*** CANCELLED *** Paul Furio AMA on Reddit July 26th at noon PDT

CANCELLED

Original post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/s/Eg5kmDX49r

Paul Furio, the former technical director for KSP2, will be doing an AMA on Reddit on July 26th at noon (12:00 pm) Pacific Time.

You can be sure that the big burning questions will be blocked by an NDA repsonse, but something should still come out of it.

Edited by AlphaMensae
AMA Cancelled

Even with whatever NDA this guy is under he has provided some spicy insights on Reddit over the past year. We also should remember he was let go in 2023 and wasn't part of the mass layoffs that killed off IG as a whole. I wonder if that will impact how he can discuss the studio closure compared to those who were employed at the time. Either way, I'm excited to tune in.

This is... brave. Being the first one to raise his hand in front of all the fans.

He's said that the vitriol will be ignored, but I can't help but wonder if he's *hoping* for a specific question or two, because there's something he wants to tell the fans.

After his corporate post on LinkedIn post firing, where he says he's so good he works himself out of jobs (funny when you consider KSP2) I doubt he's gonna answer anything useful. I did shoot him a question that should be answerable entirely from the technical side, but I'm not sure if that bit is under NDA too.

Feels like it's gonna be more wood for the fire.

I've got nothing to ask him (except his favorite ice cream flavor or if he's tired today or other burning questions like that) but I'm curious to see his answers to whatever he is asked.

Not expecting much, but I never really do. Hey it's gotten me this far.

Mmmm, interesting.

It sounds like KSP2 hadn't been killed entirely but instead kept being developed with a much smaller team and not everyone has been laid off. I'm wondering whether we could ask him some questions about 0.2.3's state and the state of the WIP stuff that probably got discontinued after the layoff (eg. Blackrack's new KSP2 clouds).

54 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Not expecting much, but I never really do. Hey it's gotten me this far.

That's also true for me, probably a reason for me not being desperately dissapointed after the initial EA. For a game like KSP2 that has a lot of initial promises one should learn not to set their expectations too high. Still it has improved a lot over the last year and is now just as fun as KSP1 for me.

10 minutes ago, Alpha_star said:

It sounds like KSP2 hadn't been killed entirely but instead kept being developed with a much smaller team and not everyone has been laid off. I'm wondering whether we could ask him some questions about 0.2.3's state and the state of the WIP stuff that probably got discontinued after the layoff (eg. Blackrack's new KSP2 clouds).

Hold up. Everyone has been laid off and KSP2 is currently a dead game. This is a former dev who started work on the game in 2020 and was let go by the studio in early-ish 2023 and is just doing an AMA on his own. Think of it like a post-mortem of sorts, I guess.

In case you or anyone is confused by this I am pasting the latest news ping from the official KSP2 Discord:

As of Friday the 28th of June, Intercept Games is no longer working on KSP2. We have no information about what might happen to the game or the IP in the future. Take-Two, which owns the game, has provided no information regarding the future of the project

16 minutes ago, RileyHef said:

Hold up. Everyone has been laid off and KSP2 is currently a dead game. This is a former dev who started work on the game in 2020 and was let go by the studio in early-ish 2023 and is just doing an AMA on his own. Think of it like a post-mortem of sorts, I guess.

In case you or anyone is confused by this I am pasting the latest news ping from the official KSP2 Discord:

Sure I might be over-optimistic. But I personally think of this layoff as yet another studio reform and after which KSP2 is still being developed just with a much smaller team. IG is now gone and many of the devs are the same but some would probably keep on, just because it would be a pity to abandon such an influencial franchise so soon.

He's trying to get attention for his music album release. that's all. he will answer questions about any guitar behind him.

he's got nothing to tell, as he was gone in 2023 already.

just another ksp2 fraud is all.

7 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

Sure I might be over-optimistic. But I personally think of this layoff as yet another studio reform and after which KSP2 is still being developed just with a much smaller team. IG is now gone and many of the devs are the same but some would probably keep on, just because it would be a pity to abandon such an influencial franchise so soon.

No one has touched the code in any of the visible branches since the WARN went effective.

4 hours ago, Izny said:

he's got nothing to tell, as he was gone in 2023 already.

Provided he can talk about it, he was the lead engineer until shortly after release... so probably most of the work ever done on KSP2 in its single year of life was laid out by him at least in concept. He might not be able to comment on workplace politics, or call Nate a scammer, or whatever... but he might be able to tell us some further details on why KSP2 was such a low aiming mess and why they made such crap technical decisions.

9 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

It sounds like KSP2 hadn't been killed entirely but instead kept being developed with a much smaller team and not everyone has been laid off.

Categorically and unquestionably false.  The entire studio has been laid off, with no remaining employees.  The WARN notification literally stated the studio was shut down.  No amount of copium/hopium will make this not true.

Secondarily to that, and to one of your other points in this statement - with no studio and no employees, there is nobody there to work on KSP2.  Which means it is not being developed any further.  Again, no amount of copium/hopium will change that.

I'm wondering whether we could ask him some questions about 0.2.3's state and the state of the WIP stuff that probably got discontinued after the layoff (eg. Blackrack's new KSP2 clouds).

It's an AMA, so you can ask him anything you want.  The problem is that he was pushed out during the very early stages of EA, which means he will have no knowledge of anything that has happened since he was fired other than what all of us know.  And that's assuming he isn't under some wild NDA preventing him from talking about anything.

For a game like KSP2 that has a lot of initial promises one should learn not to set their expectations too high.

The expectations weren't set by the community though.  TT/PD/IG set high expectations for the sequel, and Nate did a wonderful job of over-hyping an alpha-level tech demo.  We followed what we were told/given.  If anyone is to blame for setting too-high expectations, it's the company.

8 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

But I personally think of this layoff as yet another studio reform and after which KSP2 is still being developed just with a much smaller team.

KSP1 is not being further developed.  Period.  At all, by anyone, at this time.  Unless the IP is sold to another studio, we won't ever see KSP2.  Believe me when I say that I hope I am seriously wrong on that, because this franchise has so much potential to be as big as GTA, if only TT would recognize that.  But for now, it isn't being developed.

8 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

IG is now gone and many of the devs are the same but some would probably keep on, just because it would be a pity to abandon such an influencial franchise so soon.

It cannot be overstated, or stated enough, that there is no more IG, and there are no employees from IG that have been retained.  Period.

26 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Categorically and unquestionably false.  The entire studio has been laid off, with no remaining employees.  The WARN notification literally stated the studio was shut down.  No amount of copium/hopium will make this not true.

Secondarily to that, and to one of your other points in this statement - with no studio and no employees, there is nobody there to work on KSP2.  Which means it is not being developed any further.  Again, no amount of copium/hopium will change that.

It's an AMA, so you can ask him anything you want.  The problem is that he was pushed out during the very early stages of EA, which means he will have no knowledge of anything that has happened since he was fired other than what all of us know.  And that's assuming he isn't under some wild NDA preventing him from talking about anything.

The expectations weren't set by the community though.  TT/PD/IG set high expectations for the sequel, and Nate did a wonderful job of over-hyping an alpha-level tech demo.  We followed what we were told/given.  If anyone is to blame for setting too-high expectations, it's the company.

KSP1 is not being further developed.  Period.  At all, by anyone, at this time.  Unless the IP is sold to another studio, we won't ever see KSP2.  Believe me when I say that I hope I am seriously wrong on that, because this franchise has so much potential to be as big as GTA, if only TT would recognize that.  But for now, it isn't being developed.

It cannot be overstated, or stated enough, that there is no more IG, and there are no employees from IG that have been retained.  Period.

The WARN notice was simply them being given notice about being laid off. We have no idea what happened to everyone after that. Obviously a number of people did indeed get laid off and left Take Two/PD based on their posts online. Some others may have had success bidding in internal job offerings and are still at Take Two as a result and only they know what they are doing now. 

They're all gone, even Nate. They might find jobs elsewhere, maybe even with Take2, but IG and KSP2 is dead.

Private Division as whole is being shut down as it has been a big disappoinment for Take2. Take2 was trying to tap into the indie game hype with the Private Division label, but instead just got burned with big losses. KSP2 is just an example, T2 gave Star Theory 2 years to make a big hit, following in the footsteps of KSP2. Instead, years went by without anything to show for it, then finally a woefully incomplete and broken EA was released which quickly sunk out of sight. Take2 finally had enough and didn't want to pour more millions into a black hole, so the plug was pulled.

Take2 is trying to shop the IP around, so far with no takers.

10 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

Mmmm, interesting.

It sounds like KSP2 hadn't been killed entirely but instead kept being developed with a much smaller team and not everyone has been laid off. I'm wondering whether we could ask him some questions about 0.2.3's state and the state of the WIP stuff that probably got discontinued after the layoff (eg. Blackrack's new KSP2 clouds).

That's also true for me, probably a reason for me not being desperately dissapointed after the initial EA. For a game like KSP2 that has a lot of initial promises one should learn not to set their expectations too high. Still it has improved a lot over the last year and is now just as fun as KSP1 for me.

I wouldn't read too much into this: Furio is no longer working with Take 2 and AFAIK is doing this in an unofficial capacity. Furio likely doesn't have any information about 0.2.3 or other WIP projects prior to when he was let go in 2023.

Edited by DunaManiac

36 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

The WARN notice was simply them being given notice about being laid off. We have no idea what happened to everyone after that. Obviously a number of people did indeed get laid off and left Take Two/PD based on their posts online. Some others may have had success bidding in internal job offerings and are still at Take Two as a result and only they know what they are doing now. 

Out of all the linkedin profiles, the only profile that had jumped from IG to PD (and then got laid off anyway) was Nate. If any other person went through what you said, they haven't reflected it publicly on their profiles.

Also, Paul has already replied to some stuff. You can check it here: https://www.reddit.com/user/WatchClarkBand/comments/ The only two relevant things he confirmed is He was fired 18 months ago (January '23) and that T2 has nothing to do with him hosting the AMA (which should put @Alpha_star's suspicion that we could ask him about the future of the game to rest)

34 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Out of all the linkedin profiles, the only profile that had jumped from IG to PD (and then got laid off anyway) was Nate. If any other person went through what you said, they haven't reflected it publicly on their profiles.

Also, Paul has already replied to some stuff. You can check it here: https://www.reddit.com/user/WatchClarkBand/comments/ The only two relevant things he confirmed is He was fired 18 months ago (January '23) and that T2 has nothing to do with him hosting the AMA (which should put @Alpha_star's suspicion that we could ask him about the future of the game to rest)

You have the linked in profiles of the entire dev team? And have checked them all?

Wow that’s impressive. 

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

That is a good point.  With the exceptions of Mike, Dakota, and Nate, we don't know if anyone inside IG was able to secure continued employment through Take Two.  However, Nate was able to transfer internally...and he was eventually let go.  And Take Two did announce at roughly the same time that they were letting a significant portion of their overall corporate-wide staff go.  So while I agree that this is correct in theory, the odds are pretty long that anyone from IG is still around at Take Two.  Not impossible, but certainly not feasible.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Don't even try to pretend this thread hasn't turned into the same thing it always does and nobody here talks about the ama anymore

Right? It's honestly impressive how delusional some still are about the game's status. The endless arguing about it is a waste of everyone's time.

What isn't a total waste is this AMA, though. I think this is a great opportunity to further confirm many of the points brought up in Shadowzone's video. Not that I do not trust the content of that video, but rather any additional info that insiders can provide will better build the narrative that T2/PD/IG is clearly trying to keep under wraps. I think we deserve to know what really happened and any perspectives former staff can provide should be listened to. As a result I hope future dev teams, publishers, and consumers will learn from the mess that KSP2 was.

THE AMA HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

^Paul Furio's own words.

TL;DR: he says someone sent him an email showing him some of the answers he was allegedly ready to give could actually be legally troublesome. So he cancels the AMA. The rest of the post is womp womp basically.