What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

5 hours ago, GluttonyReaper said:

Fun fact - you can also use the re-root tool on those floating sub-assemblies if you decide, for whatever reason, you want to attach in a different way. Good, eh?

Don't worry, it only took me 3 hours in the VAB trying to attach a LEM to a Saturn V to figure that out.

Edited by Kimera Industries
New page whaaat

I don't normally deploy science, primarily because it doesn't seem to return more than what it costs to actually get it to where it needs to be.  But today I decided to drop the surface mystery goo experiment on Minmus.  Sent up a Scientist (Bob) and an Engineer (Bill) because I've read that certain Kerbals deploy things better than others.  So I sent them to the lowlands with the Mystery Goo experiment, the Control Station, and the Power Station.  Just hold your thoughts for a few moments; I'm getting there.  Anyhow, dropped the experiments on Minmus, and took a bunch of science readings to bring home (I haven't been in this biome before, which is why I selected this one for surface deployed science).  Decided to just check the Wiki regarding deployment order, just to be sure...and see that I need the surface antenna too.  Which I do not have unlocked yet.  Like, really?  You want me to deploy surface experiments, but I don't have the one piece of equipment that's necessary to do this?  Sigh.

I bring Bill and Bob home, and I have just enough science from this biome run to unlock the node I need for the ground Communotron.  So I have to send Jeb up there by himself to deploy the antenna, but I decide to bring the magnetometer and the seismometer with me.  If I'm going, I may as well make it worth my while, right?  I land on Minmus...3 or so km away from the site.  So I get to spend a bunch of time holding the W key to run Jeb over there (I suck at short hops, so I didn't even try to get closer).  I deploy the communotron, and it immediately sends up 40% of the mystery goo data.  I'm thinking "Dang!  I'll hit the whole 50% and finish the contract before I get back to Kerbin".  I run Jeb back to his lander, launch to 30km, circularize, and send him on his way home.  I start time warping, and some message comes up indicating an issue with sending data back from the deployed science?  Well, as far as I know there is no way to go see a history of messages - thank you Squad for deciding THAT wasn't a necessary thing - and so I land Jeb on Kerbin and immediately go to the Tracking Station.  I switch to the deployed control station...and it shows Comms of 1.0, and power.  The power station shows it is generating 3 units of power, and all 3 are being used (Control Station, Communotron, Mystery Goo).  Mystery Goo shows it's still collecting.  Communotron shows its communotroning.  And I've got a satellite in orbit of Minmus (but I didn't check where it's at, although after a 2 day return trip, it should have come back into position above/near the Communotron at least once, right?).

So I'm at a loss.  The mystery goo thing shows 40% sent, everything is connected and powered, and yet that message came up and went away so fast that I don't know what it officially/fully said.  Do I need to send Jeb back to Minmus until this is done collecting/sending?  Did I miss something that I need to deploy or keep there?  Is this a bug that I should simply cheat my way through (which I do NOT want to do)?

6 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

The mystery goo thing shows 40% sent, everything is connected and powered, and yet that message came up and went away so fast that I don't know what it officially/fully said.  Do I need to send Jeb back to Minmus until this is done collecting/sending?  Did I miss something that I need to deploy or keep there?  Is this a bug that I should simply cheat my way through (which I do NOT want to do)?

I'm pretty sure you're fine. If you are getting science points, then it's working. The initial message may have been a delayed message from when it wasn't fully set up, or you might have even misread it.

5 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Do I need to send Jeb back to Minmus until this is done collecting/sending?  Did I miss something that I need to deploy or keep there?  Is this a bug that I should simply cheat my way through (which I do NOT want to do)?

The question is, how it could transmit the science once.

Did it happen with a direct connection to the KCS? Then you have to wait, until Minmus rotates to the right position to get connection again, and hope, that the science wants to be transmitted then.

Did it happen via the relay satellite? Then you have to wait until it comes to the right position, when the science wants to be transmitted. Maybe you can put your satellite into a higher orbit, so it has connection for a longer period.

If nothing helps, you can go back to Minmus, after the experiment has finished, pich it up, and you can recover the science. I don't know, what is in the contract. Do you need to transmit the science?

7 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

and see that I need the surface antenna too. 

You don't need it, especially for Minmus. The experiment control station has a moderate range without the additional antenna deployed, like command pods and probe cores. It's actually much better than probe cores: 500 km versus 5 km. If you have a level 2+ tracking station and line of sight then it should reach Kerbin. It works like any other antenna, networking through relays.

HOWEVER It only attempts to transmit when a 10% increment of an experiment is complete. If there's no network connection at that moment, it will try again later, at the next 10% increment I believe. It's pretty slow especially if your Kerbal scientist is only 1 or 2 stars.  You didn't lose anything, just unfortunate timing.  

7 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Well, as far as I know there is no way to go see a history of messages - thank you Squad for deciding THAT wasn't a necessary thing

Actually messages on the screen are usually in the Alt-F12 console (with limited history) in yellow I think. I'm pretty sure it's also in the KSP.log file. Almost everything is in there. You can open it while playing and go to the end.

Well, I'm not sure what happened, but as soon as I fired up KSP today, that contract for surface-deployed science completed itself.  I'm not complaining.  I just wish I knew why, is all.

Anyhow, I had to go put a satellite in orbit of Eve, and while I was time warping through the cosmos, one of my satellites in orbit of Kerbin decided it wanted to get a closer look at the Mun.  And by "closer look", I mean "crash-land into the canyons".  So I had to go replace that one because I need the relays up in space for whatever reason KSP has for wanting all those green lines showing up.  Anyhow, because I won't do anything without a contract, I look and see I've got a contract to put a new satellite up in HKO.  I'm like "well, free money for something I'm gonna do anyhow", so I take that and build a new satellite.  Get into LKO, and as I'm preparing for an inclination change burn, I capture this shot:

2MH8RMZ.png

A total solar eclipse, with the Mun directly in front of Kerbol, from LKO.  I was a bit miffed about losing the satellite and having to replace it, but catching this made up for it.  Well, this shot, and the fact that I got paid to replace it.  To the tune of 300,000:funds: and 22:science:.

10 hours ago, Tecorian said:

This Warp-Bubble looks very interesting for me.

When i use the Warp-Drive, it looks more like "normal" ? :D

How do you create this visual effect?

It was unintentional. We noticed that too. It is indeed not supposed to look like that and must have been some sort of glitch. Although us modifying the warp bubbles to look cooler sounds like something that we two would indeed do. What a great idea, if anything.

4 hours ago, Qwotty said:

It was unintentional. We noticed that too. It is indeed not supposed to look like that and must have been some sort of glitch. Although us modifying the warp bubbles to look cooler sounds like something that we two would indeed do. What a great idea, if anything.

Which Alcubierre Drive mod were you using? RoverDude's, KSPI-E, or a different mod?

Been using RoverDude's mod myself for a long time now (the devil you know and all that).

11 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Which Alcubierre Drive mod were you using? RoverDude's, KSPI-E, or a different mod?

Been using RoverDude's mod myself for a long time now (the devil you know and all that).

Cannot tell now that all of those mods have been installed, but what we two do know though is that it was not those mods. It was from the mods on CKAN that specifically give you the warp drives engine parts. It may have very well been the mod by RoverDude. It is up to speculation at this point. Something must have not been installed right and/or clashed with something else. Oh well. Those things always seem to cause spontaneous unpredictable and unintentional detonations. We have been wondering if it is because of the PB-NUK Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator overheating, but we do think that that is it, and think that it has something to do with the mod being broken, as in the spaceship always ends up going boom at some point, and it is always because of using the Alcubierre warp drive parts — no matter what they are — which as far as troubleshooting goes, as of writing this, does not seem to have any sort of immediate answer as far as debugging Krakens goes, unless there is some sort of solution for this which has been overlooked or not found yet. As if the bugs as far as the bubble looking how it did (which is how it should not) and the fact that they still take as something like about as much as time as Xenon engine burns do to reach far-out stars added by Infinite Discoveries wasn't enough, the darned parts seem to rigidly insist on destroying the whole spaceship that was built for the interstellar missions in the first place. As of writing this, it seems to be an insidious all too replicable Kraken. The long burns from Kerbol to other stars would be endurable if the intolerable darned Kraken that defeats the whole purpose of installing stars to attempt trying to do interstellar missions with that way would just go away and join the other solved Krakens in Kraken Jail, which seems like it would be located directly underneath the KSC, like some sort of bunker prison. But much like this other bug where solar panels deploy in the VAB without being deployed by toggling and cannot be retracted either in the VAB or outside of it during flights, that of which the source of is practically impossible as of writing this to determine, and a solution looked up for it before writing this blames a mod that was not installed. Which makes for two mod bug full stop stoppages. And we two cannot seem to figure out how to even start doing diagnostics. But through our conversations about KSP we realized together that the easiest and pleaseiest way to go about things like that is to remove every mod and add on to a bug-free blank state "now that we know what the best mods are" (through testing them through trying them), to quote the conversation about it from earlier — yet that still seems as of writing this like it would solve things like the problem with the solar panels, and this Kraken with the warp drives will still persist. Knowing that... what gives?  There has to be some sort of solution to that knowing that, if it happened over here, it has happened elsewhere. But the darn things seem to go boom every time that they start doing their warp drive thing that those warp drives do for anything longer than a few minutes. If that, even. Thus the talk of it being unpredictable. It is a real head-scratcher indeed. Is it because of the game version? Mod incompatibility? Something else entirely that is more out-of-the-way than somebody might think of at first???? Are those mods kursed??!!??!!  Because it is starting to seem so as of writing this, and we hate how it presents us with a warp drive that takes the warp drive out of warp driving after a few minutes. If we had figured out before writing this how to get .mu models to show up by exporting them with the materials right, which has not worked despite our best efforts with experimentation yet as of writing this as well as kind attempts at assistance from @ColdJ , then we probably would have already published our own warp drive mods by now that were created to get around this error. But it seems those things are still plagued with the same errors, and there must be some sort of nuance escaping us here that we are yet to determine as of writing this. 

Kerbal Space Program is so much fun, but not when things like creating mods for it and installing mods that were made by the community for it in the same ways are throwing out these issues that seem to tackle us more than we can tackle them as of writing this, and that is why there has not been any mod publishing or interstellar space travel documentation: because Bforartists/Blender and KSP1 are both great at crapping out at times when you would not anticipate it like that, and then have the nerve to be like mysterious riddles in terms of diagnostics and troubleshooting when it comes down to the horror that is trying to work with what you do not understand like that. And those are the type of flubs where you swear you are doing everything right and very well may be, but this incredibly highly specific thing is stopping things from working correctly, and it is starting to look like we are going to need the KSP version of Scooby-Doo Mystery Van adventure to solve this mystery, if you get what we mean. And we really do mean that. It's like "try contributing to a game that wants to fight about it for the ability to be able to even do it at all because of how modding the game works"... and you would think that, with KSP1 being a video game that runs on the Unity Engine, it would not be that hard to mod, yet it seems to be way harder to mod that people might think, and all of that stuff is so unsolvable as of writing this for us in all of the ways, that, as of writing this, we are starting to struggle with not giving up on working with this endless stream of "fix this one thing so that it can work properly" together toughly so much that is causing us to write what is now by this point in the writing hundreds and hundreds words about all of this stuff. But the determination to get all that stuff working is still as fierce as ever because the way to get it working is to try and to do stuff like this. Lately it has been like "What we did do in KSP1" is want to chuck a whole Kerbal or two at our pretty gaming setup that glows rainbow colors out of pure frustration due to this type of stuff. Which is actually possible as long as they are not wearing their space travel gear, as according to KSP info, they are 2'5½" and weight about 99.2 lbs without jetpack nor parachute. But with their gear, they are 207.235 pounds each, which is not within chucking with ease range, unlike the former. Here is to hoping that we can figure this all out and contribute to the Kerbal Space Program community with mods and with those warp drives included but working this time. We do not get what you (i.e. @capi3101) meant by "the devil you know and all that", but if you we were referring to that darned Warp Drive Kraken, then we agree big time. "In space, no one can hear you pass gas..." like you say in your signature indeed, and nobody can smell it either (thanks to the adult diapers that come installed in most spacesuits, like NASA's Maximum Absorbency Garment!!), but unlike that, these modding problems reek of fettered potential possibilities in terms of being able to create our own custom parts and then take them on interstellar space missions using the warp drive part mods. Quite the Kerbal Space Program stinker (as in difficult task/unpleasant thing) indeed truly. And farting around doing other things in Kerbal Space Program eventually leads to wanting to work with these things again that go wrong the same way, and it can obviously be seen how the cycle would repeat from there. Which it has. Yet we keep trying. Which is important. And why we are writing about it. Which is basically because of this confusion-inducing bottlenecking of epic proportions that is epic because of how epically hard to understand how to solve that they are. Shoutout to the moth that landed on the monitor we were looking at while writing this between this sentence and the previous sentence that scared the living daylights out of the two of us, by the way. It truly added to the dystopia that is this KSP modding mess over here with its grizzly and morbid pestilent cameo that was as unpleasant and unwanted as these Kerbal Space Program modding issues that place restrictions that we, as of writing this, have been watching other people get by through somehow getting past how we cannot as of writing this. Which is not quite what we were thinking of when we were planned to set out and create mods as well as interstellar space missions with warp drives. We want to make Kerbal Space Program into something like an interstellar roleplaying game, but there are certainly obstacles as of writing this.

For instance, say that us two wanted to go to this randomly generated purple gas giant with the equally randomly generated name "Boneair", and go visit its cute little moon Lapidboul, both of which are pictured below.
Literally impossible. At least as of writing this anyway. Try taking your custom part that will not even visibly show up in the VAB to another star on a spaceship with a warp drive that makes the whole ship go boom randomly, you know? 
screenshot982.png
screenshot984.png

TL;DR version: us two basically did the same that we did before, cursing (out) the (darn) KSP(1) part modeling process and warp drives mods for being as frustrating as they were, which was a pain in the Kerbum to work with. But deep down we both knew that both of those problems can be solved, even if they have seemingly unsolvable problems with them that present incredibly demotivatingly frustrating challenges. 

But people have gotten past those. We two both keep faithful hope together lovingly knowing that instead of letting it make us angry.
We are sure that great "post-worthy" posts will stem from figuring this all out after we do. "Until then", you know?

19 minutes ago, Qwotty said:

Cannot tell now that all of those mods have been installed, but what we two do know though is that it was not those mods. It was from the mods on CKAN that specifically give you the warp drives engine parts. It may have very well been the mod by RoverDude. It is up to speculation at this point. Something must have not been installed right and/or clashed with something else. Oh well. Those things always seem to cause spontaneous unpredictable and unintentional detonations. We have been wondering if it is because of the PB-NUK Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator overheating, but we do think that that is it, and think that it has something to do with the mod being broken, as in the spaceship always ends up going boom at some point, and it is always because of using the Alcubierre warp drive parts — no matter what they are — which as far as troubleshooting goes, as of writing this, does not seem to have any sort of immediate answer as far as debugging Krakens goes, unless there is some sort of solution for this which has been overlooked or not found yet. As if the bugs as far as the bubble looking how it did (which is how it should not) and the fact that they still take as something like about as much as time as Xenon engine burns do to reach far-out stars added by Infinite Discoveries wasn't enough, the darned parts seem to rigidly insist on destroying the whole spaceship that was built for the interstellar missions in the first place. As of writing this, it seems to be an insidious all too replicable Kraken. The long burns from Kerbol to other stars would be endurable if the intolerable darned Kraken that defeats the whole purpose of installing stars to attempt trying to do interstellar missions with that way would just go away and join the other solved Krakens in Kraken Jail, which seems like it would be located directly underneath the KSC, like some sort of bunker prison. But much like this other bug where solar panels deploy in the VAB without being deployed by toggling and cannot be retracted either in the VAB or outside of it during flights, that of which the source of is practically impossible as of writing this to determine, and a solution looked up for it before writing this blames a mod that was not installed. Which makes for two mod bug full stop stoppages. And we two cannot seem to figure out how to even start doing diagnostics. But through our conversations about KSP we realized together that the easiest and pleaseiest way to go about things like that is to remove every mod and add on to a bug-free blank state "now that we know what the best mods are" (through testing them through trying them), to quote the conversation about it from earlier — yet that still seems as of writing this like it would solve things like the problem with the solar panels, and this Kraken with the warp drives will still persist. Knowing that... what gives?  There has to be some sort of solution to that knowing that, if it happened over here, it has happened elsewhere. But the darn things seem to go boom every time that they start doing their warp drive thing that those warp drives do for anything longer than a few minutes. If that, even. Thus the talk of it being unpredictable. It is a real head-scratcher indeed. Is it because of the game version? Mod incompatibility? Something else entirely that is more out-of-the-way than somebody might think of at first???? Are those mods kursed??!!??!!  Because it is starting to seem so as of writing this, and we hate how it presents us with a warp drive that takes the warp drive out of warp driving after a few minutes. If we had figured out before writing this how to get .mu models to show up by exporting them with the materials right, which has not worked despite our best efforts with experimentation yet as of writing this as well as kind attempts at assistance from @ColdJ , then we probably would have already published our own warp drive mods by now that were created to get around this error. But it seems those things are still plagued with the same errors, and there must be some sort of nuance escaping us here that we are yet to determine as of writing this. 

Kerbal Space Program is so much fun, but not when things like creating mods for it and installing mods that were made by the community for it in the same ways are throwing out these issues that seem to tackle us more than we can tackle them as of writing this, and that is why there has not been any mod publishing or interstellar space travel documentation: because Bforartists/Blender and KSP1 are both great at crapping out at times when you would not anticipate it like that, and then have the nerve to be like mysterious riddles in terms of diagnostics and troubleshooting when it comes down to the horror that is trying to work with what you do not understand like that. And those are the type of flubs where you swear you are doing everything right and very well may be, but this incredibly highly specific thing is stopping things from working correctly, and it is starting to look like we are going to need the KSP version of Scooby-Doo Mystery Van adventure to solve this mystery, if you get what we mean. And we really do mean that. It's like "try contributing to a game that wants to fight about it for the ability to be able to even do it at all because of how modding the game works"... and you would think that, with KSP1 being a video game that runs on the Unity Engine, it would not be that hard to mod, yet it seems to be way harder to mod that people might think, and all of that stuff is so unsolvable as of writing this for us in all of the ways, that, as of writing this, we are starting to struggle with not giving up on working with this endless stream of "fix this one thing so that it can work properly" together toughly so much that is causing us to write what is now by this point in the writing hundreds and hundreds words about all of this stuff. But the determination to get all that stuff working is still as fierce as ever because the way to get it working is to try and to do stuff like this. Lately it has been like "What we did do in KSP1" is want to chuck a whole Kerbal or two at our pretty gaming setup that glows rainbow colors out of pure frustration due to this type of stuff. Which is actually possible as long as they are not wearing their space travel gear, as according to KSP info, they are 2'5½" and weight about 99.2 lbs without jetpack nor parachute. But with their gear, they are 207.235 pounds each, which is not within chucking with ease range, unlike the former. Here is to hoping that we can figure this all out and contribute to the Kerbal Space Program community with mods and with those warp drives included but working this time. We do not get what you (i.e. @capi3101) meant by "the devil you know and all that", but if you we were referring to that darned Warp Drive Kraken, then we agree big time. "In space, no one can hear you pass gas..." like you say in your signature indeed, and nobody can smell it either (thanks to the adult diapers that come installed in most spacesuits, like NASA's Maximum Absorbency Garment!!), but unlike that, these modding problems reek of fettered potential possibilities in terms of being able to create our own custom parts and then take them on interstellar space missions using the warp drive part mods. Quite the Kerbal Space Program stinker (as in difficult task/unpleasant thing) indeed truly. And farting around doing other things in Kerbal Space Program eventually leads to wanting to work with these things again that go wrong the same way, and it can obviously be seen how the cycle would repeat from there. Which it has. Yet we keep trying. Which is important. And why we are writing about it. Which is basically because of this confusion-inducing bottlenecking of epic proportions that is epic because of how epically hard to understand how to solve that they are. Shoutout to the moth that landed on the monitor we were looking at while writing this between this sentence and the previous sentence that scared the living daylights out of the two of us, by the way. It truly added to the dystopia that is this KSP modding mess over here with its grizzly and morbid pestilent cameo that was as unpleasant and unwanted as these Kerbal Space Program modding issues that place restrictions that we, as of writing this, have been watching other people get by through somehow getting past how we cannot as of writing this. Which is not quite what we were thinking of when we were planned to set out and create mods as well as interstellar space missions with warp drives. We want to make Kerbal Space Program into something like an interstellar roleplaying game, but there are certainly obstacles as of writing this.

For instance, say that us two wanted to go to this randomly generated purple gas giant with the equally randomly generated name "Boneair", and go visit its cute little moon Lapidboul, both of which are pictured below.
Literally impossible. At least as of writing this anyway. Try taking your custom part that will not even visibly show up in the VAB to another star on a spaceship with a warp drive that makes the whole ship go boom randomly, you know? 
screenshot982.png
screenshot984.png

TL;DR version: us two basically did the same that we did before, cursing (out) the (darn) KSP(1) part modeling process and warp drives mods for being as frustrating as they were, which was a pain in the Kerbum to work with. But deep down we both knew that both of those problems can be solved, even if they have seemingly unsolvable problems with them that present incredibly demotivatingly frustrating challenges. 

But people have gotten past those. We two both keep faithful hope together lovingly knowing that instead of letting it make us angry.
We are sure that great "post-worthy" posts will stem from figuring this all out after we do. "Until then", you know?

By "the devil I know", I meant that I have worked with RoverDude's Alcubierre Drive for a number of years, so I'm familiar with that particular mod. It certainly looks like his at a glance. Here's one of my warp ships that utilizes that mod:

ioGIluZ.png

If you are using that mod, try running the drive without having the Exotic Matter generator turned on at the same time. Nine times out of ten, that's the cause for spontaneous destruction. The other one time out of ten it's because people try to extend the warp field with multiple warp bubbles - that trick simply doesn't work with at particular mod.

Edited by capi3101

This wasn't today, but rather the past couple days. I've been working on optimizing the landers for every body in the game to eventually lower the mass for a minimalist grand tour. The goal is to get the mass under 6 tons, which seems very likely! Laythe, Tylo, Eve, Vall, and Duna are the only planets that aren't done using an ion engine, and all of the other bodies can be down with a craft that only weighs 0.7 tons. the Laythe lander is 0.37 tons, Tylo is 0.33 Tons (though more testing needs to be done), Eve is 0.7 tons, though I am exploring another potential optimization that is also used on Tylo. The Duna lander is completely reused from Laythe, and then is also reused for Vall: it weighs 0.15 tons. Wish me luck!

So I've got more than 1000 hours in KSP1.  I can get to and land on Mun and Minmus in my sleep.  I've gotten to, landed on, and returned from Duna, Dres, Moho, and Eeloo.  I've visited a few of Jool's moons (although I haven't landed on them here, I did land on and return from both Bop and Pol in KSP2).  And I've even orbited and returned from said orbit around Eve.  You can almost say I've done almost everything in this game.

Except for a few things, that is.  And I need to work on those few things, starting with Eve.  So today, for only the 3rd time ever - in over 1000 hours of playing - I was able to land a probe on Eve.  Hathor II, with a relay satellite in orbit (Hathor III).  So here's the craft on the launchpad, and then in LKO:

JrN59SX.png

k0JckAc.png

A little side note here.  I was today years old when I discovered that fairings have a truss mount option.  I did not know that this was possible!  I can stack multiple satellites inside the same fairing without having to use extra parts like those multi-stack pieces?  Where has this been all my life?!?  That is unbelievable!

Ahem.  Anyway, on with the show.  The craft in orbit of Eve, followed by the probe touched down on the surface:

K7rCTTh.png

20jtmsQ.png

This craft was way over-engineered.  I followed a tutorial - yes, some of us with a lot of hours in this game still need help - by GrunfWorks.  When I separated from the transfer stage, the transfer stage had ~3000 m/s of dV.  The probe that landed had ~1000 m/s when I decoupled it inside Eve's atmosphere.  But, considering Eve is my current nemesis...

win.gif

I will most certainly get better at Eve landings, and I will practice building and doing them.  I feel so accomplished today.  Time to take a break and go drink a root beer.  Until next time, this has been Ron Kerburgundy for Kerb 5 News in Las Kerbas.  Good night, everyone.

Edited by Scarecrow71

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I was today years old when I discovered that fairings have a truss mount option.  I did not know that this was possible!  I can stack multiple satellites inside the same fairing without having to use extra parts like those multi-stack pieces?  Where has this been all my life?!?  That is unbelievable!

I remember that day. The sky opened up and sang, "Now you can send even more probes up heeeeere..."

Did more boring orbit fiddling (apparently, I just can't nail Janus orbit that has SCANSat satellite cover entire surface in a reasonable timeframe) and more satellite dispersal over the reset of the system.

Got the relay pack and the mapping satellite to Tau:

8tFyhKQ.jpeg

And the relays to Eterna:

rPttdcA.jpeg

On 9/6/2024 at 8:57 AM, capi3101 said:

If you are using that mod, try running the drive without having the Exotic Matter generator turned on at the same time. Nine times out of ten, that's the cause for spontaneous destruction. The other one time out of ten it's because people try to extend the warp field with multiple warp bubbles - that trick simply doesn't work with at particular mod.

Let's not forget the edge case of running said engine from inside a fairing or cargo bay. Turned my ship into a relativstic shrapnel stream and even unleashed some Omega Molecule there. Revisiting the scene of the destruction after the fact was actually pain.

On 9/6/2024 at 5:57 AM, capi3101 said:

By "the devil I know", I meant that I have worked with RoverDude's Alcubierre Drive for a number of years, so I'm familiar with that particular mod. It certainly looks like his at a glance. Here's one of my warp ships that utilizes that mod:

ioGIluZ.png

17 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:
On 9/6/2024 at 5:57 AM, capi3101 said:

Let's not forget the edge case of running said engine from inside a fairing or cargo bay. Turned my ship into a relativstic shrapnel stream and even unleashed some Omega Molecule there. Revisiting the scene of the destruction after the fact was actually pain.

Thank you both kindly for the helpful advice that translated into what, as of writing this, seems to be the solution to *(most of)* the warp drive bugs. 
As you can see here below, we two were able to launch a fully functioning spaceship with a warp drive. It was able to make it to Eve and then Eeloo. 
It appears as though that the issue has been resolved, seeing as the spaceship never blew up within the window of time that it would before.
We even made it to Moho too before directly crashing into it at what must have been quite a rapid speed to hit the surface of a planet like Moho at.
dpQPk2e.png
7gd1JLv.png
qqWhUnL.gif
Idgth0B.gif
vGcWtTD.png
That being said though, we used ALT+F12 to test the warp drives again but ran into a similar type of boom thing like from before.
And it seems to be quite replicable, much like it was before, but this time more specifically.
gCqBq18.gif
As you can see here above, there were no issues with things going boom in regards to doing the escape trajectory burn, or in terms of velocity, but when the Exotic Matter resources got depleted to the point of reaching zero, the whole ship exploded, and to the point that it had locked the game in an extremely long loading screen wait time (meaning infinitely), which is, again, the specific KSP1 bug that we were looking to avoid, and for the most part had avoided earlier. So, that being said, we are both over here wondering as of writing this if it is true that we two must keep our Exotic Matter levels higher than zero or else things will boom. Is it correct to say that we must ensure that our Exotic Matter levels always remain somewhere above empty? It sure seems so, and that is something that would make logical sense: Exotic Matter is crucial for stabilizing the warp bubble in the Alcubierre Drive, and without it, the drive can't maintain the bubble, causing a sudden collapse that results in an explosion. It’s like the game’s trying to stick to the science, but in the process, it breaks apart into a softlock. The mod's logic suggests that Exotic Matter is essential for stabilizing the warp bubble, and running out of it can cause a catastrophic failure, like an explosion. While this makes sense scientifically, the way the game handles this failure—by breaking into perpetual loading screens—seems more like a bug than an intended feature. This kind of game-breaking bug does not seem like what a mod creator would intend to. implement. If the mod follows that logic, then that's fine, and makes sense even, but the way that it blows up is semi-game-breaking and requires restarts to escape perpetual unchanging and unvarying loading screens that are not very nice.

To repeat: stuff like these bugs does not seem to be part of the mod that was intentionally put in there.
Although the part regarding Exotic Matter levels very well may be, which would make sense.
We two are looking for a keen KSP player who would know to corroborate with a "no" or "yes".
xy5blbL.pngWiwfLa5.png

We are basically just wondering if this one type of event is a normal thing that happens to other KSP1 players and if Exotic Matter levels must always be =>0 or if other Kerbal Space Program players have been able to have their spaceship reach an Exotic Matter level of zero without it doing this type of stuff. It seems like the former, and we two wondering if that is the case. 

For instance, look at our recorded documentation of Valentina Kerman burning Exotic Matter at full throttle until the fuel levels reach zero and how the spaceship proceeds to blow up afterwards immediately after. The fact that this game-breaking bug with different possible causes always occurs during the moment that the Exotic Matter levels reach suggest that the keeping-fuel-above-zero maintenance is indeed intentional, but the way that it causes the game to glitch into a state of unplayability is not. 
fIR6IFg.gif
There is where getting corroboration from readers comes into play: would you fellow Kerbonaut-deployers agree that, along with staying inside the bubble and making sure not to produce Exotic Matter during warp drive burns, that it is absolutely essential to ensure that Exotic Matter fuel levels always stay above >0?? The other specific things that caused the game-breaking bug previously have been addressed from what we two can tell. Although right before writing this, we encountered yet another when firing the engine again after producing more Exotic Matter, which could have been from not toggling off producing Exotic Matter, which is like how it was before. These warp drives require more attention and precision to prevent them from breaking the game how the mod should not be anyway than we had initially thought. But we two are sure now that people who read this will know what we are talking about specifically in terms of Krakens and know what to say about them. The goal is obviously to avoid these altogether so that we can stop metaphorically stop tripping over the same rock every time we walk by it due to not knowing about the different paths. We are sure that you know those paths. 

To answer the thread's question that makes the thread what it is, what we two had did in KSP1 today was get all hyped after being told how to solve our problems with the warp drive, only to merely run into another one, as if a Kerbal version of DJ Khaled (DJ Kherbled) had appeared out of nowhere like a Pokémon hiding in tall grass and went:
mmhsOf6.png
Anybody who has spent enough time utilizing the warp drive mod talked about earlier has as a result learned how to make it so that the game-breaking bugs do not occur entirely, which simply leaves the questions for those people about how that is went about and what the deal is. Especially regarding Exotic Matter. Help with that would be appreciated so that that DJ Kherbled will stop riding over to our spaceships on a Kraken and shouting "Another one!" (as he does) before the said spaceship blows up.  

Edited by Qwotty

35 minutes ago, Qwotty said:

Thank you both kindly for the helpful advice that translated into what, as of writing this, seems to be the solution to *(most of)* the warp drive bugs. 
As you can see here below, we two were able to launch a fully functioning spaceship with a warp drive. It was able to make it to Eve and then Eeloo. 
It appears as though that the issue has been resolved, seeing as the spaceship never blew up within the window of time that it would before.
We even made it to Moho too before directly crashing into it at what must have been quite a rapid speed to hit the surface of a planet like Moho at.
dpQPk2e.png
7gd1JLv.png
qqWhUnL.gif
Idgth0B.gif
vGcWtTD.png
That being said though, we used ALT+F12 to test the warp drives again but ran into a similar type of boom thing like from before.
And it seems to be quite replicable, much like it was before, but this time more specifically.
gCqBq18.gif
As you can see here above, there were no issues with things going boom in regards to doing the escape trajectory burn, or in terms of velocity, but when the Exotic Matter resources got depleted to the point of reaching zero, the whole ship exploded, and to the point that it had locked the game in an extremely long loading screen wait time (meaning infinitely), which is, again, the specific KSP1 bug that we were looking to avoid, and for the most part had avoided earlier. So, that being said, we are both over here wondering as of writing this if it is true that we two must keep our Exotic Matter levels higher than zero or else things will boom. Is it correct to say that we must ensure that our Exotic Matter levels always remain somewhere above empty? It sure seems so, and that is something that would make logical sense: Exotic Matter is crucial for stabilizing the warp bubble in the Alcubierre Drive, and without it, the drive can't maintain the bubble, causing a sudden collapse that results in an explosion. It’s like the game’s trying to stick to the science, but in the process, it breaks apart into a softlock. The mod's logic suggests that Exotic Matter is essential for stabilizing the warp bubble, and running out of it can cause a catastrophic failure, like an explosion. While this makes sense scientifically, the way the game handles this failure—by breaking into perpetual loading screens—seems more like a bug than an intended feature. This kind of game-breaking bug does not seem like what a mod creator would intend to. implement. If the mod follows that logic, then that's fine, and makes sense even, but the way that it blows up is semi-game-breaking and requires restarts to escape perpetual unchanging and unvarying loading screens that are not very nice.

To repeat: stuff like these bugs does not seem to be part of the mod that was intentionally put in there.
Although the part regarding Exotic Matter levels very well may be, which would make sense.
We two are looking for a keen KSP player who would know to corroborate with a "no" or "yes".
xy5blbL.pngWiwfLa5.png

We are basically just wondering if this one type of event is a normal thing that happens to other KSP1 players and if Exotic Matter levels must always be =>0 or if other Kerbal Space Program players have been able to have their spaceship reach an Exotic Matter level of zero without it doing this type of stuff. It seems like the former, and we two wondering if that is the case. 

For instance, look at our recorded documentation of Valentina Kerman burning Exotic Matter at full throttle until the fuel levels reach zero and how the spaceship proceeds to blow up afterwards immediately after. The fact that this game-breaking bug with different possible causes always occurs during the moment that the Exotic Matter levels reach suggest that the keeping-fuel-above-zero maintenance is indeed intentional, but the way that it causes the game to glitch into a state of unplayability is not. 
fIR6IFg.gif
There is where getting corroboration from readers comes into play: would you fellow Kerbonaut-deployers agree that, along with staying inside the bubble and making sure not to produce Exotic Matter during warp drive burns, that it is absolutely essential to ensure that Exotic Matter fuel levels always stay above >0?? The other specific things that caused the game-breaking bug previously have been addressed from what we two can tell. Although right before writing this, we encountered yet another when firing the engine again after producing more Exotic Matter, which could have been from not toggling off producing Exotic Matter, which is like how it was before. These warp drives require more attention and precision to prevent them from breaking the game how the mod should not be anyway than we had initially thought. But we two are sure now that people who read this will know what we are talking about specifically in terms of Krakens and know what to say about them. The goal is obviously to avoid these altogether so that we can stop metaphorically stop tripping over the same rock every time we walk by it due to not knowing about the different paths. We are sure that you know those paths. 

To answer the thread's question that makes the thread what it is, what we two had did in KSP1 today was get all hyped after being told how to solve our problems with the warp drive, only to merely run into another one, as if a Kerbal version of DJ Khaled (DJ Kherbled) had appeared out of nowhere like a Pokémon hiding in tall grass and went:
mmhsOf6.png
Anybody who has spent enough time utilizing the warp drive mod talked about earlier has as a result learned how to make it so that the game-breaking bugs do not occur entirely, which simply leaves the questions for those people about how that is went about and what the deal is. Especially regarding Exotic Matter. Help with that would be appreciated so that that DJ Kherbled will stop riding over to our spaceships on a Kraken and shouting "Another one!" (as he does) before the said spaceship blows up.  

Yes. Keep the Exotic Matter above zero or you're going to have a bad time. As to it breaking the game, that wasn't RoverDude's intention. I doubt he's still maintaining the mod at this point. 

I typically carry a set of eight Gigantors aboard my warp ships. A typical trip with the warp drive for me usually involves a period where I warp to a trajectory either heading directly into or directly out of Kerbol, with the intent of speeding up or slowing down enough to enter orbit around the target body (or at least getting close enough that I can warp there and pull the same shenanigans at the destination until I've got the speed right). That's either starting at 1.2 Gm and going out to 1.6 Gm if I'm slowing down or vice versa to speed up.  1.6 Gm is the distance at which eight Gigantor solar panels will produce 10,000 EC/s, which is what the Exotic Matter Generator requires to operate. So the speed up/slow down maneuver also acts as an opportunity to refuel the ExM tank. You do have to be careful not to overheat your craft getting that close to Kerbol, of course.

The only other reliable method I've found for generating that much power is using the S.A.F.E.R. reactor from the MOLE mod (or was it Pathfinder or Buffalo? It's one of the WildBlue mods, I know that much). You need something like eighty of them.

Apologies if I still haven't answered your questions regarding the mod - it is rather time consuming to comb through the walls of text...

2 hours ago, Qwotty said:

if it is true that we two must keep our Exotic Matter levels higher than zero or else things will boom.

That's right. Don't let your warp drive flameout (whether exotic matter or electric charge) or it will kraken. Players tend to flameout on electric charge because they use the drive to generate exotic matter while burning it and it punishes their electric generation.

0SbiGjO.png

I finally figured out how to draw a line! The lines in this image depict the X (red), Y (green), and Z (blue) axis of where vessels will spawn. My next goal is to draw the bounding box where the spawned vessel will appear, and after that, let users move that spawn location around to avoid collisions.

I made a helicarrier :).  Been wanting to make one like this for a long time now, finally got a design that will remain stable long enough to exit to tracking station. 

However, reloading it currently explodes the vessel due to too much stress on the supporting "landed-anchored" parts.  I might try again using more structural fuselages to support, currently looking for solutions.

So, today I landed a Rover on the Mun. I won't show you the rocket I used to ferry it, because it was the ugliest thing I've ever built, and I took no screenshots.

YRFPwD6.jpeg

I have Science Lab on the Mun, as a small Outpost/Science Farm. I deliberately set the Rover down about three Biomes away, to spend some time Roving and collecting Science Data. You can't really see it from this angle, but I've loaded it up with all the instruments I could.

On the journey, I couldn't help but notice something new on the horizon.

Vrom0dQ.jpeg

Kerbin-Rise has never happened to me before. not in daylight, from the Surface. So I drove towards it at full speed, looking for the best shot. I like this next one the most, how about you guys?

AbMu9Nb.jpeg

Also, if you've been following me, you know that I usually set my Boosters with docking ports and Probe controls, so that I can get them into orbit, and reuse them as engine nacelles for larger spacecraft.

Here's the latest one. In honor of my first Duna-Flight for this replay, I have named her the SS Bobbi Draper.

TpFaYbL.jpeg

I've been experimenting with ways to save fuel on arrival at other planets. This time around, I decided to use the three 'Nacelles' for the outgoing flight, then transfer all the fuel into the central tank, and detach the empty ones. Saves a lot of weight for deceleration.

I also used gravity assists from Duna to slow me down, and toss me towards Ike. A small adjustment on the way to Ike meant I passed in front of it for another Gravity Assist. This puts the Draper's arrival in orbit of Ike, with plenty of Delta-V left for transfer back to Duna itself once I've farmed some more science here. Ike's gravity is so low, I can use the Lander for two trips One to Ike, one to Duna.

oUoYtVl.jpeg

Side note, the two Nacelles I let go of for my deceleration burn? They were slowed down enough on the path to Duna that they actually fell into a high, elliptical, but stable orbit after I let them go. I have two (admittedly empty) Booster Engines that I could, conceivably, capture, refuel, and dock back into the Draper for a Return flight to Kerbin.