KSP2 Hype Train Thread

8 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Someone finally understands! Thank you!

Given recent discussions about "but but it says Beta you have no right to critizice" both here and specially on IG Discord,  I'm now really worried about people going the apologistic way trying to defend any aspects of the game that do not meet the expectations or are not up to what was promised on launch just by pulling up the "Early Access" card.

That worked back in the day with EA pioneer titles like DayZ, where they actually were rewriting the whole game from scratch while still developing the old legacy branch just to keep the playerbase somewhat happy. And it worked.

This is not the case with Kerbal Space Program 2. According to Intercept themselves, EA release is supposed to be KSP1+ Sandbox in all it's glory, not some Alpha/Beta build with flagrant issues, and Early Access exists for the sole purpose of balance feedback from community and to allow the game to make money while the remaining content on the roadmap is released.

I'm hoping, for the sake of the game's future, that people will turn unbiased and objective when it comes to point out the bad aspects of the game, if there are any, on launch.

Early Access is a great tool when used right, and it seems like Intercept knows that, but we mustn't forget that we are solely the customer of their product (a product with a full-release price tag, for a matter of fact).

Edited by MARL_Mk1

19 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

I'm hoping, for the sake of the game's future, that people will turn unbiased and objective when it comes to point out the bad aspects of the game, if there are any, on launch.

I agree. And also have words of praise for what is good. If the gameplay and the new features are such a big secret, I can only imagine the game will be very good and will blow our minds.

16 days. A mere 16 days from launch. That's just over two weeks! I suspect the forum is going to go through some big changes here soon. 

I mean, we're missing some major forum segments:
KSP 2 bug reports
KSP 2 Add-ons
-KSP 2 Add-on Discussions
-KSP 2 Add-on Development
KSP 2 Challenges & Missions
KSP 2 Spacecraft Exchange
KSP 2 Fan works
-KSP 2Mission Reports, 

Do any of the mods know when these will get added? 

(Please do not ping any mods for this question. I do not wish to bug them unnecessarily)

56 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

that people will turn unbiased and objective when it comes to point out the bad aspects of the game, if there are any, on launch.

I think it's fair to emphasize a keyword here. 

The game isn't finished neither today or 3 months ago so I'm not going to point out every single detail that does not fit my "I want the game like that" mindset, like some do. But if there are major hiccups on day 1, I reserve my right to have objections.

27 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

16 days. A mere 16 days from launch. That's just over two weeks! I suspect the forum is going to go through some big changes here soon. 

KSP 2 bug reports
KSP 2 Add-ons
KSP 2 Fan works
-KSP 2Mission Reports, 

Are they needed now, or anywhen between now and 23rd? They should drop no sooner than on T-0 to avoid cluttering the forum before there's something to talk about.

And oh I feel sorry for the mods once they have to spend hours there, moving KSP1 posts from KSP2 forum and vice versa.

8 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

But if there are major hiccups on day 1, I reserve my right to have objections.

Very curious about what major hiccups will look like for you. I don't seem to remember reading your opinion about what the game should be like. Can't wait to find out.

19 hours ago, poopslayer78 said:

New screenshot from Discord

kerbonoooooo.png

15 hours ago, TLTay said:

This is some quality work, no sarcasm. That looks fantastic. Some more bright light from the blast might be the only suggestion I can think of.

Exactly this (except the bit about it being quality work - it's really not). The explosion is being treated as completely seperate from the surrounding space? The light from the explosion isn't being cast on the KSC at all. There's no evidence of impact from the shock wave on anything.

It looks a graphic superimposed onto the scene.

Edited by WelshSteW

12 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Are they needed now, or anywhen between now and 23rd? They should drop no sooner than on T-0 to avoid cluttering the forum before there's something to talk about.

And oh I feel sorry for the mods once they have to spend hours there, moving KSP1 posts from KSP2 forum and vice versa.

I was just wondering when they would be added. I think a day or two before EA is okay for some of the sections. I wasn't talking about adding them right now. 

And good God, I think we're going to need more mods.

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

So, I had a funny thought and figured I'd share it. 

I don't know why, but I imagined Intercept running through a go-no go poll before launch. 

I have absolute no insight in what’s going on at Intercept but I think the go/no go poll was held three months ago when the release date was announced. Undoubtedly with a list of things that need to be fixed before release, and some slack into the process to polish and shore things up that are revealed by internal testing.

I’m not sure what we’ll see. The sneak peeks give us a genral idea of the styling and some of the features, and it all looks great. I am expecting a relative bug free product. Not everything can be tested but I remember a 1.x update where my Kerbals would spontaneously explode when setting foot on the ground. And we remember the toppling flags of 1.12. Those are the kind of things that would really disappoint me.

As for the state of the graphics, I’m not going to pixel peep, but based on what I’ve seen there will be hrongs of people utterly disappointed as they are going to expect nothing less than 4k photo realism at 120 fps and I doubt that will happen.

48 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I’m pretty sure the ability to modify the forum structure and keep that hidden with the flick of a switch existed before the turn of this century. The forum is very mature and one can imagine much better managed than the Discord server.

Just now, Kerbart said:

I have absolute no insight in what’s going on at Intercept but I think the go/no go poll was held three months ago when the release date was announced. Undoubtedly with a list of things that need to be fixed before release, and some slack into the process to polish and shore things up that are revealed by internal testing.

I’m not sure what we’ll see. The sneak peeks give us a genral idea of the styling and some of the features, and it all looks great. I am expecting a relative bug free product. Not everything can be tested but I remember a 1.x update where my Kerbals would spontaneously explode when setting foot on the ground. And we remember the toppling flags of 1.12. Those are the kind of things that would really disappoint me.

As for the state of the graphics, I’m not going to pixel peep, but based on what I’ve seen there will be hrongs of people utterly disappointed as they are going to expect nothing less than 4k photo realism at 120 fps and I doubt that will happen.

I didn't mean a real go-no go poll, just a comedic fake one for publicity purposes. 

As for bugs, I fully expect bugs to be present, though I'm not going to complain about them because it's Early Access. Bugs are inevitable. 

Graphics wise, I'm not that worried either. KSP 1 went through several graphics updates. I expect KSP 2 might go through 1 or 2 graphics changes, as art directions can change, but seeing as KSP 2 is being built by professionals who have a vision set in mind, I'm not that worried about it changing. If it changes, it changes. If they go for realistic textures, okay, fine. I'll just mod the game to make it cartoony again, or whatever.

The only time I'll really start harping on Intercept, is when we're close to EA and long time bugs haven't been fixed. 

1 hour ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

, EA release is supposed to be KSP1+ Sandbox in all it's glory, not some Alpha/Beta build with flagrant issues, and Early Access exists for the sole purpose of balance feedback from community and to allow the game to make money while the remaining content on the roadmap is released

I don't think you have the correct interpretation. 

EA is not going to be (and never was touted to be) a totally bug free Sandbox placeholder to keep the revening masses happy while they work on other stuff.  

If you are not expecting to find bugs and problems from the moment you fire up the game - you are setting yourself up for disappointment

EA = bugs and unfinished stuff galore 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

29 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

except the bit about it being quality work - it's really not

It really is. Unless you prefer to see a billion tiny explosions for each part like in KSP 1 rather than the giant cloud you should see when an entire rocket comes down. To each their own I suppose.

45 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Would it hurt to prepare everything before KSP 2 drops? The discord was a mess because the moderators did not set everything up before letting a massive influx of users and trolls flood the server. Again, it couldn't hurt to do things just a bit earlier and prepare, could it?

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Would it hurt to prepare everything before KSP 2 drops? The discord was a mess because the moderators did not set everything up before letting a massive influx of users and trolls flood the server. Again, it couldn't hurt to do things just a bit earlier and prepare, could it?

My thoughts exactly. Get everything setup before EA, that way it's ready and waiting. They could lock the KSP 2 forums to admin/mods only until EA day. 

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I don't think you have the correct interpretation. 

EA is not going to be (and never was touted to be) a totally bug free Sandbox placeholder to keep the revening masses happy while they work on other stuff.  

If you are not expecting to find bugs and problems from the moment you fire up the game - you are setting yourself up for disappointment

EA = bugs and unfinished stuff galore 

Let me rephrase. I'm totally expecting bugs and unbalanced parts/features.

I'm talking about specific and basic features being broken or presenting the same decade old bugs present in KSP1, hence the root of this comment chain root with me pointing out they had one of those in a tease clip.

They better get those fixed for the release candidate.

Just now, GoldForest said:

They could lock the KSP 2 forums to admin/mods only until EA day.

Er...

What purpose would doing this serve?

I'm not saying don't lock the forums at all, obviously it helps trying to clean a rug during a time people aren't constantly walking on it. But, does it need to be locked for that long?

Just now, MARL_Mk1 said:

I'm talking about specific and basic features being broken or presenting the same decade old bugs present in KSP1, hence the root of this comment chain root with me pointing out they had one of those in a tease clip.

What bug would that be?

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

Er...

What purpose would doing this serve?

I'm not saying don't lock the forums at all, obviously it helps trying to clean a rug during a time people aren't constantly walking on it. But, does it need to be locked for that long?

To keep people from posting unnecessarily in them. Not really any add-on stuff for KSP 2 until it launches and people can get their hands on the code base. Mission reports, can't really be done. Craft sharing, etc, all but challenges are relavant right now. 

27 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Very curious about what major hiccups will look like for you. I don't seem to remember reading your opinion about what the game should be like. Can't wait to find out.

Please note that graphics aren't everything.

But I'd like to see the game look close to their best work, with my finger pointing at feature videos simply because they were made with quality in mind, unlike the snippets from last couple of weeks. If there are things that are being worked on (the rings, as recent example) and it's stated by the team, I won't mind.

Regarding gameplay, I know what to expect, but at the same time I'm ready to be surprised by features hidden from public if there are any. And I hope the pixely UI is gone to be never seen again.

Regarding performance, I think there shouldn't be any obvious bugs. But if a Kerbal goes poof after getting off a ladder or the game stutters upon launching a Moho station, um... However, I also won't mind if there are any obscure bugs. I mean the QA team is limited in size, some errors are bound to specific hardware that they may have not access to etc. That's what the feedback is for.

11 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

See below:

39 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I’m pretty sure the ability to modify the forum structure and keep that hidden with the flick of a switch existed before the turn of this century. The forum is very mature and one can imagine much better managed than the Discord server.

Everything can exist even now, we just don't know it because it's hidden. What else is there to prepare?

Leaving the negative aspects aside, the most anticipated thing for me to see in a sneak peek (or maybe at launch for better awe) are reentry FX.

I hate how underwhelming (but eh, good enough) they were on KSP1. I bet it's going to look soooo glorious. 

In other words, I want it to look good enough that I don't feel the need to timewarp through all of it again like back in the (now) old days :)

That plus those great looking parachute animations, it's going to get very...

the-office-michael-scott.gif

Edited by MARL_Mk1

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

KSP 2 bug reports
KSP 2 Add-ons
KSP 2 Fan works
-KSP 2Mission Reports, 

(Please do not ping any mods for this question. I do not wish to bug them unnecessarily)

You forgot a forum for Mods...unless you are including community-based development in the Add-On forums?

As for myself, I'm hyped to go through the wish list compilation and strike out what I find in the game. And I'm hyped to discover what smart new solutions they came up with for issues I myself tried to solve in a barbaric fashion.

And I have to say.. very curious about the presentation of the menus and about the music.

I just wish we at least had some visuals for bad weather.. like rain, dark clouds.. anything to make planets more interesting and exciting.

8 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

Ground textures pixelating in a goofy grid as if they were made in MS Paint

Common problem texturing huge items like walls and doing close up shots, planets are a bit worse. Best way to solve this is to have an noise layer to break it up, yes both are tiled but the tiles don't align, noise layer are smaller. 
Footprints in snow, water ripples around you in water, burn marks and bullet marks are temporary  layers.