[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

59 minutes ago, Gupyzer0 said:

Ah yes ... the science ... Perhaps strapping this into a Titan will give us some of that stuff.

On that note... I do have some plans for giving it useful, maybe even unique, science abilities. X-15 flew a number of different experiment payloads. I was lucky enough to find good source images for some, though I'd like more info on them.

20 hours ago, Ultim32 said:

I'm still trying to find a way to side-decouple superheavy boosters like the falcon heavy. Surface attach won't cooperate tho :/

19 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

Yeah, I noticed that the Atlas tank parts don't work with side/surface attachments. I assumed it was because that they were pressurized balloon tanks IRL. I might be wrong though. Y'all feel free to correct me.

Wow that was a long time ago but during the build stream for Atlas (miss those days) it was decided that since it was balloon and you IRL couldn't attach to it without some insane weirdness that you wouldn't be able to in the game either.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Since you've all been good...

GFN4sqL.png
Gbrp6Cb.png

That is perhaps the coolest thing I have ever seen, and this from a guy who has seen A LOT of cool things on BDB! :lol::)

3 hours ago, Gupyzer0 said:

Ah yes ... the science ... Perhaps strapping this into a Titan will give us some of that stuff.

2 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

See, this guy gets it. Although you spelled Saturn V wrong;).

Maybe "strapping this into" is a typo, too. Strapping several X-15's *onto* the side of Titan or Saturn could be recoverable flyback boosters ;) Someone will create worse horrors with into and onto in the same launch.

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

On that note... I do have some plans for giving it useful, maybe even unique, science abilities. X-15 flew a number of different experiment payloads. I was lucky enough to find good source images for some, though I'd like more info on them.

Well, don't know much about the payloads onboard the X-15 but more atmospheric experiments sounds good to me! Guess you can start with a classic/default Goo experiment :D. In my kerbalism config already adapted the RP-1 experiments to capsules so would be nice to also have some extra science defs. for experiments in hypersonic aircraft.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Gupyzer0

19 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes, it's intentional. It's actually a tag that you can apply to colliders in Unity that prevents radial attachment, regardless of the attach rules for the part. I discovered it around the time of the last Atlas revamp. It felt like it was an opportunity to introduce some interesting decision making for the player - in terms of 1.875m "workhorse" rockets, you had two options. You could go for maximum single-stick performance with the balloon tank Atlas, but if you needed something more than that, you'd have to move to the less efficient Titan, which allowed for multiple cores and thus scaled more at the higher performance end.

Have I been building my Atlas-IIAS wrong? I mount 4 solids to the booster skirt. Did the real thing have some kind of tank reinforcement to support the extra twr? I'm always really uncertain how atlas-ii works anyway. It's stage 1.5 according to Wikipedia but the twr is horrible. Forcing me to launch with a high AP. 

On 1/19/2024 at 3:50 AM, Pappystein said:

Because every Wikipedia page I edit, citing sources, people argue with me and say I am wrong and the old page was better, and my changes are ALWAYS erased.
I am fed up with trying to fix Wikipeda because "No it used to say that" is more important than what is right... 

Why don't you make a separate tread here on the forums with every stage and it's history? I read some of the things here but it gets lost in 1200 pages of BDB. 

10 hours ago, Gupyzer0 said:

Well, don't know much about the payloads onboard the X-15 but more atmospheric experiments sounds good to me! Guess you can start with a classic/default Goo experiment :D. In my kerbalism config already adapted the RP-1 experiments to capsules so would be nice to also have some extra science defs. for experiments in hypersonic aircraft.

Keep up the good work!

At this rate, it sounds like I will be making multiple swappable experiments for the 3 different locations (payload bay aft of the cockpit, the wing pods, and aft of the dorsal vertical stabilizer). Goo would be good, even better would be a micro materials bay - very in line with what the X-15 actually researched.

What RP-1 experiments are you talking about? Anything that would be worth adding directly to BDB for the X-15?

4 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Have I been building my Atlas-IIAS wrong? I mount 4 solids to the booster skirt. Did the real thing have some kind of tank reinforcement to support the extra twr? I'm always really uncertain how atlas-ii works anyway. It's stage 1.5 according to Wikipedia but the twr is horrible. Forcing me to launch with a high AP. 

No, 2AS attached the solids to the booster skirt - it's one of the only "structural" parts of the whole rocket. It's specifically the main colliders on the balloon tank sections. By the way, @Zorg, were you planning on continuing that setup with the new parts?

VwXyoSV.png

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

VwXyoSV.png

The Space Pencil is coming nicely. As for launching it without a B-52? I'd say strap a booster to the back and launch it vertically ala Dyna Soar, is it unconventional? Yes, is it Kerbal Also yes.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

What RP-1 experiments are you talking about? Anything that would be worth adding directly to BDB for the X-15?

RP-1 includes Hypersonic Flight (> 1.5 km/s & Flying Low) and High Altitude Flight (> 650 m/s & Flying High) for the X-15 cockpit.

These are, however, using the Kerbalism science system. I'm not sure if that sort of thing is possible with stock science.

Edited by Razgriz1

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

By the way, @Zorg, were you planning on continuing that setup with the new parts?

I haven't decided yet. I like the idea behind the way you did previously and it makes sense to differentiate balance wise. However adding that tag would complicate the ability to create some interesting Atlas test flight variants that had markings around decoy and scientific passenger pods. My thought was to make decals for those since its not feasible to have all those as texture variants...

1 hour ago, septemberWaves said:

The X-15 is making me wonder if it's possible for some form of RP-1's air-launch system to be decoupled from RP-1 for things like this. It'd be useful for Pegasus too.

The air launch is provided by Kerbal Construction Time, in the non-RO version the air-launch availability is tied to the tech tree, on the Supersonic Flight, High Altitude Flight and Hypersonic Flight nodes for the different capability levels. While you do need to have KCT's build queue system enabled to interact with air-launch (as far as I know), it is possible to configure the build speed to be near instantaneous if you don't want to include the time to build delay aspect of the mod.

1 hour ago, Aelfhe1m said:

The air launch is provided by Kerbal Construction Time, in the non-RO version the air-launch availability is tied to the tech tree, on the Supersonic Flight, High Altitude Flight and Hypersonic Flight nodes for the different capability levels. While you do need to have KCT's build queue system enabled to interact with air-launch (as far as I know), it is possible to configure the build speed to be near instantaneous if you don't want to include the time to build delay aspect of the mod.

Wait what? It spawns you in the air at speed?

13 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Why don't you make a separate tread here on the forums with every stage and it's history? I read some of the things here but it gets lost in 1200 pages of BDB. 

Or just click the link in my signature? :D

19 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

The Space Pencil is coming nicely. As for launching it without a B-52? I'd say strap a booster to the back and launch it vertically ala Dyna Soar, is it unconventional? Yes, is it Kerbal Also yes.

Yes, something like the SM-64 Navaho cruise missile, except with the X-15 as the payload.

Edit… Wow, that was actually proposed! Google “X-15 on Navaho”. Pretty cool. 

Edited by DaveyJ576
Added Part

23 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I meant the kerbalism cockpit experiments RP-1 has not exactly experiments with samples Here's the link of them on my still in the works kerbalism config which are basically the same RP-1 has.

So for now nope, nothing worth adding to BDB for the X-15, more like I'm waiting to see what you come up with so I can make the kerbalism config on my stuff :D

3 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Yes, something like the SM-64 Navaho cruise missile, except with the X-15 as the payload.

What the ... 

Oh well, wasn't there a proposal for getting F-104s up quick using rockets? :cool:

4 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

CDN media

I'm down with this.

Edited by Pudgemountain

56 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

CDN media

I'm down with this.

I was thinking Brownsville to the Cape, or the Cape to Wallops for a flight path. That way you could dump the booster in the drink. I have Johnston Island in my KSRSS mod, so possibly from there to Vandenberg. 

19 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Yup, up to 25t launched at 272m/s at up to 13750m altitude on the highest unlocked level of the default configs. And it can launch you at a point up to 1000 km from the KSC in any direction too.

I feel much better about not wanting to make Balls Eight then.

6 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

2 hours ago, Gupyzer0 said:

What the ...

Oh well, wasn't there a proposal for getting F-104s up quick using rockets? :cool:

1 hour ago, Pudgemountain said:

I'm down with this.

38 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I was thinking Brownsville to the Cape, or the Cape to Wallops for a flight path. That way you could dump the booster in the drink. I have Johnston Island in my KSRSS mod, so possibly from there to Vandenberg. 

From what I've read, the definitive plan would have been to use Saturn 1.