Is Squad working on a new game?

MechBFP

Do you think Squad is secretly working on a new game?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Squad is secretly working on a new game?

• Yes
    • No

After the release of Breaking Ground, in my opinion it appears that Squad is most definitely not spending/prioritizing 100% of their resources time on DLC for KSP.  

Also the fact that the bundle for the game in the Steam page says “Complete” may imply (depending on your interpretation) that the game will no longer get new DLC in the same vein as the last two.

However in the Breaking Ground deep dive one of the developers mentioned that they were adding some of this functionality (inventory, time based experiments) for future development purposes.

I wonder if this was alluding to development on a new game or perhaps a much larger DLC or standalone expansion coming down the pipe?

Feel free to wildly speculate to your hearts content. ;)

Edited by MechBFP

Given that the game started in Early Access, “complete” might also indicate that it no longer is in early access mode, but  rather “complete.”

In that case it doesn’t say anything about future DLC.

Indicating that you’re no longer actively developing content will surely not boost sales. Why would anyone do that?

Regardless of what Squad’s actual future plans are, I doubt “complete” is intended to indicate “we’re not developing the game any further”

Is Steam is selling a game/dlc bundle, then "Complete" in this context would just mean "This bundle includes everything available", and you can't read further into it.

Of course Squad's total focus isn't DLC.  They're also updating the base game... despite what some whiners who claim the game hasn't changed since 1.0 would like you to believe.  I started playing in 1.3, and have seen quite a few options added to the base game.

Speculating wildly based on a single word on a distributor's page will get us nowhere.

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

in my opinion it appears that Squad is most definitely not spending/prioritizing 100% of their resources time on DLC for KSP.  

Which would be 100% true, as the core (or at least it was at one point) of their business is Multimedia and Marketing. 

Just take a look at their website:  http://squad.com.mx/ It has links to both their commercial programs and KSP, although the KSP side is in dire need of updating...

Although it may be financially wise for Squad to consider getting the ball rolling on a new project, either contracted or in house, I some what doubt this is the case.  The future of KSP1 is finite.  There's no guarantee Take Two will give them the contract for KSP2.  I believe KSP2 may, in fact, already be in the planning stages.  If not further along.  Whether Squad will be involved is anyone's guess.  Squad needs to think about it's future.  That will include a new game at some point.  ...but Squad is still a young company.  Whether they're actually thinking in these terms I somewhat doubt.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:40 PM, MechBFP said:

However in the Breaking Ground deep dive one of the developers mentioned that they were adding some of this functionality (inventory, time based experiments) for future development purposes.

I wonder if this was alluding to development on a new game or perhaps a much larger DLC or standalone expansion coming down the pipe?

Or maybe they're going to incorporate the ability to attach radial parts to ships in situ.

I know it's fun to read every last drop of possibility from text, but it really doesn't help all that much. What they said could be taken multiple ways. Until they confirm it, all we can do is guess.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:24 AM, Gargamel said:

Which would be 100% true, as the core (or at least it was at one point) of their business is Multimedia and Marketing. 

Just take a look at their website:  http://squad.com.mx/ It has links to both their commercial programs and KSP, although the KSP side is in dire need of updating...

Squad isn't a Multimedia Marketing business anymore. We have focused on full-time game development since the release of KSP. 

On 6/10/2019 at 10:31 AM, UomoCapra said:

Squad isn't a Multimedia Marketing business anymore. We have focused on full-time game development since the release of KSP. 

Hopefully that means we'll get other (non-KSP) things in the future.  If Squad can make other games as addicting as KSP, we'll be in trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I am pretty surprised by the results. If you guys don’t think Squad is working on a new game, what exactly do you think the artists are working on, for example? And do you think they can stay solvent on $15 DLC for years?

Edited by MechBFP

44 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

I have to say, I am pretty surprised by the results. If you guys don’t think Squad is working on a new game, what exactly do you think the artists are working on, for example? And do you think they can stay solvent on $15 DLC for years?

I reckon they're still working on free updates for the current game. They've been systematically revamping part models and textures - something that gives the artists a lot to do - and they'll probably see it through to completion.

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I reckon they're still working on free updates for the current game. They've been systematically revamping part models and textures - something that gives the artists a lot to do - and they'll probably see it through to completion.

I mean that’s great, if they have a magical money tree to survive off of. Do they? ;)

What a silly discussion.

First, I dont think it is up to us to discuss, much less give expert input, on how the developer has to behave to stay profitable. What are we, an interventionist, 1980s 3rd-world government? They do what they feel they must and that is that.

Secondly, there is no nonsense in mantaining a product for years unending. With proper periodic improvements, paid or not, a game can be interesting for years and years. Crusader Kings 2 still sells and it has been around for what, 12 years, 15 maybe?

Thirdly, pushing for a KSP 2 is not in our interest, let alone their interest. Half the progress would be lost, since engine and UI alone is probably half the effort to develop a game. We would end with KSP1 ending as it is (when it could go so much farther), whereas KSP2 would start wonky, incomplete and would take years to get into shape.

So.... quite the pointless discussion imho.

Edited by Daniel Prates

41 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Edit: Actually the second. I see one mention earlier in the thread. :)

Yup. My point is valid in regard to the "ksp2 or not ksp2, that is the question" brought up somewhere above. But going beyond that, I mainly think it is not up us to say what they should or not do. 

3 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

pushing for a KSP 2 is not in our interest, let alone their interest. Half the progress would be lost, since engine and UI alone is probably half the effort to develop a game. We would end with KSP1 ending as it is (when it could go so much farther), whereas KSP2 would start wonky, incomplete and would take years to get into shape.

Interesting, but the entirety of the game industry sort of contradicts your reasoning.  Sequels are so common it's almost laughable sometimes.

6 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Interesting, but the entirety of the game industry sort of contradicts your reasoning.  Sequels are so common it's almost laughable sometimes.

Yeah thats my point. Frequently a sequel will leave abandoned a half-finished game which had potential, and replace it for a game that does not really lives up to its predecessor. Companies do that to buff sales: "here my minions, feed on these new giblets!". But in super complex games like KSP that will obviously result in loss of quality. The KSP gaming community would make me very proud if we sent a clear message when the fateful time comes: we are not consumer wh%%@s, we want constant improvement to the base game instead of new shiny but useless eye-candy from time to time, in form of alluring new versions. KSP2 would only be good for that: it would look better, benefiting from new techs, but "retrograde" on all other regards.

KSP is worderful as it is, it only needs periodic overhauling to keep beeing interesting. If we go into a biannual DLC routine, that is fine! Being a long time player of Paradox games, which operates like that, I already am used to that cause it works well. 

So to me, squad and T2 deserve A LOT OF PRAISE for how they have been conducting themselfs, business-wise. Many kudos to them.

I'm sorry if my ramblings became besides the point. This thread had no clear point however... :sticktongue:

Edited by Daniel Prates

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.