Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

5 hours ago, DDE said:

Kirill Budanov did a very strangely-timed interview about attempted assassinations.

Isn't this the guy who said the AFU would be on the shores of Crimea in *checks notes* August 2023 and then *checks notes again* in March 2024?

Spoiler

I mean, given what I read about Maidan and the security services published by a UofOttawa professor not too long ago, I wouldn't be surprised, but at the same time, I would be surprised. If they were gonna do it, it seems like they'd really want to do it, not just orchestrate an attempt.

On another note, I know this is the thread to discuss things negatively, but I'm actually not that worried. Both sides seem to be condemning it really hard. Maybe someone on the fringe might try to retaliate, but I doubt this will become a normalized weapon in American politics. The thing about assassinations is that if you start assassinating one side's people, that gives them the moral all clear to assassinate your people. And no one wants their people assassinated.

Having recently read a Time article indicating the US is less divided that it is portrayed as helps my mindset too.

All IMO of course.

I hope the thread doesn't get locked, the discussion has been pretty civil.

just another bickle. thats pretty much the way i see it. the kid that did this (and he was 20) probably is the same kind of kid who would shoot up a school, only circumstance would change the target. our society has seriously failed its young men in the last 2 decades. starting out should be a steady climb, not a massive cliff. you can do what you are supposed to do, work hard, and still get nowhere. so its no wonder many take an alternate way out.

There's no more convenient time to apply a fix for a critical bug than NOW.

I lost another sleeping night due the same error that had bit me last time, that are fixed for almost an year in all the machines but one - that belongs to a client that it's problematic since the first day and, so, someone decided that a scheduled stop to update the damned machine would make us look bad.

Well, I believe that we are already looking pretty bad now - for something that it's not happening anywhere else on our stack for 11 months - and that are triggered by some pretty low standard service from a 3rd party we are tied to.

Bugs are not a problem. Unfixed bugs are a problem. Undeployed fixed bugs are a huge problem - it's very, very tricky to write a report about something that are happening regularly just because someone doesn't approved scheduling a one hour pause on the service (as it's the minimal billable time window, the update itself takes 45 seconds. On a bad day).

I lost my sleep, I'm losing my temper, I'm running out of patience.

I'll try to play something relaxing - going back to bed is out of question by now.

Edited by Lisias
Dude, I'm really mad right now.

7 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Isn't this the guy who said the AFU would be on the shores of Crimea in *checks notes* August 2023 and then *checks notes again* in March 2024?

There are many, many other guys that do this.

However, Budanov was actually a participant of a 2016 incident that... well, it featured him and two dozen other Ukranians driving into Crimea and ending up in a gunfight with the Russians, who accused them of having been a commando group.

Spoiler

And technically there have been platoon-sized intrusions on the shores of Crimea, they just never amounted to anything. One of them famously bugged out to avoid having to fight a tourist with a Saiga

IA2eUjeGG9Q.jpg?size=514x525&quality=95&

(which is not something I'd hold against them, but it does make for a funny factoid)

Budanov in general is held to be a key figure in popularizing TikTok warfare - quick raids to generate footage for a symbolic victory that doesn't involve holding any ground. His exploits on the northern front are similar - it's his agency that supervises the various 'Russian' units which did the raid across the border near Graivoron and such.

i believe both our parties have ran out of morale high ground. people will vote for one or the other for all the wrong reasons. with any luck we get a reset in four years. oh i wish i had a cryotube, then i could just sleep it off like a bad hangover.

Edited by Nuke

On 7/16/2024 at 4:26 AM, BA-Forums said:

USA is likely cooked for a few years

More than they already are now?

I mean.... Starline stranded on ISS, SpaceX blowing up payloads, Chinese surveillance bases on Cuba, some interesting events on the Gate of Tears, and some other yet more interesting ones in Eastern Europe... Am I missing something?

Edited by Lisias
Hit "Save" too soon

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

I mean.... Starline stranded on ISS, SpaceX blowing up payloads, Chinese surveillance bases on Cuba, some interesting events on the Gate of Tears, and some other still more interesting ones in Eastern Europe... Am I missing something?

I meant politically but I guess those count too

The USA seriously needs to de-escalate its culture wars and politics. As old Abe said: “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” This was important when he was president and it’s even more important now. Any two extremes are bad. Extreme politics always lead to turmoil and conflict until one wins. At that point, it’s no longer the old system, but totalitarianism. I’m sick of all this fighting in my country and I feel like a second civil war is going to start. I remember @AlamoVampire said in an earlier post on this thread: 

“2024 sucks.”

I can never disagree with this statement now.

I quake and tremble thinking that it's intentional.

Those people on the news media that plaster sensational events until our minds are numb..

All those mass shootings where individuals are immortalized through sensationalized news media being the bread & butter...  

Every day, 'they' invent new ways  to further divide & destroy or dilute a sense of community...

the powers that seek to control, think it's easier if we hate each other and live in fear. I hardly leave the house aside from work bc my own brand of progressive views seems to make both side look at me strange.

I wonder where I will go when the lines are drawn... hopefully here. ;(  Forums.. we need your positivity more than ever.

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

i kind of wish there was a way to get third party traction. ironically the only thing the two parties agree on is that third parties are bad and so that is the only rhetoric you hear. if getting a kennedy on the ballot cant do it i dont know what can. the others are just too entrenched.

Edited by Nuke

8 minutes ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

I think the US has been cooked politically since we moved from the gold standard

Amen.

I have seen a couple people break down the decline of the American middle class with that very event. As a tradesman they have done a great job of keeping me poor and communicating just how little that my skillset is valued.

3 hours ago, BA-Forums said:

The USA seriously needs to de-escalate its culture wars and politics.

Prisoner's Dilemma. Can't let the other side have the upper hand in climbing towards oblivion.

Honestly, I'm just surprised there's not been general burnout in the US political sphere. The whole furore relies on constant hyper-excitement (and hyper-dread), you'd think people would just tire and quit or go mad.

20 minutes ago, DDE said:

Prisoner's Dilemma. Can't let the other side have the upper hand in climbing towards oblivion.

Honestly, I'm just surprised there's not been general burnout in the US political sphere. The whole furore relies on constant hyper-excitement (and hyper-dread), you'd think people would just tire and quit or go mad.

I have gone tired of it and I don’t even participate

On 7/16/2024 at 12:50 PM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

Those people on the news media that plaster sensational events until our minds are numb..

All those mass shootings where individuals are immortalized through sensationalized news media being the bread & butter...  

Every day, 'they' invent new ways  to further divide & destroy or dilute a sense of community...

the powers that seek to control, think it's easier if we hate each other and live in fear. I hardly leave the house aside from work bc my own brand of progressive views seems to make both side look at me strange.

I wonder where I will go when the lines are drawn... hopefully here. ;(  Forums.. we need your positivity more than ever.

hmm, I remember when a guy complained about a joke that evil Wheatley makes in Portal 2 to a news outlet, and they tried to sensationalize it. Here it is.

The funny thing is Gaben reads all his emails, and intentionally ignored the ones they sent. I noticed the kid who was supposedly “affected” by the joke seemed like they were enjoying the game, and didn’t even get interviewed on it.

On 7/16/2024 at 11:50 AM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

Someone should make a news outlet with stories representative of the real world, stories like "Study Shows Literally Nobody Is Out to Get You", "SHOCKING FACT: Most People Found to Be Decent", etc

58 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

Someone should make a news outlet with stories representative of the real world, stories like "Study Shows Literally Nobody Is Out to Get You", "SHOCKING FACT: Most People Found to Be Decent", etc

That's a friggin wonderful idea..

12 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

hmm, I remember when a guy complained about a joke that evil Wheatley makes in Portal 2 to a news outlet, and they tried to sensationalize it. Here it is.

The funny thing is Gaben reads all his emails, and intentionally ignored the ones they sent. I noticed the kid who was supposedly “affected” by the joke seemed like they were enjoying the game, and didn’t even get interviewed on it.

As someone who was adopted I can confirm, the joke is both funny and non-offensive.

Looks like I’m the first to break the news on this forum. So there’s been a massive outage of Microsoft computers. Those in the tech industry are calling it “blue screen of death.”

It’s taken out emergency services, airports, railroads, businesses, banks, and the giant ball in Los Angeles. UPDATE: That was fake.

Apparently this has brought trauma wards to a stand still as their imaging equipment is down. People are going to die because of this if it isn’t fixed soon.

I am supposed to fly to Spokane to see my grandparents in a few hours. I’m hoping it isn’t delayed. I called just now (it’s 3:17 AM here) because I anticipated that their lines might go down in the morning when people start flooding the line for information, but they said the flight was still due to depart on time. PDX is open 24 hours, so if it was cancelled there would be an update. ATC is still operating because apparently LAX is filling up with grounded American, Delta, and United planes and it’s looking like they’re running out of parking space (or at least it’s really tight).

I guess Alaska via HorizonAir are Linux or Mac users. Way to go!

Edited by SunlitZelkova

4 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

So there’s been a massive outage of Microsoft computers.

Induced by a CrowdStrike anti-virus update.

* looks over to see Evgeny Kaspersky twiddling thumbs innocently*

42 minutes ago, DDE said:

Induced by a CrowdStrike anti-virus update.

* looks over to see Evgeny Kaspersky twiddling thumbs innocently*

It was the first thing I thought when I read the news about the AV update....

On 7/16/2024 at 8:44 AM, Lisias said:

I mean.... Starline stranded on ISS, SpaceX blowing up payloads, Chinese surveillance bases on Cuba, some interesting events on the Gate of Tears, and some other yet more interesting ones in Eastern Europe... Am I missing something?

Nothing is so bad that could not get worse, no?

Edited by Lisias
Tyops, as usulla...

Just had read this.

The microcalypse was caused by the conflict between the CrowdStrike and the M$ Azure update.

As the M$ updates are sanctionally blocked for Russia, even the licensed M$ instances were not affected...

The same story as the youtube ads. No youtube ads in Russia.