What happened to increased communication?

33 minutes ago, Stephensan said:
  • yes they are working on colonies so they are still following the roadmap
  • underway working on colonies most likely working out optimizations on part count, and placement on other planets and seeing how it behaves
  • there is 2-3 killer bugs right now, revert save death wobble/save rot issue, part performance issues, and finally planting flags breaking the game

there is ofc a lot more bugs, but even i can answer these questions. more realistic questions that they could sink there teeth into is

• With colony progression underway, what is an issue that is taking the most time, performance-related, or coding the parts in, coding the core parts or is it bug fixing?
  • With the long duration between the first bug patch of 0.2.0 to 0.2.1 are you able to give us feedback on a estimation of bugs that will be fixed in the next upcoming bug update?
  • With knowing that things such as HDRP, or developer such as blackrack is there any new information you can give us on either or has blackrack been working for colonies?

these are questions that directly gives us answers, still allows them freedom of not giving us time frames, gives them estimiations so it isn't fully clear, while also not letting even a user like me knowing the answers.

and it can be as simple as the answers

• as of right now core parts coding is taking the longest, there is a lot of parts that we need make sure work fully and verify through internal builds.
  • so far we have about 20-25 bugs fixed and 3 bugs that was on the hit list on KERB that finally was completed since last KERB update.
  • HDRP is still in stages of being worked on we have tested it in a couple cycles but we are still not happy with how it is performing and will take longer, and blackrack has been working on making the reentry effects better with the colors based off of atmosphere composition and the moon/planet occlusion, due to the more recent solar ecplise it will take a while for us to have a viable product for testing before we can move forward with it and give more infomation..

its a matter of knowing and gathering information that still allows CM's to not give time frames but still giving us information in short statements, just like colonies, there is a A LOT of information we actually already got for information, its more so being able to find it

don't worry we will know something hopefully next week

One thing I keep asking and never getting an answer to is "Why are you still Researching a bug that's been around since launch".  What exactly are they researching, and why haven't they been able to nail down the cause?  Are they waiting for more information, or are they simply not working it because they feel it may break with Colonies?

This applies to the dV calculator, maneuver nodes, orbital lines disappearing, docking ports not functioning properly, and others.  I'm not even asking for what the fix is, or what the timeline is.  I simply want to know how something can be around for more than a year and the team is still researching the cause.

2 minutes ago, rnt_hank said:

I can make guesses too, but from the recent track record they wouldn't be as optimistic as yours.

This is about hearing it from the *team*, not a random player.  No offense.

Your questions are silly because they are perpetually unanswerable.  They answer the question, and 1 minute goes by and "are you still working on x? Tell us!".

1 hour ago, rnt_hank said:

Are you still following the roadmap or not?  Tell us.

Already told us.

2 hours ago, rnt_hank said:

Do you know where you are on the map?  Tell us. 

This one shouldn't require links as it is mentioned constantly but, again, they already told us.

Get roadblocked by a killer bug or set back?  Tell us.

As shown by the linked chart,  while this is our biggest gap between updates it does not indicate a major setback. However, more comms on this (RIP the K.E.R.B.) would be lovely.

Right now it appears the game is dead in the water and you're doing nothing but procrastinate delivering the cancellation news, because you can't seem to communicate in a post addressing the lack of communication.

The links above are enough proof that this game is not being cancelled. It's clear that IG is following a similar communication/marketing tactic as they did for 0.2.0, which is to show absolutely nothing until announcing the update and provide comms/leaks after.

Give us *something* other than more empty promises.  SHOW US WHAT YOU'VE DONE.

While I wouldn't consider things so far "empty promises", I agree. We want to see the work being done. Let us be excited about what excites you and the team, IG!

3 minutes ago, RileyHef said:

Already told us.

This doesn't answer anything.   "We're working on it" is a vague way of saying "eff off and stop asking."  WHAT are they working on, specifically, since colonies have been playable to devs for years already?

4 minutes ago, rnt_hank said:

This doesn't answer anything. 

You asked, "Are you still following the roadmap or not? " The team said, "Yes the roadmap will be followed and fulfilled."

That's your answer. Game dev is complex and takes time. This is a company selling and marketing a product - not an open source project that we are all free to peek into. We will see Colonies content when they want to market it to us.

Look at 0.2. That was not fully announced until a month before its release and we had very little info prior to that. After it was announced, the CM's launched a marketing campaign to provide more content and details. Given that colonies is likely not going to be released until at least June (and more realistically around August, imo) I would not expect a mountain of info until at least after 0.2.2 drops. It's probably better to take a break from following development if you want to see specific, working colony gameplay/news right now.

2 minutes ago, RileyHef said:

ook at 0.2. That was not fully announced until a month before its release and we had very little info prior to that.

Wrong.

By half of the year we knew:

1. It was coming near the end of the year.
  2. It was gonna include "lots of fixes".
  3. It was going to be the first iteration of the heating system.
  4. A heating system we already had a devblog for and not "here's how I failed  to make an eclipse".
  5. Some parts had been shown.
  6. The concept that parts were gonna be an all-in-one solution was explained.
  7. We were told the system was going to be incomplete, as it was going to be partly carved out by resources and colonies.
  8. Heating itself had not just a devblog, but 3 iterations of VFX demoed.

Then after all that info, FS! was barely a remix of KSP1 in the end, and people got blindsided by a horrible surprised because they never showed proper gameplay up until like a month before release, kinda like how after 4 years the game changed from full release to barebones early access. THAT is why they don't have the community's trust.

And we know lots of theory stuff about colonies already as well, allegedly, provided they don't go back on their previous words and we don't get another surprise like FS! where the boxes are checked but it is just bad.

25 minutes ago, rnt_hank said:

This doesn't answer anything.   "We're working on it" is a vague way of saying "eff off and stop asking."  WHAT are they working on, specifically, since colonies have been playable to devs for years already?

Can you define 'playable' by your perception? That term seems to be misused every so often because of the vague definition.

40 minutes ago, rnt_hank said:
  • This doesn't answer anything.   "We're working on it" is a vague way of saying "eff off and stop asking."  WHAT are they working on, specifically, since colonies have been playable to devs for years already?

"parent goes to work"  "parent comes home" did you work today... after the millionth time saying the same thing its annoying. there is nothing else to say.

WHAT are they working on, specifically, since colonies have been playable to devs for years already?

Bugs and colonies and making sure everything works for everything else like MP...  We can assume that they played the game in the most basic function low fps etc, and them saying that it was completely playable was not fully truthful so it could just be hype marketing at play.

https://steamdb.info/app/954850/depots/

here is for bugs, you see them working on it, stuff happens and changes, they use the same numbers and names so it seems that they haven't done anything until 10 days ago but its been moving the entire time changing, from what i understand this is for mostly the bug work team, and devs for next major update either in offline servers not connected to steam, or hidden among those "Development"

(Assumptions)

• Development = Bug Test X
  • Test = Developments Combined
  • PlayTest = Internal/Dev/Team Playing
  • Voyager = First Stage Of Next Patch/Update (could be long term gameplay test cause it can be days or weeks before Candidate)
  • Candidate = Third To Last Stage Before Next Patch/Update (its like from what we know second stage from voyager)
  • Staging = Second To Last Stage Before Patch/Update Gets Moved To "Public" or 0.x.x.x

and then we get a release..

and for colonies

(use ad blocker)

https://kerbal-space-program-2.fandom.com/wiki/Colonies

all of this information needs to be fully working, in a game playable state for tons of different hardware and different playstyles, and not in a EA testing build with teens of fps for 18 parts. also even more thermal stuff is coming.

Edited by Stephensan

18 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

all of this information needs to be fully working, in a game playable state for tons of different hardware and different playstyles, and not in a EA testing build with teens of fps for 18 parts.

And yet, what we have is an EA testing build with teens of FPS.  I have mid-range hardware and can't crack 15 FPS on anything greater than 75 parts.  I don't even hit 20 FPS until I'm under 40.  So all those performance enhancements the team has made may have impacted high-end gear, but not mid-range.  And we shouldn't be expected to drop $500 on a new video card to play this game.  My card is just over 2 years old at this point, and functions just fine on every other game I own.

So fully working?  I can't see how it is.

43 minutes ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Can you define 'playable' by your perception? That term seems to be misused every so often because of the vague definition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw42iC-mlZM

Playable enough that a CM was able to tell us about how the mechanics worked 4.5 years ago.

Edit to quote:

"There's so many crazy things you can do now."  *Now* implying it was possible at the time.

Edited by rnt_hank

27 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And yet, what we have is an EA testing build with teens of FPS.  I have mid-range hardware and can't crack 15 FPS on anything greater than 75 parts.  I don't even hit 20 FPS until I'm under 40.  So all those performance enhancements the team has made may have impacted high-end gear, but not mid-range.  And we shouldn't be expected to drop $500 on a new video card to play this game.  My card is just over 2 years old at this point, and functions just fine on every other game I own.

So fully working?  I can't see how it is.

define mid range for context.. for your computer

Edited by Stephensan

2 minutes ago, rnt_hank said:

No, this was Private Division on KSP2.

ShadowZone: Hello everybody, and welcome! We're sitting here with Nate Simpson, Creative Director for Kerbal Space Program 2 at Private Division... uh, no, at Star Theory, I'm very sorry.

Nate: Private Division is our label, but Star Theory is the name of the developer.

Also, Nate is 'Creative Director' for <company of your choice here>... was there also a CM later in the video?

4 minutes ago, Flush Foot said:

ShadowZone: Hello everybody, and welcome! We're sitting here with Nate Simpson, Creative Director for Kerbal Space Program 2 at Private Division... uh, no, at Star Theory, I'm very sorry.

Nate: Private Division is our label, but Star Theory is the name of the developer.

Also, Nate is 'Creative Director' for <company of your choice here>... was there also a CM later in the video?

So the owner, Private Division, takes all the staff from one 'studio' and moves them to another new 'studio with a different name, and I'm supposed to believe everything is different now?  It's the exact same people.

Edit to address your semantics: Nate here is seen managing the community, ie CMing.

Edited by rnt_hank

1 hour ago, RileyHef said:

Look at 0.2. That was not fully announced until a month before its release and we had very little info prior to that. After it was announced, the CM's launched a marketing campaign to provide more content and details. Given that colonies is likely not going to be released until at least June (and more realistically around August, imo) I would not expect a mountain of info until at least after 0.2.2 drops. It's probably better to take a break from following development if you want to see specific, working colony gameplay/news right now.

That's a good point, it does feel disheartening feeling like we don't have much information but looking back it is a lot like For Science! I think it just feels worse now because we know how great it was getting new information each week during that month prior to For Science! All that being said, I am much more interested on getting communication on the next patch since it has taken the longest between any patch in the past. I am hoping for a decent list of bug fixes, maybe 15 - 20 small bugs, performance increases, and at least 1 or 2 of the major bugs concerning the community recently (quick load vessels breaking, vessels falling through floor, rover distance problems, orbital lines dissapearing from "landed" state of vessel, ect.)

32 minutes ago, rnt_hank said:

So the owner, Private Division, takes all the staff from one 'studio' and moves them to another new 'studio with a different name, and I'm supposed to believe everything is different now?  It's the exact same people.

Just intervening to correct that, only 50% of the people made the transition.

And those who did not was a lot of engineers and management, the CTO and CEO of Star Theory didn’t make the switch.

And SQUAD employees that are at Intercept games made the change from ksp1 to ksp2 only after Star Theory changed.

So only a select few stayed all the way from Star Theory to Intercept Games today.

Edited by Spicat

17 hours ago, Nerdy_Mike said:

I wanted to hop in here to say that most of the stuff the players are asking for will be addressed soon. Now I know in the past soon has been treated as a "sure three months" but this time I am working as fast as I can with team to get the asks you all have addressed. 

I know the speed is not what is being asked, but next week we will have some news to share with more to come in the following weeks. We don't want everyone to get tiny bits of information and we're working to deliver more as quick as possible.

On that note I just ask to be patient just a little while longer. 

Thank you @Nerdy_Mike  A post like this (and your recent ones) is all I really needed to chill out for a few more months.  Happy you're back and thanks for always having your finger on the pulse of the community.  PS hope the twins are sleeping well for you!

1 hour ago, rnt_hank said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw42iC-mlZM

Playable enough that a CM was able to tell us about how the mechanics worked 4.5 years ago.

Edit to quote:

"There's so many crazy things you can do now."  *Now* implying it was possible at the time.

So no one said something was playable, right? You didn't took the framing into account and tricked yourself into thinking something worked which didn't. Hence why I ask you about your perception. Your question alone makes no sense anymore.

3 hours ago, RileyHef said:

It's clear that IG is following a similar communication/marketing tactic as they did for 0.2.0, which is to show absolutely nothing until announcing the update and provide comms/leaks after.

This is a great summary of the problem at hand, though.

That works for a game already past 1.0. Not for an Early Access borderline unplayable preview build of what's yet to become a videogame (current KSP2)

Edited by MARL_Mk1

3 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

My graphics card is well over 4 years old and isn't even that great, yet KSP 2 runs at a consistent 60 FPS for me... Not sure how yours is having trouble..

I dropped 0$ on hardware for this game and it ran fine (especially after FS!)

59 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

That works for a game already past 1.0. Not for an Early Access borderline unplayable preview build of what's yet to become a videogame (current KSP2)

It's this kind of exageration that makes it understandable why they wouldn't want to engage with the community right now. You hurt your credibility by making claims like this. 0.2+ has been quite playable. Not bug free, but easily playable for 100+ hours as a solid game with the addition of the science and mission objectives.

5 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

One thing I keep asking and never getting an answer to is "Why are you still Researching a bug that's been around since launch".  What exactly are they researching, and why haven't they been able to nail down the cause?

Recall our little miscommunication about wobble being fixed, in the now locked thread? I don't want to restart it here again, but you're getting close to what I was trying to say there, among other things. KSP 2 has some major challenges to solve, that KSP 1 didn't have to. Wobble is just one of many things. Here's the link of Nate's reply to my question regarding it.

Notice the last few words... under construction. The re-entry heating dev chat had a similar tone. In an ideal world, those end solutions would already be implemented by now, and they'd just shovel features on top of them. In realistic world, those haven't been solved yet. And, I repeat, they aren't easy to solve. I'm just speculating here, but when they mention the word research, they are investigating how to do it.

Edited by cocoscacao

32 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

As I've posted a zillion times out here:

• AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 core
  • GeForce RTX 2060 Super
  • 32 GB RAM

cpu is from 7-19, gpu is from GPU is from 7-19

computer parts was 3 years old when the game released

by the time ksp 2 released GPU was 2 gens old and the CPU 3 gens old..

The computer may very well have been in the performance mid range name a while ago just before last quarter of 2023 at the time but has lost that quite a bit ago at this point.. but this is absolutely not to say ksp 2 performance is stellar.

i recently did a cleaning of my entire saves log and wiped it clean cause of a weird bug that

yeah... anyway...

the issue is CPU utilization then GPU for your case if i haven't said it another post that got closed...

from what i know the cpu/gpu combo can do like 1080p or 1440p, but you will hit a CPU limit as of right now, but you shouldn't really be hitting 15fps, a laptop i tested with 150+ parts was 12-15fps with like 10400h and 1650 laptop.. much worse specs in current version.