What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today? I spent over three hours attempting a complex Minmus mission only to discover I didn't have enough Delta-V and then the game crashed when I tried to quickload to before the crew launched. I then spent ten more minutes trying to get rid of this big black "ghost box" on my monitor that appeared after the game crashed.

KSP is frustrating sometimes. :P

Edited by TwoCalories

Overnight, I took a break from playing KSP (!!) and wrote a small Python program to 'cleanse' various add-on MODULEs from craft, in transit through my Export directory, destined for KerbalX.

It means that I can keep e.g. AtmosphericAutopilot, RasterPropMonitor, MAS and SCANsat installed but purge traces of those before publishing vanilla craft to KerbalX.

The recently-installed SCANsat was the add-on that pushed me over the edge.

Spoiler

To wit, a MODULE such as this, inserted by MAS, simply gets removed:

MODULE
    {
        name = MASFlightComputer
        isEnabled = True
        flightComputerId =
        shipDescription = 1:H 2:V 3:R 4:antenna F:HORZ R:VERT
        stagingEnabled = True
        EVENTS
        {
        }
        ACTIONS
        {
        }
        UPGRADESAPPLIED
        {
        }
    }

Edited by Hotel26

Made a reusable suborbital spaceplane for use as a trainer. It's got some quirks to it, especially under rocket power, but it can, in theory, be an SSTO.

67rv35s.png

Scenic moment at apogee

reWGQ46.png

Or, you can do two ballistic hops with a turn around after the first one to return home.

582jlu4.png

Prepping for reentry and a maneuver to steer back to the KSC

3Z7DACO.png

3 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Made a reusable suborbital spaceplane for use as a trainer. It's got some quirks to it, especially under rocket power, but it can, in theory, be an SSTO.

Looks like you've got a pair of Panther engines inboard for atmospheric flight and...I can't tell what kind of engine you have for rocket flight. They look like Shrimps? Guessing I'm completely off the mark there - an SRB wouldn't be what you'd want to use anyway, because you'd then have the issue of what to do when it was time to come back down again.

The rocket engines look like they're out of vertical alignment with your center of mass, just at a glance. That might be causing whatever issues you're experiencing. What other "quirks" does the craft have?

It's a very nice looking spaceplane.

Edited by capi3101

2 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Looks like you've got a pair of Panther engines inboard for atmospheric flight and...I can't tell what kind of engine you have for rocket flight. They look like Shrimps? Guessing I'm completely off the mark there - an SRB wouldn't be what you'd want to use anyway, because you'd then have the issue of what to do when it was time to come back down again.

The rocket engines look like they're out of vertical alignment with your center of mass, just at a glance. That might be causing whatever issues you're experiencing. What other "quirks" does the craft have?

It's a very nice looking spaceplane.

I run mod heavy, so the rockets are reskinned Vectors by Restock, and I don't remember what the jets are.

Yeah, I noticed the off-axis thrust issue as I left the atmosphere under rocket power. Not sure how I can fix that while keeping the aesthetic I wanted. Will look into it.

Other quirks are that it's not very stable in yaw. Might change out the vertical stabs and shift them more upright.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Yeah, I noticed the off-axis thrust issue as I left the atmosphere under rocket power. Not sure how I can fix that while keeping the aesthetic I wanted. Will look into it.

Other quirks are that it's not very stable in yaw. Might change out the vertical stabs and shift them more upright.

Yeah, I was going to say that you needed to straighten up the stabilizer a bit and consider swapping them out with an all-moving part such as a stock Tail Fin, or at least adding a bit more in terms of movable rudder.

You might be able to clip the Vectors into the wings, though that might interfere with the large elevons. The other alternative I can suggest would be placing a second pair above the wing. You'd have to turn whatever nacelle bit you stuck it onto into the wing slightly to maintain your aesthetic, and then you'd have to be able to fuel the fresh pair of engines (which is usually not that big of a deal).

On 10/22/2023 at 5:35 PM, DunaManiac said:

One of my favorite images I've taken recently: a grainy, low resolution photo from Eve. Visible here is a significant mountain range in an area near the Eastern sea's northern tip.

What mod are you using to get that image?

I took a break from Wrong Red Moon and played my career save. I landed on Minmus for the first time in that save. I have been too bored with that world to try to do it, so I finally did.  When I landed, I was about to quicksave, and then- my game crashed. No, really. I press alt f5, the game freezes, and it's gone.  Shouldn't be too much trouble, though, because I quicksaved from 5 minutes before. 

Before I tried my career world, here's what I did for Wrong Red Moon:

The Korolev 4 mission is the Minmus equivalent of Apollo 8, orbiting but not landing.

I made an old-timey-looking newspaper from the American perspective in this space race. Will be putting it on the above post shortly.

22 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I run mod heavy, so the rockets are reskinned Vectors by Restock, and I don't remember what the jets are.

To me it looks to be too short so it wants to "hunt"left and right, and the controls are too big which makes it touchy.   Swapping the locations of the jets and rockets might help too.

Spoiler

Pardon the late response, I was traveling for a week 

On 10/22/2023 at 6:11 PM, Great Liao said:

Do you mind sharing what planet pack you are using?

As RevanX_LSR said it is GPP.  I have it resized to x2.5 scale. If you have not heard of it yet, see also JNSQ by the same folks. A different take on the stock system.

With the Duna launch window fast approaching, I launched my first probe to orbit. The transfer is currently going to be performed in 90 days, the spacecraft is in orbit mainly to check kraken attacks (Have been having some issues lately with clipped baguette fuel tanks). Depending on power generation and hydrogen depletion, I might actually send this probe to minmus or other such locations instead of duna, and instead send a mostly identical replacement a few days before transfer. Also currently working on my second probe of this window, a slightly more ambitious mission including an entry probe, and more detailed exploration of Ike.

ypefd3v.jpgpEYwSq6.jpg

On 10/20/2023 at 11:49 PM, Toaster355 said:

I did more work on an upcoming mission; I could have FINISHED it if it weren't for the game crashing twice and making me give up for the day. :mad:

________

Here's a peek:

Cikzmh8.png

Okay I'd like to have your modlist for the graphics.

Duna-2 mission was launched today. This is an atmospheric/lander probe, with a service probe that will act as a relay later in  Duna exploration. It was launched aboard a Delta IV, with Ariane boosters and a weird upper stage with a J-2 engine... Launch was successful, although the System heat boiloff system bugged out and the tanks weren't cooling properly, thus I had to disable that in the game settings. Otherwise, the launch was successful, and even some science around Kerbin was performed. Transfer window is T-88 days, a mere 25 min apart from Duna-1 which is waiting patiently in orbit. Things will get even more chaotic when we launch Duna-3, which will explore Ike in more detail although a landing is not on the agenda for this mission. That will have to be for the next launch window. Meanwhile, things will get busy on the Eve side of things as well, as we have a launch window in just 320 or so days, so not only there will be three missions to Duna but also at least two to Eve. Things are about to get really busy.aYfAQe4.jpg

^Duna-2 on the launch pad.

o8NGJcX.jpg

^Just after launch, altitude around 600m. The Ariane boosters aren't good for the environment.

A3UZEpd.png

^Booster sep. at an altitude of 15,000m. The performance of the decouplers were less than expected, and separation boosters will be included in the future.

sm3g7ws.png

Just after the burnout of the 1st stage, around 57,000m. 

ThploBc.png

The fairing separates automatically at 60 km, revealing the rather ugly payload.

Overall, I am satisfied with the launch and am excited for the transfer burns.

vl6lUXT.png

Completed the transfer of a bunch of science from the surface of Minmus to Skylab. Skylab is now fully stocked with science data and is cranking out frankly ludicrous amounts of science. Following the transfer of the science samples to the station, the sample return probe was destructively deorbited.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

I really need to work on my Falcon Heavy for my Psyche Recreation, which inspired me to try to create a fully reusable, easy-to-fly, completely stock Falcon 9 look-alike.,

It's fully reusable, yes, with no mods. It looks like a Falcon 9, yes. It is rather tricky to fly, or rather, get the second stage into orbit.

I failed one of my goals, not bad. But it led me down a rabbit hole of "how small can I make this thing," and I wanted to try scaling it down the progressive fuel tank sizes. Immediately, I realized a fundamental problem, scaling up the payload a tiny bit means making everything else much much larger. The largest diameter I can make this rocket is 2.5m, because of the size of my Psyche ship and I want it to be mostly to scale. Previously, I worked my heart out on a 1.8m Falcon Heavy, and the best part is it had awesome landing gear, I made a complex Kal sequence and everything! However, while it can get into orbit, it's not reusable like I want it to be and I don't think it could carry Psyche to a near-Duna asteroid.

Yay for my insistence on making this all myself. 

Revamped/added some stuff in my mod. (2.7x scale)

Homeworld body, flew about 4000 kilometers to get this:

L1XpzSj59rBH.png?o=1

From about 3 kilometers up, looking at a volcanic island

qFTDDixORS9h.png?o=1

Vera (not changed since watermel00n's post) viewed from its second moon (innermost is a small moonlet). Moon is only one Vera radii away.

6Ysu07jVC5aj.png?o=1

On the mares of the third moon (Vera+second moon visible)

LdIvjTWwdzhq.png?o=1

Moon of the first gas planet.