Some Improvements on the Way

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RayneCloud said:

With respect Vanamonde, how do we do that, knowing that the topic of this thread, is no longer (and may never be) relevant?  There's not going to be any new patches coming, let alone with what was promised, for quite some time, until the former staff is absorbed in to PD  (if they are) or if some how they manage to sell the IP (they wont) to someone else. We're going to be sitting here wondering for a lot longer than we have been for the last 4 months.

Surely if the topic of this thread is no longer relevant, there's simply no reason to post in this thread and just leave this thread be? Rather, there's plenty of other threads that are more on topic to the current discussions of this thread.

EDIT: I've just realised the irony that I'm advocating to not bother posting on this thread as it'll be off topic and in doing so, I'm posting off-topic material on this thread. Woops...

Edited by ttikkoo
irony

On 5/1/2024 at 3:05 AM, PDCWolf said:

Love how it's always either the strawman or the hyperbole with these "arguments".

To me, that looks like a mirror.

11 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And once again, thats not what I meant.  Tempers are flaring, personal insults are being thrown around.  I'm wondering why you guys haven't stepped in yet to calm that down.

Cynical wording often isn't accounted as insult in various communities including the famous Reddit. Intellectual insults are rather complicated to moderate as the borders blur out over the sentences and paragraphs turning out to be sarcasm in the end of a post or a part of it before realized. Thus proofing that even intellectual people just do want to beat up each other because they felt misunderstood and can't control their behavior perfectly fine at times. Guess, emotions need to go somewhere.

A good example is my answer of the first quote I made. It's edgy at worst, but you know what I mean.

/thread

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

What I don't get is the lack of the forum moderators - Vanamonde, Gargamel, et al - not jumping into some of these threads and calming people down.  I don't mean them giving official statements, but helping to put out some of the emotional fires springing up.  That's just...odd?

They get that emotions are running high and its best to let everyone accept and digest the information. Most peole are not mentally in the correct position to think about this logically. Their beloved game has just been ripped out of their hands!

I know I'm about to sound like I'm on my high horse, but I promise you I am just trying to show my perspective; I get that there are a lot of younger people here that got introduced to KSP with KSP2. I'm guessing a lot of you have not been through absolute end game capitalism layoffs like this. Trust me when It happened to me the first time, It took me a LONG time to accept what had happened. Now I'm jaded as eff. I imagine the moderation team is in the same boat. I spoke with @Vanamonde and he mentioned he has been a lead mod for over a decade. You cannot work for that long without having some absolute curve-balls thrown at you. As Calvin's dad from Calvin and Hobbes would say "it builds character!"

I hope everyone can find peace with the horrible news we were all given. Remember, tomorrow is another day, the world is still turning!

Edited by Meecrob

To get back on topic:

I'd be curious to hear Nate's thoughts on the developing story since he posted this thread.  To be very clear, I am not talking about him divulging whether or not he knew, or if he has any further information on the layoffs/future of the franchise.  I am just wondering how the news impacted his telling us things were moving along, and if he now feels that this thread was a bit premature?  I know he couldn't look into the future when he wrote it (several days before the news broke), and there isn't anything he can do to change either what he wrote or what is happening.  But I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on how the news impacts - again, in his own opinion - what he wrote.

13 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Because multiple people, including Vanamonde, made comments about how they don't have any information about what is going on any more than the rest of us do.  And that was not what I asked.

No, you asked about harassment which Vanamonde addressed in the sentence directly preceding the one you're referring to here.

43 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

At this point, I'm questioning if we will get any news at all.

We got a bunch of bitter, horrible tasting blobs two days ago and then a tasteless blob as a pallet cleanser of sorts to chew on yesterday.

Hopefully we get something good today...

(sorry for the food analogies. I just had lunch lol :) )

48 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

No, you asked about harassment which Vanamonde addressed in the sentence directly preceding the one you're referring to here.

Did you read your own post to me?  You literally asked "what I was asking about".  And considering multiple people thought I originally asked for an explanation as to what was happening with IG yesterday, I thought it was imperative and needed to indicate that no, I wasn't looking for that, but rather I was wondering why the mods hadn't stepped in to deal with the high emotions and flame wars coming about as a result of what was happening.  Vanamonde himself stated he has a day job, but then went on and stated he had no further information, which was NOT what I was looking for.

Beyond that, I've got nothing for you.  If that's not a good enough explanation, then I don't know what is.  I'm tired of having to defend myself for asking what was supposed to be a simple question.  And I'm tired of having to explain myself to everyone in this thread time and again over what I was originally asking for.

I'm done.  Leave me alone.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I'd be curious to hear Nate's thoughts on the developing story since he posted this thread.  To be very clear, I am not talking about him divulging whether or not he knew, or if he has any further information on the layoffs/future of the franchise.  I am just wondering how the news impacted his telling us things were moving along, and if he now feels that this thread was a bit premature?  I know he couldn't look into the future when he wrote it (several days before the news broke), and there isn't anything he can do to change either what he wrote or what is happening.  But I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on how the news impacts - again, in his own opinion - what he wrote.

Assuming he really didn't know what was coming when he wrote this forum post a week ago, it's a good bet Nate is feeling like a broken man right now. His vision of KSP 2 is in tatters and the studio that he helped build is no more. He's almost certainly sick to his stomach about his soon-to-be unemployed staff, many of whom he likely recruited himself on the promise of his vision for the game. Many of them will have left high paying jobs in software, aerospace and other game dev companies to join Intercept.  His reputation is in pieces and his future in game development is very uncertain. Even if he somehow falls upwards into Private Division into some sort of executive job, it will likely be some sort of token 'Product evangelist' role for the remnants of the Kerbal IP, probably more out of embarrassment on PD's part and to deflect from their own poor judgement on KSP2's development.

Even if he was authorized to make a statement by Take2 legal, I very much doubt he would have the stomach to say anything. He likely just wants to crawl into a hole somewhere.

I would love for the whole story of what happened in KSP2's development to come out, it is surely a fascinating tale. Even with NDA's, I'm confident people will talk. The game dev world of Seattle is small. People gossip, especially people with an axe to grind and who devoted years of their professional lives to a project that was so badly mismanaged and eventually canned by Take2. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest in the next few weeks if we start to see anonymous posts on this forum or Reddit from disgruntled former devs to justify their roles in what happened. Paul Furio, the ex-Technical Director already seems eager to explain his side of things on LinkedIn and Reddit. Non-disclosure agreements be damned, these people have their professional reputations to salvage and will be desperate to tell their side of the story.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Westinghouse said:

Assuming he really didn't know what was coming when he wrote this forum post a week ago, it's a good bet Nate is feeling like a broken man right now. His vision of KSP 2 is in tatters and the studio that he helped build is no more. He's almost certainly sick to his stomach about his soon-to-be unemployed staff, many of whom he likely recruited himself on the promise of his vision for the game. Many of them will have left high paying jobs in software, aerospace and other game dev companies to join Intercept.  His reputation is in pieces and his future in game development is very uncertain. Even if he somehow falls upwards into Private Division into some sort of executive job, it will likely be some sort of token 'Product evangelist' role for the remnants of the Kerbal IP, probably more out of embarrassment on PD's part and to deflect from their own poor judgement on KSP2's development.

[...further violins playing in the background...]

Dude, no offense, I'm sure you're a great person, but this is why the scam succeeded, because of the sugarcoating that some put on a scam. If everyone put real pressure and demanded results for what they paid at a high price, the cracks would've shown sooner.

Where the hell did you get all this from?

Feeling defeated, feeling broken, his reputation, his vision? Oh my...

What are you talking about? Maybe it's another Nate, and not Nate aka "in the coming weeks, not months"

Edited by GGG-GoodGuyGreg

9 hours ago, vanlock said:

I'm incredibly sad for the project, for this beautiful game and tool and for all the people loosing their jobs because of greedy corp "optimizing" their revenues.

I wish good luck to everyone at Intercept. I Really hope the entire Kerbal  IP  is not locked down in the hands of  Take² ...

I hope BlackRack's work can be shared with the modding community. 

I mean, unless there's some legal, binding reason that BlackRack cannot develop mods, like he has in the past. I guess that would be up-to him as to whether he'd want to continue to commit his free time to a 'dead' game.

That said with his and Chris (Nertea) hands on experience with the game perhaps that's something of an avenue as to how KSP2 could live on after the supposed demise of Intercept.

There are a fair few of the developers that are passionate about the project just from an artistic and creative standpoint that its entirely possible mods could leverage a lot of the bones of the game.

But, like I said that depends as to whether creators want to give time to a game that's been shelved.

Two years ago I was censured when I said that the failure to meet the deadlines was a terrible omen.

Finally they realized that they were financing a "Black Hole" and were only receiving promises and new and unfulfilled dates. 

They failed, simple as that. And they miraculously managed to extend the fantasy for another year, enough to pay for the trip along with the hotel, make corporate videos and justify travel expenses.

They quintupled (and I'm falling short) the original Latin American team that developed KSP1, and sold the idea of the multiplayer concept knowing that they DIDN'T HAVE A PLAN AT ALL ON THAT SUBJECT. 

They finally realized and discovered them.

Now come and suspend my account like you did then. I WAS RIGHT. 

THE END.

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Vanamonde himself stated he has a day job, but then went on and stated he had no further information, which was NOT what I was looking for.

And that somehow nullifies their statement about having a day job? You treated Vanamonde's response like they had dodged answering your question.

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I'm done.  Leave me alone.

Alright, cya o7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dprostock said:

I WAS RIGHT

Not yet you aren't. You can boast all you want when we get some kind of word from the sides, but until then, I wouldn't go around saying that with a total 100% certainty.

But back to the topic. If development does cease. I'm really hoping to see those clouds before it stops. I don't think it will altogether but IF it does... you gotta have priorities :D

Edited by NexusHelium

2 hours ago, NexusHelium said:

Not yet you aren't. You can boast all you want when we get some kind of word from the sides, but until then, I wouldn't go around saying that with a total 100% certainty.

But back to the topic. If development does cease. I'm really hoping to see those clouds before it stops. I don't think it will altogether but IF it does... you gotta have priorities :D

That's why some make money in the market and others look on from the outside...

Sit and wait for someone to bother to communicate something. Some have "Golden Parachutes" and won't even bother to say goodbye, and others will have non-disclosure agreements.

It's your mindset that has allowed them to keep going for years knowing that you would wait decades and give them your money in exchange for... nothing! 

I ask you, how long will you wait for something to be communicated to you? A decade? A century? 

I'm glad I realized in 2021 what the goal of the development was and didn't give them my money, which I'm sure you've given them... No? 

4 hours ago, dprostock said:

Two years ago I was censured when I said that the failure to meet the deadlines was a terrible omen.

Finally they realized that they were financing a "Black Hole" and were only receiving promises and new and unfulfilled dates. 

They failed, simple as that. And they miraculously managed to extend the fantasy for another year, enough to pay for the trip along with the hotel, make corporate videos and justify travel expenses.

They quintupled (and I'm falling short) the original Latin American team that developed KSP1, and sold the idea of the multiplayer concept knowing that they DIDN'T HAVE A PLAN AT ALL ON THAT SUBJECT. 

They finally realized and discovered them.

Now come and suspend my account like you did then. I WAS RIGHT. 

THE END.

correct me if I'm wrong, but if they suspended your account and you're still here, doesn't that mean you evaded a ban? and you admitted to it?

3 minutes ago, LittleBitMore said:

correct me if I'm wrong, but if they suspended your account and you're still here, doesn't that mean you evaded a ban? and you admitted to it?

They deleted the post where I gave my opinion on where the development was going and suspended me for a week with a warning not to talk about it anymore.

Now I don't care, this is dead, and the people who moderated already have their checks and are emptying the desks.  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dprostock said:

Now I don't care, this is dead, and the people who moderated already have their checks and are emptying the desks.  

You know that the moderation is done by volunteers that are not affiliated by IG and that are not paid? And that's the forum isn't going anywhere?

Edited by Spicat

1 minute ago, Spicat said:

You know that the moderation is done by volunteers that are not affiliated by IG and that are not paid? And that's the forum isn't going anywhere?

Santa Claus is the parents.

54 minutes ago, dprostock said:

Santa Claus is the parents.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here.

I'm just confused at this point.

Just now, NexusHelium said:

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here.

I'm just confused at this point.

Enjoy the moment after being forced to keep quiet about a familiar situation. 

2 hours ago, dprostock said:

WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING CHECKS ALL THIS TIME?!??!

3 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Wait. I want money for keeping an eye on people being angry.

can you send me one? ;) 

25 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Posts like this are why we need an upvote mechanic.  I literally dropped what I was eating and laughed at this.