What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

7 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

I usually set damping = 2, spring= 1.5. That will help keep wings level when turning. Brakes stronger at the rear... like 80% rear, 60% front. And avoid the large or extra large gear. The multi-axle (bogie) setup is not stable... it vibrates on the ground and slides with no external force. Tweakscale the medium gear for large planes.

14 hours ago, Kimera Industries said:

Friction and brake setting at full for the rear landing gear, zero for the front, and disabled steering for the rear set. Still a little slidey but much more stable. If it creates too much friction, adjust the settings as needed.

Thanks, y'all. I'll give those a go and see if they help.

14 hours ago, Kimera Industries said:

What mods are you using to make the wings dark? Is that an intentional effect to get a space shuttle-like heat shield? Let me know because I have wished for that quite a few times.

I'm using B9 Aerospace Procedural Wings, version 0.44. They were originally a color that matched the Mk2 fuselage with a shuttle-like tile texture underneath; they've changed to that metallic color with one of the later mod updates (I started flying that plane with v. 1.3 - which is not the oldest piece of hardware in my still-used arsenal, that's still the Hellhound 7 rover I designed all the way back in 0.18). There is an option to re-color the wings in the latest version but I haven't fully explored it yet, and in the meantime I kinda like that metallic look to them. B9 is what let me build a cranked arrow wing design for that craft - there's actually three wing pieces making it up.

I do have another mod installed called Textures Unlimited (which I don't recall actually adding to my build) that might also be having an effect.

Yeah, the Auk I was my attempt to prove to myself that you could build a working spaceplane formulaically. I'd say I was successful there. Yet in eight years, the damn landing gear...well, I land it more often than I crash it at least.

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

I'm using B9 Aerospace Procedural Wings, version 0.44. They were originally a color that matched the Mk2 fuselage with a shuttle-like tile texture underneath; they've changed to that metallic color with one of the later mod updates (I started flying that plane with v. 1.3 - which is not the oldest piece of hardware in my still-used arsenal, that's still the Hellhound 7 rover I designed all the way back in 0.18). There is an option to re-color the wings in the latest version but I haven't fully explored it yet, and in the meantime I kinda like that metallic look to them. B9 is what let me build a cranked arrow wing design for that craft - there's actually three wing pieces making it up.

If you have just the baseline B9 wings installed, they will come as white (Although you can change the colour of the different faces, including a shuttle heat-shield like option. Nowever, if you have TU installed, then the wings switch to a silver colour which you can recolour using TU recolour Depot. There is a folder in B9 wings which is called something like TexturesUnlimited.cfg. If you delete that folder, the wings will revert back to their original colour and textures without breaking anything in the save.

26 minutes ago, Kimera Industries said:

I've never used the B9 procedural wing, what's it like? Is it pretty similar to the KSP 2 wings or vastly different?

I have not gotten into KSP 2 yet; as it was when I first starting playing KSP, my current financial situation is keeping me out of it for now. Can't really answer your question, I'm afraid.

I like the B9 procedural wings (of course I've used them for nearly a decade now). You can set their length, chord, tip-length, thickness and sweep numerically and independently of another. Way more flexible than anything stock.

1 minute ago, capi3101 said:

I have not gotten into KSP 2 yet; as it was when I first starting playing KSP, my current financial situation is keeping me out of it for now. Can't really answer your question, I'm afraid.
I like the B9 procedural wings (of course I've used them for nearly a decade now). You can set their length, chord, tip-length, thickness and sweep numerically and independently of another. Way more flexible than anything stock.

Sounds pretty close to how KSP 2 does it. I only know myself because I watch Matt Lowne for that purpose (his KSP 2 and Space This Week) and I feel you about not being able to play it. I would gladly give the money to buy it, but alas, my PC is- indescribable. There's a reason I got it for free and the same reason my graphics are worse than an NES.

Did a 24 car F1 race in KSP. Planet is not stock, it has 38% more gravity for extra chaos and 2.9x the pressure to prevent these rocket cars from going supersonic.

aVQPphKS6ChG.png?o=1

All the cars were left to 'race' without any steering once the structural components holding the cars together was flung away, and KSP physics caused it to spiral into chaos very quickly (this was the most chaotic race)

OByyqjOtJLlz.png?o=1

here was a less chaotic one about 5 seconds from start.

Cars accelerated 0-100m/s in about 8 seconds which is not very fast by F1 standards but their top speed was extremely high.

I will probably redo this without crash damage for a change.

(the cars don't have nose cones as i need a node to release them from)

I took a trip to Iota for a landing at the Droops

uvYWxQy.png

Spoiler

Booster sep and LES jettison

CnfTKkC.png

Second stage carries us to orbit and puts in a very elliptical orbit around Gael

g1KYLcI.png

We separate and then dock the Lander to the fount of the SM. And then we swing around to finish the Trans Iota Burn

YBkJR2f.png

On our way to Iota.

izHo800.png

Spoiler

Capture burn at Iota

2R2kbep.png

Decent of the lander

aFiwa00.png

Bobert gets the science

FkeOWiY.png

We send the lander into the surface for a seismic experiment before leaving

VPvWeCp.png

Home at last

AakTFzY.png

Good chutes

MhKpBfc.png

On 11/15/2023 at 12:25 PM, Janus92 said:

I spent a lot of time building this Starship IVA, and now I get to enjoy it for a trip to Minmus :)

Absolutly Glorious !!! I love it :) happy IVA-ing
Any intentions of realeasing this work sometimes ? would be awesome

On my side, after a good hiatus busy with IRL work, went back to KSP, opened my career save after months, and had like 2 launch windows coming with no spacecraft built, moon base to finish, mission to monitor, some kerbals running out of life support, didn't know what the hell I was doing when I left haha. Even with alarms, doing a lot of mission simultaneously is quite tedious to get back in, after a break :D 

So anyway, I went to fly a bit in IVA in RSS, and continued my tutorial serie about retro styled IVAs. : )

This one covers the DSKY usage, as well as manual rendez-vous instruments only !

Next part will cover docking...

Cheers :) 

Edited by kurgut

screenshot864.png?ex=656d81b0&is=655b0cb

More testing for LSR. This is wallpaper material, although if I were to use it as wallpaper I would position the camera above the water. Camera is only below the water to show undersea terrain.

The ocean is water but the moon (tidally heated by a gas giant) is very far away from the sun and the picture has amplified light.

2 hours ago, kurgut said:

Absolutly Glorious !!! I love it :) happy IVA-ing
Any intentions of realeasing this work sometimes ? would be awesome

On my side, after a good hiatus busy with IRL work, went back to KSP, opened my career save after months, and had like 2 launch windows coming with no spacecraft built, moon base to finish, mission to monitor, some kerbals running out of life support, didn't know what the hell I was doing when I left haha. Even with alarms, doing a lot of mission simultaneously is quite tedious to get back in, after a break :D 

So anyway, I went to fly a bit in IVA in RSS, and continued my tutorial serie about retro styled IVAs. : )

This one covers the DSKY usage, as well as manual rendez-vous instruments only !

Next part will cover docking...

Cheers :) 

IVA'ing is amazing, I agree!

I already released it as part of a kOS guidance mod for the Starship Expansion Project (SEP). When SEP has a new update ready it will also be included in SEP by default.

Link:

https://github.com/Janus1992/KSP_Starship-kOS-Interface

Great job on the DSKY video, that looks like a lot of fun!

Been working on a line of vaguely dieselpunk warplanes. The philosophy behind them is that of flying fortresses, mostly because I like boats and if I have to build planes they might as well do the same things boats do. The planes in the screenshots are beefy ground-assault craft meant to fly straight towards the enemy and absorb damage. There's also a fighter drone in the third picture. It's a lightweight but it's cheap and easy to field in large numbers.

5EK1CbT.png

eWybqKI.png

4nzNXOK.png

1kXTHct.png

Two prototype next-generation Deep Space Exploration Vessels- Newton (DSX-01) and Halley (DSX-02) are undergoing space trials in my game. Each has unique features to offer, such as gravitic engines and a Shuttlepod (Newton), and a sickbay and a hanger with a Compact Payload Maneuvering Vehicle (Halley). Both designs are being evaluated to determine which direction to go for the next DSEV craft. Unfortunately, someone forgot to pack jetpacks, repair kits, and 3D printer ore on both DSX ships, so they stopped off at Phoenix Station to stock up before heading back out on their respective evaluation flights.

Atvm2O5.png

With that oversight corrected, the two vessels depart...

5rbnP2m.png

8G0cKZg.png

Made my first successful gravity ring station! I just cheated it into orbit to test the expanding mechanism after it had some trouble earlier. I'm working on the bottom portion next and planning for it to be a refueling station, possibly over Minmus

screenshot352.png?ex=656ec949&is=655c544

screenshot353.png?ex=656ec949&is=655c544

The previous attempt was uh... suboptimal.

screenshot350.png?ex=656edcd2&is=655c67d

Today I did put together the following episode of the retro IVA tutorial serie, this time about manual docking instruments only, old style ; )

Which involves the usage of that bloody X-pointer instrument... :D 

Looks overwhelming at first, but in the end allows for very precise and smooth dockings to be made, and is also so damn rewarding !

Questions/feedback welcome :) 

Cheers

I came back and tested a config to allow stock asteroids to spawn around a planet.
It worked! There are now asteroids spawning just outside the rings of Caeruleum!
a4IIEZq.jpg

It is basically free fuel in orbit, though the inclination with the rest of the system is whack at about 80 degrees. Has some nice views too!

Caeruleum is a cloudless gas planet, essentially a warm uranus but without water. It gets about 3 times the light kerbin gets, so it is quite warm.

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

Several missions over the last week or so...

Flew a sightseeing trip to N76A to see more arouras... did not disappoint. 

DNRdN8I.png

Album:  https://imgur.com/a/gmL3bYS

Probably my last flight for awhile... had to dump Kerbal Konstructs. Filled up my save file with junk.

Finished the mission to recover ore from Minmus... with parachutes this time. Found a terrain bug that destroyed my ship on loading... had to land from orbit again :huh:. Reentry got the 10m shield to 3388K, 96.8%. Anybody destroy one of these before?

Y3vn7nH.jpg

Album: https://imgur.com/a/qJN4nqC

Returned the tourists with LKO Bus MK2. Unstable, almost burned up. Got rave reviews.

HVrFKZs.jpg

Album:  https://imgur.com/a/XJQlr5B

Tested a Boar engine in Minmus orbit then crashed it for fun. Peak acceleration 230 m/s^2

I41rqZz.jpg

Album: https://imgur.com/a/SBsbrJY