Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 28--and the answer to Angelo's question is...

Mister Dilsby

We aint gonna need a bigger boat...

Seriously - that is a deeply impressive beast of a ship! I wish the molten-puddle-of-silicon, formerly known as 'your computer', the very best of luck.

"Wow. That's a lot of engines." I thought. Then i looked up. And up. And still up. Holy mother of Kraken...No, scratch that. Even Kraken will run away from that monstrosity squealing like a scared puppy. What i DO want to see though, is the reaction of Kerbulans at the sight of the Ship of Doom (Dun Dun DUNNNN!) in the orbit of their planet :D

While she looks beautiful and her abilities are the stuff of Science Fiction dreams - I just have one wish for you @Kuzzter.  I hope she's as fun for you to fly as she seems to have been to make.  I mean that with all seriousness because I'm sure she has been frustrating to make - but its clearly been a labor of love the whole way through.  You've treated Intrepid like a lady and brought her to the greatest dance ever - the universe.  I hope she knows the Waltz of the Planets and makes everyone else jealous.

She's got nice lines on her, and I hope she flies well "fully loaded."

9 hours ago, Scotius said:

"Wow. That's a lot of engines." I thought. Then i looked up. And up. And still up. Holy mother of Kraken...No, scratch that. Even Kraken will run away from that monstrosity squealing like a scared puppy. What i DO want to see though, is the reaction of Kerbulans at the sight of the Ship of Doom (Dun Dun DUNNNN!) in the orbit of their planet :D

I haven't fully plotted out what happens if/when the Kerbulans see that ship, but to their mind it would indeed look like a weapon--and a bigger one than and they've seen or could build themselves, bristling with pointy-tipped rockets and carrying a not-insignificant amount of enriched uranium. It's open to speculation exactly what they would do, but you're right they would definitely categorize it as a threat.

5 hours ago, Torgo said:

So at 10 seconds per frame, if you launch that beast right now, you'll be in Kerbin orbit sometime around the Vernal Equinox. 

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Wow........  that is really amazing, but I will say a prayer for your processor...  :wink:

Actually it's not that bad--even on the slower of my two computers the time decompression is 1/8 or better, in atmosphere. Twice as fast if I switch to map view :) I did take great care to minimize part count and secure all wobbly bits--looks like so far it's paid off!

Made a few little tweaks today, and I think with that done KSS Intrepid Version 1.0.4 is really ready to go. (Numbering coincidence noted :) ) Changes from 1.0 include:

• fixed L-dock mount for the new, shorter Quadhammer Mk3
  • addition of a set of aerospikes on the belly following Minmus landing test
  • tripled the radiators on H-pod for the 12xLV-Ns mounted there..no problem with the other 12, as they are at the ends of very long fuel tanks.
  • hard-mounted the engineering section: decided it was too much trouble to assemble in orbit. Confirmed I can still get there even with the additional 15 tons (and 4 more tons for the ventral aerospikes!)

Still working out who goes up with what piece--thinking Val, Dislby, Bill and Clauselle will go up with Intrepid herself. Sarge will take Nimzo and Lisa in the Quadhammer. Jeb drives the Skimmeroo, with Melbe in the passenger seat. That leaves Tedus, Kenlie and Bob to come up with the Gumdrop landers and the various probes. If I play this right, I should be able to get everything docked, assembled and away to Minmus without a tanker flight. I'll be sure to keep a running total of funds and framerate, for those interested :D 

42 minutes ago, Deddly said:

You're going to actually get Intrepid into orbit fully fuelled?

What? Oh, no. Did I say that somewhere? Sorry. FULLY fueled is quite a lot of fuel, as you might imagine. I think we'll be a few hundred tons short of that :) But it should have more than enough LF in the tanks to make Minmus intercept and orbit. To land, I'll need to replenish oxidant--can do that with Ore Piggy drones from the Flats mining station.

9 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

What? Oh, no. Did I say that somewhere?

Ah sorry for misunderstanding. It was the "without a tanker flight" that caught me out. For a moment there I was forgetting that she's capable of refuelling herself

Let's do this.

BuFlU06.png

PU3rwlR.png

3FaUl1D.png

GfTWnji.png

13ldz7f.png

dMtKbXL.png

The crew in the group shot are, from left to right, Sarjint Sarge, Enzin Nimzo, Looty Lisa, Jr. Looty Kenlie, Kaptin Tedus, Captin Val, Comder Dislby, Sous-Leuti Clauselle, Lt Comder Bill, Lt. Comder Bob, Lt Kernel Jeb and Jr Looty Melbe. And while the game never crashed during any flight of the Intrepid, having fourteen kerbs on the pad under it crashed just about every time. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to get those shots--I'm glad I won't need to do that again for a while!

And once again I'd like to thank @Angel-125 for that amazing bridge viewscreen. It works great, and it adds so much to the "bridge playset" experience. I'm going to nominate it for Modding Monday and I'd like to invite you all to do the same :) 

Next up, we'll see if I really can get this thing to orbit! Whoooo!

Oh that was sweet!

The Intrepid looks great in that shot.  Seems to be a fairly large ship.  :D

I love the bridge, and the unifroms, and the ship, and ... well, all of it.  Thanks!

Happy Celebratory (but still vaguely Concerned) landings!

Edited by Starhawk

Abort! Abort! Ab- oh, never mind. ;)

Glad the screen is working for you. :) Thanks for the kudos too! Iwas temped to see if I could twist a few IVA props into EVA props and create a separate EVA Props mod. I don't think anybody's done that before... If I can pull that off, I would make them KIS portable for retrofitting. But that will have to wait a bit, gotta slog through the MOLE's IVAs first..

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, CliftonM said:

I love this new forum feature that gives me the notifications as soon as they happen.

Oh, me too! Very amusing to be working on a patent and having, say, @Just Jim's evil invader face pop up on my desktop :D 

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

My goodness. How tall were those launch clamp!? They look like spaghetti!

And amazingly, six of them are enough to hold up 2615 tons of ship and boosters!

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

But shouldn't all the launch control team be focused on their job, instead of playing Bill Space Program?

<------------ This guy

He's probably just working on a comic, it's OK as long as he yells "Go!" at the correct time.

1 hour ago, KSK said:

"Captin, you have your orders - go see what's out there." should be the silent tag line to every KSP flight once your space program has reached a certain stage. Beautiful.

:D 

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

The Intrepid looks great in that shot.  Seems to be a fairly large ship.  :D

Oh yes, fairly :) I might have to get it in orbit next to Micarooni Station or Kranefly, for scale. That is, unless I can find a banana somewhere. Where does @Vanamonde keep them? 

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Glad the screen is working for you. :)

It's really, really fun, and it's going to make telling this story a lot easier. Plus, Val can yell awesome Picard stuff like "on screen!" "magnify!" And if anyone makes a replicator, she can have hot drinks delivered to her by a dashing young enzin!

So I did not in fact break out the "bubblyzine", but I am enjoying a nice beverage while I watch Kuzz Jr. build ridiculous craft on the other PC. His lastt one had four Goliath jet engines, with a command seat on each, a launch escape system and NO wings... he claims it will be a "fully armed and operational party barge" :D