KSP2 System Requirements

Dakota

I'm not very well versed in GPUs or CPUs but from what I can tell my GTX 1070 isn't going to meet the minimum, sad. I find it strange that the GPU requirement is so much higher than the CPU requirement.

Edited by Lach_01298

24 minutes ago, K^2 said:

You can basically think of the game that got announced in 2019 as being canceled, and a new one with the same name and similar concept being developed by a different studio.

There's no evidence that the publisher cut bait and left all the assets, code and project work behind when they transitioned to their own studio - there was certainly no guidance like this to investors, who would have to be informed if previous investment in the property was being written off.   I'd call this take on events revisionist frankly.

None of us can accurately predict what the release schedule will be.  All of our varied predictions are based on what info we're permitted to know, and massaging or re-framing the past doesn't really serve any helpful purpose here.

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

KSP2 has also to run, eventually, things like this, probably leaving more taxing physics calculations on much larger ships, colonies and stations on faster GPU.

Not only that.. but maybe also doing the event recordings I have talked about.
Or maybe the clouds / terrain / planets are to blame. Would make sense why they all were low quality in the videos.

Edited by Vl3d

In short, this hurts; but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm just barely tech savvy enough to assemble a PC, upgrading part by part...

I've only ever bought a totally new PC once in my life, more than ten years ago. At the time, i spent more money than I was entirely comfortable with; because I wanted a bit of 'future proofing'. I've had the same box for more than ten years as a result.

It might be time for another 'future proofing' investment.

This is gonna hurt, no question; but it would open up my PC to many games I never even looked at, because the specs were so far out of reach.

9 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

KSP2 has also to run, eventually, things like this, probably leaving more taxing physics calculations on much larger ships, colonies and stations on faster GPU.

These are the requirements for 0.1 though, not 1.0, I doubt they'd base the specs recommendations on a part of the game thats a year away

Edited by Strawberry

Is there any other game that has higher GPU requirements than what was shown for KSP2?

@PD_Dakota People are seeing 2060RTX and panicking thinking that they have to buy a new graphics card when a 1080GTX performs better. 

Wouldn't it be better to have minimum requirements for GPUs (and CPUs) that are older?

A week before KSP2 comes out people are thinking they have to fork out 100s of dollars.

CAN ANY DEVS PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS?

With the minimum/recommended what they are,  there was also the added nuance of what settings/resolution they corresponded to. KSP is really unique though in that requirements are greatly dependent on how big and in what way a player builds a ship. Is there any chance you can provide context to these numbers like part count/fps correlation to these specs?

Cause I know that not many people here are used to getting even 30fps by the time they have a 300 part ship and if these specs are to include being in a 200 part ship next to a 1500 part station while maintaining 60fps I think people might understand more about what the system requirements mean.

3 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

CAN ANY DEVS PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS?

The devs are busy making the game, haven't you heard, it's out in a week!

Just now, Anth12 said:

its minimum GPU is a 1060GTX... not a 2060RTX

and it gives only 30fps at 720p. And it needs more memory. And then there's ultra settings...

On first look, these requirements are truly atrocious. I suspect that these are very conservative estimates made with enough margin to comfortably run it. KSP as a game tends to get laggy with its physics, so chances are they want to set a bar with enough wiggle room as not to deter new arrivals.

Despite having a strong computer that can run it, I hope these statistics improve. Chances are they will since this is EA, and I would say consoles but I concede that I don't know if consoles are still in the crosshairs for this game.

7 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Yes. And there will be more. Welcome to new generation of gaming everyone.

Forspoken is not a good example.

Also there is possible to make game with 2000's visuals which cant run stable 60 even on RTX 4090.

It not mean it's new/next generation. It means only that devs forgot to optimize.

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

and it gives only 30fps at 720p. And it needs more memory. And then there's ultra settings...

I mean... a 1060GTX is a terrible card to use for any game in my opinion but for KSP2 a 1080GTX should be doable but instead we get a 2060RTX as a requirement (ignoring radeon cards)

Please understand that this is the price we have to pay for a great Multiplayer experience with Colonies and Interstellar travel in the future. At one point there will be multiple 1000+ parts spacecrafts on-screen and your computer has to be able to handle it.

Edited by Vl3d

10 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

The devs are busy making the game, haven't you heard, it's out in a week!

Fair, but a bunch of the potential buyers just got scared away from that game from the specs they just listed and I think that matters. Im on a laptop with a GTX 1650 and am genuinely not very concerned (I've been <10 fps gaming for most of my life), but a lot of people are (dear god discord is going nuts) 

So if that question (which takes very little time to answer) isn't addressed then that will probably leave a lot of buyers to not even trying the game out

Edited by mcwaffles2003

1 hour ago, Rocket Farmer said:

You are surprised that the minimum specs on a brand new game are a 7th tier card that is 5 years old?

You base this on your previous experience of a 9th tier card being able to run a 4 year old game?

Any reason I shouldn't be surprised that KSP 2 has higher minimum specs than a program that renders this in real time on an old card?

AD-Beautyshot-Doppler-Peek1-1536x864.jpg

Okay, to be fair, I was around to see the development of relativistic geodesics, and it certainly was way heftier on the GPU in mid-2022 than when the developers considered it release-worthy 2 months and 1 day ago, so it isn't like I'm not familiar with how development will pan out as the graphics receive optimisations. Still, consider me caught off-guard.

Just now, Vl3d said:

Please understand that this is the price we have to pay for a great Multiplayer experience with Colonies and Interstellar travel in the future. At one point there will be multiple 1000+ spacecrafts on-screen and your computer has to be able to handle it.

Man... there is no even close to MP if it ever be added at all

What i say... there is no even science/tech tree.

@K^2 Curious about what insights you may have on this. What are the chances that the GPU is going to be doing more than just the graphics on KSP 2? I've run multiphysics simulations in certain types of CAD software and they can greatly improve the performance of how that software calculates what ever I've asked of it so long as my GPU has enough VRAM.

Basically, do you think they've offloaded some of the CPU intensive processes to the GPU, which would in turn drive up the GPU requirements?

KSP 2 is now getting attention from Subreddit Drama, and...

Spoiler

"Yeah, a couple of floating models in a high res skybox and the framerate is crap . What the hell?"

"This drama is so many years old it fell off the radar. Thanks for the share, time to buy some popcorn."

"Say the line Miyamoto!"

"I can understand needing a moderately beefy CPU once you have multiple objects being simulated at once at faster-than-realtime, but if what they've shown actually requires an i5 6400 and RTX 2060 to even begin playing then the only explanation is that it's mining bitcoin in the background."

dd0.png

13 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

And then there's ultra settings...

is above the recommended, witch is a 3070. No one in their right mind sets recommended spec, as new 80 class card. Setting a 2060 as the min was just stupid, there are old faster cards that would have lessened the blow. The 20 series was a turning point in GPU, a 75% markup. 

Had another thought regarding the hefty GPU specs:

I'd much rather the graphics be poorly optimized (which is an assumption, not fact) than the physics.  The skills for optimizing 3D graphics are much more ubiquitous in the workforce since they've been required for basically every game since the 90s.  The KSP2 devs will also have more knowledge and support available from Nvidia, AMD, Intel, and Unity since graphics optimization such a common task.  Even if graphics are poorly optimized now, there's a good chance they will get better.

If the bottleneck was physics on the CPU, like in KSP1, I'd be much more worried.  The detailed physics in KSP2 is somewhat unique to this game and probably requires lots of custom in-house solutions to function.  If physics were broken on Feb 24, then there may not be a clear path forward to making it better.  I'd also like to note that I've been scrutinizing every clip of landing legs, rover wheels, and cargo bays and believe the kracken will be mild to non-existent even during EA.

Or maybe I'm just huffing copium... luckily in a week we won't have to speculate and fret anymore.

Just now, poopslayer78 said:

The skills for optimizing 3D graphics are much more ubiquitous in the workforce since they've been required for basically every game since the 90s.

yet they didn't hire anyone with those skills.