[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 6/21/2023 at 12:04 PM, CobaltWolf said:

I can see there has been a lot of discussion since my last post (4 pages?), I will have to come back later today and reply to as many specific posts as I can.

Hey, so I lied. Whoops. Taking care of bed bugs is a lot of work, it turns out.

On 6/16/2023 at 6:39 PM, Richmountain112 said:

Sometimes I use the Gemini-Centaur for Mun flybys.

You should share pictures!

On 6/17/2023 at 8:06 PM, Kaleta said:

Hey, I am just putting some random ideas here (some may have already been asked/posted but I can't be be bothered to read all 1100+ pages)

My first idea would be a MEM lander and or tug. I think someone may have already asked this so I wont go further. (also I am aware there is a MEM mod already, although I think it may be partially outdated)

On 6/18/2023 at 5:31 PM, davidy12 said:

Personally, a MEM Lander and NERVA Tug inspired by the Space Task Group would be great, but it's all on the BDB team.

I could see us doing MEM at some point, it's just things take time so me saying "I'd like to do it" means it might take a couple more years once I commit to it haha.

On 6/17/2023 at 8:06 PM, Kaleta said:

The second idea I have is possible LASS (LM Adapter Surface Station) parts? I have seem pictures of people who have made their own versions (kitbashes though), but I don't think we have any actually dedicated parts for it.

We've looked into it before, but the document doesn't seem to be available, sadly.

On 6/18/2023 at 10:31 AM, The Dressian Exploder said:

This is probably outside of the scope of BDB, but I think a set of parts for an LLRV could be pretty cool... I can see parts of it being pretty lego-able, too.

I'd probably say nah to the LLRV, just not enough practical uses for it vs making actual lander variants.

On 6/18/2023 at 7:01 PM, RocketBoy1641 said:

Watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture while I contemplate if I am going to do a voyager series long enough to get to V'ger....

On 6/18/2023 at 10:01 PM, RocketBoy1641 said:

Hmmm, Voyager 6.  I supose.... that's gonna take some thinking though since we only did two of them.

I was thinking the one from Space 1999

On 6/18/2023 at 11:04 PM, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Maybe A Uranus/Neptune Orbiter?

On 6/18/2023 at 11:13 PM, kspbutitscursed said:

or maybe a pluto or neptune orbiter

You'll have to ask Invader, but I think there are some Voyager variants planned.

On 6/19/2023 at 12:44 AM, Kaleta said:

Oh and, just one little question about development, will there be a Grumman LSS rover? (There isn't much out there about it, the only pictures I could find were ones combining it with the LESA and/or ALSS, and a 1-man version mockup from the early 60s) There is already a large rover platform for the LM truck in this mod so I was thinking if that exists, maybe the LSS could be a thing? Also, I'll add some pictures below later, but in short it kind of looks like the 1992 project PLR.

Probably not the Grumman LSS, but I have had my ear turned a bit to making a MOLAB-type rover at some point. The problem is there's a lot of different designs for it, and I'd want to kind of pick one and stick with it.

On 6/19/2023 at 1:45 AM, RocketBoy1641 said:

Uninstall the engine ignitor mod.  It can be a fun realism challenge; but honestly the 50 lights on the CMS is their way of saying hypergolic systems are limitless relights.

On 6/19/2023 at 3:30 AM, Kaleta said:

Why thank you! Yeah I guess my brain just forgot that it was probably a mod included with the pack that BDB's download comes with :/.

Wait, is Engine Ignitor itself included in the download? I thought it was just compatibility cfgs.

On 6/19/2023 at 3:30 AM, Kaleta said:

Also it seems that to post images I need a URL? Kind of annoying but I can just post images to discord and use that URL.

Yeah that's how you have to do it, never really thought that hard about it. I still use Imgur to upload my pics for the thread.

On 6/19/2023 at 5:08 AM, Kaleta said:

Liking the new LM lab IVA... :wink:

It has an IVA???

On 6/22/2023 at 11:42 PM, zakkpaz said:

Can someone please tell me where all the new parts on Helios go?

On 6/23/2023 at 6:22 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

This is how I remember Cobalt building it during the last dev stream. Also, my memory sucks, just sayin.

Pretty much... there's only one MM detector on the bottom, and the photometers go in 3x symmetry. I explained on the stream, there were some compromises I had to make for those experiments.

And I also did an MOL (well, without the laboratory) for an Eve flyby. Unfortunately, the Gemini spacecraft exploded during reentry and I had to cheat to get back.

https://imgur.com/a/llqlcfA

Unfortunately I don't think I have any images of my Gemini-Centaur mun flybys.

Edit: I actually do: https://imgur.com/a/AjeID7x

Also, how do I attach the Apollo Telescope mount to the S-IVB LM Adapter? I'm using it for a Gilly landing so that I don't have to take an entire S-IVB with me as well.

Edited by Richmountain112

On 6/24/2023 at 11:27 PM, Blufor878 said:

First, thank you! 

Second, I have enough stuff in orbit/the mun on my Saturn V save (yes I have a save/company devoted solely to Saturn derivatives, trust me it gets worse). I don’t think my pc could handle 30+ SIV pusher stages in orbit at the same time ON TOP of everything else.

I’m just gonna stick with Nova for now. Also helps that Kerbol physics is easier to manage…

Actually, you launch a C-3 sans payload (just attach a fairing that can be removed off the forward docking ports for S-IVC.   Then Launch another one, chain the two S-IVCs together in line,  Then another one, then another one (I think you need 4 S-IVCs joined up.)  Then you launch a bunch of C-2 with S-VICs that are used for end on refueling of Hydrogen (they would have carried a second Hydrogen tank and offloaded most of the Hydrogen to the "tinker toy" buss in space.   Then launch the Lander payload sans crew... Join it at the front of the chain.  A final Hydrogen top-off and a C-2 with an Apollo Capsule with four crew spots.    Dock with the Tinker toy in space, offload crew and more hydrogen... then immediately send the chain off to the Moon. :D

You can do this in most of the KSP echo sphere with less than the required 34 launches due to being subscale so boiloff is easier to contend with.

27 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Actually, you launch a C-3 sans payload (just attach a fairing that can be removed off the forward docking ports for S-IVC.   Then Launch another one, chain the two S-IVCs together in line,  Then another one, then another one (I think you need 4 S-IVCs joined up.)  Then you launch a bunch of C-2 with S-VICs that are used for end on refueling of Hydrogen (they would have carried a second Hydrogen tank and offloaded most of the Hydrogen to the "tinker toy" buss in space.   Then launch the Lander payload sans crew... Join it at the front of the chain.  A final Hydrogen top-off and a C-2 with an Apollo Capsule with four crew spots.    Dock with the Tinker toy in space, offload crew and more hydrogen... then immediately send the chain off to the Moon. :D

You can do this in most of the KSP echo sphere with less than the required 34 launches due to being subscale so boiloff is easier to contend with.

Yeah, that's what I meant. But I'm still sticking with Nova. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if I could use a regular Saturn V to do it in KSP physics.

The Saturn IC is enough for a Mun mission or (presumably) Eve/Duna flyby, but NOT enough for an Eve/Duna orbit or Gilly/Ike landing. I learned that the hard way; every time I launched a Gilly Landing mission with a Saturn IC, it explodes and doesn't get off the pad. Haven't tested it with Duna.

Edited by Richmountain112

Mun Bound

xlZbeD1.png

This NEVER gets old

On 6/25/2023 at 11:26 AM, CobaltWolf said:

I could see us doing MEM at some point, it's just things take time so me saying "I'd like to do it" means it might take a couple more years once I commit to it haha.

I mean... of all the things still left to be made. The MEM/Voyager stack, would be the ultimate holy grail to see be made in a stockalike form. 

5 hours ago, dababykerman said:

Is there a certain altitude that is best for getting a payload into orbit with vanguard? I can't seem to get it in orbit.

It has been a while (it is an ungainly beast).  Are you trying a hight lobbed orbit instead of a gravity turn?

9 hours ago, dababykerman said:

Is there a certain altitude that is best for getting a payload into orbit with vanguard? I can't seem to get it in orbit.

Please check out several posts on page 1175 for an answer. Vanguard and Scout are finicky beasts, but they will get you to orbit.

Edited by DaveyJ576
Added words

13 hours ago, dababykerman said:

Here's how we do it over here ... (specifically, at the KSC I keep at my house)

Spoiler

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

22 hours ago, dababykerman said:

Use the following flight profile (all distances referenced are height above sea level):

1. Start by ascending directly up.
  2. Starting at 1200m, turn 1 degree towards the east every 200m (5 degrees every 1000m) until you reach 45 degrees above horizontal, which should happen at 10000m (this is easiest accomplished using MechJeb's Smart ASS).
  3. Starting at 16km, turn 1 degree towards the east every 1km until you reach 15 degrees above horizontal, which should happen at 45km.
  4. At about 60km, point prograde until the second stage burns out.
  5. Once the second stage burns out, keep it attached to use its built-in RCS thrusters for control.
  6. Make sure you are facing east and are fully horizontal at about 30 seconds before you reach apoapsis; at this point, separate the second stage and allow the decoupler's built-in spin stabilization motors to spin up the payload.
  7. After the spin-stabilizing decoupler detaches itself, ignite the solid rocket motor before you reach apoapsis (the lead time should be about 1/3 of the total burn time of the solid rocket motor).

This flight profile should let you orbit any of the Vanguard payloads. Some variation of this flight profile (with the first 4 steps more or less the same) will work in a 2.7x scale system for almost any launch vehicle in BDB (the only exceptions that I've tested are Juno I and II, which require you to attain an apoapsis above the atmosphere with just the first stage and thus require a different turn rate).

Edited by septemberWaves

1 hour ago, septemberWaves said:

Use the following flight profile (all distances referenced are height above sea level):

1. Start by ascending directly up.
  2. Starting at 1200m, turn 1 degree towards the east every 200m (5 degrees every 1000m) until you reach 45 degrees above horizontal, which should happen at 10000m (this is easiest accomplished using MechJeb's Smart ASS).
  3. Starting at 16km, turn 1 degree towards the east every 1km until you reach 15 degrees above horizontal, which should happen at 45km.
  4. At about 60km, point prograde until the second stage burns out.
  5. Once the second stage burns out, keep it attached to use its built-in RCS thrusters for control.
  6. Make sure you are facing east and are fully horizontal at about 30 seconds before you reach apoapsis; at this point, separate the second stage and allow the decoupler's built-in spin stabilization motors to spin up the payload.
  7. After the spin-stabilizing decoupler detaches itself, ignite the solid rocket motor before you reach apoapsis (the lead time should be about 1/3 of the total burn time of the solid rocket motor).

This flight profile should let you orbit any of the Vanguard payloads. Some variation of this flight profile (with the first 4 steps more or less the same) will work in a 2.7x scale system for almost any launch vehicle in BDB (the only exceptions that I've tested are Juno I and II, which require you to attain an apoapsis above the atmosphere with just the first stage and thus require a different turn rate).

Would that be easier than just using MechJeb?

10 hours ago, dababykerman said:

Would that be easier than just using MechJeb?

MJ's ascent guidance doesn't work very well with solid-fuel rockets (not only BDB, but in general). You get best results flying them manually or at least semi-manually.

Please check out several posts on page 1175 for an answer. Vanguard and Scout are finicky beasts, but they will get you to orbit.

And with a few tweaks, a Scout can get an Agena upper-stage satellite and bus in orbit.

I have launched many an Agena D based Commsat into orbit this way.    Go Algol+4Castor4 for your 0/1st stages. Then 2nd Stage Algol, then Agena.   So I guess it isn't REALLY a scout, but it utilizes a lot of parts from Scout :P

Anyone played around with nuclear on the S-IV stage?  Looking at how you deal with heat now that we have heatsystems?  I want to keep boiloff down and the nukes look to create MASSIVE heat issues from a quick test I did yesterday in VAB.

20 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Anyone played around with nuclear on the S-IV stage?  Looking at how you deal with heat now that we have heatsystems?  I want to keep boiloff down and the nukes look to create MASSIVE heat issues from a quick test I did yesterday in VAB.

Are you using separate heat loops? you should use one for the tank and another for the NTR