Kerbal Space Program 1.4.2 is live!

UomoCapra

6 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

There is a "Contract Parameter Complete" Info message that was added to the debug log to help with identifying contract issues if people still have that "lotsa funds" bug that some people found. Could this be what you saw?

https://imgur.com/a/V1zMd

Looks like it, but certainly not in debug log. These look like triggered by 10 second stability, but I've also noticed "contract finished" one for contract that is most certainly not finished. Also, it seems that only two surface base contracts trigger this. I don't have other base contracts, but some "plant flag" and "rescue" and those kept quiet. Both of those basebuilding  contracts are from 1.4.1.

2 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

Thats some good details nice, and I see the 5m part one in the tracker. Are the others in there out of interest?

No, I don't post to the bug tracker because I find it alot more intimidating that posting to the forums.  Theres rules and conventions and I have no idea how to contribute effectively.  I recently made an account on it, for 1.4.1, but reverted to posting on the forums instead.

You'll find a bunch of folks posting issues in MH Support forum.

Thanks for the update, Squad.

Is there a chance you guys could reset the standard friction values on the rover wheels to 1.3.1 values next time? Could save hundreds of hours of work with people that otherwise have to update and test their settings - for some this took many, many hours for every craft. Anyone with experience overrides automatic friction control and manually sets the right value.

32 minutes ago, Thylacinus said:

@linuxgurugamer Is apparently starting a full staff.

@Mark Kerbin Where are you starting/ending? Just so we don't duplicate work? Split em' up A-Z? Based on Popularity?

@Mark Kerbin

and anybody else who wishes to help.

I started a new thread here:

Please test mods and report the status in this thread, I'll try to keep a running summary in the OP

2 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

@TriggerAu Sorry to be this guy but the thrust on wolf and cheetah is still off. you got the node fixed but that seems to have managed to move the thrust again and its off center on the other side now. I think.

never apologize for polite constructive feedback, if you dont mind checking/adding it to the tracker that would be super helpful

2 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

never apologize for polite constructive feedback, if you dont mind checking/adding it to the tracker that would be super helpful

Will investigate further. I just didn't want to be jumping on the pile if someone already brought it up.

9 minutes ago, klesh said:

No, I don't post to the bug tracker because I find it alot more intimidating that posting to the forums.  Theres rules and conventions and I have no idea how to contribute effectively.  I recently made an account on it, for 1.4.1, but reverted to posting on the forums instead.

Please dont be intimidated, what you've posted in the forums looks good, but if it was in the tracker it would be seen by more devs. :)

13 minutes ago, radonek said:

https://imgur.com/a/V1zMd

Looks like it, but certainly not in debug log. These look like triggered by 10 second stability, but I've also noticed "contract finished" one for contract that is most certainly not finished. Also, it seems that only two surface base contracts trigger this. I don't have other base contracts, but some "plant flag" and "rescue" and those kept quiet. Both of those basebuilding  contracts are from 1.4.1.

Hmm, that one looks like it should be looked into

4 minutes ago, Trekkie148 said:

Can the back out bug from scatterer be fixed? The stars and moons won't show with some probes. Also when I go to the tracking station with SVE and Scatterer installed sometimes Laythe or Vall will be black.

Ask the Scatterer Dev. It's not Squad's thing

3 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

* Variants now support multiple drag cubes.

I think this is a nice change. Thanks. 

I'm even more concerned now though that it's hard to tell the size of engine variants and whether they match a tank they are attached to. 

1 minute ago, TriggerAu said:

Please dont be intimidated, what you've posted in the forums looks good, but if it was in the tracker it would be seen by more devs. :)

Hmm, that one looks like it should be looked into

Looks like new message is spawned whenever one or more contract conditions is triggered. So, landing on Mun triggered "Build new outpost that has antenna, docking port and can generate power", visiting space station triggers crew space conditions, just doing nothing trigges "maintain stability"…

Got a few mods, but none that should touch contracts.

1 hour ago, Sam Hall said:

Oh hey, they fixed the broken normal maps on the KV pod IVAs; nice!
...looks like the one for the black+white Rockomax tanks is still hosed though. Also the new structural panels. Also they accidentally blanked the alpha channel on the Rockomax tanks' diffuse maps when they converted them from .png to .dds. Also there's still a 2048*2048 DXT5 texture that does nothing but make the tiny featureless rectangular orange lamps in the KV2+3 pods glow.

Those big texture files can be fixed with programs such as The GIMP. I know of several mods which had a few huge .dds files of that sort of size. There is a plug-in to import and export .dds, though it seems to be a bit picky about GIMP versions. It doesn't need many large images to soak up 100MB.

34 minutes ago, klesh said:

The tracker makes it extremely easy for developers to track issues, it's an all-in-one stop for them where they can prod at things with an easy list.

It's worth getting over the initial disdain for it.

I just fresh installed KSP and I can confirm there is something really wrong with how much drag the fairings produce. I made an imgur album showing this: https://imgur.com/a/E49jC

here are the 2 craft files I used: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rgqZnOxIuiXVC9fm0PUFAkZB8jSgcoLu and https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MCIuAVxSSUg6OewV04_zFVf9HcR2O_Hl

What I did notice before I fresh installed is that my partdatabase.cfg did not update so I renamed it and had steam verify and redownload it. Later I compared it and a lot of the drag cubes had changed.

I have added this to the bug tracker

Edited by Nachbar

4 minutes ago, Lupi said:

The tracker makes it extremely easy for developers to track issues, it's an all-in-one stop for them where they can prod at things with an easy list.

It's worth getting over the initial disdain for it.

And every issue I have ever posted there seems to have been ignored, even after a high count of upvotes. I don't know what to feel about that.

2 minutes ago, Azimech said:

And every issue I have ever posted there seems to have been ignored, even after a high count of upvotes. I don't know what to feel about that.

In my experience, not very good at marking issues complete sometimes, but that doesn't mean they're unseen.

There were a lot of things I reported/left as feedback that I saw addressed here, even though they were never updated on the bugtracker past being a "new" issue.

Edited by Lupi

Its a catch22 almost.  I'm not being paid for this, so I feel like I'll post where I find it to be easiest for me.  That being said, doing so would be a waste if it doesnt get seen unless posted on the bug tracker.  I suppose if one wants a contribution to be effectual, they do need to get over the initial disdain.  Well put.

1 minute ago, Lupi said:

In my experience, not very good at marking issues complete sometimes, but that doesn't mean they're unseen.

There were a lot of things I reported/left as feedback that I saw addressed here, even though they were never updated on the bugtracker past being a "new" issue.

I understand completely there are decisions based on available resources within a dev team. However it does make one wonder if the effort of posting yet again on the BT is worth the time.

The issue with the VZOR on the Pea capsule popping out seems to have been fixed, but I don't see it mentioned in the notes?

For reference: 

Edited by klesh

2 minutes ago, klesh said:

I'm not being paid for this, so I feel like I'll post where I find it to be easiest for me.  That being said, doing so would be a waste if it doesnt get seen unless posted on the bug tracker.  I suppose if one wants a contribution to be effectual, they do need to get over the initial disdain.  Well put.

Yeah, I got a crash course in that over the past few months of havin' to help out. 

Bug, 1.4.2.

On a completely vanilla install, the seconds long editor lag after performing any action has returned. More noticeable with high part count. I now have to wait 4 seconds while trying to work on this 1100 part vehicle. I'm sure the multiple drag cubes is to blame, like the introduction of the drag cubes was in a previous version.

However, since this is not my craft and because of some dubious design decisions, I'll test with a different craft with a more sensible structure.

Edit: throwing something together with 1200 girders doesn't produce this effect. Maybe it has something to do with fairings? I'll test some more.

Edited by Azimech

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

However it does make one wonder if the effort of posting yet again on the BT is worth the time.

Horse's mouth:

45 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

adding it to the tracker that would be super helpful

40 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

if it was in the tracker it would be seen by more devs. :)

A bug tracker is a core part of any developer's work flow. It's the "start screen" where they check what's been done, what's in progress, and what's left to do.

A forum, by comparison has a lot more noise and chaff and lacks organizational tools such as categorization, assignment, status updates*, linking duplicates and related issues, etc. It just isn't as useful for feedback intake per unit time invested. The SQUAD devs seem to pop in from time to time on specific threads (generally the update announcements) to see what folks are discussing, which seems like a reasonable strategy.

*: Yes, I realize your original complaint was about a lack of status updates on some of your own bug reports. This may be down to many factors, among them other higher priority bugs crowding out yours for dev time, an unlinked duplicate out there somewhere being worked instead of your report, or just forgetting to post an update after a fix, etc. There are 1317 open items in the public bug tracker at the moment, and just having the tools available does not mean that they will be used to the maximum extent. Triage takes time, too.

sorry, feel like I derailed the thread a bit. I am only one dev in a team, but I know I don't always see stuff not in the tracker. Doesn't mean other people in the team don't look in the forums and reddit, etc and also test and carry items to the tracker too at times.

Any and all feedback and reports are good imo and some of them may not get time assigned that is true, but we do all feel for those bugs and wish we could fix them all