KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

217 days from launch date and only 7 updates (including small ones) we don't have any of the points of the roadmap. Only bugs corrections and a few parts added.

The devolpment speed is very low, I don't know why.

The last big update was 80 days ago. I hope 0.1.5.0 will come with science (a basic version)

Date Version Days Days from launch
24-2-23 0.0.0.0    
16-3-23 0.1.1.0 20 20
12-4-23 0.1.2.0 27 47
22-6-23 0.1.3.0 71 118
28-6-23 0.1.3.1 6 124
11-7-23 0.1.3.2 13 137
30-8-23 0.1.4.0 50 187
29-9-23 0.1.4.1 30 217

40 minutes ago, K76 said:

Here:

40 minutes ago, K76 said:

Only bugs corrections

There were hundreds of them and all needed to be squashed before any substantial content update (otherwise the narration would turn into "why are you adding content? Focus on the bugs")

28 minutes ago, gussi111 said:

More like "Why did you allow yourself to release the game with hundreds of bugs after delaying it for years?"

Because they were delaying it for years, and sugar daddy T2 basically said “enough is enough, just publish what you have.”

That I have less issues with than with the casual "Everything is great and we'll just pretend there are no bugs” attitude that followed for the half year following that release. At least now they're admitting that the product is bug-ridden, although they still seem to be not in a particular hurry to fix them. My fear is that they're now rushing to get Science in—they only have two months left for that after all—and bug fixing will once again be considered not worth the effort “because we need grid fins”. Science will then introduce it's own scala of bugs—the proud announcement that you can carry careers over milestone updates, which seems like a completely useless feature at this point—suggests that we'll be entering a whole new world of pain regarding loading and saving games for instance.

On 10/21/2023 at 12:33 PM, K76 said:

217 days from launch date and only 7 updates (including small ones) we don't have any of the points of the roadmap. Only bugs corrections and a few parts added.

The last big update was 80 days ago. I hope 0.1.5.0 will come with science (a basic version)

Date Version Days Days from launch
24-2-23 0.0.0.0    
16-3-23 0.1.1.0 20 20
12-4-23 0.1.2.0 27 47
22-6-23 0.1.3.0 71 118
28-6-23 0.1.3.1 6 124
11-7-23 0.1.3.2 13 137
30-8-23 0.1.4.0 50 187
29-9-23 0.1.4.1 30 217

There won't be any 'basic' version of science, it's just getting dropped as one complete article in For Science!

I keep seeing this chart when people are complaining about updates. 

A couple things. Updates following a new release are low hanging fruit. Things easily fixable.

As times goes on and the low hanging fruit becomes depleted the updates turn to more complex issues that require much more work and evaluation. To correlate time with quantity shows a serious lack of understanding of how complex of a simulation this is. 

On 10/11/2023 at 4:02 PM, Bej Kerman said:

You've nailed the problem this game's community has had since KSP 2 dropped. The cynicism wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't shoved in everyone's faces. Pretty much every thread contains some variant of someone liquiding on someone else's bonfire cause they're unhappy with the game, and I see sweet FA being done about it.

Patience.   Sure, the EA’s worst issue has been the fan base, but I expect we’re going to see feature releases dropping more quickly over time - I doubt that the next feature release will take ten months or so.  In a year or two a lot of posts will have aged like milk, but as the game begins to flesh out and improve, the dev’s plan becomes more apparent, and all the prognostications of doom become (even more) obviously… um, hysterical, overwrought and silly, I expect things will get back to normal around here.

On 10/21/2023 at 4:09 PM, Kerbart said:

Because they were delaying it for years, and sugar daddy T2 basically said “enough is enough, just publish what you have.”

That I have less issues with than with the casual "Everything is great and we'll just pretend there are no bugs” attitude that followed for the half year following that release. At least now they're admitting that the product is bug-ridden, although they still seem to be not in a particular hurry to fix them. My fear is that they're now rushing to get Science in—they only have two months left for that after all—and bug fixing will once again be considered not worth the effort “because we need grid fins”. Science will then introduce it's own scala of bugs—the proud announcement that you can carry careers over milestone updates, which seems like a completely useless feature at this point—suggests that we'll be entering a whole new world of pain regarding loading and saving games for instance.

The state of For Science! on release is going to to be informative.  If the devs have been working on it, the core game, and the other roadmap features in parallel, it may be less buggy, followed by the next release in quicker succession.  If so, I think that it’ll be fairly obvious that although the EA was released in the state it was for unverifiable reasons that it’s pointless to speculate about, the development is proceeding along lines that you’d expect from a major studio, and that all the anti-hype was just overheated forum speculation and can be ignored without loss.

We shall see.

18 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

The state of For Science! on release is going to to be informative.  If the devs have been working on it, the core game, and the other roadmap features in parallel, it may be less buggy, followed by the next release in quicker succession.  [...] We shall see.

Oh yes. The optimistic view is that the majority of resources were poured into FS! and the reason bug fixing went so slow was because this project had prevalence. Since that project is now nearly complete, more resources are poured into bug fixing. The 0.2 release will be a glorious release and all will be well.

Or... it's the usual hype, the "WIP" we've seen is mostly wishful thinking and "no more wobbly rockets" has as much meaning as the "we slayed the kraken" around EA time. Existing bugs are still there and FS! will introduce a whole new family of them.

I hope the former but experience over the past releases makes me gravitate towards the latter.

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I hope the former but experience over the past releases makes me gravitate towards the latter.

I understand the pessimism, I'm cautiously optimistic from what I've seen. But even if they don't make it as amazing as it's portrayed, it will still be a big jump to finally be able to do science with somewhat stable rockets. I don't think I'll be massively disappointed if it doesn't turn out as great as they're showing it, but hey, I'll at least have something to keep me busy in the game.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Oh yes. The optimistic view is that the majority of resources were poured into FS! and the reason bug fixing went so slow was because this project had prevalence. Since that project is now nearly complete, more resources are poured into bug fixing. The 0.2 release will be a glorious release and all will be well.

Or... it's the usual hype, the "WIP" we've seen is mostly wishful thinking and "no more wobbly rockets" has as much meaning as the "we slayed the kraken" around EA time. Existing bugs are still there and FS! will introduce a whole new family of them.

Understandable, I suppose, but the latter presupposes some shockingly bad management at a level higher than IG.  If we assume that the negativity is overwrought speculation by people of varying degrees of business and project management sophistication, the possibility that the slow pace since the premature launch was driven by IG sticking to parallel development of the roadmap features along a long term plan by a smallish studio, as opposed to development planning to appease a forum rabble :).

There’s only two more months to go before we find out, happily.  I’ll remain optimistic.

5 hours ago, Kerbart said:

December is still over a month away. We'll see at least two or three more patches before than, including the 1.5 patch.

2 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

December is still over a month away. We'll see at least two or three more patches before than, including the 1.5 patch.

No, we won't.  We will see one patch (0.1.5), and then 0.2.0.  If we get more than 1 patch in the next 8 weeks, I would highly suggest delaying FS due to bugs.

6 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

No, we won't.  We will see one patch (0.1.5), and then 0.2.0.  If we get more than 1 patch in the next 8 weeks, I would highly suggest delaying FS due to bugs.

Wait, does it say that somewhere? I was just basing it on the release dates of the previous patches.

10 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

Wait, does it say that somewhere? I was just basing it on the release dates of the previous patches.

No, just using common sense.  0.1.5 comes out this week (per Nate).  That leaves 5 weeks until December, with I think only 9 total weeks until Christmas.  If we assume mid-December for 0.2.0 (to take advantage of Christmas purchases), that is only 6 weeks after the next patch.

Could they release another patch?  Sure.  But it wouldn't make sense when they can include whatever bug fixes would be in that patch with 0.2.0.

On 10/14/2023 at 7:27 AM, gluckez said:

Sorry for ping glueckz, mobile version of forum bugging out on me

Have they explicitly stated anywhere that thing like the dV tools they've shown are slated for the 0.2 release? Maybe we'll get some of those on what I'd assume is this Friday

Edited by Stoup
Bugged post is bugged