KSP2 Hype Train Thread

5 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

If only there weren't 10,000 different graphics cards all with their own numbers that don't have anything at all to do with other graphics cards, I'd know how mine stacks up. A couple trips to Google tells me I'm between minimum and recommended which is fine. My core is faster than but a slightly lower 5-digit number than the recommended so I'm happy with that.

Had an site with two drop down list and you could compare various cards with it other but google did not list it now 

7 minutes ago, Fluke said:

The 1060 suprised me for a long time. It's still a pretty strong card if ypu can tweak the game right to it.

It's a matter of realizing that the game might be so poorly optimized at EA Launch that it will require the same Minimun settings as Cyberpunk does for Max.

Starting to lose hope a week away from launch.

Edited by MARL_Mk1

12 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

If only there weren't 10,000 different graphics cards all with their own numbers that don't have anything at all to do with other graphics cards, I'd know how mine stacks up. A couple trips to Google tells me I'm between minimum and recommended which is fine. My core is faster than but a slightly lower 5-digit number than the recommended so I'm happy with that.

Yeah. when I build I tend to use the ones they benchmark and rate games by. 

12 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

"We want a realistic looking game with proper shadows and clouds and scatter and reflections!!"

"OMG how can the minumum spec for the game be so high, this is crazy!!"

There's a lot of games that look WAY BETTER and require WAY LESS. It's not april, is it? 

Just now, dok_377 said:

There's a lot of games that look WAY BETTER and require WAY LESS. It's not april, is it? 

no idea, seems rather sad, with now knowing that seeing everything together, it better bet absolutely killer ingame, looks amazing, other than that the "hoard" of ksp 1 runs better with XX mod and has higher fps come..

Posting these specs with zero context was a bad idea. No wonder the discord erupted and went nuclear. What resolution is this for? Is the minimum specs for 144fps, 60fps, or 30fps? The fact that they withheld the information kind of implies that it’s the worst possibility of both of these important categories

Just for some context, the Steam Hardware Survey reports that about 40% of steam users have a  2060 or better, but that only 4% has a 3080 or better. 

Edited by mcpattyp

7 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

So my macbook actually has an i7 and a Radeon 5600 so theoretically it should be fine.. who knows with parallels tho....

You have to be careful with laptop GPUs, because they often share very similar names with their full-size desktop counterparts, but are not nearly as powerful. You probably have an RX 5600M rather than an RX 5600.

28 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Mid range has always been a shifting definition.  By 'modern' standards a 3080 is a last-Gen 2 year old piece of tech - so that's not exactly out of the custom for calling things 'mid range'. 

But like many I'm a bit weirded out by the news.  My 3070 is below spec? 

Yeek 

Agree, however 7 years ago you expected you could pick up an new card at the same price but double the performance 3 year later but  3 years later this has broken down hard as performance/price has not going down as excepted and I did not want to spend $2000 on an new graphic card if i did not need it. If upgrading I not buying an 3080 but buying something like an 4080  who will last some time. so $2k as expected years ago, waits for reviews, if no fun new tech I might wait a bit. 
Yes can easy afford it but don't like wasting money and if KSP 2 has no new fun stuff like cool engines I wait some months.  

But yes the 200 pages on this tread will fill up very fast. 

2 minutes ago, Ashandalar said:

You have to be careful with laptop GPUs, because they often share very similar names with their full-size desktop counterparts, but are not nearly as powerful. You probably have an RX 5600M rather than an RX 5600.

True... the difference doesn't look wild but it is lower. We'll see I guess.

34 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

"We want a realistic looking game with proper shadows and clouds and scatter and reflections!!"

"OMG how can the minumum spec for the game be so high, this is crazy!!"

You should change user name to Captain obvious, expected them to be pretty high then previous console generation was not in. 
Consoles tent to perform better as its not all the hardware variations we have on pc. 

Still waiting for them to say which resolution said specs are aiming for.

The fact that they skipped that completely would mean that it's for the (still main standard) 1080p60fps.

And this would be a complete utter disgrace.

Let me put everyone into perspective with some of the most demanding recent titles.

Cyberpunk 2077 Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 or AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX 1060 6GB / GTX 1660 Super or Radeon RX 590
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 70 GB available space

Red Dead Redemption 2 Recommended

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
Storage: 150 GB available space

Elden Ring Recommended

Processor: INTEL CORE I7-8700K or AMD RYZEN 5 3600X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 8 GB or AMD RADEON RX VEGA 56 8 GB
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 60 GB available space

------------------------------

Those three games will tank your machine big time, even if you've got decent hardware from 2019-2021

Unless the specs released today are based on a higher resolution than 1080p, this literally speaks for itself.

Just now, MARL_Mk1 said:

Still waiting for them to say which resolution said specs are aiming for.

The fact that they skipped that completely would mean that it's for the (still main standard) 1080p60fps.

And this would be a complete utter disgrace.

Let me put everyone into perspective with some of the most demanding recent titles.

Cyberpunk 2077 Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 or AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX 1060 6GB / GTX 1660 Super or Radeon RX 590
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 70 GB available space

Red Dead Redemption 2 Recommended

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
Storage: 150 GB available space

Elden Ring Recommended

Processor: INTEL CORE I7-8700K or AMD RYZEN 5 3600X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 8 GB or AMD RADEON RX VEGA 56 8 GB
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 60 GB available space

------------------------------

Those three games will tank your machine big time, even if you've got decent hardware from 2019-2021

Unless the specs released today are based on a higher resolution than 1080p, this literally speaks for itself.

@Ghostii_SpaceCould you perhaps provide commentary on this?

This screams “we are releasing the game half baked because we need sales to stop being a drain on Take 2’s financial reports”

I will still be buying the game. But if it’s clear to me immediately I cannot play at a reasonable 60+ fps with a part count of 50-60 I will just refund the game and either wait for optimizations or wait until I can afford to spend atleast $3000 on a new computer (Lithobraking near my desk in 2026)

13 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

So assuming that you are willing to deal with possible crashes/lag just how much could you push your PC?

That is the other problem, weaker systems get much more issues, reducing the graphic settings might not help if you has less gpu memory than minimum as the game expect that much video memory. 
If you look at games who support lots of systems but bottom is PS 4 they has way more issues, yes same is true for pc but there its much more complex, consoles are much simpler to compare. 

Oof, thems some big numbers. Glad I upgraded to a 4080 back before Dead Space Remake came out, I'll need it here. 32gb ram and i9-9900k, should be able to crank it still.

I'm not surprised its this high - I guarantee you the plan is a lot of DLC for a long time on KSP2, with a lot of supporting content features. Take2 sees a chance to monetize a very enthusiastic, if smaller, audience base similar to the flight sim crowd. So they're probably assuming that over the lifecycle of the game, this will become fairly normal.

Still, ripf to everyone rolling some old silicon. I'll put something shiny (but appropriately low res) on the mun in your honor.

Edit: I will amend to this that the 20 series is almost 5 years old, and the 10 series are almost 7. That's an eternity in computer hardware.

Edited by Profugo Barbatus

PD | Dakota18ed7a59f43b51ad0549ca24e1cce8a6.webp?siToday at 10:48 PM

For additional context: Minimum is 1080p at Low Settings Recommended is 1440p at High Settings These systems requirements are to ensure a high-quality experience while playing KSP2 in a variety of in-game scenarios. KSP 2 will work across a wide variety of hardware beyond what is listed in our recommended specs, with performance scaling based on the size and complexity of the crafts you build. Throughout the Early Access period, our development team will continue to prioritize performance optimization to ensure an optimal gameplay experience for as many @Kerbonauts as possible. We hear you and we take your feedback very seriously. You are a core part of the development process, so please continue to share your expectations for what you want your KSP2 experience to be.

Now I'm wondering: Might the game pack any form of DLSS/FSR?

KSP would be a perfect game for such kind of tech. No Man's Sky has FSR 2.0 and it literally doubles your FPS with almost unnoticeable loss of quality.

DLSS would be a fit for their requirement selection, since it's only officialy available on RTX cards (though it would most likely be unlockable unoficially by tinkering with some files) but FSR is far superior to DLSS in many ways.