26 members have voted

1. 1. Who plants your flags?

• Pilot
    • Scientist
    • Engineer
    • I rotate it to make it fair
    • I use a name not a job title ie Jeb
    • Purely random

Let’s say you have a mission somewhere like the Mun and you decide to plant a flag to commemorate the occasion. Do you have a system for deciding who plants it?

For me, i see the pilots as the commanders of the mission and once on the surface they have nothing to do so I get them to plant it usually. (I get the engineers to drive a rover if there is one).

But then it’s kind of a science thing so sometimes i get scientists to do it.

Then I feel sorry for engineers as they are getting left out, so I get them to do it as well.

Sometimes I might have 2 pilots etc so I’ve had them plant 2 flags to make it ‘fair’.

Does anyone else have a system or am I unnecessarily obsessing over the feelings of a set of green pixels?

23 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

Does anyone else have a system or am I unnecessarily obsessing over the feelings of a set of green pixels?

For me it's usually the highest ranking kerbal, I'm using the final frontier mod, for which someone has made military ranks, can't remember who.

Ranks are granted through achievements on previous missions, except for the orange suits, they are high ranking officers. 

I've pretty much stopped planting flags, I got fed up of them falling over and rolling downhill for ages due to a glitch that gets fixed then re-emerges every so often.  Also the 'unlimited supply' of flags seems a bit off somehow.

Instead I deploy the science controller, which serves exactly the same function as a flag, for me in sandbox anyway, and it just feels more purposeful.   I will generally use a scientist to deploy them.

Strange question.

The Senior Colour Guard Officer, of course. It's a dedicated crew member, deserving this honour.
The Secretary of the Board Party Organization assists and blesses.

Just thought...

Don't you have local party organizations of your crews? Elect the presidium? Have the monthly party meetings? Collect the montly party dues?

There are 3 Kerbals in Mk2. Exactly the traditional minimum for a local party organisation.

So, any Kerbal profession can plant the flag, if he/she is elected.

That's how the real party democracy works.

Edited by kerbiloid

:D well actually I used to but the “Kerbal Electoral Ballots” stopped being updated at 1.4 and now clashes with “Better Flag Planting Redux” as well so I’m stuck.

Everyone on the mission plants a flag, since that's how experience is given.  The Commander's flag is the only one that stays, though.

Per established policy: Mission Commander must be a pilot with at least one previous flight, or a non-pilot with at least three previous missions.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:53 PM, Slam_Jones said:

Everyone that needs the XP plants a flag on my missions.

Didn’t they change it so any Kerbal within physics range (maybe in orbit even?) gets the bonus as well to save the need to flag spam?

12 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

Didn’t they change it so any Kerbal within physics range (maybe in orbit even?) gets the bonus as well to save the need to flag spam?

Is that so?  I haven't kept up with KSP development since... well before the DLCs at least lol.

Currently playing on 1.8.1 since it has the mods I wanted.  Would be great if what you said applies to that version!  Would save me a lot of time lol

14 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

Yes, this was changed so that everyone on the mission gets credit for the flag-planting. It used to be kind of a tedious grinding exercise for all the kerbals to plan their own flag.

90% of the time it's the one that's there, because that's the only kerbal on the ship.

5% of the time it's the one who happened to get out first, decided maybe 50/50 by who I happened to hover my mouse over or who actually had to get out for whatever specific task I was doing.

The other 5% of the time it's the one that I remember to do it on later, some time between disembarking and leaving.

(I'm not counting the fairly large number of times I either don't bother to plant a flag or forgot to)

I usually give it to whomever has the least work to do on the surface. I didn't drag your little green butt all the way to the Mun just for you to sit in the cockpit eatin' snacks while Bill and bob set up a bunch of science equipment!

On 5/28/2021 at 2:01 AM, mikegarrison said:

Yes, this was changed so that everyone on the mission gets credit for the flag-planting.

Do you happen to know whether everyone has to leave the vessel for that to work?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.