[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

4 hours ago, tjsnh said:

A couple comments on various stuff being discussed :

That little car/bus/van looks great! Would be nice to have something like that to zip around KSC in, is it coming in a release?

Regarding all the talk of Fins - folks, KSP's physics engine has a rough time with finless rockets - always has, probably always will. I'm one of those folks who cares about "looks" on the launchers, so I generally just clip the fins into the fuel tanks so they can't be seen. They still function just fine, and you can't even tell the difference (visually). For launchers like the Proton etc , they often work fine without fins (depending on payload) but if you're REALLY having trouble just clip some small fins into the bottom of the first stage fuel tank and 90% of your problems will be solved - I promise.

The more I think about it, the more that a set of gridfins would make a great addition.

Yes I agree very much, from experience flying now.

61363b3708.jpg

2 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

I get the black prince to orbit (craft file from the dropbox) without flipping, using full throttle without a problem. Just steer absolutely prograde during staging, and stage fast. This craft(file) has ZERO attitude control besides the stage1 and 2 engines gimbal, so any deviation HAS to result in a spin sooner or later.

If you slap on just the slightest amount of a flywheel then it can be launched single handed without paying attention to anything.

I've been a bit foolish launching the rocket with this as a payload.

Cube1.png

Has this part never had torque? 

I'll try with a 0.625 reaction wheel when I can.

7 hours ago, hanhan658 said:

@Beale OK i explained too... but anyways, how can i do With missing parts, since i have missing parts?

But what is that car... is the car in this parts pack

1 hour ago, MrMeeb said:

I need this dorky thing in my life! :D 

1 hour ago, Noah_Blade said:

Its the Soviet Smart-Car!

It was somewhat popular quite a long time ago, but I never could get the wheels to work!

It started as an attempt to model this, but fell apart.

Soviet_UAZ_mini-van.jpg

@hanhan658 I'm still not sure what you are asking, what is the problem you have?

It looks like the difference between success and failure is 5KN of torque...

Thanks @InsaneDruid for the tip off.

8a89914a01.jpg

Edit: My goodness, even 0.5KN (Hecs core) will be sufficient (which the Prospero itself can provide).

b184c862cc.jpg

So! I think the issue is (once again) solved! Many thanks for the help. As said earlier, a few usernames (or parts) of usernames have ended up in the part names & descriptions (The only way I can think of saying thanks).

What's left before release.

• Yellow and Black Decoupler (redundant?)
  • Make the fairing red
  • Prospero

I have included the USI file from @hendrack for next release too.Thanks!

Edited by Beale

5 hours ago, Beale said:

Yes I agree very much, from experience flying now.

61363b3708.jpg

I've been a bit foolish launching the rocket with this as a payload.

Cube1.png

Has this part never had torque? 

I'll try with a 0.625 reaction wheel when I can.

It was somewhat popular quite a long time ago, but I never could get the wheels to work!

It started as an attempt to model this, but fell apart.

Soviet_UAZ_mini-van.jpg

@hanhan658 I'm still not sure what you are asking, what is the problem you have?

Oh my Godness! That's referring to a model sometimes used by the Stasi in former GDR - stuffed with "technology" to observate lots of citizens. Anyway: a lot of years from that - it fits perfectly to a Udssr-like package :D .

Just now, Jeb Jawkins said:

Oh my Godness! That's referring to a model sometimes used by the Stasi in former GDR - stuffed with "technology" to observate lots of citizens. Anyway: a lot of years from that - it fits perfectly to a Udssr-like package :D .

Oh dear, I didn't realize it had that history! :blush:
Good job my current model is hardly related.

By the way, here is the "vent mode" on the SRB.

Once activated you can see the fuel decompress and evaporate (Because solid fuel grains evaporate in my world).
The fuel amount goes down very quickly, and engine no longer produces thrust.

End Result: You can shut down SRB early for precise burns, but you cannot "cheat" and restart it much later. Once activated the fuel will be depleted in one go, vented or burnt.

5d111e6719.jpgae80e3b4db.jpg

36 minutes ago, Jeb Jawkins said:

An UAZ? Would rather say an Barkas B 1000 or an Robur LO xD

1 hour ago, Beale said:

By the way, here is the "vent mode" on the SRB.

Once activated you can see the fuel decompress and evaporate (Because solid fuel grains evaporate in my world).
The fuel amount goes down very quickly, and engine no longer produces thrust.

End Result: You can shut down SRB early for precise burns, but you cannot "cheat" and restart it much later. Once activated the fuel will be depleted in one go, vented or burnt.

Beale could you PM me explaining how to do that? It sounds cool and a better solution to SRBs than I have.

1 hour ago, InsaneDruid said:

An UAZ? Would rather say an Barkas B 1000 or an Robur LO xD

It's actually all build upon the same frame but named differently depending on where the engine has been assebmled and where it's been sold. Anyway - whipping the serious part of history aside: this thing just fits the soyuz-themed pack perfectly.

3 minutes ago, Beale said:

What are the problems?

18 Polygons, 128x128 texture map.

69acd22e23.jpg91d845edb0.jpg1e44427b3c.jpg

Personally I like the texture, but in my opinion it sticks out too far, I'd rotate it so that the long end is the attachment point. Just my two cents.

27 minutes ago, OTmikhail said:

Personally I like the texture, but in my opinion it sticks out too far, I'd rotate it so that the long end is the attachment point. Just my two cents.

17 minutes ago, hraban said:

The fin lacks profile and finer edges. A sweep with fewer or more than 45 ° would also be a visual improvement.

The shape is based on many drawings I found online:

attachment.php?attachmentid=62379&d=13569f61ee976c51c6da1e7306369d3ac484.jpgd1b626c384.jpg

Proton

1394c8afcf.jpgf7c8f8d491.jpg

Edited by Beale

Hi everyone,

I did not have any good time on KSP for more than three months from now but hopes to get back to it soon. I remember there were a lot of requests in December for new crafts links but I can't find some of the posts that contained the files. Does someone could tell me whether an R-7 craft file is available and works with the latest updates of Tantares? I often was using the old Semiorka for light launches before and one of the updates just prevent to use the file as before (but Proton and Ariane V were fully operational).

Thank you

3 minutes ago, hanhan658 said:

Are there absolutely nobody answear me what is the van/bus thingy!?

It really is just a van / bus, as Mr. Meeb says. No special design or brand :) 

@CobaltWolf Neato!

@XB-70A, Expand the spoiler tags on the first page, under the last one you will find some craft files, but they might be out of date :) 

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

The shape is based on many drawings I found online:

On close photos you see the fins adapter on the boosters. I'm not sure but i think the fins was stearable. The fast build model looks closer to the soyuz else your flat half toast ;)

4u2NAAW.png

54 minutes ago, hraban said:

On close photos you see the fins adapter on the boosters. I'm not sure but i think the fins was stearable. The fast build model looks closer to the soyuz else your flat half toast ;)

Nice, I see now some more finesse in the fin you have made, with the curves :) I can perhaps revisit mine sometime soon.

That being said, I am currently trying to emulate the stock basic fin, with the sharp points.

BasicFin.png

Big-G screenshots

3c3f0cee89.jpg

Edited by Beale