KSP2 Hype Train Thread

6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'm just saying it's fallacious to say KSP 2 isn't going to be much more than what modded KSP 1 can do

Without wanting to open that can of worms, but it's similar to the DLC discussion. Knowing that the game runs this out of the box without spending 15 minutes on loading mods, one mod showing weird behavior because another mod clashes with it is worth something too. Not to mention the traditional complaining of Version 1.x has been out for three weeks, why is mod XYZ not updated yet? (or mods being abandoned all together, although The modfather will likely adopt them if they were popular enough).

Aside from what you mentioned — tons of features mods can't all provide — the ability to have all that without mods is something to look forward to.

9 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I don't think it's actually in-game. I think it must have been added in post, to cover up something that's no longer in the game but was at the time this shot was recorded. I just can't figure out what it would be covering up.

I like that theory, but I agree that it's hard to see what was covered up.

My other theory is that they just have different rendering code for the UI elements, and that these shots where part of testing it but it wouldn't explain why the rest of the shot would be exactly the same—unless they just quickload a bunch of test scenarios to see how the UI works out in different circumstances.

4 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Without wanting to open that can of worms, but it's similar to the DLC discussion. Knowing that the game runs this out of the box without spending 15 minutes on loading mods, one mod showing weird behavior because another mod clashes with it is worth something too. Not to mention the traditional complaining of Version 1.x has been out for three weeks, why is mod XYZ not updated yet? (or mods being abandoned all together, although The modfather will likely adopt them if they were popular enough).

Aside from what you mentioned — tons of features mods can't all provide — the ability to have all that without mods is something to look forward to.

I just wanted to establish that there's a difference between saying that you want to play KSP 1 modded instead of KSP 2, and saying that KSP 1 modded does what KSP 2 does - it certainly doesn't :)

Just now, Kerbart said:
13 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I don't think it's actually in-game. I think it must have been added in post, to cover up something that's no longer in the game but was at the time this shot was recorded. I just can't figure out what it would be covering up.

I like that theory, but I agree that it's hard to see what was covered up.

My other theory is that they just have different rendering code for the UI elements, and that these shots where part of testing it but it wouldn't explain why the rest of the shot would be exactly the same—unless they just quickload a bunch of test scenarios to see how the UI works out in different circumstances.

I'm just going to go with what Occam's Razor says, and say that it's just a bit of flair, like the Kerbals at the start which obviously aren't in-game footage.

27 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Anyone got any guesses on what's up with the SAS indicator? Looks like it was filled in with that navy color and text added after-the-fact, right? Especially compared to the 1px-thick RCS indicator. I wonder if the original screenshot had the SAS indicator, like, a solid gray disc, but during development it was changed to match the RCS indicator? I'm kinda stumped.

8teSulH.png

I think there's been some confusion. This is not an official version of the screenshot. The version that The Aziz posted was an edit they made to show what the UI could look like with a more uniform style, with reduced pixelation and using the same font for everything.

1 minute ago, i dont know how to forum said:

I think there's been some confusion. This is not an official version of the screenshot. The version that The Aziz posted was an edit they made to show what the UI could look like with a more uniform style, with reduced pixelation and using the same font for everything.

Wait lmao really? Then it would appear that I am the one who doesn't know how to forum

Edited by whatsEJstandfor

1 minute ago, i dont know how to forum said:

Yep

People ought to be careful now because now is when people choose to start making edits of the UI.

Before making judgements about the UI, it's worth making sure you source your screenshots from their original posts.

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

No tethers, some people are going to panic.

Like if jetpack was harder than maneuvering a ship with RCS.

I cant tell yet but the rotation to keep them aligned with the camera looks a lot tighter, and as cute as the movements are I think it also gives much better feedback in terms of how your inputs are moving them around. Hopefully that navigation process is just less janky and therefore less terrifying.

image.png
I hope that devs will make another animation, but for ladders without handrails, because there are ladders without handrails on some parts and this animation looks natural only with handrails. Here kerbal strangely clings to the side of the ladder, probably uncomfortable

I feel like changing the navball’s location was nothing more than to change something for the sake of changing something. Why move it out of your direct line of sight? It’s  the most important thing on the screen beside the ship itself. Whatever, it will probably be fixed by a mod in the first week

Edited by mcpattyp

You like when the navball is covering up the part of the screen you'd normally use to see where your ship is landing? In KSP1 I moved it to the side and never backed since. 

Moving your eyeball a bit to the left isn't exactly hard, is it? It's not out of direct line of sight.

9 minutes ago, mcpattyp said:

I feel like changing the navball’s location was nothing more than to change something for the sake of changing something. Why move it out of your direct line of sight? It’s  the most important thing on the screen beside the ship itself. Whatever, it will probably be fixed by a mod in the first week

I think the reason it was moved was due to the thought 'most of the rockets you launch are vertical, so if there's nothing directly above or below, it frees more screen space to see your rocket'.

But I'm also not sure about it, as it is the most important display instrument. However, they have hinted that all the ui can be moved. So maybe move it back to the center once you're in orbit and the vessel is more horizontal than vertical. I'm hoping the game supports multiple monitors, and if so, I'm buying some small monitors to put below and beside my main one to move all the instrument ui onto.

50 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

I cant tell yet but the rotation to keep them aligned with the camera looks a lot tighter, and as cute as the movements are I think it also gives much better feedback in terms of how your inputs are moving them around. Hopefully that navigation process is just less janky and therefore less terrifying.

After watching the clip a few times, I think you're right. The reorientation to the camera does seem to be much cleaner and quicker. The slight movements of Kerbal and the exhaust effects does a much better job of conveying what is actually happening.

Super-HYPED about finally being able to play KSP 2!!!  And I'm in the 6:00 am release window, which couldn't be better IMO.

Here is my pre-launch checklist:

1.   Vacation day approved by the boss -  CHECK
  2.   Funds pre-loaded into my Steam account  -  CHECK
  3.   HDMI cable connecting the laptop to the 4k TV -  CHECK
  4.   Wireless keyboard, headphones, and lap tray staged by the couch CHECK
  5.   Wife and kids (conveniently) at work and school for the day CHECK

Help me out, fellow Kerbalites.  What am I missing to make my release-day celebration the best it can be?