[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

On 9/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, toric5 said:

Just realize the restock+ NTR, the cherenkov, does not have an NFE patch. Should that be reported on NFE's end, or here?

NFE, but that set of patches will be no longer maintained in the future.

2 hours ago, Souptime said:

Is the boar engine based off the F-1B engine from the pyrios booster?

I mean the guy above me is pretty much right, but yes, it is. The Twin-Boar has the F1-B integrated into the Pyrios booster so the team decided to give it to us separately.

Edited by RyanRising

3 hours ago, Darkuss said:

After i deleted RealPlume i don't have any plumes on all of stock engines, what should i do?

If you're deleting RealPlume you should make sure to remove both RealPlume and RealPlume-Stock. Likely reason that might happen after removing is if one of those or parts of those are still in your gamedata.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any particular reason the shroud of the boattail version of the LV-909 extends beyond the edge of the 1.25m fuel tanks? It's not much, but the seam is much more pronounced than on the other 1.25m boattail variants.

Spoiler

zcBdCPX.png

QcAhMMi.png

Wdu12DH.png

This could be referencing a real engine, but I'm not cool enough to know what it is or why they did it.

Edited by RyanRising

Did I have already said that I love Restock?

New Mun/Minmus lander feat Restock+, Tweakscale & Kerbalism.
I designed this lander to make a simple touch down, rescue a kerbal stranded on the Mun and make the journey with a tourist who has to land there.

200915084257500806.png

200915084256533273.png

Tweakscale has been used for the main chute which has been scaled down a little bit and for the hemispherical tanks at the bottom, also scaled down from 1.25 to 0.625m.

13 hours ago, Souptime said:

its supposed to be used for the stock MK1-3  and it disables the restock pod and i made a config to re enable it, is it okay to post it?

Reddit-ish-y "Not a Nertea, but...": I'm pretty sure that posting custom .cfg's is OK, besides, if you are already asking I think you should do it in SDHI thread, because the .cfg alters it's stuff, not ReStock's. But I mean, .cfg doesn't include anything copyrighted or, at least, anything content creator would be mad for using...

I've been playing around with it, and it seems that every now and again it hides some stock parts? I think they are supposed to be changed but nothing appears in the VAB/SPH. I dunno what's causing this, but when it does work, it's an amazing mod! (I would message Nertea directly, but I made an account only recently so i can't do that yet...:/

5 hours ago, NiL said:

Reddit-ish-y "Not a Nertea, but...": I'm pretty sure that posting custom .cfg's is OK, besides, if you are already asking I think you should do it in SDHI thread, because the .cfg alters it's stuff, not ReStock's. But I mean, .cfg doesn't include anything copyrighted or, at least, anything content creator would be mad for using...

OK, just want permission since the model it uses is nert's and i dont wanna get in trouble

3 hours ago, thedogofcoolness said:

I've been playing around with it, and it seems that every now and again it hides some stock parts? I think they are supposed to be changed but nothing appears in the VAB/SPH. I dunno what's causing this, but when it does work, it's an amazing mod! (I would message Nertea directly, but I made an account only recently so i can't do that yet...:/

If you have an issue, its best to give as much in-depth detail as possible so that we can look into it and determine whether its an issue that needs to be resolved on our end or your end. Here's a good template to go by:

Describe the bug
A clear and concise description of what the bug is. Make sure you read the list of common issues first!

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem.

List of mods installed:
 - Restock

Logs
Attach logs if you think they are relevant. The log file is named "KSP.log" and is found in the same folder as your KSP executable

Edited by Poodmund

I'm a huge fan of ReStock but there's something wrong with the balance of some ReStock+ engines.

The 510 kN Caravel costs half of a 650 kN Skipper and I don't understand why it has the same vacuum ISP despite a much better nozzle expansion ratio and weighs 33% less despite being bigger. It even has a lower sea-level ISP. Illustrated below.

The 110 kN Schnauzer is incredibly overpriced. It costs more than the Poodle while being worse.
Terrier: 60 kN and costs 390
Schnauzer: 110 kN and costs 3000
Poodle: 250 kN and costs 1300
Illustrated below.

The 100 kN Valiant has the ISP of an SRB: 240/270. It's not a tube; it has a nozzle bell. Is it even realistically low? Not a huge problem, but compare it to the Swivel which has has 250/320 ISP.

Spoiler

nduLWYa.pngP8XRaz0.png

@Krzeszny, If you want to modify the parts, I have made an excel sheet that will allow you to generate some MM code for patches to modify the behavior/costs of the engines closer to what you feel is well balanced.  It could also work as a basis to later share with Nertea and team for them to consider whether they want to rebalance.

Dropbox

On 9/23/2020 at 3:46 AM, hemeac said:

@Krzeszny, If you want to modify the parts, I have made an excel sheet that will allow you to generate some MM code for patches to modify the behavior/costs of the engines closer to what you feel is well balanced.  It could also work as a basis to later share with Nertea and team for them to consider whether they want to rebalance.

Dropbox

Thanks for the calculator. I'm not an expect or a scientist to say how to balance something very well (I've only spent around 100 hours on actually building rockets) or what the ISP should be based on the nozzle and the plumbing, but I'll try my best. I won't post code here, as the values are just suggestions... and I've never used ModuleManager.

• The Schnauzer should cost around 700 because it has twice the thrust and 5 more ISP than the 390-credits Terrier but still over 2 times less than the 1300-credits Poodle. Maybe 800 because of its impressively-sized snout - er, bell.
  • The Caravel after a research and some consideration has a realistic sea-level ISP because it's an open-cycle/gas generator engine (it has an exhaust pipe) unlike the Skipper. The expansion ratio would counteract the inefficient cycle, hence the vacuum ISP could be the same (or differ by 5 so it doesn't look like a copy) for both engines. However, it costs half as much as the Skipper and I suggest lowering the thrust from 510 to around 400 kN. There's a gap between 260 (Ursa) and 650 (Skipper) and 510 doesn't quite fill that gap... that is, if it should.
  • The Valiant after some more consideration could have 250-310 or 250-300 ISP. The same vacuum ISP or lower than the Reliant, the same sea-level ISP as the Swivel. I've just noticed that the Swivel has a compact double-bell nozzle (like the RS-25 but in reverse). If that's intentional, it's very clever! (If it's not intentional, the second bell shape could be made more pronounced to make it clearer as to what the extension does.) This means that the Valiant has to have a lower vacuum ISP.

By the way, if a modeler is reading this, I'd love to see more double-bell nozzles, expansion-deflection nozzles (the shape would look weird for non-geeks so the engine would have to be properly labeled) and extending nozzles - I've never seen any of them in KSP except for the Swivel's double-bell-like nozzle.

Question- Restock+ adds some stuff that overlaps with Making History, but some of those things seem to be better than the stock versions (alternative paint schemes for the crew capsules, the Saturn V engine mount can be adjusted to hold more engines, etc.) so are there any plans to apply these options to the stock parts they’re based on, or does anyone have a patch or config to add them?