Take Two Interactive (Rockstar, 2K, Private Division) canceling games, ending projects and laying off 5% of its workforce

Xindar

Just now, cocoscacao said:

Yes. You could do physical warp, but not time warp... and chutes worked fine.

I wouldn't exactly say  that chutes worked fine in KSP1 under physics time warp.  If the forces on them weren't too strong they'd often be OK, but on quite a few occasions I'd have them rip off if I deployed them under time warp but not if I did it at 1X. The main chute deployment at 1000m would also sometimes yank either the chutes or the parts they were attached to off if it happened under time warp, so I would always slow down to 1X when crossing that boundary.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

I wouldn't exactly say  that chutes worked fine in KSP1 under physics time warp.  If the forces on them weren't too strong they'd often be OK, but on quite a few occasions I'd have them rip off if I deployed them under time warp but not if I did it at 1X. The main chute deployment at 1000m would also sometimes yank either the chutes or the parts they were attached to off if it happened under time warp, so I would always slow down to 1X when crossing that boundary.

My craft would explode every time I would try to land with chutes in the ocean under physics timewarp. I now don't even timewarp in KSP 2 in atmosphere even though it works perfectly for me in the sequel lol

Edited by NexusHelium

13 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

This was how I discovered superluminal speed in ksp1 

Posted (edited)

Anyway it seems the financials are out and they reported an over 2 billion impairment loss in Q4 and total loss of near 3 billion that I am quite sure wasn't there in Q3.

https://ir.take2games.com/static-files/c189ec33-cb0d-44a0-8d20-2d3352836999

Page 17 shows 2.7 billion loss in Q4 alone. That's rather eyebrow raising to say the least.

This guy is restreamimg the conference call now, it's live now:

Edited by Pulstar

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, LittleBitMore said:

EfBWeoG.png

KSP2 is not mentioned here, but it seems to imply (if I'm understanding this slide correctly) that there are several projects not specifically mentioned but still underway

I believe they don't list EA released titles in that. That was my impression after reading the prior quarter releases 2-ish weeks ago. My memory could be playing tricks here.

Still there is so far nothing more specific than just vague references to "reorganization" and "cost reduction program".

Edited by Pulstar

Here I've been, having never cared about let alone listened to an earnings report for any company before, counting the hours until this livestream just to catch a glimpse of KSP2 news. Do I need to touch grass?

4 minutes ago, Pulstar said:

I believe they don't list EA released titles in that.

They do if they have impact on earnings estimates. But the thing we can say with certainty is that T2 is not expecting KSP2 in FY2025. Which isn't a surprise either way.

The speaker has mentioned several cut titles and restructuring, but no specific names mentioned.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

nuff said.

Screenshot-2024-05-16-221031.png

The game is dead... The image you posted is the ONLY reference to KSP2 and ZERO mention of Intercept. Also, this is one of the few references to Private Division, no mention of KSP2 even though they mention released games.

Edited by TickleMyMary

Posted (edited)
Just now, TickleMyMary said:

Screenshot-2024-05-16-221031.png

The game is dead... The image you posted is the ONLY reference to KSP2 and ZERO mention of Intercept. Also, this is one of the only references to Private Division, no mention of KSP2 even though they mention released games.

I think the most damning thing that was said on the call was when they acknowledged that several large projects were in fact cancelled, but without calling any single one of them out.

Edited by Scarecrow71

It's worth noting that KSP2 was never listed as an independent title. Here's a snippet from Q3 2023 report.

image.png

Immersive Core still has 22 titles in flight in the latest report. KSP2 is no longer one of the bullet points, but clearly, neither are most of these 22 titles for the FY 2025-2027. Only the ones with highest impact or impending releases are listed.

We have it confirmed now that KSP2 is not planned for FY2025. It was obvious from the rate at which EA progressed even if Intercept didn't close, however. So there is really no news on what they're planning to do with KSP2. Whether it's one of the 7 titles they've said were canceled, or if it's on ice pending transfer to another studio at some point in the future. Both of these options are still possible given the report.

7 minutes ago, K^2 said:

It's worth noting that KSP2 was never listed as an independent title. Here's a snippet from Q3 2023 report.

Your investigations and and input are appreciated... by me at least.

6 hours ago, herbal space program said:

All I can say is that I flew a few dozen missions in FS, many of which required multiple landing attempts with up to 78 parachutes, and not once did I have a parachute fail to deploy because it was bugged.   I  landed with parachutes on Kerbin, Duna, Jool, Eve, and Laythe, and in all cases they behaved as expected. So maybe your problem is platform-specific, or maybe it was actually you who was doing something incorrectly. Either way, I don't think three successive bugged parachute deployments is something any of the fairly large number of people who  like me played through all or most of the FS mission tree experienced, so your representation that this is the general state of the game at this point is plain wrong.

I think it happens when you timewarp and click space for the parachute at the same time

16 minutes ago, K^2 said:

image.png

Immersive Core still has 22 titles in flight in the latest report. KSP2 is no longer one of the bullet points, but clearly, neither are most of these 22 titles for the FY 2025-2027. Only the ones with highest impact or impending releases are listed.

We have it confirmed now that KSP2 is not planned for FY2025. It was obvious from the rate at which EA progressed even if Intercept didn't close, however. So there is really no news on what they're planning to do with KSP2. Whether it's one of the 7 titles they've said were canceled, or if it's on ice pending transfer to another studio at some point in the future. Both of these options are still possible given the report.

Uhh. This section of the report lists only current and future FY releases (read as: anything later than April 1st). Since KSP2 officially launched in FY2024, it's not listed here.

Just now, The Aziz said:

Uhh. This section of the report lists only current and future FY releases (read as: anything later than April 1st). Since KSP2 officially launched in FY2024, it's not listed here.

EA->1.0 would be on that list. Though, possibly under the "New Iterations" heading.

Posted (edited)

They can't seriously be considering funding this any further. It would just be a poor business move. 

I guess they want to quietly put it out to pasture to die a withering death now that it has extracted some of the failed development cost out of the fanbase.

Maybe they'll keep Nate onboard to try and sell some more copies.

I wanted to believe. I waited eagerly for each update up to the EA release, but it became obvious toward the end that they were just dumping it to recoup expenses, and it's clearer every day. Sad.

Edited by TLTay

37 minutes ago, Jaypeg said:

I think it happens when you timewarp and click space for the parachute at the same time

I was assured by at least one fellow forum member above that they were never timewarping when it happened, so why they are afflicted by it and I have not been is a bit of a mystery. It's not like I haven't experienced a bunch of other bugs along the way, but this one has never plagued me through countless parachute landings, in spite of a significant number of reports in the forum.

33 minutes ago, TLTay said:

They can't seriously be considering funding this any further. It would just be a poor business move. 

You mean a game they so far have put in about $50M into and that raised over $10M in Early Access already, before having a full marketing push or having a console release?

Again, I'll say it a little louder for these in the back. KSP2 was on track to be a positive RoI despite all of the delays even with existing leadership. If T2/PD really believed that Intercept was being mismanaged, they needed to replace 3-4 people to create the minimal disruption to the project.

The Intercept layoffs had absolutely nothing to do with T2 having doubts about KSP2's financials. This is purely about cutting costs. T2 just posted a $2.9B loss. Their operating costs shot up from $1B in 2023 to over $3B in 2024FY. The interest on loans was $14M in 2022, $140M in 2023, and $100M in 2024FY. The company has been borrowing and hiring aggressively over the 2020-2023, and currently cannot be sustaining these expenses. They had to cut costs dramatically for 2025FY, because GTA VI isn't shipping until 2026FY. And that's the ENTIRE reason for KSP2 getting suspended.

To not come back to KSP2 development the moment the situation changes would be just leaving money on the table. T2 simply has bigger problems right now than smaller titles PD normally handles.

Interesting news.

Take-Two CEO says he's 'not trying to be cute or difficult' with vague answers about the fate of the Kerbal and OlliOlli studios, but is kind of being cute and difficult

Take-Two says it hasn't closed Intercept Games or Roll7, two studios it was reported to have closed, but won't elaborate.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/intercept-roll7-closures-update/

Well... Perhaps, just perhaps, the backslash had some influence on the matter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.