[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

16 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

If you're standing in front of the ladder, facing back towards the LM, the MESA should be on the left side. It's wrong in both sets of blufor's screenshots (Love ya tho!)

The LM Taxi is basically just a modified (2-stage) LM. I don't know if I'd even say it was uprated - the modifications mostly revolve around making sure it can survive at least one lunar night and still reliably get the crew back to orbit.

Something to remember is there's no single LM Taxi, Shelter, etc. I have a bunch of different docs and made something of a pastiche of my favorite elements from each. Most LM Taxis still assumed a 2-member crew (and only one would do surface EVAs at a time! Sounds scary), but I gave it 3 capacity since I wanted people to be able to take full advantage of the larger habs.

Yeah, I noticed that when I compared it to the regular LEM craft file. My bad.

Edited by Blufor878

22 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Sorry, I built a Saturn 2 but can't control it. The SRBs and J-2s don't have thrust vector, so I can't control the vehicle. 

Here is my Saturn II flight.

XJw0OnT.png

YhT0R7M.png

VxDz7WN.png

Od8cl7M.png

xF01s74.png

I flew it to a nice 250 km orbit with MechJeb on classic ascent profile with plenty of fuel in the S-IVB remaining. I had no issues with roll, yaw, or pitch control. Your problem may be coming from a setting in the PAWs shown below:

5OO0zt8.png

gE4YxI7.png

Make sure the button for Gimbal is set to "Free". Hope this helps!

Edited by DaveyJ576

12 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

That's great! Thank you! Manatee Aerospace always has the best craft.

I'm not that good. KSP is just a good means of creating things out of my delusions (minus the cognitohazards, I hope).
But anyway thank you, and I hope you enjoy it!

One tip:  watch your engines on the descent. I find I have to use them heavily to land at a slow enough velocity. Or use the upper stage. This thing is super-overpowered.

I once again have a very niche request/suggestion for @CobaltWolf

How about a closed nosecone variant for the super wide SLA? I know there's the SAF fairing, but id like to have physical fairing sections for launching payloads without CSM

Edited by Alpha512

10 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Do you have the craft file?

Nevermind, I do still have them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps2vd15f6bqusx0/C8 Rockets.rar?dl=0

You'll need BDB (Obviously) , NFLV and Restock+ for the non-tower variants and Modular Launch Towers for the tower variants. 

Btw, @Blufor878 If you make the engines just touching the skirt, you can fit 8 engines comfortably.

JKLRjoh.png

Edited by GoldForest

On 5/1/2023 at 3:32 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Ooh, I have some notes!

• LM Shelter should be using the Truck descent stage
  • Extra batteries should be placed on both the front/rear. 
  • The LM deployable radiator should go on the black rectangular feature on the back left quadrant.
  • The single deployable RTG should go on the bottom left of the back right quadrant, not the front.
    • There's also the quad surface-mount RTGs, which I liked better for the LM Shelter, but we're already at the point where this is a pastiche of different proposals.
    • Incidentally, that means the MESA can go in its original position.

Ha, to be fair, usually that's because they're asking about C-8 and not the broader Nova family. So I'll answer this one.

In terms of the Nova rockets, I think it's probably a lot more work than you realize. That's a lot of new tanks, adapters, decouplers, fairing bases, interstages, engine mounts, etc etc etc... doing it any sort of justice would be as much work as the Saturn parts themselves, and that's without the plethora of photos and documents I had to work from for the Saturn parts. So it's a lot of work with not a lot to go on - and I'll be honest, I'm not particularly good at creating things whole-cloth.

I will say that the Nova parts do feel more appropriate in KSP2, but to be clear we have absolutely no plans to do them.

I understand, although I wasn't asking about the C-8, I was more curious about the broader family, like the Martin Marietta designs for example. If I had a good enough skill in 3D modeling, I would attempt to do it myself, but I'm nowhere near that level rn

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf I just noticed that the Taxi LEM Descent Module model has extra fuel tanks, but no extra fuel. Is this an oversight? 

How so? Do you mean I increased the total space without increasing the default fill?

18 hours ago, SynFuZe said:

If I had a good enough skill in 3D modeling, I would attempt to do it myself, but I'm nowhere near that level rn

Neither was I when I started BDB :P

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

How so? Do you mean I increased the total space without increasing the default fill?

No. There's no increase in fuel capacity between the normal version and the taxi version, even though the Taxi version has what seems to be extra fuel tanks.  Unless I'm mistaken and those aren't extra fuel tanks. 

TnGnUna.jpg

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

No. There's no increase in fuel capacity between the normal version and the taxi version, even though the Taxi version has what seems to be extra fuel tanks.  Unless I'm mistaken and those aren't extra fuel tanks.

Oh, those are gaseous oxygen (GOX). No, I don't know why they needed so much.

25 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, those are gaseous oxygen (GOX). No, I don't know why they needed so much.

Ah. Hmm. Well, this is KSP, I suggest making em extra fuel tanks... because... kerbals :P

On 5/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, SynFuZe said:

If I had a good enough skill in 3D modeling, I would attempt to do it myself, but I'm nowhere near that level rn

Do your self a favor and look at some of the models on the first page, not the OP, look at the early cameras and antenna. Cobalt can't even look at them because he would literally, physically cringe. We are all, always our own worst critics. Make the attempt, show it around, seek advice, make a second pass, repeat, get frustrated and make it again from scratch with what you have learned. All of a sudden, bam, you have a new skill.

It will be worth the attempt.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:18 PM, Blufor878 said:

I'm working on craft files for the LM variants. I already showcased my early build of the LEM orbital lab. I'm also working on the Taxi and the Shelter. I'm also doing the bigger shelters but that will come later. I wanted to post these so I could get your guys input to see if I'm missing anything.
First, the taxi
52862787323_21fe7425a9_o.png
52862515164_4c0947ec85_o.png
52862515049_d03e6241f4_o.png
And now the shelter
52862515044_446e3799df_o.png
52862787268_1fb05503bc_o.png
52862787263_df520a5329_o.png
Other than the different LEM modules, I also added batteries and thermoelectric generators to both lander variants. I'm also gonna tag in @Elro2k because this is something he requested awhile back.

So, this has already been discussed. The answer is no (and their reason is understandable). However, you can make a reasonable facsimile using the 7.5m tanks from @Nertea's Near Future Launch Vehicles. @GoldForest has done this before, and even made a cargo variant (I sadly can't point to the exact post, that was months ago). Also I've made something in the Nova/Direct Ascent Style here:
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/C7-DI-761-Pad

Failing that there's also Procedural Parts, so...

Good to see some "as intended pictures".  If things could be updated to the unofficial wiki Friznet has, that would be awesome.

On 5/1/2023 at 4:02 PM, Entr8899 said:

The rocket who shall not be named...

In that case, maybe something to be named in honor of Hans and Frans....the crawlers that could carry the greatest rickets ever built!

On 5/1/2023 at 8:41 PM, GoldForest said:

I have been summoned to post beauty.

xLf6YRv_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

fAKJuwn_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

https://imgur.io/a/XVFdmZ3

https://imgur.io/a/rEf99Ro

Since Elon passed on BFR...I guess you could call this BFR.  I mean...IT IS!

On 5/3/2023 at 3:50 AM, GoldForest said:

Thanks for the craft file! Quick question, I tried to load it into the game, but it still says it's missing parts. Is there another notable mod you can remember using for this rocket? The C-8B craft works just fine, but the regular C-8 is missing "strut connector heavy"

48 minutes ago, Elro2k said:

Thanks for the craft file! Quick question, I tried to load it into the game, but it still says it's missing parts. Is there another notable mod you can remember using for this rocket? The C-8B craft works just fine, but the regular C-8 is missing "strut connector heavy"

Do you recall which parts it said is missing? Sometimes the name of the parts provides some hints.

2 hours ago, Elro2k said:

You're welcome! And hmmm, I'll take a look and see what I missed.