What happened to increased communication?

10 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

Since the FS! release to today, if you filter by 2 hours playtime (the refund window), 57% of the people that bought the game, or hadn't opened it till then, left a negative review. And from the total (2000 reviews in that timeframe), 500 of them kept their review negative, or made a negative review.

Since you don’t have to open steam to actually play KSP2 it’s hard to draw any useful information from this. I have less than 6 hours logged, yet I’ve dumped at least 200+ hours into KSP2

I think the logic behind that is :

of those posting reviews on steam

those with 2 hours & less of playtime are unlikely to be bypassing the launcher

& posits that by

Removing negative (and positive) reviews that were in this 2 hour or less window gives you a more accurate metric of *Steam user recommendations*

Serious Players will not be in this window.

Then PCD breaks those numbers down to support an argument that the FS made marginal differences to the sum total community perception (on steam)

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

so the frequency was reduced to bring some visible results.

The issue - at least, from what I can see - is that they continue to promise more communication, but then eventually scale it back.  It's a constant cycle of not being told anything, then complaining about it, then them telling us they'll do better, then them actually doing worse.  Take the KERBs, for example.  Those started as a way to let the community know what is going on with bug fixes, which is a great idea.  Supposed to be every 2 weeks, and I agree with your next statement that there isn't much to say about stuff every 2 weeks.  But instead of giving us anything appreciable, they not only leave some bug fixes in the same status for months (Researching is my favorite because, you know, what exactly are you looking at/for over the course of several months on the same issue), but they then decide to remove things from the KERBs under the guise of "If nothing is changing and we are aware of it, there's no point in bringing it up any longer".  Almost as if they are hoping we forget about those things, or we'll forget that they were supposed to be working on them.

So then FS! drops, and we get a patch in January to fix some bugs.  Some bugs that have been around for months are still present, but we get a couple of KERBs with the same stand-by statuses (Researching, Need Additional Information, Fix Being Tested, et al).  Then radio silence as we wait for a few weeks to see if we'll get one, only to be told a bit after the last one drops that they are now going to be doled out monthly.  Ok, so that's cool, we should still get one every month.  Oh, but wait, we didn't mean every 30 days; we meant sometime during the course of a month.  Oh, ok, so that's ok then, we should still get one every month, right?  Well, not so fast, because Mike still needs to get the internal calendar cleaned up before they can even start thinking about when the next KERB will be dropped.  So, just to make sure I grasp that concept:  after multiple periods of employees being off on vacation (and don't harsh on me for that, I do believe everyone should get time off, I'm just using that as a starting point here), and after being told that you wanted to drop FS! and make sure nothing was wrong, you still can't get us the communication we asked for and that you promised us until the guy who was off on paternity leave fixes some mystical internal calendar that apparently holds the key to timing on communication?  Sounds like yet another excuse as to why we aren't being told anything, if you want my honest opinion.  Or whether you don't want my honest opinion; I'm giving it to you regardless.

Now throw on top of all of this that there are layoffs coming to TT, IG, and PD.  I know Nate said that the game was funded, and several months ago he told us that there was no danger of PD having cutbacks in staff.  I'm sorry, but to me it really does sound like they aren't communicating intentionally because something major is about to happen.  To the studio, the IP, or to both.  And they are radio silent because of it.

Can you see and understand why we are frustrated?  We get told "We'll give you more" and then we actually get less.  And this isn't some new situation; it's been like this for at least as long as early access has been going for this game.  All those promises that were made just haven't been honored, and it's left a lot of us a bit jaded.

4 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

More? Or are you talking about the ones reported in March 2023?

Nevermind: https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/layoffs-at-rockstar-games-owner-2k-and-private-division-a-number/z36c46

Yeah.  A net loss of ~$200 million in cancelled projects and severance packages.  An approximate 5% reduction in the overall workforce.  But a reduction in overall operating costs by ~$165 million annually.

What really gets me about the article is that they are touting GTA VI as being the next big game, and it's expected to be the top-selling game of the decade.  I know that Rockstar and Private Division are two entirely separate subsidiaries of TT...but one has to wonder how much management is shifting overall corporate focus to GTA, and how much that shift is impacting other titles such as KSP.  I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it will happen.  I'm just curious, is all.

3 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Yeah.  A net loss of ~$200 million in cancelled projects and severance packages.  An approximate 5% reduction in the overall workforce.  But a reduction in overall operating costs by ~$165 million annually.

What really gets me about the article is that they are touting GTA VI as being the next big game, and it's expected to be the top-selling game of the decade.  I know that Rockstar and Private Division are two entirely separate subsidiaries of TT...but one has to wonder how much management is shifting overall corporate focus to GTA, and how much that shift is impacting other titles such as KSP.  I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it will happen.  I'm just curious, is all.

Like you said, given the apparently slower than normal progress lately and absolutely radio silence from IG, what else can we assume?

Edited by MechBFP

Mike may be obligated to obfuscate and answer with certain prepared statement. 

He may have been given instruction to answer specific questions in certain ways.

I  the current climate of this EA, it is difficult to take anything spoke st face value.

Without seeing something official about various goal posts. We must speculate & the longer the silence...

The greater our fears will influence that speculation. 

Honestly, I think I've finally lost faith in the project. I really truly hope to be wrong, but we'll see where the next patch goes and if Colonies is another 10 month wait just like For Science was.

50 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

Honestly, I think I've finally lost faith in the project. I really truly hope to be wrong, but we'll see where the next patch goes and if Colonies is another 10 month wait just like For Science was.

Keep in mind that it took 8 months to get the first 5 patches, which is more than 2 months between them.  Then another 2 months to get 0.2, then another month to get 0.2.1.  Already been 3 months since 0.2.1, and no communication on when to expect 0.2.2 (only that it is coming soonTM).  If we are looking at 10 months since 0.2, that puts colonies (0.3) at October(ish)...which is after they told us it wouldn't be that long.

12 hours ago, Icegrx said:

Since you don’t have to open steam to actually play KSP2 it’s hard to draw any useful information from this. I have less than 6 hours logged, yet I’ve dumped at least 200+ hours into KSP2

Reviews don't care about you opening the launcher or not. You can leave a positive or negative review with 0 hours logged. The reason I choose the 2 hour mark is because it happens to be the refund window, so you can see how many people leave a negative review (one which most probably converts to a refund) inside that window. If you're going to keep playing without logging hours, it doesn't affect the result. Further on, logging hours also doesn't matter for the review influx.

15 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I don't think fanbase has the legal right to fire anyone.

Exactly so what's the point? More importantly, what's the point of repeating the same thing over and over like a broken record if all they're going to get is complaining?

Look at KERBs. There were barely any difference between the last two reports, because, really, not much can change in two weeks, so the frequency was reduced to bring some visible results.

I believe the *point* may vary based on the individual

1. Some want to vent their frustration. A few of which repeat. Other do not repeat but are attributed as having done so due to multiple attempts (often polite) to explain those that seem incapable of grasping their perspective

2. Some want to feel they need to contribute to a relevant conversation 

3. Expressing an opinion (motive is different than above)

4. Some wish to express outrage as a common theme begins to emerge with regard to certain key directorial positions

5. Some wish to convey to whoever will listen, thay this behavior is unacceptable.

6. Some wish to warn others and prevent them from making a similiar mistake

7. A few believe that enough angry voices across multiple mediums may generate the *right* attention to actually make a difference. Despite repetitive tones, they (still) believe that we'll crafted, thoughtful & articulate posts might be enough to sway someone that matters... or rally enough voices that something happens.

I know I left a few hundred of you out and I'm sorry.. there just isn't room.

It's a culmination of poor decisions. They have deviated greatly from the idea & concept of taking KSP1 to the next level.

It's rebranded & something completely different.. and currently broken.

There disingenuous sections where developers mention "playtesting daily".. this is incredibly difficult to ratuonalize in the amateur players mind when it wasnt even playable for 8 months

and remains fundamentally broken in many aspects related to physics. Its not unrealistic to want conversations on this.

so far i have only seen what dev blog that even resembles an actual dev blog. 

There may have been other but heat FX is what I recall ..

Why cant there be a blog about actual development.

The work they are cracking down on why my rocket explodes the first time I load it.. every other time.

Is there a physics guru on tap for the hard stuff?

Nearly every other EA i play has this, others have other frequent communications.

The lack of communication and subsequent outrage  is symptomatic of other things coming to a head.

Just an additional rant here. @Nerdy_Mike posted on discord yesterday:

No news this week please don't get hopes up.

according to discord tracker on the forum's side. Uhm, fine, I won't get my hopes up, but it would be nice to know when to expect some news, rather than when not to expect them.

7 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

according to discord tracker on the forum's side. Uhm, fine, I won't get my hopes up, but it would be nice to know when to expect some news, rather than when not to expect them.

And this here is what you  get from a 50$ EA. 
It’s so cold I’m almost feeling like they’re doing us a favor to break the silence in this way. 

50 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Been more than a month since the last KERB, and the only thing we've gotten is that Mike is working on their internal calendar to determine when timing starts.  And Darrin stated it's one KERB in a month, not one every 30 days.  Throw onto this that there are changes coming to PD with the layoffs, and I'm just not feeling too warm about this title any longer.  Just rip the band-aid off, already.

Also, we don't have hope any longer on communication.

Edited by Scarecrow71

31 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Been more than a month since the last KERB, and the only thing we've gotten is that Mike is working on their internal calendar to determine when timing starts.  And Darrin stated it's one KERB in a month, not one every 30 days.  Throw onto this that there are changes coming to PD with the layoffs, and I'm just not feeling too warm about this title any longer.  Just rip the band-aid off, already.

Also, we don't have hope any longer on communication.

"one kerb in a month" is, at least logically, capable of resulting in 2 K.E.R.B.s spaced by ~60 days, provided one shows up the first day of month A, and the other at the end of month B. Funny coincidence? Thought that statement is probably just a way giving themselves some leeway, as it's technically correct so long as they release a K.E.R.B. before the 30/31st of X month. Some months the K.E.R.B. might come faster, in others they might have absolutely nothing until the very last day when there's no chance but to post what they have.

It's laughable that we have to go to these extents to skirt around their non-statements and incapability of producing a periodic report.

4 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

It's laughable that we have to go to these extents to skirt around their non-statements and incapability of producing a periodic report.

It's a good practice, if you want a career in politics. Always look at the bright side of life :P

I might risk some things here, but we're half way through April, and I am disheartened and frustrated.

I have never once worked on a game that took two weeks to "Plan" for what comes next. Not even during our team wide trip to Mexico City did we take two weeks to plan out what came next. I get it, Holiday Stand down + Planning out what comes next takes up a few weeks and it's hard to get back in the saddle, but this is not it. (Unless that two week planning was a complete rebuild of team structure, and workflow, in which case, my apologies.)

As a former Community Manager I have never been so utterly disappointed in leadership as I am right now. I am not disappointed in the community team, as they can only share what they are authorized to share, so Mike and Dakota don't get any reprimands from me, they're both doing the best they can, and they have both been outstanding Community leads, but senior leadership, does. 

To Senior leadership, you are doing permanent and lasting damage to the brand, the project, and the community as a whole. Changing KERB communication was a mistake. Giving us next to nothing outside a single vid we had to dig up to find with Nate and a single dev post since last year is unacceptable.

This community deserves better from you all, WE gave them better when we had the reigns during the early days, those that came after Me, Skunky, Nova, C7, Mu, Harv, etc, gave this community better. 

You need to do better. You need to be better. For Kerbal Space Program, for the Community as a Whole, for the future of this franchise. 

Now, I am sorry and I apologize if I being disrespectful here, but I am upset and I am voicing that here. If anyone thinks I am out of line, please tell me, and I will apologize, but I love this franchise.

I love KSP.

KSP was my first ever game, my first ever time as a CM, my first ever real shot and chance in this industry and it changed my life and left as lasting impression on me. I have changed a lot since my time as "Damion Rayne" back in the day, but I am still the same space loving, green space frog loving, spontaneous unplanned disassembly and single state to ocean loving, KSP Fan I have been since the start.

With respect, and love of Rockets and Science,
-Rayne

Edited by RayneCloud

6 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Actually, I was hoping if you would post something like this... Thank you for posting it. 

Oh? Why me? lol

Thanks though, and yeah, of course, I love KSP as I said. :)

Edited by RayneCloud

4 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

something gotta give at this point.

Already has. Almost everyone's patience with the CMs and the devs. Horrible release, promises time and time again about increased communication with damn near zero results, tone deaf CMs, game breaking bugs that have been there since day one and still persist, flat out lies by CMs and IG about the state of development before EA...... the list goes on. 

12 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

something gotta give at this point.

I believe that is the goal.

They are hoping we're grow fed up and trickle away like the rest of the others.

There has not been enough significance placed upon our love for this franchise.

But, I must admit I am so close to giving up.

The Colonies have already deviated so far from anything I was hoping for.

I think the goal is specifically to give it as a wide appeal as possible. Which mean removing much of what many older fans wanted.. what was promised for years. KsP+ what we had come to love from the best mods* (subjectove)

This may not be the case, but it feels like the common core educational system in the US has made a version of KSP

I dont really wanna launch a ship with a magic part and animation & a station. I wanted EVA construction, with Struts. 

I wanted tenuous docking moments when I connected the powerhouse.

I think a robust series of features thay are but free should come waaay before interstellar.

I wish they'd run multi-player as a concurrent side project and push interstellar to DLC.

I don't even see resources making much difference with the proposed *style* they are going with.

I do not see them choosing to go with complex OSE style resource conversions into part.

I think there is no communication bc

1) They know the majority of the community will really not like what they have in mind

2) The project is dead

How else can you have 6 weeks of sprint planning & two work weeks to structure and *internal calender*