What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@Krazy1 https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/27292-what-did-you-do-in-ksp1-today/?do=findComment&comment=4363332
"
Sure did... guess I was the diversion you needed? " : I see no Kraken attack here but only a happy spaceship, wagging its tail !:D 

Today, Cooper Kerman visited his favorite "library space-store"... :D 
DyLnRyw.png
GfrBO93.png

The interiors of the KFS exploration ship have been upgraded from zero control panel or buttons, to a futuristic fully featured cockpit (new MAS IVA :) ) !
c4IpET9.png
LUoYdnA.png
7EFC2HT.png
Cheers :) 

Edited by kurgut

I landed on Moho 10 times. Why?

rtSvOuY.jpeg

Well, I'm currently refueling the Icarus, my mothership of choice for a mission to Ernus in the New Horizons planet pack. In order to get there, we need a truly astronomical sum of delta-V, and, as such, I've decided to stop off at Moho to refuel, in order to not need to bring the 12 km/s or so required to get to Ernus in one shot (at least that is what I found in my reconnaissance missions. I'm also not using any ion engines, and have 3 crew members, as well as a decently sized rover, on which one of the wheels exploded for literally no reason). Of course, though, in order to actually land the whole ship on Moho, I'd need a bunch of big heavy engines, which would greatly reduce my overall delta-V, and hence I decided to use a smaller "miner" vessel instead, that goes down to the surface, refines some fuel, returns to the ship, and repeats this process, over and over again. And, on top of that, it also means that I can just leave it around Moho once the refueling is done, instead of carrying all of the equipment that would be dead weight with me afterwards.

pzg41uQ.jpeg

The innermost planets of the New Horizons planet pack, Ernus and Moh (of which Moho is a moon)

8vnm2XV.jpeg

The Moho Mole, the mining module I'm using to (slowly) refuel the Icarus for the trip to Ernus

hM2Tjx7.jpeg

Moho Mole taking off for the seventh (or eighth?[ninth?]) time. The views of Moh and Kerbol from here are quite something to behold (and very dynamic, because for some reason Moho isn't tidally locked to Moh).

rDj3vk8.jpeg

Icarus arriving at Moho with a 40-minute-long insertion burn

Edited by MythicalHeFF

In my current career, I am working on the Tutankhamen space station, which is based off the following:

Sci-Fi Space Station - Download Free 3D model by Helindu (@Helindu) [f6b9106] (sketchfab.com)

I have done 6 launches to date:

• Command Module (everything from the central hub to the right)
  • 2x Fuel Tanks (Top and Bottom of the central hub)
  • 1x solar panel/antenna combination (underneath the central hub; you can barely see it)
  • Science labs
  • Power generation station (all those big solar panels on the left)

6 launches...and I'm not done yet.  I've got 1 more set of solar panels (the gold ones), followed by several launches to put all of the habitat modules up (all the squares with the individual solar panels on them).  I may or may not finish with the hydrogen/nuclear tanks and engines; this thing is not designed to go into deep space, but I may use it for a Jool-5.  Maybe.  Anyhow, here is what I have finished in LKO (~200km):

2mJmOl3.jpg

That mess of girders with the solar panels took me 3 hours to design and launch today.  I contemplated using a Seq-9 and doing orbital construction, but I decided against that because I'm a masochist who likes launching the same thing a billion times.

I have one lone Kerbal on here.  Poor Bob, all alone in space for an extended period of time.

I finished my ridiculous chain of Moho landings with a total of 17 landings to refuel my mothership, the Icarus, to full for the trip to Ernus.

yXX4p45.jpg

Landing 16: ended up in this horribly craggy area after overshooting a nice flat plain just to the east of it, which I called the "Promise Lands".  Despite my best efforts and my (usually) up to scratch piloting skills, I'll still make a silly mistake like this from time to time. Or I'll just hit a mountain on the way back up, as happened on one of the landings (I believe it was landing 8).

tJbQOBl.jpg

abhbDb4.jpeg

Luckily though, we made it to the Promise Lands on the next landing with no issues. (barring Valentina almost overheating again)

V4vQYG9.jpg

After all 17 landings had been completed, and the Icarus had been fully refueled, Bill and Bob decided to make an expedition to a place few Kerbals dare to even mention: the Mohole.

lNQ9dcz.jpg

Bob grinning maniacally over the rim of the Mohole

vane3Eb.jpg

After leaving the Mohole after an "unfortunate" incident, (official sources state that he absolutely did NOT shove Bob into the Mohole to prevent him from taking over the world) Bill made a refueling stop along the way back to Moho's equator, and, well, that's quite a sight to behold!

yE5dkoM.jpg

Once the Moho Mole had been reunited with the Icarus and then promptly left behind in Moho orbit (o7 we salute you for your great service), the journey down to Ernus began... I'm not scared.. haha.. No way!

yE83823.png

TmuhzmJ.png

Beginning the burn over half an hour in advance, because actually starting the burn at half the burn time remaining with such a low TWR would result in us just flying straight past Ernus. Also, you can still see Moh from here, as it's big enough and close enough, at only 1 million km or so away!

wE2ii8v.jpg

11:40 PM, Ernus orbit reached. I've been playing since 3:40, I think I'm done for the day...

CionybD.jpg

The Science experiment package (SEP) launched to Station I. Despite its name it carries reaction wheels, batteries and new antennae along with the experiments. Launch was on board the Icarus I (previously called the sandcastle). docking was performed fine.

msof0JA.png

Sirius 5 launched on board the Scimitar I Heavy launch vehicle. The crew was Roland and a new recruit pilot.

ogZ8vYY.png

The crew on their way to the Mun.

2N1Yc0V.jpeg

Roland performed one of three EVAs to gather science. According to him, the dark side of the moon is 'very dark'. for some reason he didn't use the EVA lights.

uwR6bKD.png

-  A short interlude- having completed thirty days on board Station I, the brave crew of two return to Kerbin. 

znwcCjM.jpeg

Back to Sirius 5. The crew are on their way back. The transfer stage is left in munar orbit and only the capsule returns. the stage is the largest man-made object to remain permanently in the Mun system. Kerbin looks beautiful once I made the Spectra 64k clouds work with JNSQ.

hsgWu7c.jpeg

A fiery Re-entry. For some reason, time-warp only cut out at 60 km instead of 80. The service module exploded immediately but the crew were unharmed.

R8tGRBZ.png

fvgxQrm.png

I have finally done it. I've landed on Ernus and returned safely, something that, to my knowledge, has only ever been done once before. One thing that I'm almost sure of, though, is that I'm the first to do this mission with no ion engines, thanks to a plethora of gravity assists from the ever-so-generous Moh and the aforementioned refueling at Moho. I'm also the first to land with multiple kerbals and the first to bring a rover, at least as far as I can tell.

Lfb5IUS.jpeg

Valentina, Bill, and Tatiana Kerman emerge from the Sisyphus lander after safely touching down on Ernus's night side (on the day side, it's so hot that Kerbals will pretty much instantly die, so landing here was my only real option). To my own surprise, I actually pulled off this landing on my first attempt, which is quite a feat considering Ernus has a surface gravity of 1.65G, over twice that of Tylo. 

PE70j3j.png

After the flag had been planted, the rover, Cerberus, was then undocked from the Sisyphus lander, with a neat IVA view to boot. I don't know why I don't drive rovers in IVA view more often; it's way more fun and immersive than in third-person.

5F23dpT.jpeg

Rover Expedition:

Spoiler

For this mission (at least for right now), I decided to take the Cerberus to the top of a nearby mountain peak and back, which I've called Mt.Erebus, thanks to the fact that it's permanently dark here on the night side of Ernus, a place that has never known the light of Kerbol.

eelcu67.jpeg

Climbing was pretty difficult in a few places, with me having to do multiple swithcbacks to get up some of the steeper sections. You may also notice the radiators are still glowing red-hot even here, and that's because the game doesn't accurately simulate the temperature on the night side; instead of being extremely cold like it would be in real life, in KSP the night side temperature is still about 600 Kelvin (326 Celsius, 620 Fahrenheit). I'll take that over the 1,400K on the day side any day of the week, though.

Y8pOp8j.jpeg

This would be a grade-A-certified amazing view if it weren't so dark..

QqWno80.jpeg

Bill and Tatiana planting the flag on the summit of Mt.Erebus, at around 3,700m elevation

w8uZhUV.jpeg

Making our way back down the mountain to the lander. It's very easy to gain a huge amount of speed really quickly downhill here, the high gravity accelerates you so fast you barely have time to react.

VcLbJGo.jpeg

Back at the lander. That's all the roving I'm going to do for now, maybe in a bit I'll come back to this quicksave and start a longer expedition (or maybe an Elcano, but that sounds like a terrible idea given the terrain at the terminator line)

qgojIy2.jpeg

Launching back to Orbit:

Spoiler

Once everyone had gotten back on board the Sisyphus through some magical crew transfers, it was time for...Liftoff!

kbEltgQ.png

Nearly in orbit, Kerbol rises once more

AMK95kV.jpeg

Once in orbit, I went to make my rendezvous.. except I couldn't turn to start the burn, as I had no more electricity... well this is a predicament. No electricity also means no radiator cooling, which, this close to the sun, will be lethal. Luckily, I was still able to turn into the correct attitude by shutting down one of the engines and using the other's gimbal to turn, but it still made me very nervous nonetheless.

hatO1TH.png

And, speaking of nervous, the crew had to rendezvous by EVA, which got them to something like 99% of their max heat tolerance thanks to them touching the hot exterior of the command module.

LU4q16H.png

The Journey Home:

Spoiler

As with the trip to Ernus, the trip back to Kerbin also entailed a few gravity assists from our friendly neighborhood gas giant, Moh. But first, we had to eject to an eccentric Ernus orbit, as our TWR is too low to do the burn in one shot.

BBEukeh.jpeg

18 minutes of burn time... that's a whole lot better than the 2-HOUR BURN to get here!

NAhlvb6.jpeg

0j2bLDA.jpeg

Plane change to meet Moh, visible in the background

6pIuwVD.jpeg

First Moh assist

JNQ0gpj.jpeg

Second Moh assist

COJA6Xk.jpeg

Eve assist sets us up for a third and final Moh assist

yQJjEfV.jpeg

Final Moh gravity assist propels us back up to the orbit of Sonnah, the gas giant that Kerbin orbits in this planet pack

UPRK0vN.jpeg

b55GULx.jpeg

I totally didn't neglect to check what my Moh periapsis was the first time and end up crashing into the planet, no, that'd be silly. What kind of idiot would do that?

zeKzhvE.jpeg

Approaching Kerbin

v6xl2ov.jpeg

Re-entry (at 4.5 km/s, without any ablator because we were so close to the sun that it all burned away. Another nail-biting moment, to say the least).

F2uEtC3.jpeg

GnU7Yha.jpeg

Home at last

XTsMHFA.jpeg

23 hours ago, MythicalHeFF said:

I've landed on Ernus and returned safely, something that, to my knowledge, has only ever been done once before.

The browser I normally use was rendering your planet name such that it was pretty hard to read correctly.

Spoiler

Which lead to a whole (off-topic) diatribe about:

emu-with-chicks.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=03f373a8de8e6003c967fc3b91e6c02790926f7a8bf784a4d562d1d3267f36c4&ipo=images

I now see your destination's correct name is ERNUS.  Mea culpa.

(I did have a good time with my whole excursion tangent...  :)  but the scissors have now dutifully done their work.  <snip>  <snip>)

Edited by Hotel26

Today, I launched with classified means, the Port Kolisar statioport in Earth orbit :

9ysBghO.png
More:

Spoiler

JKwGhRS.png

The KFS-01 exploration ship, docked to one of the "city-hub" of the station :

1pVEvYh.png

Yes it's pretty big haha

O6lKG2u.png

Views from the different centrifuges's windows :

jlfjLHA.jpg

Engine section :

vrMHIpC.jpg

City hub one :

4EEehEL.jpg

KFS preparing to leave for its destination : [classified]
SLwOVnW.jpg

Aaand burning towards [classified] !

KXphiHR.jpg
Cheers !

2 hours ago, kurgut said:

Today, I launched with classified means, the Port Kolisar statioport in Earth orbit :

9ysBghO.png
More:

Reveal hidden contents

JKwGhRS.png

1pVEvYh.png

Yes it's pretty big haha

O6lKG2u.png

jlfjLHA.jpg

Engine section :

vrMHIpC.jpg

City hub one :

4EEehEL.jpg

SLwOVnW.jpg

KXphiHR.jpg
Cheers !

Using the HX fairing pieces as landing pads? Havent thought about that, pretty cool idea!

Inspired by NASA's "all wing oblique wing supersonic transport", I decided to try making it myself! a smaller version ofc since stock rotors are weak

9d5BUPP.png

yea idk what they were thinking, seemed perfect for KSP!
72I6ZwJ.png

unfortunately, stock rotors were more glitchy than i remembered. this resulted in one engine rotating awkwardly or just spazzing out.
9fJhfQG.png

I had FAR installed, so it got stuck in a dive
pq9y7Iu.png

welp
KTwk3N5.png

On 2/7/2024 at 1:49 PM, kurgut said:

9ysBghO.png
More:

Hide contents

JKwGhRS.png

1pVEvYh.png

Yes it's pretty big haha

O6lKG2u.png

jlfjLHA.jpg

Engine section :

vrMHIpC.jpg

City hub one :

4EEehEL.jpg

SLwOVnW.jpg

KXphiHR.jpg
Cheers !

I love your use of the Interstellar Lander! I just finished my Lego model of it.

On 2/7/2024 at 2:01 AM, MythicalHeFF said:

I have finally done it. I've landed on Ernus and returned safely, something that, to my knowledge, has only ever been done once before. One thing that I'm almost sure of, though, is that I'm the first to do this mission with no ion engines, thanks to a plethora of gravity assists from the ever-so-generous Moh and the aforementioned refueling at Moho. I'm also the first to land with multiple kerbals and the first to bring a rover, at least as far as I can tell.

Lfb5IUS.jpeg

Valentina, Bill, and Tatiana Kerman emerge from the Sisyphus lander after safely touching down on Ernus's night side (on the day side, it's so hot that Kerbals will pretty much instantly die, so landing here was my only real option). To my own surprise, I actually pulled off this landing on my first attempt, which is quite a feat considering Ernus has a surface gravity of 1.65G, over twice that of Tylo. 

PE70j3j.png

After the flag had been planted, the rover, Cerberus, was then undocked from the Sisyphus lander, with a neat IVA view to boot. I don't know why I don't drive rovers in IVA view more often; it's way more fun and immersive than in third-person.

5F23dpT.jpeg

Rover Expedition:

Hide contents

For this mission (at least for right now), I decided to take the Cerberus to the top of a nearby mountain peak and back, which I've called Mt.Erebus, thanks to the fact that it's permanently dark here on the night side of Ernus, a place that has never known the light of Kerbol.

eelcu67.jpeg

Climbing was pretty difficult in a few places, with me having to do multiple swithcbacks to get up some of the steeper sections. You may also notice the radiators are still glowing red-hot even here, and that's because the game doesn't accurately simulate the temperature on the night side; instead of being extremely cold like it would be in real life, in KSP the night side temperature is still about 600 Kelvin (326 Celsius, 620 Fahrenheit). I'll take that over the 1,400K on the day side any day of the week, though.

Y8pOp8j.jpeg

This would be a grade-A-certified amazing view if it weren't so dark..

QqWno80.jpeg

Bill and Tatiana planting the flag on the summit of Mt.Erebus, at around 3,700m elevation

w8uZhUV.jpeg

Making our way back down the mountain to the lander. It's very easy to gain a huge amount of speed really quickly downhill here, the high gravity accelerates you so fast you barely have time to react.

VcLbJGo.jpeg

Back at the lander. That's all the roving I'm going to do for now, maybe in a bit I'll come back to this quicksave and start a longer expedition (or maybe an Elcano, but that sounds like a terrible idea given the terrain at the terminator line)

qgojIy2.jpeg

Launching back to Orbit:

Hide contents

Once everyone had gotten back on board the Sisyphus through some magical crew transfers, it was time for...Liftoff!

kbEltgQ.png

Nearly in orbit, Kerbol rises once more

AMK95kV.jpeg

Once in orbit, I went to make my rendezvous.. except I couldn't turn to start the burn, as I had no more electricity... well this is a predicament. No electricity also means no radiator cooling, which, this close to the sun, will be lethal. Luckily, I was still able to turn into the correct attitude by shutting down one of the engines and using the other's gimbal to turn, but it still made me very nervous nonetheless.

hatO1TH.png

And, speaking of nervous, the crew had to rendezvous by EVA, which got them to something like 99% of their max heat tolerance thanks to them touching the hot exterior of the command module.

LU4q16H.png

The Journey Home:

Hide contents

As with the trip to Ernus, the trip back to Kerbin also entailed a few gravity assists from our friendly neighborhood gas giant, Moh. But first, we had to eject to an eccentric Ernus orbit, as our TWR is too low to do the burn in one shot.

BBEukeh.jpeg

18 minutes of burn time... that's a whole lot better than the 2-HOUR BURN to get here!

NAhlvb6.jpeg

0j2bLDA.jpeg

Plane change to meet Moh, visible in the background

6pIuwVD.jpeg

First Moh assist

JNQ0gpj.jpeg

Second Moh assist

COJA6Xk.jpeg

Eve assist sets us up for a third and final Moh assist

yQJjEfV.jpeg

Final Moh gravity assist propels us back up to the orbit of Sonnah, the gas giant that Kerbin orbits in this planet pack

UPRK0vN.jpeg

b55GULx.jpeg

I totally didn't neglect to check what my Moh periapsis was the first time and end up crashing into the planet, no, that'd be silly. What kind of idiot would do that?

zeKzhvE.jpeg

Approaching Kerbin

v6xl2ov.jpeg

Re-entry (at 4.5 km/s, without any ablator because we were so close to the sun that it all burned away. Another nail-biting moment, to say the least).

F2uEtC3.jpeg

GnU7Yha.jpeg

Home at last

XTsMHFA.jpeg

I got the impression that the planet in question is tidally locked to the sun. Am I wrong? If I'm not, you could do an Elcano on a polar path, around the edge of the terminator. If I am wrong, then you could do one, just with lots of time warp.

On 2/7/2024 at 4:46 PM, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

Using the HX fairing pieces as landing pads? Havent thought about that, pretty cool idea!

Inspired by NASA's "all wing oblique wing supersonic transport", I decided to try making it myself! a smaller version ofc since stock rotors are weak

9d5BUPP.png

yea idk what they were thinking, seemed perfect for KSP!
72I6ZwJ.png

unfortunately, stock rotors were more glitchy than i remembered. this resulted in one engine rotating awkwardly or just spazzing out.
9fJhfQG.png

I had FAR installed, so it got stuck in a dive
pq9y7Iu.png

welp
KTwk3N5.png

Inspired by an X-plane, I tried building an oblique wing once. I encountered similar problems to your own, try turning off autostrut on the rotors or hinges.

26 minutes ago, Kimera Industries said:

I got the impression that the planet in question is tidally locked to the sun. Am I wrong? If I'm not, you could do an Elcano on a polar path, around the edge of the terminator. If I am wrong, then you could do one, just with lots of time warp.

Yes, it’s tidally locked, but the heat on the day side isn’t a problem as long as I don’t EVA; the Cerberus has enough radiators to survive there. If I break a wheel or crash, I can just load my last save. The problem is more so that the terrain around the terminator line looks like this:

b146kSJ.jpeg

So yeah, not exactly conducive to roving.. during a test it took me a while to even get over one of those mountains, and they go on for hundreds of km before eventually smoothing out on the day and night sides. An Elcano would probably take several weeks at the very least just because of this.

Y69Gx3R.jpeg

Edited by MythicalHeFF

14 minutes ago, MythicalHeFF said:

Yes, it’s tidally locked, but the heat on the day side isn’t a problem as long as I don’t EVA; the Cerberus has enough radiators to survive there. If I break a wheel or crash, I can just load my last save. The problem is more so that the terrain around the terminator line looks like this:

b146kSJ.jpeg

So yeah, not exactly conducive to roving.. during a test it took me a while to even get over one of those mountains, and they go on for hundreds of km before eventually smoothing out on the day and night sides. An Elcano would probably take several weeks at the very least just because of this.

Y69Gx3R.jpeg

Oh, dear... that's almost the opposite of Minmus...

Eve 1 arrived at Eve. Unfortunately, the antennas weren't quite as powerful as I'd hoped, so after transmitting science data for a few days contact was lost. I hope that we will still be able to salvage data from this probe once we have a good relay network.

md3SiMn.png

A new crew was sent up to station I. The crew of Sirius 7 will spend 180 days in orbit. They were joined a few days after launch with a resupply module, which carries enough supplies to sustain them for their stay.

KN8I1nn.png

Sirius 6 (The numbering convention is weird) launches. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get a screenshot of the first stage, but here is the second stage igniting.

IHmiE1X.png

Just before touchdown. About 1km up.

CvotDYW.jpeg

We landed in a rather deep crater, Roland didn't see much scenery.

0wOFbS1.jpeg

After launch, we flew by some rather large mountains. Luckily none were in the way.

i72K1PT.jpeg

Re-entry was exciting.

CMhyCgm.png

Now I have 500 science points and I have no idea what to do with them...

Today everything was fine. No worries when my booster ran out of fuel with PE below sea level and my expensive xenon powered probe went passed AP. No stress at all when it dipped back into the atmosphere at 3.8 km/s with the solar panel out. *yawn*

qKB5rwP.png

Spoiler

oYUK9Np.jpeg

vxiyhH7.jpeg

viD4aEz.jpeg

FzHBfOp.jpeg

jwuD7zP.jpeg

On 2/7/2024 at 12:49 PM, kurgut said:

KXphiHR.jpg

The crew didn't happen to have any Death Star plans onboard, did they?

Jokes aside, this station is awesome, and the sci-fi-esque shots are amazing! What visual mods do you use?

Today I said, "I'm going to play KSP." And then I went to my computer and said, "You know what? How about I instead:

• Beat Portal 1
  • Upgrade my Lego Lander
  • Work on my papercraft Endurance
  • Avoid playing KSP because I don't know what to do"

I do have a mission finished for WoRM, but due to the nature of its [CLASSIFIED] it requires some image editing that I've been putting off.

Edited by Kimera Industries
Hey, new page!