comedy gold.

1 hour ago, regex said:

This thread is pure hilarity, it's like "My First Capitalism". Never seen so many people slapped so hard in so short a time hahaha

I know, right?  Here, have some popcorn.

2 hours ago, Spicat said:

I'm not making the rule but it's like that for every sale, you aren't warned for a sale months before, that wouldn't make sense.

Of course not, I'm not expecting them to have every detail for the rest of KSP2's lifecycle nailed down so far in advance. But when you bundle the only stated possibility that that the game might get cheaper as a footnote, in a single discord post, which otherwise explicitly states that the game's price will not change over the entire course of early access... I don't exactly see that being very clear communication. I don't feel scammed personally, but I was very surprised to see the game going on sale. I may very well just have mismanaged expectations, but it's very difficult to set any kind of expectations when there's such dissonance between what we hear and what we get.

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

seems more like an error in total communication to the community

100%, that's my responsibility. I've made it a priority to ensure information parity between Discord and the Forums and this is something that fell through the cracks. I could have done a better job at setting up the expectation that a sale could happen. I apologize for that.

13 minutes ago, Dakota said:

100%, that's my responsibility. I've made it a priority to ensure information parity between Discord and the Forums and this is something that fell through the cracks. I could have done a better job at setting up the expectation that a sale could happen. I apologize for that.

See, that makes sense. Not that it makes sense for you to drop the ball, but that miscommunication can lead to misinterpretation. Because the fact remains that some people are getting into EA at a reduced price, compared to the people who believed in the project since launch. I know it's not your fault in any capacity, but I fear decisions like this will ultimately erode the trust the community has in the devs. And at this point in time, that trust is already pretty thin.  

21 hours ago, moeggz said:

“yeah so everyone who returned the game waiting for it to be good gets it for cheaper. Those of you stuck with us are not appreciated and have to pay 20% more.”

I'm so confused by this. Like, this exact same logic could be used to say that any sale of any product at any time is unfair. And we don't "have to pay 20% more". We've already paid! That was the deal! Like, once you buy a product and don't return it within the window, you're done! The transaction has concluded!

I bought GTA V on Xbox 360 but, years later after I sold my Xbox, I wanted to play the PC version. It was $60 on Steam and had been for months, so I bit the bullet and bought it despite not liking the idea of paying full price for a several-years-old game that I already had bought a copy of years earlier, but I was willing to pay it because I really wanted to play it. Literally the next day, it went on sale for something like $29.99. I was bummed, but only at myself for not having the patience to wait to see if it went on sale.

idk it's just, like, who exactly are you mad at? What do you think you're owed? We're not investors in this product; we're consumers, despite how Steam's EA-marketing makes it sound. IG offered you a game with certain terms in place, you bought it, didn't return it, and that's the end of the interaction!

1 hour ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I'm so confused by this. Like, this exact same logic could be used to say that any sale of any product at any time is unfair. And we don't "have to pay 20% more". We've already paid! That was the deal! Like, once you buy a product and don't return it within the window, you're done! The transaction has concluded!

I bought GTA V on Xbox 360 but, years later after I sold my Xbox, I wanted to play the PC version. It was $60 on Steam and had been for months, so I bit the bullet and bought it despite not liking the idea of paying full price for a several-years-old game that I already had bought a copy of years earlier, but I was willing to pay it because I really wanted to play it. Literally the next day, it went on sale for something like $29.99. I was bummed, but only at myself for not having the patience to wait to see if it went on sale.

idk it's just, like, who exactly are you mad at? What do you think you're owed? We're not investors in this product; we're consumers, despite how Steam's EA-marketing makes it sound. IG offered you a game with certain terms in place, you bought it, didn't return it, and that's the end of the interaction!

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but at a minimum I feel deceived.  I feel scammed.  I feel taken advantage of.

We have heard that the EA price is the EA price, and it isn't going to change except to go up at 1.0.  Dakota has stated that he dropped the ball on letting the forum members know a sale was going to happen, and that erodes what little trust I have in the company right now.  For years we were told the game was almost ready, and that things are running fine, and that this is going to be this awesome sequel to a wonderful game.  And what we got not only did not live up to the hype, but it was overpriced.  At a 1.0 release the game would have been a steal at $50.  In early access, with all the bugs and such, it's overpriced at the sale price.  And, at least to me, it just seems off, like IG is trying to get sales numbers solely to justify not getting shut down immediately.

We all know the numbers about players and such.  We can get an idea about how many people bought and refunded, which is money IG never got their hands on.  And we can assume that the low player numbers recently aren't just showing that nobody is playing, but that nobody is buying either.  And a project that isn't profitable, regardless of type of product, doesn't live very long.  So to push a sale when the game is this bad?  It feels...off.

Do I want KSP2 to be shut down?  No.  Heck no.  A resounding heck no.  But I also don't want to feel like I've been lied to, or taken advantage of.  I don't want to feel like most of the community here is against me simply because I'm not happy with the way things are going, or because I'm not afraid to stand up for myself and say what is on my mind about what I think the game is.  And until things smooth out and the major things get fixed, there is nothing anyone can do to alleviate those feelings short of the company coming out and being entirely open and honest about what is happening.  And we know that will never happen.

A sale is a terrible idea. For me, there really shouldn't be promos or sales until the game is in a better state where I.e players are playing a lot and loving it. 

Unless this was an idea to just get people to buy and hold until it's in a better state? I think we have enough bug testers at the moment right? Keeping in mind, testing bugs isn't always fun

On 6/23/2023 at 12:37 PM, Wheehaw Kerman said:

Paid full price on the EA.  Don’t care that it’s gone on sale.  Don’t feel scammed.  Why should I?

I dont feel scammed either even if I did it would just be 10$.

its not like I just got scammed out of my life's savings by some random guy.

I would never have bought the game for $50 had I known in advance that, at one point in time, it would be discounted at a holiday sale or special event! Imagine they’d do this on Steam with other games! People would revolt! The thought that someone would pay less than me causes unbearable agony! Isn’t this against the Geneva convention?

On 6/23/2023 at 9:25 PM, Heretic391 said:

A sale is a terrible idea. For me, there really shouldn't be promos or sales until the game is in a better state where I.e players are playing a lot and loving it. 

Unless this was an idea to just get people to buy and hold until it's in a better state? I think we have enough bug testers at the moment right? Keeping in mind, testing bugs isn't always fun

I'm not about to cry foul over spending $10 more than I might have if I had waited. I bought the game as it is, for the price they were charging,  with my eyes open.  But I have to agree that all they are going to do by having a sale at this point is generate more unsatisfied customers, who will still complain about how slow and buggy it is even though they paid less than I did. They would be far better off IMO if they held off on having any big promotions until they have a better experience to offer those who take them up on it.

Edited by herbal space program

I mean... Speaking of eyes open, now it's even more clear, a 30 seconds long look at reviews should help the undecided. If at this point someone willingly buys the game expecting something more than the entirety of the internet says there is, and comes out unsatisfied, it's on them. Back in February it was almost a lottery. For the love of the Kraken, don't buy blindly. I did 4 months ago. But do I regret it? No, in fact I just put two sections of an orbital station together, first time since release because finally the performance allows me to do so. And I clocked in almost 70 hours at this point.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:05 PM, Dakota said:

Just a few notes:

- This sale was initially slated to be in line with the Steam Summer Sale but we decided to start it early since the patch was coming out.

- This price is not permanent and will only be available through the Steam Summer Sale.

- The EA price will continue to be the same, and then rise once 1.0 is released - as we've confirmed before.

What? 1.0 will cost more than 50 euro?

I'm sorry but you cannot compare yourself with Triple AAA studios lol...