What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

I just saw a cyber truck for the first time in person a few minutes ago and oh man was it irredeemably UGLY.  I thought they looked incredibly stupid in pictures but in person they are just irredeemably ugly and stupid looking. Over priced junk imho. My opinion only ofc. 

42 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

I just saw a cyber truck for the first time in person a few minutes ago and oh man was it irredeemably UGLY.  I thought they looked incredibly stupid in pictures but in person they are just irredeemably ugly and stupid looking. Over priced junk imho. My opinion only ofc. 

Agreed. Rear visibility looks like a nightmare and it probably wouldn’t do well in the cold. Teslas had a lot of problems in the Great Lakes and Northeast when the winter storms hit in January, IIRC.

Not great for farms in the Northwest and Rockies. Not sure about the southwest and Midwest.

Where I am, it regularly snows 6-9 months out of the year. Sounds like a Cybertruck is out of the question, then. Not that I ever wanted one anyway.

Renders that show them on the Moon or Mars make no sense to me. An angular shape like that has got to be horrible to store efficiently in a rocket, and awful at keeping in pressure with those sharp corners.

my machine is called "trust me, im an orbital mechanic" but it stuck me in the middle of an undeveloped part of the map.

orbital mechanic 3 looks like it was perma added.

and its still up.

Edited by Nuke

On 4/5/2024 at 7:09 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

Teslas had a lot of problems in the Great Lakes and Northeast when the winter storms hit in January, IIRC.

On 4/5/2024 at 7:16 PM, AlamoVampire said:

@SunlitZelkova the cyber truck has a terrible crash rating and where i am regularly reaches 100+ degrees

I’m just gonna say this: if you truly wish to have an informed opinion about Teslas in X climate, or anything really, listen to people who actually own them, not what some rando on social media or newscaster sensationalizing for ratings/clicks says.

Well ive had the misfortune of touching a DMC 12 in 110 degree heat and got a nasty burn. No scar but it bloody well hurt and unless im hallucinating the stainless steel skin of a DMC12 looks a lot like teslas rust prone cybertruck. And to be blunt metal + a semi-arid to subtropical climate that gets 250+ days of sunshine where 70+ of those are 100°F or HOTTER it makes 0 difference whos talking because hot is hot and steel in this climate will burn you in summer. Ever have the experience of climbing into a car that has been in air temps of 100° or hotter? I have. Ive had to get into a car who's interior was 170°. The WHOLE CAR hurt to touch and its skin was painted a LIGHT BLUE now imagine just how hot bare steel will be. Or to put a fine point on it, ask any kid that grew up in the 80’s to early 90’s their first thought when seeing this: 

1817406e-7862-495f-8ed2-64d15b180a04_750

Summer burns. The first thought is a trauma response to the burns these things gave. because i know no kid my age that does not know this burn. Cybertruck is no difference. Now before i rant more im out.

On 4/5/2024 at 7:55 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

I had to grab the fire extinguisher and put out a flaming shopping cart. :wacko:

Reveal hidden contents

CK7u7al.jpg

Wen your job’s not literally a dumpster fire, but close enough. :rolleyes:

Sadly the shopping cart, and some dude’s drawers, were a total loss. 

How does this happen? Yes i know the redneck grill idea of tipping an shopping cart over, make an bonfire inside it and use the upper side as an grill as grilled on them. But this is an plastic one and it looks like the kid was kind of hot. 

Today, I missed a solar eclipse for the third time in a row. It feels as if they've all come at the absolute worst times for me to be able to view them. And this xkcd is right, nothing beats totality.

Eclipse Coolness

On the plus side, the cloud cover meant I could look at it with my bare eyes.

16 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I’m just gonna say this: if you truly wish to have an informed opinion about Teslas in X climate, or anything really, listen to people who actually own them, not what some rando on social media or newscaster sensationalizing for ratings/clicks says.

Not sure how to get better information than articles actually interviewing Tesla owners…

No, I did not simply read the headline and take it as fact.

It is highly unlikely this was a politicized article. I didn’t clarify in the original post, but the article stated this was happening to ALL electric cars, not just Teslas.

I think the idea of any electric pickup truck- Cybertruck or any future attempts from Ford- are not going to be good ones.

Cybertruck is actually different insofar as it isn’t necessarily billed as a replacement for farm equipment. For urban citizens it should be just fine. It’s only in freak weather it would have issues.

7 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Not sure how to get better information than articles actually interviewing Tesla owners…

No, I did not simply read the headline and take it as fact.

It is highly unlikely this was a politicized article. I didn’t clarify in the original post, but the article stated this was happening to ALL electric cars, not just Teslas.

I think the idea of any electric pickup truck- Cybertruck or any future attempts from Ford- are not going to be good ones.

Cybertruck is actually different insofar as it isn’t necessarily billed as a replacement for farm equipment. For urban citizens it should be just fine. It’s only in freak weather it would have issues.

Sadly, nothing related to Tesla is ever unpoliticized for free from bias, either way.  Such articles are nearly always missing important context, like the fact that most of the people caught in that mess hadn't bothered to precondition their cars prior to going to charge, which makes a huge difference. Or mention all the people who can't start their gas cars due to... dead batteries. Note you don't hear about issues like this in places like, say, Norway, or even Minnesota, where such subzero (F) weather is fairly normal and people know how to handle it. There's more than that, of course, so if you really want to discuss it I'd suggest taking it over to the relevant Tesla thread:D

22 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Summer burns. The first thought is a trauma response to the burns these things gave. because i know no kid my age that does not know this burn. Cybertruck is no difference. Now before i rant more im out.

Now that you've ranted, how about listening? :wink:

It's hit over 100 a few times here, but I've never had to get into a burning hot car, because it's always cooled down remotely by the time I get in there.

Also, nudge nudge... 

11 hours ago, magnemoe said:

How does this happen? Yes i know the redneck grill idea of tipping an shopping cart over, make an bonfire inside it and use the upper side as an grill as grilled on them. But this is an plastic one and it looks like the kid was kind of hot. 

Er... socioeconomic factors and, shall we say, heavy use of alternative pharmaceuticals... 

10 hours ago, Kimera Industries said:

Today, I missed a solar eclipse for the third time in a row. It feels as if they've all come at the absolute worst times for me to be able to view them. And this xkcd is right, nothing beats totality.

Eclipse Coolness

On the plus side, the cloud cover meant I could look at it with my bare eyes.

I got to see the total eclipse; the cost of which was getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for TEN HOURS 

On 4/8/2024 at 11:12 AM, AlamoVampire said:

a car who's interior was 170°.

Spoiler

contented-cat-on-hot-battery-260nw-56036

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

ike, say, Norway, or even Minnesota, where such subzero (F) weather is fairly normal and people know how to handle it.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

There’s been some discussions about how “dangerously” hot Cybertruck’s stainless steel will get in the Sun.

It would evaporate and get ionized.

Here are the results from cars parked in the same angle as the sun:

Spoiler

The polished steel of Tesla at least can reflect.

... into others.

23 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Sadly, nothing related to Tesla is ever unpoliticized for free from bias, either way.  Such articles are nearly always missing important context, like the fact that most of the people caught in that mess hadn't bothered to precondition their cars prior to going to charge, which makes a huge difference. Or mention all the people who can't start their gas cars due to... dead batteries. Note you don't hear about issues like this in places like, say, Norway, or even Minnesota, where such subzero (F) weather is fairly normal and people know how to handle it. There's more than that, of course, so if you really want to discuss it I'd suggest taking it over to the relevant Tesla thread:D

I’m skeptical this is politicization as much as it is the usual ineptness of media.

Interesting tidbits about Teslas. I’ll have to look into it.

EDIT- I suggest starting with those tidbits next time instead of just saying something that implies “the media is conducting a witch hunt!” It’s much more compelling than accusatory statements without evidence.

Edited by SunlitZelkova

I was driving down the road and saw a dead white tail deer that got killed by a vehicle. The sight of dead critters is nothing new or unusual. But what made this funny was what happened as i got close. See there were a bunch of buzzards near it and as birds do when cars get near they scattered. Typically they tend to fly away from the road. One buzzard chose to fly AT the road. But it had a problem, its buddy in front of it. That one chose away from the road. These two goofy buzzards chest bumped as they ran into each other. Never seen that happen before and likely wont ever again.

How to taunt a cat owner:

Spoiler

_SFFQF9jzWo.jpg?size=1080x1080&quality=9

9xK7wipFLcw.jpg?size=1080x1080&quality=9

(not mine, because some people got confused in the past)

Edited by DDE